Will Whaley consider returning? | The Boneyard

Will Whaley consider returning?

Wordbomar

"Walker on McGee with four.."
Reaction Score
It is amazing how much he brings to this team emotionally and intangibly. In the pre-season, he mentioned that he would consider a 5th year to have a more "normal" senior season. I know we have Samson coming in next year, but since Javonte transferred and Bouk is likely leaving, we have two open scholly's and I would love to see a fifth year senior named Isaiah Whaley on the roster next season. Thoughts?

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
Who knows. Earlier Whaley said he would consider it. The other week Hurley mentioned that Whaley will be moving on as a senior (in one of his videos) .... I would love for him to be back, but would it clash with Adama's progress ?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Who knows. Earlier Whaley said he would consider it. The other week Hurley mentioned that Whaley will be moving on as a senior (in one of his videos) .... I would love for him to be back, but would it clash with Adama's progress ?

It certainly would limit Springs' ability to get on the floor. I think Whaley would need to come in understanding he'd be in a backup role, maybe 10 minutes a game. If he is set to graduate and doesn't need more time to do so, I'm not sure why he wouldn't just get on with his post college life.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
As remarkable as his career has turned out considering he didn't play at all his first year with Hurley, we need to continue to move on from the old KO guys.

People were super excited to have Carlton and Polley return this year, they are now depth pieces at best. If AG came back that's what he would be now too.

I'm sure people want Whaley back, but we have Sanogo, Akok, Samson Johnson and Springs to take minutes down low. Hurley is continuing to restock the pond with more talented fish. Unless Whaley would be willing to come back in a role similar to what Carlton has become this season (doubt it when he can go make a nice living overseas) it doesn't make sense to give him our last scholarship spot.

Love the kid and he is going to be huge in whatever success we achieve down the stretch this year, but it is in the best interest of everyone for him to part ways after this year.

Reaction Score
I would love for it to happen but I don’t think it will. Hurley has already hinted at the seniors all moving on.

Psolo12

Future Doctor of Law
Reaction Score
Adama will be the only true center on the team next year with Javonte no longer in the fold. Definitely going to be alot of quicker, smaller lineups with Samson, Akok, Springs? at the five.

Reaction Score
I don't know if he's coming back or not but the idea that he would lose minutes to guys he's still going to be better than next year is a bit strange.
I started laughing so hard. Whaley leads the Big East in defensive rating and blocks this season according to sports-reference.com, but if he came back next year he’d need to be a backup and play 10 minutes a game.

Reaction Score
Adama will be the only true center on the team next year with Javonte no longer in the fold. Definitely going to be alot of quicker, smaller lineups with Samson, Akok, Springs? at the five.
Two open scholarships once Bouk declares. Have to imagine one is used on a center.

Reaction Score
No, he's going to make money playing basketball and leave. Same with Polley and Carlton

Reaction Score
I personally view having Sanogo, Johnson, and Akok, as not nearly the number of post bodies that we need to get through a game next year, let alone a season where any kind of nagging injury could show up. If Springs can't even grab a minute this year, I don't know how you can count on him at all. We have no idea if he can contribute. There are very few top 100 2021 players available, we don't have an overseas pipeline on the men's side, and I doubt there are jucos to help. That means that we will be filling 2 or more spots via the transfer route. In my mind we need to get a significant big, and the best scorer possible that is 6'5 to 6'8. I would welcome any of our guys back in a heartbeat.

Reaction Score
It certainly would limit Springs' ability to get on the floor. I think Whaley would need to come in understanding he'd be in a backup role, maybe 10 minutes a game. If he is set to graduate and doesn't need more time to do so, I'm not sure why he wouldn't just get on with his post college life.

HH not sure why you would say that? He would be our best big defender once again and shot blocker. Why would our overall best big get only 10 minutes next year? If he wants to come back and be all in, he gets close to what he's getting this year and we're a better team for having him return I think don't you? Unless of course Johnson or Springs take some of his minutes having earned them.

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
HH not sure why you would say that. He would be our best big defender once again and shot blocker. Why would our overall best big get only 10 minutes next year? If he wants to come back and be all in he gets close to what he's getting this year and we're a better team for having him return I think?

He's not our best big now. And if Akok was healthy, the starters would and should be Sanogo and Akok. Without a doubt. Johnson will also want to play, and Springs will be a Junior. Not saying we wouldn't be better if he comes back for the added depth, but I think the guys recruited expecting to have the seniors graduate shouldn't be negatively impacted. Don't we also project to have two more open scholarships as well, if Bouk goes?

Reaction Score
My vote is no. He'll be riding good momentum to a possible pro career and it's doubtful he'll get the same minutes next year so while I'd love him back, it's wise for him to try to make some $$$ next year.

I'd take his available scholarship for a grad transfer big who is comfortable playing a "Josh Carlton 20-21 role" behind Adama in exchange for playing at a higher level program, hopefully a guy who's always wanted to play at UConn.

For example, a EJ Anosike from Sacred Heart to Tennessee would be an ideal situation.

Scouring the transfer market, Montana's Michael Steadman is a guy who would be a nice fit. A 6'10 215 athletic big averaging 11.9p, 7.3r and 50 fg%. After playing in JUCO, San Jose State and Montana, maybe he'd want an opportunity to be part of the Huskies in a reserve role? Just an example. I've seen him play on TV a bit (wife is a UM alum and I like following their program) and while he's a good player, he's had a kinda similar fortune to Josh Carlton: a promising freshman was given more minutes so Montana is playing more of the long game here.

Of course, we need more talent, but there's no true bigs behind Adama in 21-22.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I even wonder if Springs will come back. With or without him, we are certainly going to need to bring in some bigs if nothing else just for depth. Hopefully a grad/transfer or two are coming our way. Or, maybe a high school player that committed to a program which keeps its bigs due to the Covid extra year option would consider coming to UConn instead. The staff is going to have to work hard to ensure we have the needed depth up front.

Reaction Score
As a fan, I’d take Whaley or Carlton back. We need another solid big. If I were Springs et al, I probably wouldn’t care for that idea. The coach will have to make a hard decision on a couple of these guys and their covid year, should they want to come back. It is entirely possible they will want to go make money and they aren’t an option.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom