Who Do You Want To See UConn Play Next Season? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Who Do You Want To See UConn Play Next Season?

Reaction Score
We need a strong out of conference schedule to make ours comparable to Power 5 teams. This year several of those big games got cancelled, and we got somewhat lucky that other teams had two or more losses. Because of the weaker schedule we would have been ranked behind any Power 5 contender that matched us in losses.

Next year with our talent we should achieve our ranking with quality wins instead of fewer screw ups. To a large degree the conference schedule can be fine tuning. Getting the end of the bench some more time even if not prime time, developing consistency, defining roles etc. I don't think we should ever schedule a really good team first, partly because I want to keep our streak of avoiding back to back losses in tack, and partly because we need at least one non stressful game to start.

We have an entirely different situation from the Power 5 schools. They sometimes schedule cupcakes in the early season which is more like an extension of training camp, getting ready for the games that count later in conference. We are thrown into the fire right away, then have a relatively boring conference schedule with an occasional big out of conference mixed in, and then back to prime-time after the first couple of NCAA games.

With our typical schedule, experience makes a big difference when you have big games early. We are still very young but return the entire core so there is more stability there than there was this year. Mostly what we need the most is experience in handling adversity, and we only get that against top teams. When those teams take away a major part of our game-plan, what is our plan B and C and let's get used to succeeding with those as well.

Reaction Score
We need a strong out of conference schedule to make ours comparable to Power 5 teams. This year several of those big games got cancelled, and we got somewhat lucky that other teams had two or more losses. Because of the weaker schedule we would have been ranked behind any Power 5 contender that matched us in losses.

Next year with our talent we should achieve our ranking with quality wins instead of fewer screw ups. To a large degree the conference schedule can be fine tuning. Getting the end of the bench some more time even if not prime time, developing consistency, defining roles etc. I don't think we should ever schedule a really good team first, partly because I want to keep our streak of avoiding back to back losses in tack, and partly because we need at least one non stressful game to start.

We have an entirely different situation from the Power 5 schools. They sometimes schedule cupcakes in the early season which is more like an extension of training camp, getting ready for the games that count later in conference. We are thrown into the fire right away, then have a relatively boring conference schedule with an occasional big out of conference mixed in, and then back to prime-time after the first couple of NCAA games.

With our typical schedule, experience makes a big difference when you have big games early. We are still very young but return the entire core so there is more stability there than there was this year. Mostly what we need the most is experience in handling adversity, and we only get that against top teams. When those teams take away a major part of our game-plan, what is our plan B and C and let's get used to succeeding with those as well.
So, do you want a strong OOC schedule or not?

Reaction Score
More Pac 12: Stanford, AZ, the Oregons (homecoming for Evina, if not already scheduled) Different SEC to include Bama, Georgia, and of course South Carolina. Could do without Tennessee. Louisville, Ga Tech, Michigan the Iowas. Play as many difficult teams as we can.

Reaction Score
It is only the very first game that I think should be a pushover. We have not lost back to back games since I think 1993. It is a remarkable record I would like to keep intact. Every year we do not win a championship, we start the season with a one game losing streak like 63 other team in the tournament. Lose your first game of the season and that streak is gone. So your first highlighted portion is my main theme and the first game, and only the first game, is an exception to that.

Reaction Score
tenesse.. Oregon, Louisville, Arizona,SC , Stanford, Minnesota, Texas

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
I believe he does, but starting out with a top team can be tough to navigate. It doesn't have to be a cupcake, but it doesn't hurt to get a little consistency going before we challenge the top dogs. Two games would be fine, even one if we have to. Point is, Geno needs to see what he has before entering the big time wars.

Reaction Score
If possible; I would love to see Iowa and Minnesota on our schedules for the next three years. Clark is an awesome player and it would be great for the sport to have them compete against UConn. Have Minnesota do a two for one with UConn. Paige gets to play at home twice. Other than that games get boring playing the same out of conference teams even though I know that they are needed.

Reaction Score
Whoever wants to play us. I really would like to see our program get something going with UCLA, Gonzaga, Fresno State, and maybe Georgia.

Reaction Score
In an ideal world:

South Carolina, Stanford, Baylor, Maryland, Louisville, NC State, Iowa, Oregon, Syracuse, Notre Dame

This gets us to play the top 6 other teams on paper, the best guard in Clark, strong interior players Prince and Cardoso, and the satisfaction of handing ND another loss. 10 OOC, 20 Big East, 3 BET, 6 NCAAT - 39 total.

Reaction Score
It is only the very first game that I think should be a pushover. We have not lost back to back games since I think 1993. It is a remarkable record I would like to keep intact. Every year we do not win a championship, we start the season with a one game losing streak like 63 other team in the tournament. Lose your first game of the season and that streak is gone. So your first highlighted portion is my main theme and the first game, and only the first game, is an exception to that.
No, I don't agree with that. Don't schedule a cupcake just to keep the streak alive. No one is ever going to come close anyhow. Someone will double the 56 game hitting streak before UCONN's no back-to-back losses is broken. Scheduling a cupcake kind of diminishes the streak. Plus think about it, would you like the streak ended by a "cupcake" or a really good team?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Exhibition games can only be against Div II and Div III opponents, it can not be a Div I team.
I think there is an exception to the rule - must be closed gym, no score kept. In effect, a glorified scrimmage with no witnesses. Can't remember who did one of these when some preseason game fell through.

Reaction Score
STANFORD...STANFORD...STANFORD

Arizona. I do not care that they are losing Aari. they have a very good recruiting class already signed and could get more based on almost winning the championship, Most importantly, they have a great, great coach.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I
I would love that, I'm an hour and change away, but wouldn't do anything to help UConn to be honest.

it would be great for High Point to get a near sellout in its first game in the new den :) It would help "grow the sport" in Central NC, and we are all about growing the sport. :cool:

Reaction Score
Exhibition games can only be against Div II and Div III opponents, it can not be a Div I team.
Thanks for the feedback. Is this a NCAA rule/policy, a BE rule and/or UConn polcy?

Reaction Score
Iowa, Arizona, Stanford, South Carolina, Tenn., ND, Baylor, Oregon!

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
Arizona graduates too many but, yes, play more PAC-12 teams to counteract Big East travesties.
iirc, the "way too early" 2021 top 25 didn't even include UofA.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom