Will Whaley consider returning? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Will Whaley consider returning?

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Here's the quote from the article:

Hurley: "With Isaiah moving on at the end of this year as a senior, we need Akok back [100 percent] next year.”

Sounds to me like he might be hedging that a bit by linking it to Akok being 100% next year. Possible translation:
If Akok is questionable (he played 1 min. yesterday) we are going to need a solid player in there (possibly Whaley).
With DH his statements are sometimes like reading tea leaves.

Reaction Score
personally view having Sanogo, Johnson, and Akok, as not nearly the number of post bodies that we need to get through a game next year...in my mind we need to get a significant big, and the best scorer possible that is 6'5 to 6'8
not to mention that sanogo is a fouling machine

cole has really eased my anxiety about the PG spot recently, so agreed- i'd like a stretch 4 and a big wing

Cole-----Diggins---Gaff
Jackson-Hawkins
Martin---???
Akok----???
Sanogo-Johnson

Bench- Adams, Springs

Last edited:
Reaction Score
As remarkable as his career has turned out considering he didn't play at all his first year with Hurley, we need to continue to move on from the old KO guys.

People were super excited to have Carlton and Polley return this year, they are now depth pieces at best. If AG came back that's what he would be now too.

I'm sure people want Whaley back, but we have Sanogo, Akok, Samson Johnson and Springs to take minutes down low. Hurley is continuing to restock the pond with more talented fish. Unless Whaley would be willing to come back in a role similar to what Carlton has become this season (doubt it when he can go make a nice living overseas) it doesn't make sense to give him our last scholarship spot.

Love the kid and he is going to be huge in whatever success we achieve down the stretch this year, but it is in the best interest of everyone for him to part ways after this year.
You must be posting on another board
Polley was coming off an ACL that has ended careers and Carlton was put behind
The new kids. Many people were hoping they would transfer out.
However the reality is without Carlton coming up big 11-9 against USC plus a Double againDePaul and Polley’s road heroics PoW
We would be shooting for a NIT bid.
For guys consigned to the scrap heap
They came up big
They won’t come back with one possible exception because it’s in their best interests not too not ours

Whaley a better. Athlete than the other to showing some range could make some serious money

Reaction Score
not to mention that sanogo is a fouling machine

cole has really eased my anxiety about the PG spot recently, so agreed- i'd like a stretch 4 and a big wing

Cole-----Diggins---Gaff
Jackson-Hawkins
Martin---???
Akok----???
Sanogo-Johnson

Bench- Adams, Springs
Man we need a quick G that can be a knock down shooter in the worst way or we’re getting zoned to death With that team.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
I want Polley back for 1 more year. We’re going to need shooting next year, badly.

Also expecting Gaffney to take a big leap next season.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
You must be posting on another board
Polley was coming off an ACL that has ended careers and Carlton was put behind
The new kids. Many people were hoping they would transfer out.
However the reality is without Carlton coming up big 11-9 against USC plus a Double againDePaul and Polley’s road heroics PoW
We would be shooting for a NIT bid.
For guys consigned to the scrap heap
They came up big
They won’t come back with one possible exception because it’s in their best interests not too not ours

Whaley a better. Athlete than the other to showing some range could make some serious money

We would be way outside the bubble without the win over USC. The whole frontcourt played great in that game, and that is why Saturday's game vs. Villanova is not a must win.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Fair enough. It's certainly an interesting situation for Hurley to be in. Maybe they'll all want to get the jump on making money, which will moot all of this. But I think Whaley's the one that I'd want to keep around for another year. If Springs accepts that he's a long term development guy I would hope that wouldn't cause him to look elsewhere.

As for the class being full I assume you're talking about a transfer with immediate eligibility . . .

I guess I'm wondering if he'd want to come back or start making money. If he comes back, the reality is that Sanogo needs to be the starting 5 and Akok the 4. So his presence can't threaten that (and shouldn't, he's not as talented as either of those guys). Johnson isn't really a project, he's an immediate impact player who, like Akok, could possibly start if he didn't have somebody (Akok) in front of him. Springs intrigues me because Hurley loved his rebounding, and he has the size to be a 5 or 4 for us. He's been practicing for 2 years. We wonder why he doesn't get in, but really, the likely reason is Sanogo, Whaley, Carlton. He redshirted last year, and due to Covid technically still has 4 years of eligibility. But will he want to be in college for 6 years?

And yes, if Bouk leaves we have two open scholarships. So room for a grad transfer and a freshman. Also a straight transfer who sits.

Reaction Score
I would take Whaley at 10-12 mins/game over a grad transfer that might ride the bench.

But for the sake of his career he should go pro overseas unless G-league comes knocking.

Reaction Score
I guess I'm wondering if he'd want to come back or start making money. If he comes back, the reality is that Sanogo needs to be the starting 5 and Akok the 4. So his presence can't threaten that (and shouldn't, he's not as talented as either of those guys). Johnson isn't really a project, he's an immediate impact player who, like Akok, could possibly start if he didn't have somebody (Akok) in front of him. Springs intrigues me because Hurley loved his rebounding, and he has the size to be a 5 or 4 for us. He's been practicing for 2 years. We wonder why he doesn't get in, but really, the likely reason is Sanogo, Whaley, Carlton. He redshirted last year, and due to Covid technically still has 4 years of eligibility. But will he want to be in college for 6 years?

And yes, if Bouk leaves we have two open scholarships. So room for a grad transfer and a freshman. Also a straight transfer who sits.

So even if Whaley is better we NEED to play Akok and Sanogo? He's not as talented but he's a better player overall so he should sit and hope these guys get better as him? Kids need to earn the time I think so just because Akok, Johnson and Sanogo are more athletic means little I want the guy on the court that helps me win. Whaley has done more of that than either of Akok or Sanogo this year so why not next year?

Again not sure if he's thinking of it at all but I'd be happy to have that guy in the rotation if he wants to stay. We need people to believe they're better than those in front of them and earn their minutes. Sang will be the man at the 5 I do believe that, nothing I've seen from Akok yet tells me he's ready, maybe he just needs time maybe not.

Sorry HH other teams will take advantage of this rule if kids want to come back we should bring back ours as well if they feel they want to.

Reaction Score

Just for sanity's sake, here are a couple current year Big East rankings for the guy you think should definitely not start over Akok or Sanogo if he was on the team next year.

1613664342734.png
1613664458961.png

Reaction Score
Don't think there will be any more of those since it is expected that the NCAA will allow everyone one free transfer. Unless of course the transfer decides he wants to sit out a year.

Reaction Score
If he comes back, the reality is that Sanogo needs to be the starting 5 and Akok the 4.

If he comes back, the reality is that the two bigs who, paired together, give us the best chance of winning are going to start. Not the two bigs with the most NBA potential. Maybe that would be Sanogo and Akok, but it's just as likely that Whalley paired with one of them is the better lineup.

Reaction Score
This isn't that difficult, Hurley is planning on our starting frontcourt next year being Sanogo at center and Akok at power forward. Would it be awesome having Whaley back them up next season, yes but he's played four years of college ball and there's good money to be made after this season for him.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
If he comes back, the reality is that the two bigs who, paired together, give us the best chance of winning are going to start. Not the two bigs with the most NBA potential. Maybe that would be Sanogo and Akok, but it's just as likely that Whalley paired with one of them is the better lineup.

Well we have Whaley paired with Sanogo now, and it is pretty obvious that it isn't ideal, even if it is the best option at the moment. Akok is a more natural fit to play with either Sanogo or Whaley. He can shoot outside, cover guys on the perimeter, and also provide rim protection and speed that neither Whaley or Sanogo have. I don't see Sanogo coming off the bench next year, he doesn't now. He already replaced Whaley at center. Certainly Dan will play the guys he thinks should play. I think there are plenty of minutes for Whaley at backup center with Carlton gone. I don't think he's going to be a better option than Akok (who started all last year at the 4 until his injury) and I expect Johnson will play as well.

I really like what Whaley brings on D, and his energy. That said, he may have gone from most underrated guy on the team to most overrated guy on the team.

Reaction Score
Well we have Whaley paired with Sanogo now, and it is pretty obvious that it isn't ideal, even if it is the best option at the moment. Akok is a more natural fit to play with either Sanogo or Whaley. He can shoot outside, cover guys on the perimeter, and also provide rim protection and speed that neither Whaley or Sanogo have. I don't see Sanogo coming off the bench next year, he doesn't now. He already replaced Whaley at center. Certainly Dan will play the guys he thinks should play. I think there are plenty of minutes for Whaley at backup center with Carlton gone. I don't think he's going to be a better option than Akok (who started all last year at the 4 until his injury) and I expect Johnson will play as well.

I really like what Whaley brings on D, and his energy. That said, he may have gone from most underrated guy on the team to most overrated guy on the team.
He was playing great at the end of last year and early this year but in our losses he's been pretty bad. When he's on and playing with tons of energy he has a huge effect on the game and becomes a sort of emotional leader but he hasn't been good on the offensive end in a while. Part of that may have to do with him playing pf when Sanogo is in but he seems to be playing more as center lately again and he's still missing layups. If he can bring that defensive player of the year game and make his layups again we're going to be really tough to beat.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom