Why UConn’s offensive coordinator Nick Charlton left head coaching job in Maine: ‘We’re here to win’ (Mike Anthony) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Why UConn’s offensive coordinator Nick Charlton left head coaching job in Maine: ‘We’re here to win’ (Mike Anthony)

Reaction Score

-> “There’s a misconception, because of what happened in the past here, that there’s not talent on this team,” Charlton said. “I said it to the offense right before they left for break. I was very honest. I said, ‘Men, we’re not watching last year together.’ I’ve watched that on my own, the staff has, and we’ve evaluated guys. But I have no interest in watching that tape. To me, it is all about moving forward and developing these guys and finding out who is able to play and what they do well.”

The framework is as follows: Charlton will call the offensive plays, as he did the previous four seasons at Maine, three as head coach. The Huskies will run a no-huddle offense. Some staples won’t be put in place until spring practice or preseason camp because Charlton isn’t married to a particular style. Charlton said, in a general sense, the NFL offense his tends to most resemble is that of the Rams. <-

-> At UConn, the product will be tailored to what he identifies as strengths. The offense will operate quickly. Some basic plays and formations will have a lot of window dressing. There will be a lot of movement in an effort to create matchup advantages. <-

-> “It starts with a more rudimentary level, with a relationship with players,” Charlton said. “There is nothing more important. Football-wise, we’re going to be diving into that and finding out what they do well but this is a relationship business. These guys need positive relationships and familiarity with their coaching staff, but also know they’re going to get coached hard and that we have a high level of expectation — because we’re here to win. That’s why I took this job.”<-

I just read the article. Pretty good articulate. I like Arron’ s philosophy.

Reaction Score
I'm excited for the season to start. If we can go no huddle, we might get to the line and take our time, so we can see if the Defense is ready.

A friend of mine has a son who plays high school football and his school go no huddle. They get to the line and slow down. Opponents get penalties for offsides.

I like Charlton, he'll help us.

Reaction Score
Yeah. What I liked the most is that he will tailor what he does to the capabilities of the personnel available rather than some slavish adherence to a philosophy or ideology if you will. Emphasis on winning in the here and now. Love the intellect.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
but maybe playing up tempo would change the mentality of the players to think about attacking rather than thinking about not screwing up.
Outstanding. Simple facet that needs to be instilled. Have fun, knock that D lineman on his a…

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
Saw a Maine booster last month (they have a rabid fan base) and he was lamenting they could not pay their head coach the salary To keep him around if schools came calling. He said we got a real good one.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom