Who is Notre Dame? | The Boneyard

Who is Notre Dame?

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score

IMO teams like Notre Dame should not be making the tournament. The teams they've beaten aren't world beaters. Once again the Committee is unfairly penalizing Mid Majors because they can't play the level of competition to increase their SOS/RPI etc. Too much advantage is given to P5 Schools. This is especially true this year, because COVID19 cancelled so many Out of Conference Games.

Reaction Score
ACCT will determine.
3 wins yes
2 wins prob
0 wins out
1 win bubble

today vs Clem
Winner vs GaTech
Winner vs NCSt/VT/Mia

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I believe that ND has a good consecutive tournament appearance streak going on, which would have ended last season, so I am guessing that the committee will select them this year just because they are the Golden Domers.

Last edited:

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score

IMO teams like Notre Dame should not be making the tournament. The teams they've beaten aren't world beaters. Once again the Committee is unfairly penalizing Mid Majors because they can't play the level of competition to increase their SOS/RPI etc. Too much advantage is given to P5 Schools. This is especially true this year, because COVID19 cancelled so many Out of Conference Games.
SOS / RPI have no real meaning. Strictly using the NET.

In this Covid season, I do agree that the lack of OOC games by some / many schools (and even the unequal playing of conference games) make the committee's job more difficult.

Still, the pool of so-called mid-major teams that merit an at large bid (for being better than eligible P5 teams) is very small. Largely because, unlike the men's side, there has been little development of the mid-major level.

Only the new Big East, the American (at least while UConn was there), historically the A10 have shown a consistent ability to get multiple bids. And over half the conferences are 1 bid and are unlikely to ever be anything but 1 bid. The remaining conferences historically have some 2 team years, for example the MAC, WCC, MVC . . .

Reaction Score

IMO teams like Notre Dame should not be making the tournament. The teams they've beaten aren't world beaters. Once again the Committee is unfairly penalizing Mid Majors because they can't play the level of competition to increase their SOS/RPI etc. Too much advantage is given to P5 Schools. This is especially true this year, because COVID19 cancelled so many Out of
Like it or not, Notre Dame is a name brand that brings eye balls to the tv. This is a business and it’s about making $$$$. Fairness has nothing to do with it.

Reaction Score
SOS / RPI have no real meaning. Strictly using the NET.

In this Covid season, I do agree that the lack of OOC games by some / many schools (and even the unequal playing of conference games) make the committee's job more difficult.

Still, the pool of so-called mid-major teams that merit an at large bid (for being better than eligible P5 teams) is very small. Largely because, unlike the men's side, there has been little development of the mid-major level.

Only the new Big East, the American (at least while UConn was there), historically the A10 have shown a consistent ability to get multiple bids. And over half the conferences are 1 bid and are unlikely to ever be anything but 1 bid. The remaining conferences historically have some 2 team years, for example the MAC, WCC, MVC . . .
RPU is dead.

SOS is a component of NET rankings.

NET is only a guide for the committee’s selection. They are not bound by it.

At 10-10 ND qualifies. At NET ranking in the 50s, they probably won’t make it due to all the auto qualifiers but we’ll see what role politics play.

they do have a decent conference record

Reaction Score
you can never truly predict the outcome...ND always seems to be more lucky than good...the worst case scenario..(or nightmare)...ND gets in and ESPN is at south bend with there cameras filming the announcement with the team and NEW HC Ivey front and center.....

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
RPU is dead.

At 10-10 ND qualifies. At NET ranking in the 50s, they probably won’t make it due to all the auto qualifiers but we’ll see what role politics play.

Yes, although I'm not sure the SOS calculation is exactly the same. But regardless, that's the factor that I think is most affected by the varied schedules played by the different teams.

jumpstart

WBB fan in general
Reaction Score
Like it or not, Notre Dame is a name brand that brings eye balls to the tv. This is a business and it’s about making $$$$. Fairness has nothing to do with it.
WBB has a unique following and Notre Dame is just a part of it. I don't think them not being there..or being there..will effect the "eye balls" on the TV, as you put it. I have heard that same argument about North Carolina men's team. It's a silly argument. Sometimes "new" means more eyes....especially when Notre Dame WBB is mediocre at the moment.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
RPU is dead.

Rensselaer Polytechnic is dead? What happened?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom