Who is your favorite "under the radar" Husky player ever? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Who is your favorite "under the radar" Husky player ever?

Reaction Score
Wow. I think previous posters covered everyone I would mention, but what a nice feeling it was to think about those players I always enjoyed -- the non-stars who would rise to the occasion time and time again. Duran ad Berube, Chong and Faris, Schumacher and Gardler and more. And JoePgh is right: MEL!!!! One of our all-time favorites. A great kid who played her heart out and probably would be better-remembered except for that injury that knocked her out.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Caroline Doty, had she not suffered from injury she wouldn't an "under the radar" player she would have been a star...
Agree 100%. I remember when she torched OU as a frosh in a 1 vs2 or 1 vs 3 battle and went 6-6 from deep. 3 ACLs later and she didn't pan out as expected, but I thought she was going to be a very very good player for the Huskies.

Reaction Score
Caroline Doty, a.k.a. CD2, a.k.a Honey Badger

maxresdefault.jpg

Caroline Doty was a tragedy. In her freshman year, she showed that she was destined for greatness. Her career effectively ended on the baseline in Syracuse near the end of that game's first half. There went her ACL; there went her career. She was never more than a shadow of her pre-injury self after that.

Can only imagine what would have been had Tiffany Hayes and Caroline Doty both remained healthy. They seemed about equally talented at the time. Yet a healthy Hayes went on to be a star in the pros, while Doty's career ended with graduation.

Perhaps the biggest disappointment.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Not that she’s under the radar but Steph was viewed as a “project” when she came to UConn, and she left as a 2 time AA, 2 time national champion an #6 pick in the WNBA draft.
Not sure how "projecty" she was. She came in as a McD AA. I never viewed her as a project.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Not sure how "projecty" she was. She came in as a McD AA. I never viewed her as a project.
Agreed. Steph was ranked 39th by Hoopgurlz and clearly had some skills. I guess a number of teams questioned her fitness level, and perhaps underestimated the size of Steph’s heart.

Reaction Score
Someone already said her, but Mel Thomas! And Maria Conlon. I remember the time when several guys with uconn body paint higher up in the stands all shouted in unison 'MEL DOESN'T FOUL!!' It was great!

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
Caroline Doty was a tragedy. In her freshman year, she showed that she was destined for greatness. Her career effectively ended on the baseline in Syracuse near the end of that game's first half. There went her ACL; there went her career. She was never more than a shadow of her pre-injury self after that.

Can only imagine what would have been had Tiffany Hayes and Caroline Doty both remained healthy. They seemed about equally talented at the time. Yet a healthy Hayes went on to be a star in the pros, while Doty's career ended with graduation.

Perhaps the biggest disappointment.
That was after she suffered two ACL tears in HS.....

Reaction Score
When you are talking about "under the radar" Husky player ever, I am thinking of player that came in hustled and did whatever needed to be done, no matter how many minutes they got on the floor. For me, I have a few; Stacey Wetzel, Barbara Turner, Ashley and Morgan Valley, & Mel Thomas.

Reaction Score
Under the radar. I have three. Two of them have been mentioned prominently and repeatedly in this thread, Berube and Faris. The third one for me is Ann Strother, who barely gets a mention these days even though she played a prominent role on two national championship teams. That's as under the radar as it gets. Just loved her game, did a little bit of everything. Would probably get more attention if her teams in in junior and senior years had an experienced point guard and a low post presence.

Reaction Score
There are many to me to pick but Kelly Faris stands out over all the rest because she was like a coach on the court!
She did all the little things that became BIG things that added to UCONN's success!
She played way over her skill level!

Reaction Score
Can the starting point guard be an under the radar player?
Maybe if Nicole Wolfe never was injured. She could have been an AA and was already starting as a freshman. Nicole never made it back. Maria would have been 3rd guard for 2 years.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure if she was necessarily under the radar, but Barbara Turner. Also from that same team, I like Jessica Moore as well. They were all under the radar compared to the all-time greatest player ever <----- Diana Taurasi! ..I also liked Caroline Doty as well; her freshman year before the injury was pretty memorable.
Barbara and Jamelle, tenacious, fierce, dominant.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom