Who on here is a UConn Alum? And who is not? I am. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Who on here is a UConn Alum? And who is not? I am.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Queens College Grad from 1978
The closest I came to UConn was to watch the NY Rangers play the Whalers in Hartford back in the 80's

Reaction Score
I am a 1964 graduate of UConn. Actually, graduated in 3 years and then went on to the University of California for a Masters Degree and graduated in 1965. I returned to CT while stationed in Groton, CT and completed my MBA in Information Technology. Went on to do Doctoral work at UConn Storrs in Political Science, thanks to the USMC. Oh, by the way, I was born and raised in Albuquerque, NM reside now on our family ranch outside of Wagon Mound. Happen to see the championship game by accident on TV and became a fan ever since.

Reaction Score
Not an alum. Graduated from the College of the Holy Cross in Worcester (1971). Much later (2013) earned a M.A. in communications at Northern Arizona University. Grew up in Springfield and lived in Connecticut for 11 years, during which I taught a journalism course at UConn. Used UConn WCBB games as bonding experiences with my daughter, and just kept following the team afterward, no matter where we lived.

Reaction Score
I am not. I'm from Maryland and have a niece that goes to UConn. I was invited to the Maggie Dixon Classic to watch UConn/Maryland and became a fan of the team. I love the defense and the way they play great fundamental basketball. I grew up in NJ during the 80's when Rutgers women were a top 10 team and have been a fan of WBB since then.

Reaction Score
'74 alum. Math & Comp Sci. I watch PBS pretty regularly and somehow fell into viewing the first season televised by CPTV in 1995. The excitement of the undefeated season hooked me, and, as my knowledge of basketball grew, the beauty of the choreography kept me. It's the only sport I follow since the poor millionaires struck against the rich millionaires in '94.

History lesson. Tommy Smith and John Carlos on the podium for the 200 meters sprint at the 1968 Mexico City Olympic Games, not looking at the flag. Caused quite a ruckus.
View attachment 27107
Didn’t know they had a CompSci degree by 74. Don’t remember any classes in 68-69. Started at UConn in 68, left after draft lottery win in 69, finished degree in 89 at CCSU (Storrs was too far for night and weekend classes) on GI bill.

Reaction Score
Not, both my wife and I are from Michigan, moved to Connecticut in 1978 for employment. We had three daughters and my wife hated to watch any sports on tv. In 1995 our middle daughter wanted to learn to play basketball and my wife informed me that it was my duty to teach her. She suggested that my daughter and I watch the UCONN Women on CPTV. I only agreed to watch girls play basketball if she also watched the game with us. Well the rest his history, the whole family watched the game together and became hooked. My wife and I have not missed watching or going to a game since. Our best friends also are avid fans and we all schedule our vacations to go and watch the girls play around the country. Since 2002 my wife's only Christmas wish is that I buy season tickets. As my father informed me just before I got married "I could be right or I could be happy, but I couldn't be both." I am a very happy man. Go Huskies

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Nope. But I was born and raised in Storrs, and went to E. O. Smith. Hung out on campus during the war protests, ran on the track in the old field house, watched Uconn football from the apple orchard (now the parking garage - I miss the apples!) My dad was an English professor at Uconn from 1947 - 1980ish and an emeritus until his death - the medieval studies library is named after him.
Left Storrs for college and ended up in NYC, upstate NY, Montego Bay, Chicago, and Miami for work, but with parents in Storrs was always cycling through. Dad first got me interested in the women around '95 and would watch games on TV whenever I was in broadcast range. Great day when CPTV offered streaming and I could catch the games during a year I spent in London.

Retired now and living back in Storrs in the house my parents built within walking distance of campus (the campus gets closer it seems every year!) Love the women as they play a game that I see as more in tune with what I grew up watching with the great Celtics teams. Lost interest in the men as I feel they have outgrown the court - fabulous athletes but ... And the women seem to appreciate the privileged of playing sport rather than display the arrogance of the men.

Reaction Score
Not an alum, but my wife got her masters and PhD from UCONN. She used to run on the track at the old field house, while the team practiced. We lived in CT for about 30 years (now in VA) and were season ticket holders for much of that time. But I’ll never forget our 1st NC. We were moving to California and I went out first. Was shopping for a tv at Best Buy and the championship game was on the tv. Stood and watched the final minutes...I was hooked. We moved back to CT a couple of years later. We’ve been able to attend the last 6 Final Fours where UCONN won the NC. Didn’t attend the ones where we didn’t win. Let’s just say that we’ll be in Columbus this year!

Reaction Score
Great to hear all these stories.... especially from those who were at UConn back in the old days. I was there from 71-75, lived in the old Frat Quad (northwest quad, Terry B), psych major (but really majored in basketball and beer!) Big deal hoop players back then were Joey Whelton, Earl Williams, Toby Hansen.... I grew up in NJ, but locals from CT schooled me in Toby Kimball, Art Quimby, etc. Biggest game while I was there was when undefeated Rutgers came to town (they made the Final Four... Phil Sellers and company). We lost, but it was a good game.

Reaction Score
Lived in greater Hartford for first 52 years. Attended the Hartford branch for a year, got married and went to work. Did get my daughter through her 4 years with a BS degree in 1988 and left school with the love of her life (a former UConn cheerleader) who have now been married 25 years. I began my love affair with UConn hoops following the guys in the late 50's and early 60's on TIC radio and now and then on CH8. Began following Geno in the early 90's and now chase them on TV and via replays. A regular at the USF games now and just so love watching quality team basketball being played, quite unique these days.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Nope, watched my first game on Armed Forces Network while stationed in The Netherlands, it was the 95 NC game against TN. Loved it so much because it reminded me of my JR High coach that taught the basics first and was a team oriented coach. Just saw my first live game up in Reno and watch every game that I can. It's easier now since I just recently retired for a second time. While I was in Reno, met a lovely couple from Conn, we went to the game together and afterwards had a lovely dinner, Bob and Cathy were the one's that lead me to the Boneyard.

Last edited:

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Not an alum.
South Bend, In. resident who loves the Huskies!!
A friend once asked me if i'd ever seen Diana Taurasi play (2002, maybe).
Eventually did. That's where it began.
Then... Maya Moore, Caroline Doty, Bria, Stef.
And then... The Gabulous One, Dr. G!
I told Gabby's dad at the Nevada game that Gabby was my favorite
player in the history of basketball (no joke)... and he hugged me. lol

It's been amazing to meet so many fellow BYers and to able to share thoughts, cheers,
and many, many, MANY victories!!

I have had experiences that I never would have imagined possible.
And it's all thanks to you, UCONN Nation!
We all know the address: The Basketball Capital of the World!
Let me ask you, do you get the cold shoulder from many ND fans once they find out who you root for. I saw Gabby when she was a Sophomore on TV in both the State Semi Final and Championship game, she was a great athlete for her age back then.

Reaction Score
A Vietnam vet. GI bill helped me through UCONN. Graduated in 1972 in accounting. Two brothers and daughter are also UCONN grads. Started my obsession with the UCONN women in 1995. (Thank you CPTV for helping this game grow)
Born, raised and lived (except during my stint in USAF) in CT until moving to Florida 5 years ago.
I remember listening on the radio to the men's games in the 60s. Toby Kimball, Ed Slomsenki, Gerry Manning, Dom Perno (he stole the ball from Bill Bradley enabling the men to play Duke for the national championship)
I love the NYY but love the UCONN Women 10 fold.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
ND alum and parent and, obviously, fan. However, I grew up on the North Shore of Long Island and knew a number of friends that attended colleges and universities in Connecticut, including UConn. Have always followed WBB/WCBB for a variety of family and friends reasons, so when I found about the early success of two young coaches in both South Bend and Conn, it caught my attention. Been a steady admirer of the Huskies since that time, save when they play one other team. ;)

Good question, interesting responses.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Not an alum. Graduated in '75 from Western Connecticut State University with a BS in music education and in '81 with a MS in music education. Our second son graduate from UConn in '04 as did his wife, our daughter-in-law. Started following the ladies in '94. Had season tickets for several seasons at the XL Center.

We now live in Florida so we can see the team live when they play at South Florida and Central Florida. BTW - both Central and South Florida have great fans. Always fun to attend the games.

Huskie78

Husky fan stuck in South Bend
Reaction Score
Let me ask you, do you get the cold shoulder from many ND fans once they find out who you root for. I saw Gabby when she was a Sophomore on TV in both the State Semi Final and Championship game, she was a great athlete for her age back then.
It happens. But not as often as you would think.
Many ND fans have great admiration for the UCONN program. As they should.
Doesn't make me hate them any less. lol

Reaction Score
I'd stay in the closet on this one. Do you have to be an undergrad.? How about post-undergraduate? Employee, professor, researcher? Having donated a few pennies/coins-- couldn't take them with me, and the banks were too greedy), full paying member of the alum club?

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
New York all the way:

Queens College '62; then Hunter for MA
Now in semi-retirement:
Guest Scholar
Barry S Brook Center for Music Research and Documentation
CUNY
NY, NY

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Grew up in CT. Lots of friends and family ended up at UConn. I was accepted to UConn but I really wanted to go to school in NYC, so I attended Columbia as an undergrad. Earned a graduate degree at Syracuse. Like many BY’ers, I became hooked on the Huskies in 95.

Reaction Score
In reading many of these posts, I've gleaned that some of the posters are not UConn alums, but I haven't really been able to tell who is. So I thought I would ask. :) And if you do reply, how did you come to be a fan?

I graduated UConn before they even had a women's team. I used to play hoops daily in the old Field House, which Geno and CD fondly describe as the place they practiced while the track team was running around the track surrounding the court. I watched MANY men's games in the same venue, when they were members of the old Yankee Conference. Interestingly, there was a group of black students who remained seated during the national anthem, which did not bother me in the least. Kaepernick was definitely not the first!

I also attended Yale graduate school, but when people ask where I went to school I always say, "UConn," because that is where my fondest memories reside. And with 11 women's national championships and 4 men's championships, it is where the bulk of my most enjoyable fan moments have originated as well!

CLAS 1975
I too played bball in the Field House and imagined I was Wes Bialosuknia. Unfortunately he graduated the year that I entered UConn (1967) so I didn't get to see him play in person. UConn wasn't nearly as good after that but the Field House was still a magical place for me. It was easy to root for the women's team when they emerged in the 80's as it is now. Unselfish play, high level athletes etc.

Reaction Score
Not an alum. I'm originally from da Bronx. My daughters both played high school basketball. I started following NYC product Sue Bird at Christ the King. I followed her exploits at UCONN but was not a real Husky fanatic at the time. My youngest played some travel ball with Steph Dolson and when she decided on UCONN, my wife and I became true Husky fanatics. Besides being great athletes, I can't say enough how much I admire the poise and confidence these young women carry themselves with. GO HUSKIES!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom