Will Norwich go the way of our ACC bid? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Will Norwich go the way of our ACC bid?

Reaction Score
The economic multiplier is risky; it may work for professional teams but I don't see a single A team in Norwich revitalizes a core business area.
Also, there needs to be caution from the municipalities throwing economic development money or tax incentives to these teams just like they need to be cautious for other business ventures. Not every town/city throws money at phone call centers- and there're good reasons why they don't. I don't buy the argument that minor league teams can't be folded because they received some level of public funding or support.

I am not saying its wise for governments to help subsidize sports of any league and level nor that the owners can't fold a team. Just saying that with so much public money spent on these teams, primarily stadiums, a large, league-led consolidation of teams is going to generate considerable political push back.

Reaction Score
This. If Obama had said "I hope UConn wins four more times in the next 20 years," we have a group of posters who would support Trump taking executive action to stop UConn from winning.
Yes. The likes of you and nellie are so unhinged you believe this 100%. I was no fan of Obama, but I enjoyed watching the teams make their visits to the white house and watching Obama fill out his dance card.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I don't understand why these guys need to take all the money possible. God forbid they leave a percent or two on the table for the greater good. I guess that makes me a commie. The minor leagues are a great investment for baseball in general, it's more than just player development. This past year, I coincidentally happened to overhear 2 different conversations between young women taking about sports (in line at the phone store, at the bar of a brewpub w/GF; attempting to mitigate the creep factor). In both cases, all the women liked going to games but didn't watch on TV because they thought it was too boring. People overall like going to games, killing teams is going the wrong way.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I don't understand why these guys need to take all the money possible. God forbid they leave a percent or two on the table for the greater good. I guess that makes me a commie. The minor leagues are a great investment for baseball in general, it's more than just player development. This past year, I coincidentally happened to overhear 2 different conversations between young women taking about sports (in line at the phone store, at the bar of a brewpub w/GF; attempting to mitigate the creep factor). In both cases, all the women liked going to games but didn't watch on TV because they thought it was too boring. People overall like going to games, killing teams is going the wrong way.

I think Norwich is the problem more than anything else. That is a real isolated area (And yes, I realize many minor league teams are in small areas). With CT and New England being so compact size wise there are so many other options for locals to do rather than go to a game. Put a minor league team in Montana and you might be three hours away from the next "town".

Ideally I think a AA team in Hartford makes sense. I would think Fairfield County could easily support another AA or AAA franchise. Really anywhere on the shoreline and I-95 corridor up through New Haven could support another team. Rhode Island has a AAA team. I have no idea what the rest of New England supports for teams.

Reaction Score
One might overhear talkers about liking live games...

But anecdotes may not be turning into turnstile reality...

Averaging 1,903 butts in the seats the last season, Norwich would be kind of tight if independently meeting payroll costs, equipment costs, stadium lease costs, utilities, insurance, transportation..etc. without MLB subsidy.

The contraction of minor league baseball is because teams just aren't self supporting and are a business drag.

Owners own a a business....and like businesses do, they sometimes shut down unprofitable locations.

Reaction Score
Ideally I think a AA team in Hartford makes sense. I would think Fairfield County could easily support another AA or AAA franchise. Really anywhere on the shoreline and I-95 corridor up through New Haven could support another team. Rhode Island has a AAA team. I have no idea what the rest of New England supports for teams.

I agree on Fairfield County and was surprised that the Bridgeport Bluefish (independent) folded as their stadium is being converted into a music venue. That said, for some reason, minor league teams struggle in Southern Connecticut, maybe because NYC is so close? Back in the day, I remember going to West Haven to see team affiliated with the A's and Yankees and the Waterbury Indians. More recent, the bank I interned for had seats at the New Haven Ravens, which played at Yale's baseball stadium.

Also, as a FYI, Rhode Island is losing their AAA team, the Pawtucket PawSox, in the next year or two as they are moving into a brand-new stadium in Worcester MA and thus will be known as the Worcester WooSox. The move was primarily because the new owner of the PawSox wanted out of Pawtucket and failed to get State and City support, i.e. money, from Providence.

Reaction Score
Maybe there is a saturation point....New Brittain and now the Yard Goats are just 40 miles away from Norwich.

Last edited:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Also, as a FYI, Rhode Island is losing their AAA team, the Pawtucket PawSox, in the next year or two as they are moving into a brand-new stadium in Worcester MA and thus will be known as the Worcester WooSox. The move was primarily because the new owner of the PawSox wanted out of Pawtucket and failed to get State and City support, i.e. money, from Providence.
Thanks for nothing, Schilling.

Reaction Score
MLB wants long term stability in franchising, certainty in quality of facilities, and geographic rationalization. I think mostly they want to stop paying for players who have no realistic chance of making the major leagues. These are all reasonable concerns.

I'm not sure why an expenditure of public money on a baseball field creates a legal obligation to keep a baseball team on the field.

Reaction Score
Maybe there is a saturation point....New Brittain and now the Yard Goats are just 40 miles away from Norwich.
It would take around an hour to drive from Norwich to Hartford. Difference is whether stadiums are in desirable locations withim their own markets. It's not exactly rural up here.

Reaction Score
It would take around an hour to drive from Norwich to Hartford. Difference is whether stadiums are in desirable locations withim their own markets. It's not exactly rural up here.

If it were rural, it may take longer..LOL.

Here, a spot 17.9 "as the crow flys" miles from my house (per GPS) takes 50 miles of winding mountain driving and an hour and a half to get there.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom