Will Nika Play? | The Boneyard

Will Nika Play?

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

"Today she got on the court for the first time and went up and down a little bit, spent a little bit of time for the first time since whenever it happened and gave it a shot,” Auriemma said. “What that means is really nothing, because we need to see how she wakes up tomorrow morning, how it feels. But the fact that she could get out on the floor for just a little bit today is a real positive sign.”

“No, I’m not happy [with the rotation]. I’m not as happy as if we had Nika 100 percent,” he said. “If we had Nika 100 percent, we’re a different basketball team. Much different basketball team.”

Reaction Score
I really want her to play, but I wouldn’t take the chance for possible further injury. From what I read, a high ankle sprain takes 6-8 weeks to heal. To me it’s not worth the risk.

Reaction Score
Lebron James suffered a high ankle injury and has to rest over a month. Therefore, seems impossible for Nika to play the rest of games.

Reaction Score
Suppose it’s a question of whether playing would make her ankle worse (they wouldn’t let her risk further injury you’d expect) or whether it’s just a case of can she deal with the pain? The fact she’s joined in a little with practice gives you hope she might be able to atleast give it a go and play some minutes. It would be a huge shame for personally if she took no further part in the tournament.

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
There are mild sprains and severe sprains and a range in between. I am certain that the physicians, trainers and coaches at UConn are working in Nika best interest and won't let her on the court until the right time.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I really want her to play, but I wouldn’t take the chance for possible further injury. From what I read, a high ankle sprain takes 6-8 weeks to heal. To me it’s not worth the risk.
An excellent write up. High Ankle Sprain | Symptoms, treatment, recovery, taping & surgery

A mild hgh ankle sprain may be a 4 day affair, but recovery may take months for a partial or total membrane tear.

When in doubt I hope she sits on the bench and roots her team home.

Reaction Score
I’m sure coach will follow medical’s directives.
May even overcompensate on the side of safety.
At least the same starting 5 as against Baylor.
Maybe just give her a minute or two (with medical OK) if/when game is decided.
A taste of the Final Four basketball court after long, “unusual”campaign.
This is what these athletes sacrifice for.
As always IMHO.

Reaction Score
If she can play, I would not start her. Assuming we pull ahead at the start, then play her just enough to get the rust off so she is ready for Sunday, even if only 10 to 15 minutes on Sunday. Just use her when and if we need her, and if we hopefully never "need" her, then let her just run around for the last few minutes to be on a final four court.

Reaction Score
I could see her being part of the guard rotation even against Arizona. Maybe not extended time on the court, but coming in to spell Evina and Christyn for a minute or two.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score

well she’s jogging, so there’s hope for Sunday

nika.JPG

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
If she can play, I would not start her. Assuming we pull ahead at the start, then play her just enough to get the rust off so she is ready for Sunday, even if only 10 to 15 minutes on Sunday. Just use her when and if we need her, and if we hopefully never "need" her, then let her just run around for the last few minutes to be on a final four court.
In those last few minutes would she have to guard someone?
confused-smiley.png

Reaction Score
As many of you know if you read any of my previous posts concerning Nika, I love this kid. I think she makes us a different team on both offense and defense and feel her presence on the court these last few games has been sorely missed, effecting both defensive intensity and offensive flow. Geno in his presser yesterday alluded to the impact her not being available has had on the team. A couple times during the Baylor game when you got glimpses of her on the sidelines you could see she wanted to be in there to help her teammates. As much as she would want to be on the court in these next couple games I feel rather confident she would only do so if she feels she can have a positive impact. So if she plays (and I would really love to see her do so, both for her to have that experience and to benefit the team) I know she'll be out there giving everything she's got to help her team bring home #12.

Reaction Score
There is no way they allow her to be out there if its to the detriment of her own health or to the team. So if she plays, its because shes able to do so and because shes in good enough shape to help the team. I for one really hope shes able to play because she makes the team better and shes earnt and deserves to chance to play in the final 4 this year!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom