Who's your list for next HC? | Page 47 | The Boneyard

Who's your list for next HC?

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Trying to wrap my head around people mad about hiring Edsall suggesting we look at Skip Holtz? GTHO here.

The best hire is someone no one on this board has ever heard of that comes out of nowhere to have success here.

Any geezer or rehab applicant will just pull a PP and phone it in. Heck, even Diaco phoned it in because he had low expectations resulting from no respect for the program. His ceiling was a few overachieving bowl teams before moving on. Instead he had a meltdown because people here actually expect success, which still baffles the vast majority of the CFB community.

Any big school OC/DC we could get here is unlikely to be seen as HC material or they would have a better job offer. So again, you are taking a shot on an unknown. We aren't pulling a coordinator from a top P5 and should be Diaco level skeptical if one shows interest.

A lower division HC is probably the best option if we are talking in generalities. Either a young unknown or someone with some success that is young enough not to phone it in or old enough that they are unlikely to get a ton of offers.

Dave has been around more than any AD we've had since Lew. If he has truly been "monitioring" the coaching market for the next guy as he claims, he should have a decent list. That may include guys that have coached against us ala JC at BU or not, but it's all on Dave and I don't think our wish list should enter the deliberations at all.

In fact, I think all we are doing is setting ourselves up for not liking whomever Dave ends up getting.

SwingDog

"THIS is the life you have"
Reaction Score
For the love of grammar, will someone please fix the title of this thread?

Reaction Score
That is crazy thinking. That means you’re hiring someone who built their success by recruiting without scholarships.
Where did Leipold come from before Buffalo? I truly don't know the answer, but if a guy can really coach, he can coach. Get some recruiters on the staff with him.

Reaction Score
That is crazy thinking. That means you’re hiring someone who built their success by recruiting without scholarships.
Just checked Wisconsin Whitewater D3. I'm sure he is an exception, but for a real offensive innovator from a lower level you don't have t9 break the bank and can up his pay if he is wildly successful.

Reaction Score
Just checked Wisconsin Whitewater D3. I'm sure he is an exception, but for a real offensive innovator from a lower level you don't have t9 break the bank and can up his pay if he is wildly successful.
Leipold won 6 national titles in 8 seasons and had 5 undefeated seasons while at Whitewater. There isn't another like him out there currently. Maybe in another 5 years there will be, but not currently.

Reaction Score
Leipold won 6 national titles in 8 seasons and had 5 undefeated seasons while at Whitewater. There isn't another like him out there currently. Maybe in another 5 years there will be, but not currently.
I get it. But it took someone to give him a shot. Maybe a D2 or FCS guy. Don't pigeon hole yourself into a retread or hot name coordinator like Diaco.

Reaction Score
Let's recap the reason that Skip left UConn in the first place as he was Lew Perkins's initial choice to lead the Huskies into Division 1-A reality.

Skip's Mom was seriously ill & he decided to move his family to South Carolina to be close to his parents & resume his career as Lou's offensive coordinator. He left UConn in good graces, having established the Huskies as a 1-AA offensive power & leading them finally to a place in the 1-AA playoffs.

He has a reputation as an offensive genius & would be welcomed back by many the Husky faithful due to past success, reputation as a family man, & reputation of integrity.
How old is Skip?

Reaction Score
Trying to wrap my head around people mad about hiring Edsall suggesting we look at Skip Holtz? GTHO here.

The best hire is someone no one on this board has ever heard of that comes out of nowhere to have success here.

Any geezer or rehab applicant will just pull a PP and phone it in. Heck, even Diaco phoned it in because he had low expectations resulting from no respect for the program. His ceiling was a few overachieving bowl teams before moving on. Instead he had a meltdown because people here actually expect success, which still baffles the vast majority of the CFB community.

Any big school OC/DC we could get here is unlikely to be seen as HC material or they would have a better job offer. So again, you are taking a shot on an unknown. We aren't pulling a coordinator from a top P5 and should be Diaco level skeptical if one shows interest.

A lower division HC is probably the best option if we are talking in generalities. Either a young unknown or someone with some success that is young enough not to phone it in or old enough that they are unlikely to get a ton of offers.

Dave has been around more than any AD we've had since Lew. If he has truly been "monitioring" the coaching market for the next guy as he claims, he should have a decent list. That may include guys that have coached against us ala JC at BU or not, but it's all on Dave and I don't think our wish list should enter the deliberations at all.

In fact, I think all we are doing is setting ourselves up for not liking whomever Dave ends up getting.
So according to you, UConn Football is already
Ph……….cked?

Reaction Score
"• No. 24 Texas-San Antonio (7-0) is unbeaten and ranked for the first time in the history of the program. The Roadrunners have been playing at the highest level of Division I football since only 2012. They are the first Conference USA team to make the Top 25 this season."

"After another struggle in the 2019 season, in which they finished 4–8 overall and 3–5 in conference play, UTSA fired Wilson on December 1, 2019 after 4 seasons and a 19–29 overall record.[34]

Jeff Traylor era (2020–present)[edit]

On December 9, 2019, Arkansas running backs coach Jeff Traylor was hired as the 3rd head coach in the program's history.[35] After going 2-0 in Coach Traylor's first season as Head Coach, the program received votes in the Associated Press Top 25 Poll for the first time.[36] Traylor also became the first head coach in program history to start his career with three wins[37] after beating MTSU on September 25, 2020. UTSA finished the 2020 regular season with a record of 7-4 along with a second bowl game appearance in program history at the First Responder Bowl.[38]"

So this school started football about when HCRE1.0 went to his dream school and had a losing record in 2019 and then in 2021 is ranked! Their magical hire: RUNNING BACKS COACH FROM ARKANSAS! 1st year pay was $800k.

The right guy is out there, just find him.

Reaction Score
He's at your alma mater Bizlaw
Devanney has done a fabulous job at Trinity, and is obviously an outstanding football coach. And I’m sure could motivate and evaluate players at any level. But I stand by what I said —recruiting at :UConn and recruiting at Trinity are entirely different kettles of fish, and I’d want someone at at least the FCS level for that experience.

Reaction Score
I get it. But it took someone to give him a shot. Maybe a D2 or FCS guy. Don't pigeon hole yourself into a retread or hot name coordinator like Diaco.
D3 is an interesting animal, father and son both HC at Mount Union win national titles in a span of just a few years. The guy at North Central that won in 2019 was also a second gen HC who took over from dad. Mount Union younger is now DC at Toledo for Candle.

There is definitely lots of coaching talent at that level. The trouble comes in building a staff that respects them and can recruit at a D1 level. But they can sure coach the heck out of the athletes.

Reaction Score
The head coach at Mt Union in the 79s was a gentleman named Ron Lynn who worked summers at my summer camp in Kent. He ended up as a DC for the Chargers and Redskins.

Reaction Score
Is Tom Herman continuing to get paid from Texas? If so he would be an amazing hire for us!
Tom Herman doesnt really fit Benedict's profile. Herman is a "I'm a MENSA member and everyone just has to think I'm the smartest person in the room" guy. He's not going to be good with the media and fanbase.

Reaction Score

It would be foolish to limit ourselves to candidates who have a prior history with the school. That said....

It would be even more foolish to outright exclude someone for the same reason. Everyone should get judged based on their own merit... unless of course they are a DC from Notre Dame or a former head coach of Cheshire HS.

I don't think anyone had a bad thing to say about Skip before he left and he certainly has done well for himself after UCONN, he's somewhat similar to Moorhead as a candidate, Joe Moorhead light. Skip has seven bowl appearances in eight years at LA Tech. Six bowl victories. Find me a better candidate.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom