Where Will UConn's 2022 Graduates Go in WNBA Draft? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Where Will UConn's 2022 Graduates Go in WNBA Draft?

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Five years from now, Liv’s game will more resemble DeWanna Bonner’s than any of the traditional posts y’all have been talking about.
She may be a bit thin, but she's gonna have to get a lot thinner to resemble Bonner. And add a 3 point shot. And become a high volume shooter w/ simply no conscious.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
She may be a bit thin, but she's gonna have to get a lot thinner to resemble Bonner. And add a 3 point shot. And become a high volume shooter w/ simply no conscious.
I think Liv is naturally that thin, but she’s worked a ton on building the muscle that she has. Last year you could see that they were trying to add the 3 point shot into her game, and I think she’s going to keep working on that that this year.

And Bonner isn’t THAT high volume of a shooter. lol.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
She's a talented player, don't get me wrong. Maybe she's toned it down since she's been w/ the Sun. When she was with the Merc it seemed like if she touched the ball, she was putting it up, regardless of the quality (or lack thereof) of the shot. Or maybe my memory is playing tricks on me.

Reaction Score
I think Liv is naturally that thin, but she’s worked a ton on building the muscle that she has. Last year you could see that they were trying to add the 3 point shot into her game, and I think she’s going to keep working on that that this year.

Bonner shoots from the parking lot, and she has dribbling skills that lead into her shots. ONO can shoot from the free throw line extended when her defender gives her an eternity to wind up her shot. I dont see her being Dewanna Bonner anytime soon. She doesnt have the mechanics in her game to do it. You are short changing Bonner.

I'm telling you that ONO can be a teams Brianna Turner. A defensive 4, if she can play some defense on the perimeter. She does possess a mid range shot, which is more than Turner has. She has the height and length to defend in the paint, but her agility would be an asset in defending the more versatile 4s in the league (Stewart, Wilson, Parker, etc).

Having said that, Turner is a starter and now a two time All-Defensive player. I don't see that level of defensive excellence for ONO, but I think that would be her role.

Reaction Score
Some others have said this but I think it depends on what team ONO ends up being drafted by. She has a lot of great skills that could be utilized by the right team. Some have used Mercedes Russell as an example. I thought she’d be out of the W by her second year but Seattle took her after she got waived and she has become a great reserve/starter for the Storm. She has good height, is a strong passer and facilitator in the post, and could be a strong defender.
Mercedes is truly the benefactor of good coaching she didn't have in TN or with her first WNBA team.

Reaction Score
Five years from now, Liv’s game will more resemble DeWanna Bonner’s than any of the traditional posts y’all have been talking about.

She isn’t there right now because she’s had to be a more traditional post, but if a team drafts her to be a banger in the paint, I think we all know she won’t see a ton of playing time.
I don't see the comparison, partly because on her current team Bonner isn't a post at all, she is a wing. A very tall, very skinny wing. Playing next to J. Jones and B. Jones it makes sense, and she has found a comfort zone there. Mobile and long enough to guard 3's, while able to take them one on one and shoot over them.

Liv could probably guard spot up 4's on the perimeter, and maybe an occasional 3, but offensively she doesn't appear to have any of Bonner's skills. In some ways I think Liv is a traditional post. She scores most of her points very close to the basket usually against much smaller players that are not that physical. When facing size and strength her low post game has disappeared against bigger college players, and it only gets worse in the pros.

Her likely draft position suffers from those perceptions. Is it possible she could reverse those views? Maybe, but she needs to power thru contact when surrounded by other bigs underneath, bang hard for position on offense and hold hers on defense. Scouts are waiting to see that. With Dorka onboard the Uconn practices might be revealing. Liv has a talented physical player every bit as tall and quite a bit stronger to battle with. That might help her, but I just don't see the physical strength and skills to succeed were she needs to, namely right under the basket against players as tall and much stronger.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom