Who is going to Houston? | Page 19 | The Boneyard

Who is going to Houston?

Reaction Score
I was right across from you in the FAU section 109 and had a great view of UCONN fans. I even saw some Orange mixed in with them. What was up with all those corner seats 100 seats vacant in the UCONN section?
You can’t see the court from there because of the risers

Reaction Score
You can’t see the court from there because of the risers
I was in 122 and saw those, they didn’t actually sell those seats, did they? I did see some people sitting early on in them I think.

Reaction Score
I have to think Miami had the most as there was orange all over the sections including UCONNs, then FAU, then UCONN and then Sand Diego State. It was kind of disappointing. I will say that UCONN was kind of hard to tell since it seemed like they had fans spread out over more levels. Overall I was little shocked that we had a low representation but after the game there was a decent amount cheering the team on for their victory. I would say at least a 3K-5K strong. I hope there will be more at the championship game.
FAU was pretty clearly the weakest represented school from my angle.

Reaction Score
I have an unexpected extra tonight, Sec124 row EE. DM me if anyone is looking to get in or get into the official UConn section!

Reaction Score
Galleria is not the best area for BBQ IMO so I would plan to drive.
Pinkerton’s is my go to due it’s proximity to my house and it’s really good. They’re a relative newcomer but have won a bunch of rewards.
Killen’s is regarded as one of, if not the best in Houston but it is furthest away.
Gatlin’s is a Houston staple solid but now in a strip mall which is a bummer.

Pappas and Goode Co are solid but bore me due to them somewhat local chains.

People poo poo Rudy’s BBQ but I like it and they have a little store inside where you can purchase rubs, sauces and other unique BBQ items.

Not all BBQ is created equal but it’s all usually good as long as it’s a dedicated BBQ restaurant.
Thanks for the recommendation. We went to Killen's yesterday (Sunday) and saw other fans especially Miami fans who I have a stronger dislike for than earlier on Saturday. Food was very good. Wife loved it which was added benefit for me.

A bit of a drive to Sugarland but not bad for me since I am further away than most since I am not downtown and staying in Energy Corridor and drove here. Easy drive down Sam Houston Parkway for me which avoided traffic.

Reaction Score
Any good or less bad options parking at NRG itself? I know the wife cannot handle the crowds on Metro so I am looking for options to avoid mass transit.

I'm sure getting there will be hassle since it is Monday but I'll leave early and go to Tailgate event like I did on Saturday. I'm southwest of i-10 and Downtown.

Reaction Score
FAU was pretty clearly the weakest represented school from my angle.
Not sure about that. FAU section was all FAU and packed. I think San Diego State was the weakest.

Reaction Score
Any good or less bad options parking at NRG itself? I know the wife cannot handle the crowds on Metro so I am looking for options to avoid mass transit.

I'm sure getting there will be hassle since it is Monday but I'll leave early and go to Tailgate event like I did on Saturday. I'm southwest of i-10 and Downtown.
We found free parking on a side street right next to the stadium. It was an easy 10-15 minute walk to the stadium.

Reaction Score
you'll need valid tix to get in the stadium since you need to scan. What people are saying is that ushers are not checking to make sure you are sitting in the correct seats. Just don't sit in my seats and we're all good.
Yes, I noticed that the ushers weren't doing anything once inside. We could have gone into the 500s since it's from the same concourse level. I just didn't know if there was a way to go to the lower concourses once inside. Outside they were checking.

Reaction Score
Nope only time we had a ticket checked was outside initially just to get into the stadium. But nobody was checking tickets when walking through the doors. There was a ramp to or escalator to walk to get to each section. We did go check the 500 section out first since I initially had gotten seats there but then went to out seats in the FAU section my brother got. But when we went back down and entered from the outside door nobody checked us there. The fist game had already started by the time we went down there so maybe you just have to wait after the game starts.
Thanks. We'll just go early and wander around acting dumb to see where we can get to.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
One of the weaknesses of having such neutral colors is it is really hard to tell absent an overwhelming presences. Slap red or orange on and it is a different story. I saw UConn fans in the FAU and Miami areas too…we just don’t stand out.

Reaction Score
Yes, I noticed that the ushers weren't doing anything once inside. We could have gone into the 500s since it's from the same concourse level. I just didn't know if there was a way to go to the lower concourses once inside. Outside they were checking.
What side where you on? They didn't check our tickets right outside the door. The only time we got checked was when we first were getting through the outside gates. You could go up and down the concourses as you pleased. Now when entering a section you might of run into someone that checked your seats but I never saw this.

Reaction Score
So should I wear my Hawkins 24 Jersey or my 4 Gordon Jersey? Both are blue. We won with Hawkins last game but I know we have won with Gordon jersey in the past.

Reaction Score
So should I wear my Hawkins 24 Jersey or my 4 Gordon Jersey? Both are blue. We won with Hawkins last game but I know we have won with Gordon jersey in the past.
Gordon.

Reaction Score
From what I heard students were placed there before they could get into their student sections? Could be completely false though
That's correct. They used that area as a holding spot for students in all 4 corners where the views are non-existent of the court.

Reaction Score
That might be from the people going north into the city, that line was long. The one going south (one stop to the end of the line at Fannin St lot) took maybe 10 min in line and the ride about 3 min. Was easy for us.

Once out of the Stadium, it was maybe a 10 min walk to the metrotrain, 10 min in line, and 3 min ride and walk to car. For just $15 parking, we we in our car getting on the highway a half our after walking out of the stadium.
This was absolutely the move. Thank you!

Reaction Score
This was absolutely the move. Thank you!
We came to the train platform from the south and basically walked right on because there wasn't a line from that side. Too many damn stops on that train. Felt like I was in a school bus stopping every 100ft.

Psolo12

Future Doctor of Law
Reaction Score
Crazy story here that I have to tell the boneyard because I’ve already told everyone else that will listen.
My girlfriend and I had rented an Airbnb in houston and when we got there it was the biggest piece of crap ever, no way I was gonna let it ruin my weekend. Decided to use all the capitol one points I had to book a random hotel. IT ENDED UP BEING THE WHITEHALL, THE TEAM HOTEL!! Got to meet a bunch of the guys and their families, Hurley, T Moore, Rip. Absolutely unreal experience that culminated in a championship. Absolutely blessed. Go huskies.

Reaction Score
Downtown Houston is just butt ugly city(with many parking lots and abandoned buildings). I thought Atlanta had empty space and bad highway systems but Houston is Atlanta on steroids. At least we have the mountains nearby and much more greenery. I found the food was also bad at it seems it is the city of chain restaurants(National and Local). It really doesn't have an identity. I much preferred San Antonio and Dallas.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
It's a stupid thing to say seeing as though regionals and the Final Four very likely will be played in Houston again, and UConn will likely play there again.

Not every thought someone has needs to be shared.
Texas pols have taken their shots for years. I like his returning fire.

Reaction Score
Gov. Ned Lamont is back from the men's college basketball Final Four and basking in UConn's resounding victory — but apparently wasn't the biggest fan of the city that hosted the event.

Asked Wednesday on WPLR's Chaz & AJ in the Morning to describe the scene after UConn's win over San Diego State, Lamont began with a comment on the city of Houston.

"You walk around downtown Houston, which is butt ugly, not much there..." the governor began, before the highly amused hosts cut him off.

The interview on WPLR was actually Lamont's second radio appearance of the day — and the second in which he took a dig at Houston.

"You're walking around downtown Houston, it's kind of godforsaken, not very pretty, but everywhere you go you see people in a T-shirt and they see you right back and [say] 'UConn Huskies,'" he told Brian Schactman on WTIC's Brian and Company.

Alternate free link:

CT Gov. Ned Lamont calls Houston 'butt ugly,' celebrates UConn national championship

Guess he hasn't walked around downtown Hartford in a while

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HassanDawg

Top Bottom