OT: - Who is/was your most famous/successful blood relative? | Page 5 | The Boneyard

OT: Who is/was your most famous/successful blood relative?

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
If you Google my last name, my bio comes up first. I have a weird last name is all that means. (Although growing up in the New Haven area, people would recognize it as the name of my grandfather’s business.)

My paternal grandma’s younger brother was a bandleader who played with some famous musicians, including Doris Day.

Born Levine —> “Leeds”

That’s all I got in terms of blood relatives.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
More recently, I am great-uncle to Pittsburgh Pirates pitcher Steven Brault, better known for his hitting than his pitching. Had eight hits in nine consecutive at-bats last year and two years ago when 29 straight at-bats without a strikeout. Most notable mound achievement was giving up 10 earned runs in one inning to the Chicago Cubs last year.

Actually, he's becoming even more well known for his singing. As great-uncle, you better have bought the album, lol.

Brault also pitched an amazing game last year vs Rockies where his first 69 pitches were all fastballs. And he was tossing a shutout through five-plus. Gave up a dinger in sixth, got into 7th inning, left at 82 pitches. Won the game 6-2. Threw 72% strikes. After the fourth when he still hadn't thrown a breaking pitch, the announcers were getting downright silly about it. And oh yeah, he homered on top of that (441 ft, 2nd deck).

Last edited:

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I have a distant ancestor who was drummed out of Attila's army for conduct unbecoming a Hun.

More recently, I am great-uncle to Pittsburgh Pirates pitcher Steven Brault, better known for his hitting than his pitching. Had eight hits in nine consecutive at-bats last year and two years ago when 29 straight at-bats without a strikeout. Most notable mound achievement was giving up 10 earned runs in one inning to the Chicago Cubs last year.
I swear you were going for King Tut for a classic post/handle slam dunk.

Reaction Score
Not sure of any blood relative who are "famous" but great grandfather was sponsored by Joseph Bonanno when he came over from Sicily (on the Ellis Island records) and because of that I was denied dual citizenship in Italy

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
My mother-in-law is a distant cousin of Tom Jones.

Please tell me her name is Delilah (and if it is keep her away from Johnson.)

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
My grandfather was a gunnery sergeant with sniper service medals in the First Marine Division of the USMC during WWII and Korea.

I’ve also designed nuclear submarines and jet engines so both of our lives seems to revolve around ousting China. So I’d say either of us.

Reaction Score
I once sacked DJ Hernandez in a high school football scrimmage.

Similar claim to fame as my go to.

Aaron as a freshman dunked on me when I was a senior in a HS 3v3 tourney. I rotated over as a good help defender should and paid the price.

Reaction Score
My Dad and I each had our 15 minutes of fame...about 25 years apart.
nohitter.jpg

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Won’t name names, and not “famous” but one close family member has won 3 Emmys. There’s a chance a lot of people have seen their work.

Reaction Score
Actually, he's becoming even more well known for his singing. As great-uncle, you better have bought the album, lol.

Brault also pitched an amazing game last year vs Rockies where his first 69 pitches were all fastballs. And he was tossing a shutout through five-plus. Gave up a dinger in sixth, got into 7th inning, left at 82 pitches. Won the game 6-2. Threw 72% strikes. After the fourth when he still hadn't thrown a breaking pitch, the announcers were getting downright silly about it. And oh yeah, he homered on top of that (441 ft, 2nd deck).

Yes, I didn't quite do Steven justice. His baseball talent he no doubt got from my brother, his grandfather. As for his singing, I myself have always been able to carry a note (although I've always paid it back with a small overdue penalty.),

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I'm Eskimo brothers with Pete Wentz of Fall Out Boy
LOL.
Excellent.

Im Eskimo Brothers with Johnny Depp

I can't really express how envious I am, considering I'm Eskimo Brothers with Seth Greenberg.

You have no idea how hard that was to put out of my mind after I found out.

Reaction Score
Yes, I am that bored.

No names needed, but if they're dead, feel free.

For me ... One cousin was in the Olympics, my cousin Carol Vadnais played for the Bruins with Orr, Sanderson, et all. Another was a surgeon who was well known in his field. A great uncle did time in prison for rigging elections. He was on the governors council and took a dive for the top guys. When he got out, he got the first liquor license at the cape when the mass pike was finished, a license to sell insurance, and a no show job at a state college.

So who do ya got?
RIP my dad. Not famous.

2 purple hearts, 1 distinguished flying cross, a slight limp (see above) and hand folded by then president Reagan 13 star flag.

That WWII hero buried in St. Michaels Cemetery, Stratford CT.
My best friend.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
RIP my dad. Not famous.

2 purple hearts, 1 distinguished flying cross, a slight limp (see above) and hand folded by then president Reagan 13 star flag.

That WWII hero buried in St. Michaels Cemetery, Stratford CT.
My best friend.
My whole family is in that cemetery.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
They wanted Greek pizza and cold lobster rolls with mayo.

giving them a grave site was too generous. That calls for straight up cinder block around ankle into the LI Sound type disposals.

Reaction Score
Yes, I am that bored.

No names needed, but if they're dead, feel free.

For me ... One cousin was in the Olympics, my cousin Carol Vadnais played for the Bruins with Orr, Sanderson, et all. Another was a surgeon who was well known in his field. A great uncle did time in prison for rigging elections. He was on the governors council and took a dive for the top guys. When he got out, he got the first liquor license at the cape when the mass pike was finished, a license to sell insurance, and a no show job at a state college.

So who do ya got?
Well, I never met him, but a distant cousin was one of Doris Day's husband, and not a good one at that.
My mom’s adopted so don’t know much about her family, but I’m proud of my paternal grandfather.

His parents moved to America from Poland, as a kid he left school after 8th grade to work in the coal mines of western PA. Stopped mining in his 30s and took an aptitude rest that helped him get a gig to train him as an engineer. Got hired by a company and moved his family to Stamford, CT.

It’s not an uncommon story, but it’s cool that in the 1950s, someone with almost no formal education could work their way up to become an engineer.
Well, he may be more infamous than famous, but a distant cousin who I never met, was one of Doris Day's husbands, and not a good one at that.

Not that it made him famous, but my father who was an ordinary guy, during WW2 for a little bit, was the jeep driver for the actress Marlene Dietrich and for the actor John Garfield for the USO shows. I have a picture of him in uniform next to Marlene Dietrich. I know no more about it than that.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
LOL.
Excellent.

Im Eskimo Brothers with Johnny Depp
My most famous (known) Eskimo brother is Brian Bell, guitarist in weezer. My ex was a gigantic fan and would DM him and they eventually hooked up a few times. She was SHOCKED he ended up being a sleazebag despite him being 20 years older than her and being in an enormously famous band and hooking up with a fan he met online.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom