Wiggins Trashes WNBA Culture | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Wiggins Trashes WNBA Culture

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
One thing I haven't seen mentioned yet, as far as the "why now" question. If she felt ostracized/targeted during her playing career, speaking out about it publicly could've made it even worse. Doesn't seem that surprising to me that she waited until after her career was over to make these comments.

Reaction Score
The concern about playing "like a woman" bothers me. What does that mean? Is less physical necessarily feminine? While I prefer a less physical game, I don't perceive it as a feminine issue. Otherwise I don't understand what she means. This part of her statements probably bothers me the most
When I watched Wiggins in college (I did not watch her in the WNBA) I had the thought, as I watched her bring the ball up the court, "here is a girl who enjoys being a girl." Not that the other girls did not like being girls, but no girl flaunted her feminism as much as Wiggins. Her movements with the ball were often an airy hop-skip and dance, which I enjoyed. Now if she did this in the W, I can believe that some, perhaps many, of the all-business-all-the-time pros might resent her style as turning their league into a figure-skating association, and they may, at times, have roughed her up within the rules. I can see Wiggins interpreting their resentment as an attack on her femininity. None of this, however, would be due to Wiggins' homophobia, or the homosexuality of players who may have disliked her. Although, there are no doubt many homosexual in the WNBA, which should not be a problem. Miss Wiggins clearly overstated her case. Probably the most difficult lesson of adulthood is that perception is not truth.

Reaction Score
No one is making the case that their sexual orientation is the only reason for low attendance. But, right or wrong, men's sports are watched by women in part because some of them find the men attractive and fantasize about them. That is often how male athletes have been marketed. Some men are not going to watch women who they cannot see as being interested in someone like them. Once again, right or wrong, that's the way many people are. Which translates into numbers of eyes on the game. Furthermore, about half of America sees homosexuality as distasteful or even wrong. That is a large number of people. Call them what you want, they are really there.
You just keep speaking the truth, Roger, and one day you will be burnt at the stake.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score

DT for the win. (again)

51476602.jpg

Reaction Score
So only homophobes can make stupid statements?

I'm not defending Wiggins's statements - they were stupid and obnoxious - but they don't prove she's a homophobe, especially given her past support of the LGBQ community.
This reminds me of an oldish youtube video about talking to people about racism. Often, it seems that conversations about a person's statements or actions get derailed by a conversation about the person themselves. That's obviously a waste of time because none of us can peer into Candice's soul and know whether she treats people the same regardless of their sexual orientation. And it's not relevant.

What she said did is what matters here, not how she really feels deep down, and what she did was, as Orangutan put it: invoke "a persistent and harmful stereotype about women's sports generally and the WNBA specifically - the players are lesbians and straight women are unwelcome. In doing so, she made a blatantly false statement, i.e."98 percent"."

What she did was homophobic, I think we can all get why someone might refer to someone who said something homophobic as a homophobe, so let's not derail the "what she did" conversation by making it a "who she is" conversation.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
This reminds me of an oldish youtube video about talking to people about racism. Often, it seems that conversations about a person's statements or actions get derailed by a conversation about the person themselves. That's obviously a waste of time because none of us can peer into Candice's soul and know whether she treats people the same regardless of their sexual orientation. And it's not relevant.

What she said did is what matters here, not how she really feels deep down, and what she did was, as Orangutan put it: invoke "a persistent and harmful stereotype about women's sports generally and the WNBA specifically - the players are lesbians and straight women are unwelcome. In doing so, she made a blatantly false statement, i.e."98 percent"."

What she did was homophobic, I think we can all get why someone might refer to someone who said something homophobic as a homophobe, so let's not derail the "what she did" conversation by making it a "who she is" conversation.

This is almost exactly what I was going to say on this. Ills like racism and homophobia are not about what people are on the inside, but rather the set of attitudes and ideas that get perpetuated, even if unwittingly by otherwise well-meaning people. I actually made a point to avoid saying things like, "She is a homophobe" or "She is homophobic," but I have no hesitation in saying that her remarks are indeed homophobic (i.e. antigay) in their import and resonance given the fraught cultural history of homophobia surrounding women's sports and sports in general.

Plebe

Reaction Score

Whoa. Reading Monique Currie's and now Imani's articulate, sensitive replies to Candice is like salve for an old reopened wound:

Candice, I’m disappointed in you. We should be careful of who we allow to share our stories. We must be sure they not only respect the other parties but do their due diligence and only print facts. You stated that, “98% of the women in the league are gay” – that’s not only false but it’s unfair. You retired last year, have you met all 144 of us and been privy to our private lives? In your “research” did you really find only 3 women were straight? Do you know that orientation is not binary? Do you understand what you’ve done? You’ve reinforced unfair stereotypes. A person’s orientation is their choice and their business. Now, because of your article, it is no longer out of bounds to ask WNBA players about their sexuality. Do they ask any male stars in the NBA about their sexuality? Is it even a conversation?​

Reaction Score
When Wiggins was growing up in San Diego, Robert Brom was the politically active homophobic bishop of San Diego. Pope Francis has appointed the progressive Robert McElroy to succeed him.
Wiggins can get some support among the lower clergy here.
I do not know anything about Wiggins' religion and have avoided bringing politics in this post.
Only facts.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Well if Candice is trolling or hyping to create interest in her book, it looks like it's working on the BY. However, as of last night, the original interviewer - San Diego Union-Tribune - was the only publication I could find carrying the story. This morning there are articles from Deadspin, The Guardian and SFGate, but all they do is quote the Union-Tribune story. ESPNW hasn't touched it so far - either with an article, video rant or even the published tweets down the right side. I wonder if they plan to just ignore it.

Well, looks like ESPN was taking its sweet time -

Of course, they just present Wiggins' quotes and mention they got a no comment from the league. So far, the only site that has presented any reactions from other players was Howard Megdal at Vice Sports. I had hoped that ESPN would at least run the statement that Nneka gave Vice:

"Our union is only as strong as our loyalty to and support for one another. What is key to that loyalty and support is our commitment to diversity and inclusion. As a union, we should and we will continue to celebrate the diversity that makes us special and lead by example. We must respect the rights of those we don't agree with when they speak their mind. Whether one agrees or disagrees with the comments made recently by a former player or whether one has seen or experienced anything like what she has described, anything that impacts an inclusive culture should be taken seriously."

Reaction Score
An individual relate their experiences and someone call it -Stupid and obnoxious.To me this response was stupid and obnoxious.If someone commented that 98% of people that attend their Church on Sundays are sinners,I wonder how that would be addressed?

Plebe

Reaction Score
It is despicable how many posters accuse Candace of "homophobia." None of you experienced what she experienced. That's more McCarthy like than her throwing out a wrong percentage as if to say "the vast majority," which may or may not be true but is her opinion. I guess she should have said 110% and then all of you would have understood.

Oh yeah, I have to keep reminding myself of the long history of oppression endured by straight people in this country. Who can forget those witch hunts.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Boneyarders, Please take a moment to read Boyette's response to Wiggins' blog. It's very well written, and touches on several points of interest.
I read this earlier today. I had attempted to make similar points on this thread over the past few days, but could never have hoped to do so in such a moving and profound manner as Imani Boyette.

I had the good fortune to see Imani play in person against UConn at each of the last two regionals. While I am certain the games did not go the way she would have hoped, Imani earned my respect for her play.

After reading her extraordinary response to Candace Wiggins comments, Imani Boyette has also earned my respect as an intelligent and thoughtful young lady.

Reaction Score
"Statement from Nneka Ogwumike, WNBPA President: Our union is only as strong as our loyalty to and support for one another. What is key to that loyalty and support is our commitment to diversity and inclusion. ...Whether one agrees or disagrees with the comments made recently by a former player or whether one has seen or experienced anything like what she has described, anything that impacts an inclusive culture should be taken seriously.”

Imani Boyette: "First, I was sad because that was your reality. I’m sorry you were bullied and felt that way during your career. Bullying is serious and no one deserves it. I hope you know that says more about the people who chose to mistreat you than you yourself...."

I don't know what to think right now. I would like to understand what went on. Wiggins was a tremendous talent, one of the best in the country. I would like to see her interviewed at length, her teammates interviewed in depth, and other players asked probing questions. What was the truth? We shouldn't either immediately condemn Wiggins, or immediately side with her. The statements about attendance and viewership can be verified simply, and are subject to the facts. But her experience in the league, and the serious charge of deliberate bullying, deserve to be aired. Was she bullied? Do other players feel she was mistreated? Was she fouled more than were other players? Was she subjected to verbal abuse during games?

I would like to know the truth, rather than to jump to conclusions. If the players union is stating that her comments "should be taken seriously," then we, too, should take it seriously.

Reaction Score
Oh yeah, I have to keep reminding myself of the long history of oppression endured by straight people in this country. Who can forget those witch hunts.
No long history. The WNBA only started in 1997.

Plebe

Reaction Score
No long history. The WNBA only started in 1997.

A date that will go down in infamy. The Kristallnacht for attractive, proudly heterosexual women.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom