OT: Will the Yankees make the playoffs?

Will the Yankees make the playoffs?

• Yes

Votes: 77 66.4%
  • No

Votes: 39 33.6%

• Total voters
Reaction Score
The question should be, will the Red Sox?
Not looking good for the Sox and I am a longtime fan. They have been in freefall since All Star break. Fortunately, they played the Orioles over the weekend. At least Sale is back.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
As of today, Yankees would be hosting a playoff game. Red Sox and Mets outside looking in. 1 month ago that was flipped. Yankees are HOT.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
My slow pitch team could sweep one of these 7 innings doubleheaders from the Sox. They just can’t do it

Reaction Score
A true playoff team needs two aces, let’s get in the playoffs first and worry about that next.

Yankee baseball is always better when the Red Sox and Mets are in the mix. Every game counts

Reaction Score
Thought the Yankees would’ve pushed harder to get Ohtani, grabbing a premium Asian player opens up a huge revenue source for selling the YES network, jerseys, etc. Matusui, Irabu, Tanaka, Ichiro, and Wang = $$$$$$. I can see why Ohtani wanted to play closer to home for travel purposes.
Honestly think Angels was one of the few teams that agreed to let Ohtani pitch and hit. If Ohtani signed with the Yankees, I think they would have pushed him to be a pitcher or hitter but not both. Joe Maddon is managing Ohtani very well right now, and he is giving him plenty of opportunities to hit and pitch. Angels just need more talent around him since both Rendon and Trout have been on IL most of the season.

There are a ton of baseball talent in Asia. Teams should definitely bring more players from that region to grow the game more internationally. Ohtani alone has made baseball more popular this year.

Reaction Score
A true playoff team needs two aces, let’s get in the playoffs first and worry about that next.

Yankee baseball is always better when the Red Sox and Mets are in the mix. Every game counts
After the sticky cheating thing with the MLB, didn't Cole's pitches dropped a ton in RPM once he can't use the stuff anymore? He still pitched well last game against Angels but he got a ton of help from the ump.

Reaction Score
I don’t follow baseball but I inevitably watch a few games with my son in law and grandson when I’m in Ct
I was shocked at the 7 inning double header. What’s next no extra innings instead the managers play best two out three rock , paper , scissors.
The old baseball guys who taught me the game are rolling over in their graves.

Reaction Score
I don’t follow baseball but I inevitably watch a few games with my son in law and grandson when I’m in Ct
I was shocked at the 7 inning double header. What’s next no extra innings instead the managers play best two out three rock , paper , scissors.
It's a temporary Covid thing, not a permanent change

Reaction Score
As an Angles fan, Cole got all kinds of calls yesterday against the Angels in that 2-1 win. There were at least 8 or 9 balls that were balls got called strikes by the ump for Cole, so that certainly helped the Yankees. They really need to start using robo umps in the league cause the game yesterday was ridiculous.

Anyway, if Angels get Trout back, they could be a threat too. The wild card will come down to A's, Boston, Blue Jays, Yankees, and maybe Angels (probably wishful thinking) if their new young bullpen can be half competent. Both Ohtani and Trout deserve better.
Disagree wholeheartedly about robo umps. Having spoken at length with a few members in the cardinals scouting and front office they told me it actually lengthens games from it being tried in the minors cause every pitch has to be double checked in the booth. Also every ump has a slightly different strike zone ( whether they favor the inside/ outside/ low/ high)that is in line with the current strike zone and once that zone is established they are at about 97-98% accuracy

There is no need for auto umps

Reaction Score
They are getting rid of 7 inning double headers and the extra baserunner in extra innings per my conversation with people in cardinals organization. They were implemented for covid reasons

conn4>cuse1

Zone Is For Cowards
Reaction Score
After the sticky cheating thing with the MLB, didn't Cole's pitches dropped a ton in RPM once he can't use the stuff anymore? He still pitched well last game against Angels but he got a ton of help from the ump.
Where do you get off. This is the BONEYARD and I’ve never heard such ridiculously biased and outlandish takes as the ones you have been throwing out of your a** in this thread. Yes his rpm dropped but not drastically and if you pay attention to the chart posted by @CCSUblue the ump got 92% correct which is pretty damn good. There is no reason for robo umps, for numerous reasons. Umps are part of baseball and you’ll have to deal with that. The fact that you are trying to discount gerrit Cole’s skills as a top three starter in the league is crazy. You are just a hurt little Angels fan who is upset his team is ten games under.
Please stop thinking the angels have an inkling of a chance a WC it is one of the least realistic things I’ve ever heard. Get out of the clouds and come back down to earth.

Reaction Score
Where do you get off. This is the BONEYARD and I’ve never heard such ridiculously biased and outlandish takes as the ones you have been throwing out of your a** in this thread. Yes his rpm dropped but not drastically and if you pay attention to the chart posted by @CCSUblue the ump got 92% correct which is pretty damn good. There is no reason for robo umps, for numerous reasons. Umps are part of baseball and you’ll have to deal with that. The fact that you are trying to discount gerrit Cole’s skills as a top three starter in the league is crazy. You are just a hurt little Angels fan who is upset his team is ten games under.
Please stop thinking the angels have an inkling of a chance a WC it is one of the least realistic things I’ve ever heard. Get out of the clouds and come back down to earth.
I think you are the one being an a**. Yeah we need robo umps cause some of the calls are ridiculous. They definitely didn't help the Angels that particular game. People that have no idea what they are talking about shouldn't have such strong opinions.

Cole's RPM dropped a ton. This isn't just my opinion, it is in the data. I would say 6.3% drop is significant for a pitcher.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210818_102010_com.android.chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210818_102010_com.android.chrome.jpg
    393.7 KB · Views: 104

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Forgot to mention theres serious discussion about eliminating the shift
Better to learn how to hit against it. Most of the players today are strong enough to hit the ball out of most parks to any field. The only guy I have ever seen effectively hit against the shift was Ted Williams. Most guys get eaten up by it. They are giving players the whole side of the infield.

Reaction Score
Disagree wholeheartedly about robo umps. Having spoken at length with a few members in the cardinals scouting and front office they told me it actually lengthens games from it being tried in the minors cause every pitch has to be double checked in the booth. Also every ump has a slightly different strike zone ( whether they favor the inside/ outside/ low/ high)that is in line with the current strike zone and once that zone is established they are at about 97-98% accuracy

There is no need for auto umps
Not sure why it would take so long since it is working just fine in Tennis. During Covid, there were tennis matches where robot judges made all the calls, and it worked well. Robo ump can literally make the call instantly (green light for strikes, red for balls) right behind the catcher. The technology is there.

I do understand it would be a little weird to have AI calling balls and strikes, but most pitchers and hitters just want consistency vs. guessing with each ump.

Reaction Score
Not sure why it would take so long since it is working just fine in Tennis. During Covid, there were tennis matches where robot judges made all the calls, and it worked well. Robo ump can literally make the call instantly (green light for strikes, red for balls) right behind the catcher. The technology is there.

I do understand it would be a little weird to have AI calling balls and strikes, but most pitchers and hitters just want consistency vs. guessing with each ump.

Ridiculous to take away umps might as well have robots at bat or just allow everyone to do steroids. Geez no please no way!

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Not wrong about the Cole game.

View attachment 69214
Whine on about Cole. It’s the umpiring and I’ve seen enough Yankee games to know how bad some umps are and it 95% or more favors the pitcher. Plenty of Yankee batters have been forced to swing at mostly outside pitches off the plate because of called strikes that are a few inches off the plate. But it affects both teams. A lot of umps think Judge’s knees are in the middle of his calves.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Ridiculous to take away umps might as well have robots at bat or just allow everyone to do steroids. Geez no please no way!
This is actually how the Yankees front office currently thinks the game is played lmao

Reaction Score
You're right...I want Angel Hernandez working all my games if I'm a player :rolleyes: Why wouldn't want a technology that is consistent for both teams...even if it's not perfect..it's more accurate than people and it's consistent.

If technology is there, why not use it?

Reaction Score
You're right...I want Angel Hernandez working all my games if I'm a player :rolleyes: Why wouldn't want a technology that is consistent for both teams...even if it's not perfect..it's more accurate than people and it's consistent.

If technology is there, why not use it?
Umpiring is part of baseball that’s why. It’s baseball we want sensors and technology out there instead of what baseball has been forever? All part of the game no reason to change. They do have replay where needed that’s plenty. Just an old baseball guy who thinks it would be an awful change for America’s game. Simple!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom