Who's your list for next HC? | Page 46 | The Boneyard

Who's your list for next HC?

Reaction Score
Yeah but they didn't start paying him the big bucks until after he proved he was a legit coach. You don't pay a coach that kind of money unless he's a proven winner at a P5 level, and that type of coach isn't coming here anytime soon. It's better for UConn to identify the right coach, spend theoney available to provide him the tools/resources they need to win, and once they are producing consistent winning seasons, open up the check book to keep them or use the buyout money to get the next coach.
Yup… Fickell’s first year of his contract coming in from OSU was $1.9m +/-

Reaction Score
Yeah but they didn't start paying him the big bucks until after he proved he was a legit coach. You don't pay a coach that kind of money unless he's a proven winner at a P5 level, and that type of coach isn't coming here anytime soon. It's better for UConn to identify the right coach, spend theoney available to provide him the tools/resources they need to win, and once they are producing consistent winning seasons, open up the check book to keep them or use the buyout money to get the next coach.
I would do a decent contract between $1M to $2M that's incentive laden. If the coach does well, we can always increase the payout later.

Reaction Score
According to the contract he signed they were paying him about $2.2 million a year beginning FIVE Years ago. When did he start making $3.4 million per year along the way? My point is we can’t penny pinch the next hire or either we’ll end up with another Diaco or a good hire who feels not appreciated in Storrs will bolt for another Maryland.

Reaction Score
The perception of the UConn administration among college coaching ranks is not good. Several names who UConn reached out to after PP and Diaco wouldn’t even come here to talk, and in the end the only one who wanted the job for what they were paying was Edsall. Bottom line is if Gov Lamont wants big time football to come to Storrs, he’s gonna half to pay for it, and maybe even throw in an on campus stadium. If they did build an on campus stadium that certainly would shut up the critics who say UConn is not serious about FBS football. If Benedict does find a diamond in the rough so to speak I wouldn’t be surprised if the guy comes out of the Big 12, maybe a head coach or maybe a hot OC or DC.

this is silly

and Spanos? He had a trial as HC. If you are arguing ... "no way". Now we know. The bottom line after this week: Paying $2m and a good budget for assistants/staff, lots of opportunities open up. Perceptions schmerceptions.

Please stop with the On Campus stadium BS. That's silly too. There are some HUGE reasons that is a non-starter.

Reaction Score
The perception of the UConn administration among college coaching ranks is not good. Several names who UConn reached out to after PP and Diaco wouldn’t even come here to talk, and in the end the only one who wanted the job for what they were paying was Edsall. Bottom line is if Gov Lamont wants big time football to come to Storrs, he’s gonna half to pay for it, and maybe even throw in an on campus stadium. If they did build an on campus stadium that certainly would shut up the critics who say UConn is not serious about FBS football. If Benedict does find a diamond in the rough so to speak I wouldn’t be surprised if the guy comes out of the Big 12, maybe a head coach or maybe a hot OC or DC.
You sure don't seem to have an issue spending other people's money and finger pointing. You might just want to sit back and see what happens come the beginning of December. That's when everyone will get the answer to all of this speculation.

Reaction Score
You sure don't seem to have an issue spending other people's money and finger pointing. You might just want to sit back and see what happens come the beginning of December. That's when everyone will get the answer to all of this speculation.

I predict ... earlier than December 1. Benedict said December 1 this week. I think he is thinking he has an advantage in several ways to get the search complete - with Parker - and get someone in place near our last game.

Reaction Score
Would we consider the best D3 coach in the country or is that just crazy thinking.

Reaction Score
Since we like re-hiring coaches, how about Skip Holtz?

Just 57, and doing decently at Louisiana Tech (63-44 at La Tech, 151-115 overall). Who knows, he might want to return to Connecticut, and he might view the job here as a step up from Conference USA. [somewhat tongue-in-cheek, somewhat serious]
He checks a lot of boxes. HC experience, good offensive mind, pretty good record over the years. The Holtz name will benefit recruiting.

Reaction Score
He checks a lot of boxes. HC experience, good offensive mind, pretty good record over the years. The Holtz name will benefit recruiting.
Let's recap the reason that Skip left UConn in the first place as he was Lew Perkins's initial choice to lead the Huskies into Division 1-A reality.

Skip's Mom was seriously ill & he decided to move his family to South Carolina to be close to his parents & resume his career as Lou's offensive coordinator. He left UConn in good graces, having established the Huskies as a 1-AA offensive power & leading them finally to a place in the 1-AA playoffs.

He has a reputation as an offensive genius & would be welcomed back by many the Husky faithful due to past success, reputation as a family man, & reputation of integrity.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I predict ... earlier than December 1. Benedict said December 1 this week. I think he is thinking he has an advantage in several ways to get the search complete - with Parker - and get someone in place near our last game.

Could be interesting if new coach is announced at halftime of the Houston game.

Alright that might be awkward. But have the announcement that when the clock goes to 00:00 all fans stay in their seats for the new coach.

Reaction Score
Would we consider the best D3 coach in the country or is that just crazy thinking.
Ask Dave Benedict if he considered any D3 coaches when he was looking to replace Kevin Ollie.

Reaction Score
Since we like re-hiring coaches, how about Skip Holtz?

Just 57, and doing decently at Louisiana Tech (63-44 at La Tech, 151-115 overall). Who knows, he might want to return to Connecticut, and he might view the job here as a step up from Conference USA. [somewhat tongue-in-cheek, somewhat serious]
Might be an ok hire but not sure. Refresh my memory on why he left in the first place? Can he recruit, would be my first question?

Reaction Score
Might be an ok hire but not sure. Refresh my memory on why he left in the first place? Can he recruit, would be my first question?
He left because Lou wanted to save his sons career from being the guy to lead us to D1. Also think the original plan for him to take over for Lou at South Carolina which never materialized.

Reaction Score
Let's recap the reason that Skip left UConn in the first place as he was Lew Perkins's initial choice to lead the Huskies into Division 1-A reality.
Skip's Mom was seriously ill & he decided to move his family to South Carolina to be close to his parents & resume his career as Lou's offensive coordinator. He left UConn in good graces, having established the Huskies as a 1-AA offensive power & leading them finally to a place in the 1-AA playoffs.
He has a reputation as an offensive genius & would be welcomed back by many the Husky faithful due to past success, reputation as a family man, & reputation of integrity.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score

Skip has a good resume and deserves serious consideration if he is interested. I agree he would be a solid recruiter which is something we need.

Last edited:

DAC17

Once upon a time, would never miss a game
Reaction Score
I think Jon Gruden is available…

Reaction Score
Skip has a good resume and deserves serious consideration if he is interested. I agree he would be a solid recruiter which is something we need.
He had a good run here and remember he was only 30 when he was hired! He has had 21 more years of experience since!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom