Will Whaley consider returning? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Will Whaley consider returning?

Reaction Score
He's not our best big now. And if Akok was healthy, the starters would and should be Sanogo and Akok. Without a doubt. Johnson will also want to play, and Springs will be a Junior. Not saying we wouldn't be better if he comes back for the added depth, but I think the guys recruited expecting to have the seniors graduate shouldn't be negatively impacted. Don't we also project to have two more open scholarships as well, if Bouk goes?
He's not our best big now. And if Akok was healthy, the starters would and should be Sanogo and Akok. Without a doubt. Johnson will also want to play, and Springs will be a Junior. Not saying we wouldn't be better if he comes back for the added depth, but I think the guys recruited expecting to have the seniors graduate shouldn't be negatively impacted. Don't we also project to have two more open scholarships as well, if Bouk goes?
You know I respect your opinion but on this I will agree to disagree. He is our best big right now overall and that's why he plays all the minutes he does. Sanogo is our best back to the basket offensive player, Akok may have been if 100% not sure. It looks like it won't matter what we think anyway but we're a better team with him back and playing 25-30 minutes a game next year I think. Just can't make that 5th year of experience up easily.

Reaction Score
Without a doubt. Johnson will also want to play, and Springs will be a Junior. Not saying we wouldn't be better if he comes back for the added depth, but I think the guys recruited expecting to have the seniors graduate shouldn't be negatively impacted.

I don't think Springs is beating out a 5th year Whaley for minutes, and Johnson is a high ceiling guy who's raw. Again, I don't really feel strongly about what should happen but I think this underrates Whaley's value, particularly vis-a-vis young, unproven guys. He's not just going to be adding depth with guys that he's better than playing over him.

Reaction Score
My vote is no. He'll be riding good momentum to a possible pro career and it's doubtful he'll get the same minutes next year so while I'd love him back, it's wise for him to try to make some $$$ next year.

I'd take his available scholarship for a grad transfer big who is comfortable playing a "Josh Carlton 20-21 role" behind Adama in exchange for playing at a higher level program, hopefully a guy who's always wanted to play at UConn.

For example, a EJ Anosike from Sacred Heart to Tennessee would be an ideal situation.

Scouring the transfer market, Montana's Michael Steadman is a guy who would be a nice fit. A 6'10 215 athletic big averaging 11.9p, 7.3r and 50 fg%. After playing in JUCO, San Jose State and Montana, maybe he'd want an opportunity to be part of the Huskies in a reserve role? Just an example. I've seen him play on TV a bit (wife is a UM alum and I like following their program) and while he's a good player, he's had a kinda similar fortune to Josh Carlton: a promising freshman was given more minutes so Montana is playing more of the long game here.

Of course, we need more talent, but there's no true bigs behind Adama in 21-22.
Whaley is not taking anyone's scholarship next year due to the ruling passed by the NCAA. Why are people getting this confused over and over. Yes he might take a spot in the development of a player but not their scholarship.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
I don't think Springs is beating out a 5th year Whaley for minutes, and Johnson is a high ceiling guy who's raw. Again, I don't really feel strongly about what should happen but I think this underrates Whaley's value, particularly vis-a-vis young, unproven guys. He's not just going to be adding depth with guys that he's better than playing over him.
Agree. Easy to see the value for the team but less clear what the value is to Poppers’ career.

Reaction Score
Adama will be the only true center on the team next year with Javonte no longer in the fold. Definitely going to be alot of quicker, smaller lineups with Samson, Akok, Springs? at the five.
I'm psyched about an Akok Sanogo starting frontcourt next season, I think their games will match perfectly together.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
You guys realize that moving on may mean the transfer portal right? Not Korea or the Ukraine or Italy. If any player is considering staying in college for their “ free” year, you would have to look at them as a potential recruit. No?

I for one would recruit the heck out of Whaley in particular , if he indicates he wants to play another year of COLLEGE hoops somewhere. Others may find a better fit and more minutes elsewhere, Whaley gets how Hurley wants to play. Could be an asset.

Reaction Score
I'd take him back because he makes us a better team, he's a great worker and we'll win more games with him than without him. But if someone's offering him good money to play overseas he should seriously consider it.

Reaction Score
My vote is no. He'll be riding good momentum to a possible pro career and it's doubtful he'll get the same minutes next year so while I'd love him back, it's wise for him to try to make some $$$ next year.

I'd take his available scholarship for a grad transfer big who is comfortable playing a "Josh Carlton 20-21 role" behind Adama in exchange for playing at a higher level program, hopefully a guy who's always wanted to play at UConn.

For example, a EJ Anosike from Sacred Heart to Tennessee would be an ideal situation.

Scouring the transfer market, Montana's Michael Steadman is a guy who would be a nice fit. A 6'10 215 athletic big averaging 11.9p, 7.3r and 50 fg%. After playing in JUCO, San Jose State and Montana, maybe he'd want an opportunity to be part of the Huskies in a reserve role? Just an example. I've seen him play on TV a bit (wife is a UM alum and I like following their program) and while he's a good player, he's had a kinda similar fortune to Josh Carlton: a promising freshman was given more minutes so Montana is playing more of the long game here.

Of course, we need more talent, but there's no true bigs behind Adama in 21-22.

I'm sorry but this line of thinking makes no sense to me. First, as someone said above, I'm not sure his scholarship counts against the limit.

More importantly, why would we look at bringing in a grad transfer from a smaller school for a year and hoping that works out rather than just keeping the kid we already know can play against Big East talent? What's the sense in swapping an extra year of Whaley for a backup from Montana?

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
You guys realize that moving on may mean the transfer portal right? Not Korea or the Ukraine or Italy. If any player is considering staying in college for their “ free” year, you would have to look at them as a potential recruit. No?

I for one would recruit the heck out of Whaley in particular , if he indicates he wants to play another year of COLLEGE hoops somewhere. Others may find a better fit and more minutes elsewhere, Whaley gets how Hurley wants to play. Could be an asset.
You can't do that was my understanding.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Anyone who doesn't think Whaley is our best big right now by a clear margin prefers reading about basketball recruiting to actual basketball or winning basketball. Sanogo has some serious skills but he is still more show horse than race horse. Akok need to do more than just take off his warmups for a few games to even be in the conversation.

Reaction Score
For selfish reasons I would love to have him back. I really enjoy watching him play. I expect him to move on though. Time to earn a living

Reaction Score
Whaley is not taking anyone's scholarship next year due to the ruling passed by the NCAA. Why are people getting this confused over and over. Yes he might take a spot in the development of a player but not their scholarship.
Casual fans

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Beats him out? No. Leaves if he’s a junior and has no path to ever seeing the court because now Clingan is in the conversation? Maybe that’s just how it is. But I think we want him around in two years, when Sanogo may be gone. I think Whaley has clear value to UConn as a depth big. But does he want a 5th year? We also don’t know who else could be coming in next season. Class isn’t full.

Reaction Score
I even wonder if Springs will come back. With or without him, we are certainly going to need to bring in some bigs if nothing else just for depth. Hopefully a grad/transfer or two are coming our way. Or, maybe a high school player that committed to a program which keeps its bigs due to the Covid extra year option would consider coming to UConn instead. The staff is going to have to work hard to ensure we have the needed depth up front.
If u want a grad transfer why not just hope Whaley stays? You think you are getting someone better than Wheatley? and he knows the system and teammates

Reaction Score
If u want a grad transfer why not just hope Whaley stays? You think you are getting someone better than Wheatley? and he knows the system and teammates
No, I did not say that. I am just assuming at this point that he will leave for pro ball - given what Hurley said. So, gotta start looking for replacements.

Reaction Score
Beats him out? No. Leaves if he’s a junior and has no path to ever seeing the court because now Clingan is in the conversation? Maybe that’s just how it is. But I think we want him around in two years, when Sanogo may be gone. I think Whaley has clear value to UConn as a depth big. But does he want a 5th year? We also don’t know who else could be coming in next season. Class isn’t full.

Fair enough. It's certainly an interesting situation for Hurley to be in. Maybe they'll all want to get the jump on making money, which will moot all of this. But I think Whaley's the one that I'd want to keep around for another year. If Springs accepts that he's a long term development guy I would hope that wouldn't cause him to look elsewhere.

As for the class being full I assume you're talking about a transfer with immediate eligibility . . .

Reaction Score
The incoming class can be at least one more - two if Bouk leaves. Three if anyone else less than a senior also leaves... I am starting to wonder if Springs will ever develop into more than just a practice player. With all of our injuries and the ups and downs of Carlton this year, you would like to have thought that he would have gotten more than just the one cameo appearance in a blow out.

Reaction Score
If he wants to stay, you keep him...period. He is one of our best players and I love his attitude. If he gets a good offer to make money and decides to leave, I wish him the best. I hope he stays.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
I started laughing so hard. Whaley leads the Big East in defensive rating and blocks this season according to sports-reference.com, but if he came back next year he’d need to be a backup and play 10 minutes a game.

As this guy said. Some people actually don’t want the guy who should win BE DPOY...

I’m excited sanogo’s potential as well, but...

...you need multiple good players...especially with this team’s luck over the years

Reaction Score
I think Whaley is my favorite player on the team but he should graduate and go get paid in Europe or give the G-League a shot. Dude had a storybook career. He came in as an afterthought at the absolute rock bottom in recent UConn history and then got buried on the bench under a new coach. Now, in his senior season, he is the favorite to win Big East DPOY and is playing a huge role on a tournament-caliber team.

That said, if he wants to come back and get his Masters for free and play in front of 10,000+ fans again, I would certainly be happy to have him.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
I think Whaley is my favorite player on the team but he should graduate and go get paid in Europe or give the G-League a shot. Dude had a storybook career. He came in as an afterthought at the absolute rock bottom in recent UConn history and then got buried on the bench under a new coach. Now, in his senior season, he is the favorite to win Big East DPOY and is playing a huge role on a tournament-caliber team.

That said, if he wants to come back and get his Masters for free and play in front of 10,000+ fans again, I would certainly be happy to have him.

This is a reason for him to return. Last year was cut short and no fans this year. He loves to do his stuff infront of fans.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Btw, who else knows that this is available? My sister regularly txts it to me during games.

?

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score

Yes, this is basically my take.

I can’t blame the kids who want to get paid. But I’ll happily take him back.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom