Wilner (SJ Mercury News) - USC and UCLA planning to leave for B1G | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Wilner (SJ Mercury News) - USC and UCLA planning to leave for B1G

Reaction Score
Stupid question - why doesn’t the ACC just raid schools from the Big 12? Everyone is focused on the ACCs demise but as for basketball it is still a power. Add Kansas it’s even crazier. I’m sure FSU, Clemson and Miami wouldn’t mind adding Baylor and WVU for football. Better then what they currently have and there is no telling they’ll get invited anywhere else.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Stupid question - why doesn’t the ACC just raid schools from the Big 12? Everyone is focused on the ACCs demise but as for basketball it is still a power. Add Kansas it’s even crazier. I’m sure FSU, Clemson and Miami wouldn’t mind adding Baylor and WVU for football. Better then what they currently have and there is no telling they’ll get invited anywhere else.

If ESPN wants it, this could happen. Chances are they don't.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Why would Kansas get an invite over UConn? We match or better them in every category and we are in the footprint.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
So it now seems we are heading for an eventual 2 super conference breakaway for the B1G and SEC. Therefore, we may seriously end up in a situation when this all settles where there are more schools included in this Power Breakaway from the state of Indiana (Indiana, Purdue, Notre Dame), then there are from any other state including Texas (Texas, Texas A&M), Florida (Florida, Florida State), or California (USC, UCLA). And there are exactly 0 schools from a combined New York and New England, but there are two schools from Alabama, Mississippi, Tennessee, etc.

Can't wait to see that USC at Minnesota beach volleyball matchup. And how long until we see a UCLA hockey team now? And you are going to have the olympic sports (gymnastics/swimming/etc) traveling from LA to New Jersey for regular conference matchups? This is complete insanity and is a demonstration of greed at it's finest.

And we all know that they will never be happy with settling for the money they have. So it is a matter of when, not if, schools like Ohio St, Texas, USC, etc ask why the heck are they getting the same payout as Purdue, Vanderbilt, Mississippi St and then they start kicking out schools (or breaking even further into a Power, Power, Conference).

Reaction Score
No B1G Ten Universities are getting kicked out
Every BIG TEN University put out a congratulations to USC and UCLA. They have some pretty smart people running these schools who negotiated iron clad agreements for Big Ten revenue sharing for many years to come

Reaction Score
That’s what always happens anyways. It sucks being right all the time.

Please tell us how the GOR is airtight and will stop Miami, Clemson, FSU, UNC and Duke from leaving when they want to. As if every written agreement in college sports hasn’t already been violated.

I need a good laugh.
Especially when the Mouse would rather have the ACC blown up, so they can add the teams they want to the SEC.

Reaction Score
So it now seems we are heading for an eventual 2 super conference breakaway for the B1G and SEC. Therefore, we may seriously end up in a situation when this all settles where there are more schools included in this Power Breakaway from the state of Indiana (Indiana, Purdue, Notre Dame), then there are from any other state including Texas (Texas, Texas A&M), Florida (Florida, Florida State), or California (USC, UCLA). And there are exactly 0 schools from a combined New York and New England, but there are two schools from Alabama, Mississippi, Tennessee, etc.

Can't wait to see that USC at Minnesota beach volleyball matchup. And how long until we see a UCLA hockey team now? And you are going to have the olympic sports (gymnastics/swimming/etc) traveling from LA to New Jersey for regular conference matchups? This is complete insanity and is a demonstration of greed at it's finest.

And we all know that they will never be happy with settling for the money they have. So it is a matter of when, not if, schools like Ohio St, Texas, USC, etc ask why the heck are they getting the same payout as Purdue, Vanderbilt, Mississippi St and then they start kicking out schools (or breaking even further into a Power, Power, Conference).

Actually they said Beach Volleyball was the only sport definitely not making the move.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
That’s what always happens anyways. It sucks being right all the time.

Please tell us how the GOR is airtight and will stop Miami, Clemson, FSU, UNC and Duke from leaving when they want to. As if every written agreement in college sports hasn’t already been violated.

I need a good laugh.

So you have no idea what you are talking about. Got it.

Reaction Score
So you have no idea what you are talking about. Got it.

The B1G and the SEC are at war. They are both going to be picking the best of what’s left in the ACC, Big 12 and and PAC.

You really think setting up a conference for the new future of college sports is going to be stopped by a GOR?

UNC sits nicely in the footprint of both conferences. They will be fought over for sure.

You’re smoking crack if you think it’s going to stop anything.

Reaction Score

Because the remaining teams are still holding out for a Big 10 invite.

Oklahoma St. Texas Tech and the other big brands are not going to move until the dust settles.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
If the ACC adds more teams, does it make it easier for current members to argue leaving at a negotiated fee/GOR because the league will still have their contract and enough members? I honestly have zero clue on this but if the ACC is truly looking to solidify itself as a bigger conference, adding UConn and maybe USF, makes the locations stronger. USF mearly brings Florida since FSU would surely leave soon.

I'm seriously throwing darts at a wall and seeing what sticks. Curious though if this would be an option.

Reaction Score
Could UConn and some other northern schools wind up at the SEC in a SEC superconference? UConn has strong basketball, baseball. A medium level football team would allow Vandy and some of the subpar programs in the SEC to compete.

Reaction Score
Since I am in this neck of wood, there are a lot of nervousness around Stanford and UC Berkeley.

I believe B1G will wait for ND to make a decision before pulling the trigger on Oregon and Washington. B1G could pair ND with Stanford or Florida State. I really believe B1G wants in on the Florida market, and I hope they can pull Florida State from the ACC vs. dragging this out for years.

Here is a good article summarizing the perspective from Cal: Cal must prioritize following USC and UCLA into the Big Ten

Reaction Score
Why would Kansas get an invite over UConn? We match or better them in every category and we are in the footprint.

Because we have seen in the past what has happened with UConn and conference realignment. As much as it pains me to say this it almost seems as if the other conferences look down at UConn - regardless of our history.

What I should have said is this - could the ACC take those Big 12 teams and add UConn as well? It would be the premier basketball conference, and a decent football conference.

Reaction Score
I think the goal is NC and Virginia.
Yeah. I don’t agree on UVA, but I don’t even think UConn is on the B1G’s scope at the moment. So many other options in the ACC, PAC and Big 12.

Reaction Score
The end game:

SEC and B1G will continue to poach the big name brands.

Whatever is left of the PAC 12, Big 12 and ACC when it's all said and done will all unite as one conference

We will have three "super conferences" but the PAC 12/Big 12/ACC leftovers conference will NOT be anywhere close to the SEC and B1G. Rather, this conference will hold bragging rights over the Group of 5 conferences.

Reaction Score
Yeah. I don’t agree on UVA, but I don’t even think UConn is on the B1G’s scope at the moment. So many other options in the ACC, PAC and Big 12.
Current 16 teams, add:

Oregon/Washington
UNC/Virginia
FSU/UConn
Stanford/ND

Only way I see UConn ending up in the Big Ten.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
As much as it pains me to say this it almost seems as if the other conferences look down at UConn - regardless of our history.
Whaddya mean "regardless of our history"? What history? We have no FB history, that's why we never got the final chair.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom