OT: - Wi-Fi question | The Boneyard

OT: Wi-Fi question

Reaction Score
A teacher here preparing for the advent of the return from e-learning:

Last school year, my wife and I (both teachers) managed fine during e-learning. However, living in a 1200 square foot house, we'd like to find some separation between work and home life.

My wife rents out an art studio in town that we are planning on doubling as a work office during e-learning. The studio is in an old house without any internet or cable connection.

Anyone with experience of wifi options that do not require any major hardware installation that is also strong enough to host zoom meetings? I've read a bit about mobile hotspots and it sounds like none of these are good options for Zoom hosting, but good alternatives for regular internet connectivity for simple work tasks like email, etc.

Reaction Score
I am a teacher as well. For my district for the students who don't have internet at home, the district is getting those kids the Verizon Mifi hub to use for as long as we are on a hybrid schedule.

Look into those as long as your Verizon signal is good at your art studio it should be good, but I believe there is a bandwith cap on speed. So it might not be worth it.

Reaction Score
I am a teacher as well. For my district for the students who don't have internet at home, the district is getting those kids the Verizon Mifi hub to use for as long as we are on a hybrid schedule.

Look into those as long as your Verizon signal is good at your art studio it should be good, but I believe there is a bandwith cap on speed. So it might not be worth it.
I’ve used those for trade shows years ago and they were passable. I think most carriers have a 30 day return policy. If so why not get one and try it. If it works great. If not return it

VA Blue Dog

VA Blue Dog
Reaction Score
I live out in the country in VA. I am committed to using the Verizon Mifi Hub, I also have a WeBoost signal enhancer. No broadband near me. The problem is if I exceed my 15 G Mobile Hotspot allowance the network crawls at 600 Kbps until the next billing cycle. If possible do data downloads at community Wifis (Starbucks, Safeway etc.) but use a VPN.

Reaction Score
A teacher here preparing for the advent of the return from e-learning:

Last school year, my wife and I (both teachers) managed fine during e-learning. However, living in a 1200 square foot house, we'd like to find some separation between work and home life.

My wife rents out an art studio in town that we are planning on doubling as a work office during e-learning. The studio is in an old house without any internet or cable connection.

Anyone with experience of wifi options that do not require any major hardware installation that is also strong enough to host zoom meetings? I've read a bit about mobile hotspots and it sounds like none of these are good options for Zoom hosting, but good alternatives for regular internet connectivity for simple work tasks like email, etc.
Also...U can just try using your phone as a hotspot to see how that works...I know I pay extra for this on ATT, but it was cheaper than paying for the mifi hotspot

Reaction Score
If you're able to, use Ethernet cable to hard wire your computers to the router or cable modem. No wireless method is as good, and you won't experience interference.

JCSuperstar

Garbage Time All Star
Reaction Score
You want upstream bandwidth for Zoom or Google Meets. A lot of times the cheap DSL like Frontier is lacking the upstream you need for the students. Mobile hotspots are usually pretty poor as well. I would estimate about 3Mbps for a Zoom and 4.5 for a Meet (double those if your wife is going to be hosting a class at the same time) that isn't what the documentation says, but it's what I've found during some light testing. We've handed out hotspots to some employees and they do the job, but a real cable connection, even something like Comcast Internet Essentials if you qualify, is better.

calluke

#FreeHat!
Reaction Score
Xfinity has a pay as you go monthly service plan for $45 a month. My wife and I are teachers with 3 kids and when we decided to quarantine in our cottage on cape cod we used this option. Worked ok with our 5 devices so you should be good with 1.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
You doing it from home? A lot of districts are making teachers go into school even if you’re full classload is online. At least for now....

Reaction Score
You doing it from home? A lot of districts are making teachers go into school even if you’re full classload is online. At least for now....
I’m starting in person but considering we’re required to have windows and doors open all the time, I’d bet money we won’t stay in person after October.

Just wanted to start prepping now to make my return to home teaching as best I can make it. I’m fine teaching live at home, but having a place outside of home to grade, email, etc would be huge. Looking at my schedule, all but one of my days don’t have classes start until 11, so the five minute drive between home and studio would be no problem.

This thread as been very helpful, thanks all.

Reaction Score

My district is doing a hybrid option with kids going twice a week and Fridays are entirely online. The district is allowing anyone with health related issues that with getting COVID would become worse the option to stay at home and teach from home. Because of issues my daughter has, I am at home for the next 12 weeks without having to step foot inside the building.

I do teach math (Pre-Calc, Calc 1, Calc 2, and Alg 2), and I think that math plays more into teaching online where you really don't need collaboration in order to learn something like some of the other subjects might need.

Reaction Score
Have you priced out cable with install? When all said and done that might be your best option especially for stability.

Reaction Score
I have a MiFi through verizon that I take with me on the road and have used quite a bit with Zoom/Webex. The picture is fine and its ability to not lag is fine but you are going to need a huge data plan if you intend on using it for hours a day. Even my "unlimited" plan only gives me 15Gb a month of high speed before dropping down to a restricted speed. The restricted speed is basically unusable for video conferencing. You will burn through 15 Gb using video conferencing.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom