Why was Lou On the bench at the end? | The Boneyard

Why was Lou On the bench at the end?

PvP

Reaction Score
At the end of the game, the SNY reporter Maria Marino spoke with Geno. After the game Geno was asked questions by "professional" journaists.

None of the above asked the most obvious unanswered question: "why was our most reliable shooter on the bench for the last 4 minutes, when we were desperate for scoring?"

Hello??? Is there intelligent life covering this contest? Marino has never asked a discerning question in my experience but what about the others? Didn't any of them notice? Didn't any think it strange?

Jeeezzz....

I hope someone will wake up at some point so we know if we didn't only lose Nika but also Lou for some time going forward. It is a question worth asking!

Reaction Score
why was our most reliable shooter on the bench for the last 4 minutes, when we were desperate for scoring?
Not so much scoring as ball handling/leadership.

As has been replied to you, it was her ankle.

There had been word "around" that Lou was playing through that (and I think another minor) and I have commented on that here in weeks past. Tonight she tweaked/twisted it.

We have lots more important minutes ahead for Lou. Competitive as Geno is, he has a basketball brain that transcends gut-reactions like send her back in for a game that in the big picture means ... what?

Plus I suspect Lou herself was not all that anxious to get back in there given her own knowledge of her own body: that's largely speculation but you could see her body language as well as I did.

freekimchee

food whisperer
Reaction Score
She said in the postgame presser that her foot's fine but it's been hurting for a few days/weeks and she just tweaked it a little bit (the bad foot) and it hurt even more so they wanted to be safe and not aggravate it even further so she'd be able to play in future games.

Reaction Score
I didn’t watch the game until the middle of the night when I watched the replay. However, you could see Lou pointing at her ankle when she was talking to CD. Under the circumstances on the court at the time, it was clear that she had done something to her foot or her ankle. Otherwise, there was no way that she’d be sitting at that point in the game.

Reaction Score
I didn’t watch the game until the middle of the night when I watched the replay. However, you could see Lou pointing at her ankle when she was talking to CD. Under the circumstances on the court at the time, it was clear that she had done something to her foot or her ankle. Otherwise, there was no way that she’d be sitting at that point in the game.

There was a TV close-up of CD & Lou near game's end with Lou raising & turning her foot, pointing with her finger while conversing with CD which appeared an obvious - "here's what's wrong". The TV commentators did query why she would be sitting out at such a critical juncture with the comment "the only thing I can think of it must be physical".

Hope it is short-lived, we are having more than our share.

Reaction Score
With a twisted ankle you , of course, want to prevent further injury to the player. Not just excaberating the known injury but also injury to other body parts that could receive strain from compensating for the known injury.

Also, from a team perspective, UConn was protecting a lead. Therefore, defense was as ( if not more) important as/than offense. An ankle sprain limits your ability to defend more than it limits ability to score goals.

Reaction Score
When she went out you could see her briefly pointing to her foot when talking to CD. With all the injuries, you just can't risk playing her, even if you have to lose the game (battle). There was literally a starting 5 for most teams already sidelined. I expect every game to be an ugly grind just like this Princeton match.

Reaction Score
With around 5:06 left in the game Chen makes a move, as Lou defends you can see her foot go to the side. Kinda looked like when Ines slide over to also defend Lou's foot hit hers. Hopefully nothing a few days of rest and treatment can't help manage.

Reaction Score
At the end of the game, the SNY reporter Maria Marino spoke with Geno. After the game Geno was asked questions by "professional" journaists.

None of the above asked the most obvious unanswered question: "why was our most reliable shooter on the bench for the last 4 minutes, when we were desperate for scoring?"

Hello??? Is there intelligent life covering this contest? Marino has never asked a discerning question in my experience but what about the others? Didn't any of them notice? Didn't any think it strange?

Jeeezzz....

I hope someone will wake up at some point so we know if we didn't only lose Nika but also Lou for some time going forward. It is a question worth asking!
You made a great point about Marino. Not only did she not ask Geno in postgame about Lou, where was Marino as a sideline reporter to let fans know why she didn't come back in after Gino's timeout with a little over 4 minutes left in the game? Would Holly Rowe of ESPN have dropped the ball? I don't think so. It took Bestwick a minute of new action before he realized Lou was not on the floor. I give SNY (the UCONN TV station) of over 10 years a "F" for their telecast in the 4th quarter. Maybe they were too busy with the Mets Nimmo signing to worry about the UCONN game. Showed it by signing off ASAP in UCONN postgame show. You can tell Wolters was pissed that SNY did this for the 2bd straight time.
The reason the media in Geno postgame interview didn't ask about Lou was because Geno in his opening statement says Lou twisted her ankle and that's why he had to take her out.
On a positive side, this was the best performance ever (all-time) by a UCONN last player to come off the bench. I know you ALL will agree with me on that. She misses her 1st free throw then drills the next 3. Amazing GUTS!!!

Reaction Score
You made a great point about Marino. Not only did she not ask Geno in postgame about Lou, where was Marino as a sideline reporter to let fans know why she didn't come back in after Gino's timeout with a little over 4 minutes left in the game? Would Holly Rowe of ESPN have dropped the ball? I don't think so. It took Bestwick a minute of new action before he realized Lou was not on the floor. I give SNY (the UCONN TV station) of over 10 years a "F" for their telecast in the 4th quarter. Maybe they were too busy with the Mets Nimmo signing to worry about the UCONN game. Showed it by signing off ASAP in UCONN postgame show. You can tell Wolters was pissed that SNY did this for the 2bd straight time.
The reason the media in Geno postgame interview didn't ask about Lou was because Geno in his opening statement says Lou twisted her ankle and that's why he had to take her out.
On a positive side, this was the best performance ever (all-time) by a UCONN last player to come off the bench. I know you ALL will agree with me on that. She misses her 1st free throw then drills the next 3. Amazing GUTS!!!
LOL Holly Rowe wouldn't have asked either. She would have used her 60 seconds to tell us a story about Lou's brother back in France and how much he loves soccer and his favorite color is red. All of these in game reporters are a useless distraction.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom