OT: Which Minivan? | The Boneyard

OT: Which Minivan?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Im looking to buy a used MV and looking to buy something used from `11 to `14. My choices are either a Toyota Sienna or a Honda Odyssey. What are the pros/cons of both and which would you recommend?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Both have similar engines and have very good reliability.

When buying used you have limited exterior color choices.

With minivans think practicality for what your family does and needs. Stow and go 3rd row? Auto open/close on lift gate? Sliding 2nd row seats? DVR or multiple charging outlets for entertainment devices? Leather upholstery?

For me, I'd go with whichever one has heather- easier to clean messes than upholstery, the most amount of power outlets and most convenience features like remote start, auto doors and lift gates.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
I second the Odyssey, best car in its class if you are willing to put up with a higher price tag. You can never go wrong with a Honda.

Reaction Score
Whats the oldest model i should get? What mileage should i be looking for? Would something as old as an 09 under 80k miles be a good investment?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Whats the oldest model i should get? What mileage should i be looking for? Would something as old as an 09 under 80k miles be a good investment?

Think about how you will use it. If you are doing lots of short trips an older model with less electronics is fine. Long trips means you want to look more for comfort. Do you need rear AC controls or not?

You really have to examine how the car was used. Look along the track lines of the sliding doors for corrosion, check out the wheels for dents, look under the hood at mounting hardware, belts, etc.
Minivans are almost always uaed by families with kids so look at the quality of the upholstery, make sure a seats slide and retract as advertised. Think about how a family would use and where that wear and tear would be
on a car.
You're buying a dork dad mobile and all the jokes that go with it. See if the dealer will throw in some jorts to go with it.
Don't compromise. Spend a few extra bucks to get what you need. You don't want to be a regretful dork. Be a proud one.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
We have had 4 Odysseys with no problems (except one had an electrical short that affected a door). Consumer Reports rates the Odyssey better.
But both are very good. Isn't the Odyssey bigger? Does that matter to you?
My wife's favorite was the old ,smaller Odyssey without sliding doors.

Reaction Score
My wife has a 2011 AWD Toyota Sienna and loves it. Get the bells and whistle. makes a difference... Toyota Sienna nav sucks

AtlHusky

Let's go outside our minds and play
Reaction Score
I know my Sienna was older than what you're looking for, but my experience with Toyota would tell you to get an Odyssey.

Need Advice on Car recall

Reaction Score
Had an Odyssey from 2006 to 2011. Great vehicle. Looked at both when we bought the Honda. It obviously depends on the dealership, but the Toyota dealership was way, way, WAY too pushy and the Sienna much more expensive.

We traded ours in at 100K miles and really didn't have any problem with it. We had to replace one of the tie rods in the front end, but that's because of the nasty dirt road we lived on. To my mind the new ones after 2010 look a bit smaller, but it must be an optical illusion. The specs show it actually 2-3 inches wider and everything else is the same. It's huge inside and phenomenal for trips. Amazing how much power that engine had and it still got great mileage.

Reaction Score
I'm looking for one as well but I need AWD. the sienna is the only model that offers it so my choices are limited.

Reaction Score
Love my Odyssey, 2007 with 150,000 miles. No leaks, doesn't burn oil, everything works perfect. Never a problem, still going very strong. Highly recommended.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Bought a brand new 2002 Odyssey at the end of 2001 and just traded it in a few months ago with almost 200,000 miles on it. Great, reliable family vehicle. 15+ years and no complaints. Replaced the timing belt twice, transmission once. A/C started to crap out last year and we bought a used compressor that thankfully had a warranty because it also crapped out and needed to be replaced.

Got a 2016 Pilot, which is a complete redesign that actually incorporates a lot of Odyssey features. For those who need AWD and are debating the Toyota Sienna, take a look at the new Pilots. We've been very happy so far. I think this is the fourth Honda I've owned. Big fan.

Reaction Score
I think that's a very good investment. Obviously, the risk factor is if it was well taken care of by the previous owner (oil changes, etc.) If it was, I don't think it's unreasonable with an Odyssey to get to around 200,000 miles without a whole lot of expenses. I have 150,000 on my 2007 and it runs perfect. Never had to do anything outside of general maintenance.

Reaction Score
I'm looking for one as well but I need AWD. the sienna is the only model that offers it so my choices are limited.

I thought the newer honda has awd... we drive maine in the winter and so awd was a must

Reaction Score
We have had 4 Odysseys with no problems (except one had an electrical short that affected a door). Consumer Reports rates the Odyssey better.
But both are very good. Isn't the Odyssey bigger? Does that matter to you?
My wife's favorite was the old ,smaller Odyssey without sliding doors.
Actually, CU rates Sienna higher as a used vehicle. We had a 96 Dodge Gran Caravan for 14 years and loved it. We went smaller in 2010, but switched back to a Sienna last year. One of the kids has a Honda, a little older, and it's fine too. Our Sienna is a 2012. Always some decent deals coming off leases. Can't go wrong with Toyota or Honda, but I'm looking at new Chrysler Pacifica. Waiting for some data on new design. Their folding seats are tops.

Reaction Score
I looked at CU, and also car-specific forums. Check the generations of the designs. Usually best to wait until 2nd year of a new design generation. I also tried to keep mileage as low as possible, as the 2 cars I had to get last year (1 by choice, 1 by getting other totaled by someone running a red light) might be my last 2.

Reaction Score
The downside to AWD in the Sienna is no spare. They use run-flat tires, which no one seems to like. The new Pilot can seat 8, as can some others, but generally not as convenient as a van. The car forums basically say that good winter (not all-season) tires will be very good in bad weather.

Reaction Score
The downside to AWD in the Sienna is no spare. They use run-flat tires, which no one seems to like. The new Pilot can seat 8, as can some others, but generally not as convenient as a van. The car forums basically say that good winter (not all-season) tires will be very good in bad weather.

My wife had a pilot before the sienna and loved it. Great car. The no spare sucks .

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
We have a 14 Sienna. AWD was the feature that swayed us toward Toyota. We love it, it is a blessing with 2 little kids, road trips and infrequent trips that include the grandparents as well. Only knock on it is as someone else mentioned, the nav is horrible. One of the worst user interfaces I've experienced in the past 5 years. I prefer the Maps app on my iPhone with traffic etc for driving directions.

Reaction Score
Plymouth, MA isn't Maine, but front wheel drive has always been good in the snow, but the traction control always worked like a champ. The only time I ever had an issue with the Odyssey in winter was on straight ice on the hill driveway we had. But then, I've spent 16 years on and off in central new york driving in lake effect snow every day in the winter. I haven't had any vehicle that wasn't fine in the snow since a Nissan 240SX some twenty years ago.

Reaction Score
I really liked our old Odyssey. It was quick and handled more like an Accord. I would totally forget how much vehicle was behind me. My wife gave up minivans when the kids didn't need strollers anymore. She prefers a smaller vehicle. I'd love to have one again but I don't want to drive one everyday either.

Reaction Score
Plymouth, MA isn't Maine, but front wheel drive has always been good in the snow, but the traction control always worked like a champ. The only time I ever had an issue with the Odyssey in winter was on straight ice on the hill driveway we had. But then, I've spent 16 years on and off in central new york driving in lake effect snow every day in the winter. I haven't had any vehicle that wasn't fine in the snow since a Nissan 240SX some twenty years ago.

I'm in north central Indiana near Notre dame. We get lake effect snow throughout the winter and our subdivision doesn't get plowed out for over a day past the storm. Awd seems like a must.

For those that have the pilot. What is the difference in cost between say Odyssey, Sienna, and pilot?

Reaction Score
Thanks a ton for all the responses fellas. Definitely feel a lot better about getting an Odyssey than i did yesterday. I let you guys know what happens. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom