Why Mike Gundy believes 'there’s strength in numbers' for Big 12 as a football league… | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Why Mike Gundy believes 'there’s strength in numbers' for Big 12 as a football league…

Reaction Score
It’s interesting that when brainstorming UConn isn’t mentioned.
So what. IMO it is B10 or bust. Otherwise, stay in the BE where, at least, UConn has gotten closer to a P5 than Nova ever will.

Reaction Score
the quality of the teams in that league are still too good for it to lose their Power status, that level of poaching hasn't happened yet. They are where the old Big East was after Miami, Vtech and BC left.
Yep, and I think there is much better shape football wise, particularly with Texas and Ok in the SEC. I don't expect either of them to light it up on the field against SEC competition year in and year out, in fact they may have more money, but their fball results may suffer. Opportunity for the new B12 to prosper in those markets may exist. Also, I think they will be better than the P12 in both sports.

Reaction Score
It’s interesting that when brainstorming UConn isn’t mentioned.
UConn decision to leave the AAC , might have been a great basketball decision. But from a CR prospective is was a signal that we couldn’t survive in an competitive football conference which took us off the table for any expansion.
The only way to change prospective is by multiple years of success as an Indy in football. Fill the stadium weekly or become minimally respected and win multiple BB championships.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
UConn decision to leave the AAC , might have been a great basketball decision. But from a CR prospective is was a signal that we couldn’t survive in an competitive football conference which took us off the table for any expansion.
The only way to change prospective is by multiple years of success as an Indy in football. Fill the stadium weekly or become minimally respected and win multiple BB championships.
I don’t think it mattered in the least one way or the other.

Reaction Score
Say the Big 12 plays with 14 teams next year, 2023. Tejas and Oklahoma decide to stay on, the conference then invites USC and perhaps an AZ, Clemson, maybe Florida State or Georgia Tech. Where would this rank in terms of market value.

1649541663920.png

Reaction Score
If GOR's were so easy to work around, one would think that Texas and Oklahoma would be playing in the SEC this year.....they only had 4 years left, not 15.

Reaction Score
I don’t think it mattered in the least one way or the other.
I should have added
The Caveat was football success starting with a hire that signaled we were still interested in the sport.
The perception of:
The desperation Randy hire , lack of success, and our departure in tandem sent a signal of probable future down grade which really removes us as a player in future expansion.
The Mora hire is great but it may be too little too late. Perception is everything

Reaction Score
I should have added
The Caveat was football success starting with a hire that signaled we were still interested in the sport.
The perception of:
The desperation Randy hire , lack of success, and our departure in tandem sent a signal of probable future down grade which really removes us as a player in future expansion.
The Mora hire is great but it may be too little too late. Perception is everything
I think the Mora Perception will far outweigh the Edsall Deception

Reaction Score
Say the Big 12 plays with 14 teams next year, 2023. Tejas and Oklahoma decide to stay on, the conference then invites USC and perhaps an AZ, Clemson, maybe Florida State or Georgia Tech. Where would this rank in terms of market value.

View attachment 75451
I think it more likely B1G adds Kansas (maybe UConn for hoops brand) adds KC & NYCx2...
cSnY1Bh.png

As well as PAC "biting the bullet" on non-AAU brands Texas Tech/ TCU/ Houston & UNLV...

Now, if ACC corrals Notre Dame (& 'swallows pride' to add West Virginia) XII needs a #16...

Reaction Score
I think it more likely B1G adds Kansas (maybe UConn for hoops brand) adds KC & NYCx2...
cSnY1Bh.png

As well as PAC "biting the bullet" on non-AAU brands Texas Tech/ TCU/ Houston & UNLV...

Now, if ACC corrals Notre Dame (& 'swallows pride' to add West Virginia) XII needs a #16...
Who created that map. A partial merger of the AAC and Big 12 remnants.

Reaction Score
It was a total surrender. An admission that our days as a national power have ended. Football as an Indy, while interesting, is never going to lead to much More than a place holder. And I love the Mora hire. And the “crown jewel” as people call it, is in a league that will never ever compete with the real power conferences. And any other sports have been relegated to perpetual mediocrity. Baseball will probably eventually wither to a level of the league. It is just too difficult to compete when you play trash for half your schedule. Every loss is a huge hit To RPI and given the nature of baseball there will be losses.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Which is likely. They are basically the new AAC.

They’re likely better than the ACC and PAC12 right now.

I don't think the B12 is ripe to be poached for the simple fact that there is place for any of those schools to go.

Neither the SEC or B1G have any interest in any of the schools in the new B12 no matter what Kansas supporters try to tell you.

The only chance any of the B12 schools have of getting out is if the SEC & B1G decide to blow up the ACC by targeting schools like UNC, UVA, Clemson, Fla St and Notre Dame. If the numbers being reported for the SEC & B1G are close to real then the ACC GOR won't matter because it will only take a couple years of new earnings to pay off any settlement that is negotiated. If that happens then B12 schools will be on the backfill list for the ACC.

If the SEC & B1G decide to remain where they are, the B12 becomes a stable conference.

The issue for ACC schools is that they have a grant of rights way out into the 2030s; if a team leaves or tries to leave, there‘s zero reason for the conference to negotiate any kind of deal - they are entitled to that school’s television revenue through the end of 2036.

Even Texas and OU waited until their GOR expiration was in sight before negotiating with the SEC.

Reaction Score
What part of it is inaccurate?
Well, football fans are happy with Mora and the schedule, baseball is ranked 18 in the country, hockey 19 and both basketball teams spent the whole season in the Top 25. It sure seems like someone is hoping for our demise rather than assessing reality. Furthermore, the AAC is dead. If you aren’t grateful that we left when we did, you aren’t sane.

Meanwhile, all of our old Big East peers are floundering in the ACC. I can’t say I want to be in the ACC anymore. Seems like it might do some serious damage to our programs. We need to win football games, improve our Indy tv deal and sell tickets. Combine that with some really good men’s basketball seasons and we will be in a pretty good position for the future.

Reaction Score
Well, football fans are happy with Mora and the schedule, baseball is ranked 18 in the country, hockey 19 and both basketball teams spent the whole season in the Top 25. It sure seems like someone is hoping for our demise rather than assessing reality. Furthermore, the AAC is dead. If you aren’t grateful that we left when we did, you aren’t sane.

Meanwhile, all of our old Big East peers are floundering in the ACC. I can’t say I want to be in the ACC anymore. Seems like it might do some serious damage to our programs. We need to win football games, improve our Indy tv deal and sell tickets. Combine that with some really good men’s basketball seasons and we will be in a pretty good position for the future.

The ACC would not hurt any of our programs. What's going on with the former Big East teams is just incompetence, not the ACC's fault.

The big question that remains TBD is will we accept a B12 offer in a few years should the offer come. The knee jerk reaction here is to say "no way", but it really depends on how much money their TV contract is paying out. Doubtful we turn down an extra 150 million over 10 years and the salvation of the football program (the Rent would be filled again) to appease the fans who love the Big East.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The ACC would not hurt any of our programs. What's going on with the former Big East teams is just incompetence, not the ACC's fault.

The big question that remains TBD is will we accept a B12 offer in a few years should the offer come. The knee jerk reaction here is to say "no way", but it really depends on how much money their TV contract is paying out. Doubtful we turn down an extra 150 million over 10 years and the salvation of the football program (the Rent would be filled again) to appease the fans who love the Big East.

The schools in the ACC are hurting because the ACC is a southern conference and they are marginalized there. Playing in the Big East is more exciting to fans. Everything you need to see is on display at the conference basketball tournaments. There is no juice in Syracuse, Pittsburgh or Chestnut Hill.

I completely understand the money issues, but I'm not interested in becoming a bad football program in a southern conference again while watching our basketball team struggle to recruit NYC and the preps because those kids would rather go to St John's, Providence or Seton Hall. Look at the basketball coaches the Big East is drawing. It is a purists mecca.

Reaction Score

They aren’t suffering from ACC, they are suffering from complacency. And last I checked Pitt football was doing ok.

Reaction Score
It is a purists mecca.

I consider "Purist" a pejorative word when it relates to sports. It usually means old, outdated and generally wrong in relation to change. If the administration listens to the "Purists" we'll be in trouble.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Pretty much the opposite is happening this season, but the great thing about preaching “eventual” decline is that there’s always next year, right?
He sounds like Kellerman talking about Brady.

Reaction Score
They aren’t suffering from ACC, they are suffering from complacency. And last I checked Pitt football was doing ok.
I don't think its complacency, it is hard for a northern school to compete in a southern conference. Pitt football should be the best of the old group, Pennsylvania has football players. Last I looked they were loaded with players from PA. Pitt is also recruiting nearby NJ well.

Syracuse and BC don’t have the players nearby to boost competitiveness in football. Meanwhile, all of the basketball programs are hurting. Syracuse is in the best shape, but they are far off from their normal standards.

Reaction Score
I don't think its complacency, it is hard for a northern school to compete in a southern conference. Pitt football should be the best of the old group, Pennsylvania has football players. Last I looked they were loaded with players from PA. Pitt is also recruiting nearby NJ well.

Syracuse and BC don’t have the players nearby to boost competitiveness in football. Meanwhile, all of the basketball programs are hurting. Syracuse is in the best shape, but they are far off from their normal standards.

Nothing you are saying is wrong but BC and Fruit U just seem to be cashing checks at this point.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom