OT: - Where does RP coach next year? | The Boneyard

OT: Where does RP coach next year?

Reaction Score
Rick Pitino.

Another day, another Covid Cancellation. Every element of the Huskies v. 2022 has been criticized ( both definitions) ad nauseam.

So what else we got?

Year 2 of purgatory for slick Rick. In the college sport is a business category, some big time school in a power conference makes a play next year, no? I wouldn't want us to go to New Rochelle to play them....yes I know they'd come here...but still.

Any BE schools????

WTV.

Reaction Score
Personally, I think Iona is his last coaching spot.

Back in March '21 when the Indiana spot was open, Pitino was quoted "I’m not going anywhere...If I go anywhere, it’s retirement, and I don’t plan on retiring anytime soon.”

He's got a shady history, but it was really cool watching him coach live back in November. I was sitting baseline, just five rows from the Iona bench.

He's obviously a gifted coach and at his age, I'm at the point of just enjoying that he's still coaching and thankful that I'm just a 30 minute drive from watching him coach in person. I'll try to go to at least one more 1 PM Sunday game this season.

As a Norwalk resident who’s a 50 minute drive from four MAAC schools, I'm also happy that he's helping to elevate the conference. College basketball, as a whole, is better when the Big East, A-10 and MAAC are playing better.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Here's the thing with Pitino. You can't believe a single thing that comes out of his mouth. So I wouldn't use that quote to prove anything.
Fair. I simply included the quote as support to my gut opinion.

Reaction Score
I live in Louisville and go to many U of L games. I can tell you that the fans are talking about it and also are constantly booing their team during games. Mack is hanging on by a thread and the fans here want Rick back. I can't see it happening though.

Reaction Score
Here's the thing with Pitino. You can't believe a single thing that comes out of his mouth. So I wouldn't use that quote to prove anything.
True. I would be willing to bet theres an AD out there at a higher D1 school who would 100% give him a HC job. Pitino is 69 years old. Coach K will be 75 in the coming weeks, and Boeheim is 77. It’s clear Pitino still has the motivation to coach, and I think he would jump at the right opportunity.

Reaction Score
Of course he;s getting another big job. Was he actually found guilty of anything at Louisville?

Reaction Score
I love the concept it is both a top ten job and the profile needs to be raised.
My favorite post was someone calling the Cuse job a Ferrari and suggesting they don’t want Pitino bc they could get Oats from Bama bc Bama basketball is like Kentucky football, a good season here and there but not sustainable.

The fact they have ONE national title in all his years there and it’s a Ferrari is probably the funniest thing I’ve read in a long time.

Reaction Score
So far, they beat Alabama, Harvard and Yale, but lost to St. Louis, Kansas, and Belmont, all decent teams.

The rest of their upcoming schedule is against league teams, none of whom have any national standing.

Maybe he is content with a first weekend victory in the NCAA and the possibility of a second weekend win. There is a ceiling with Iona with the league it belongs to, and with competing for recruits against better conferences.

But, at his age, is he up to jump starting a losing team in a P5 conference? Would he consider Wake Forest or Boston College? Would he work a Massachusetts miracle for them?

He didn't do so hot in the pros, but how many college coaches do?

If a winning program has its coach retire, then maybe they would consider him. He's not an unknown quantity and might appeal to recruits in a solid program with a retiring coach.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Personally, I think Iona is his last coaching spot.

Back in March '21 when the Indiana spot was open, Pitino was quoted "I’m not going anywhere...If I go anywhere, it’s retirement, and I don’t plan on retiring anytime soon.”

He's got a shady history, but it was really cool watching him coach live back in November. I was sitting baseline, just five rows from the Iona bench.

He's obviously a gifted coach and at his age, I'm at the point of just enjoying that he's still coaching and thankful that I'm just a 30 minute drive from watching him coach in person. I'll try to go to at least one more 1 PM Sunday game this season.

As a Norwalk resident who’s a 50 minute drive from four MAAC schools, I'm also happy that he's helping to elevate the conference. College basketball, as a whole, is better when the Big East, A-10 and MAAC are playing better.
BMHS 69

Reaction Score
I wouldn’t mind seeing him go to Georgetown. Bring GT back to their former glory, and be fun beating them.

Reaction Score
I've ignored that board for years but this season I can't look away.
It is great entertainment. I looked in on there in-game chat. Not sure if there were technical difficulties, but there were only two posters. TWO! There were quite a few during the last game. I know interest in Syracuse basketball has fallen off a cliff, but there must have been something else wrong to have just two.

Reaction Score
I know interest in Syracuse basketball has fallen off a cliff, but there must have been something else wrong to have just two.
Boeheim's systems are designed to be effective, but to the viewer, if very boring basketball.

A counter-example, my hate towards Duke is almost parallel, but there are years I'll watch the team just to see a good team play. The Zion team was fun and while I haven't seen Duke play yet, I'm curious to see Banchero. With Duke, there's an element of intrigue.

Cuse's zone D is boring and they haven't have an exciting talent since Elijah Hughes in '19-'20. Watching the Boeheims and Girard is as fun as being a kid watching your dad play at the Y with his friends. Sure, they hit shots, they have "good fundamentals", but it's only fun when one of them hit the deck hard.

Reaction Score
I agree with UMass. He is an alumn and recommended Calipari to them. They need to stop being so cheap and take a chance.

Reaction Score
Anywhere prostitutes outnumber the general public and there's an Italian restaurant on every corner
He's already at iona. Why would he move over to Fordham?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom