Who will guard Siegrist | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Who will guard Siegrist

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Why double her? One player isn't going to out score the entire UConn team. Besides, if Uconn can't guard her man-to-man without doubling her, what are they going to do when they play top level competition?

No lock-down defender among the starters, but Evina may be the best choice if UConn decides to play man-on-man, as they did the beginning of the last game. I agree that no one player is going to enable her team to beat the Huskies. If Geno wants to bug Maddy, he could attach Aubrey to her shorts. This is the role likely to go to Griffin if she's to get playing time, so this could be a good test.
Anyway, if UConn is to be a great team they'll need to meet talented opponents. Bring 'em on!

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Ah!! A game within the game. It sounds like: so Siegrist, so goes Villanova. Maddy Siegrist Lead the Wildcats With 34 Points And 19 Rebounds against Creighton. She a 6'1" sophomore. I said I'd like to see ONO (6'5" junior) average 18/14, and some folks here got testy and suggested I was being "unreasonable". If Siegrist can do this at 6-1 as a soph, why can't ONO do it at 6-5 as a junior? smh... What am I missing? :confused:

One of these two teams will suffer their first loss tomorrow, who will it be? :eek:

Meet the Villanova Wildcats for 2020-2021: a write up of their latest game Saturday vs Creighton.

Last edited:

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
As a Poughkeepsie native, it will interesting to see how Lourdes graduate Siegrist does against UConn. I expect her to find the going difficult at best.

I agree with all who say Evina and Aubrey will be the primary defenders. And waiting patiently in the lane will be Liv to thwart her drives.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
A serious question?

> Siegrist is 6' 1" and their tallest player.
> She lives off rebounding, where she had 8 offensive against Creighton.
> And 11 on the defensive end.
> Then, 10 points off free throws.
> Shoots the 3, where she was 2 for 7.

Here's her stat line vs UCONN:

> Rebounds: 5 Defensive; 3 Offensive
> Free throws: 3 for 4
> 2pt: 6 of 17, for 12 points
> 3pt: 1 for 3
> Total points: 18

> AND, she fowls out early fourth

Anyone seriously disagree?

I'm waiting....
:)
Well her poultry scoring totals were probably due to her fowling out.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Considering that Siegrist is Nova’s tallest starter and strongest rebounder, one option we have not considered is that Liv may guard her. Liv would certainly neutralize Siegrist’s inside game. Whether or not Siegrist could gain an advantage by pulling Liv away from the basket I don’t know.

Of course, foul trouble would be a concern, but UConn can run Aaliyah and Aubrey at Siegrist in addition to Liv.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
She looks pretty lanky and athletic, can create a little, hits the boards hard, and shoots it well. Complete player.

I think we will see Aubrey off the bench very early in this one and she will be face guarding her at all times.

Evina will be on her for much of the time as well.

They will be covering her closely and Geno will be working today on the help defense getting there if the primary defender gets beat. That is one area that UConn has not done well thus far.

UConn will double her if she gets the ball in the low post.

Reaction Score
I remember back when Jessica Dickson from South Florida was one of the nation's leading scorers. She had a bad game against UConn and got annoyed at a reporter who asked if it was UConn's defense that neutralized her and she threw shade by saying she just had an off game. The days back when UConn used to shut down players like Shoni Schimmel, Angel McCoughtry and others who had field days against other teams. It seems like the past few years there hasn't been the lockdown defenders? Players like Evans from Louisville, the player from Seton Hall, etc. can get buckets nowadays..just hope that can be fixed by tourney time.

Reaction Score
Straight up man-to-man is one strategy or way to play defense. Personally not my favorite. I actually was not wild about the strategy against Seton Hall. Letting them run the shot clock down repeatedly. I think it helped our development as a team but as a game strategy I would have been excited to see trapping and overplaying the passing lanes to force them out of their comfort zone. Whatever you do there are trade-offs.
I love us trapping and getting in those passing lanes. If they go back door we’ve got long Liv to guard the rim.
Example, one way to guard a pick and roll is to hedge really hard and trap the ball. Of course that opens up back door but......
We’re long and we anticipate well and we have some rim protection. We’re not quick, especially on the ball. So IMO straight up D doesn’t play to our strength. Again, I appreciate Geno working on it though. Better for teaching fundamentals.

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
Siegrist is a forward, with some size, and Nova's leading rebounder. So while Evina may well get the initial defensive assignment, I would not be surprised if Anna gets the call in order to better keep Siegrist off the boards. Whoever gets the initial assignment, I fully agree that Aubrey will get her turn guarding Siegrist, and that should be fun to watch.
Bravo, I think while interesting, her stats coming into the game may look very different after the game. If our defense is good I look forward to Siegrist passing to herself, rebounding like a demon, scoring from half court, getting almost every rebound, single handedly breaking the press, while having her cape dry cleaned during the game he said tongue in check. Whoever is guarding her I'm sure will do a good job while the rest of the Huskies will continue to outplay Nova soundly.
I hope that Nova has a good game and gives us something fun to watch, keeping in mind that whatever Siegrist and Nova do we will do a lot better. Good competition is the best way for our players to continue to improve. Enjoy the game.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
A serious question?

I'm waiting....
:)
If she fowls out she can transfer to KFC State..

Reaction Score
If Siegrist is a bruiser (I have never seen her play), almost anyone on UConn could guard her. ONO and Paige not early options due to their other responsibilities. Siegrist would find it difficult getting around Anna for rebounds and Williams is almost her size and can get physical. Westbrook may not be strong enough to keep her off boards. Surprised if UConn has much trouble since doubt Siegrist is quick enough to get 3's off against UConn's man to man and ONO always there for help defense on drives.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
This discussion about Siegrist reminds me a little of UConn’s game vs USF during the 2016-17 season. Coming into the game, Kitija Laksa was lighting opponents up as the leading scorer in the AAC. Unfortunately for Laksa, she got a major dose of Kia Nurse, who held Laksa to 7 pts on 3 of 15 shooting, with UConn winning 102-37.

HGN

Reaction Score
I think Uconn will play team defense on Siegrist. Between Evina , Aubrey , Paige , and switching defense , Uconn should keep her under control. She won't be shut down completely, but kept under control enough for the Huskies to win.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
I don't know what Geno will end up doing on D but I feel really confident that Evina WANTS to be assigned to cover Siegrist. Of the starting 5, she seems to me to be the best suited for the job.

Reaction Score
Let's be frank here, Kia, Mo nor Gabby were the defensive players as underclassmen as they became when they were seniors so to look for immediate answers to who will guard the top player on the opposition to me is a bit premature. I think between Evina, Aubrey and Aaliyah, who I think is an option I'd pursue, there are 15 fouls - pound the heck out of the kid and see what's she's made of.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
This discussion about Siegrist reminds me a little of UConn’s game vs USF during the 2016-17 season. Coming into the game, Kitija Laksa was lighting opponents up as the leading scorer in the AAC. Unfortunately for Laksa, she got a major dose of Kia Nurse, who held Laksa to 7 pts on 3 of 15 shooting, with UConn winning 102-37.
I believe Kia gave Laksa and absolute goose egg in one game.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
A serious question?

I'm waiting....
Your wait is over!!!
> Rebounds: 7 Defensive; 4 Offensive 11Total

> Free throws: 4 for 5
> 2pt: 8 of 14, for 12 points
> Total points: 25

> AND, she commits 4 fouls
However, the real question is:
Is Villanova's Kenzie Gardler related to Meghan Gardler? ;)

MK.png

Reaction Score
I’m thinking the teams we’ll have to go through all have top players. All Americans. Example Sabaly for Oregon, the SC center and the Louisville guard.
Don’t we want to have someone to greet these players at the opening tip?
Aubrey starting. Set the tone. Frustrate the opponents stars. Bring Anna of Evina in for steadiness, ball handling and long range shooting. Start the game nasty on the defensive end and get running and finishing around the hoop.
She doesn’t have to finish the game but she could start it,

Reaction Score
Ah!! A game within the game. It sounds like: so Siegrist, so goes Villanova. Maddy Siegrist Lead the Wildcats With 34 Points And 19 Rebounds against Creighton. She a 6'1" sophomore. I said I'd like to see ONO (6'5" junior) average 18/14, and some folks here got testy and suggested I was being "unreasonable". If Siegrist can do this at 6-1 as a soph, why can't ONO do it at 6-5 as a junior? smh... What am I missing? :confused:

One of these two teams will suffer their first loss tomorrow, who will it be? :eek:

Meet the Villanova Wildcats for 2020-2021: a write up of their latest game Saturday vs Creighton.

One of the things you are missing is that Siegrist does not average 34 and 9. Another thing you are missing is that this thread is not about Liv, unless someone is suggesting that she guard Siegrist.

Reaction Score
If Siegrist is a bruiser (I have never seen her play), almost anyone on UConn could guard her. ONO and Paige not early options due to their other responsibilities. Siegrist would find it difficult getting around Anna for rebounds and Williams is almost her size and can get physical. Westbrook may not be strong enough to keep her off boards. Surprised if UConn has much trouble since doubt Siegrist is quick enough to get 3's off against UConn's man to man and ONO always there for help defense on drives.

I’ve seen her play several times last year and once this year. She’s more of a high octane player. She’s one of those players that you would want on your team. UCONN will definitely need to keep her off of the offensive glass.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
One of the things you are missing is that Siegrist does not average 34 and 9. Another thing you are missing is that this thread is not about Liv, unless someone is suggesting that she guard Siegrist.
I suggested Liv might guard Siegrist in an earlier post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom