Where does MLS rank among the world's best? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Where does MLS rank among the world's best?

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
For the MLS to grow they need to adopt the relegation/promotion format used around the world. The MLS and USL divisions should find a way to combine and become one entity with relegation and promotion between the levels being a standard.

Otherwise we have probably hit our cap of being in the range of 12-20 best league in the world.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
MLS was designed to keep the payroll down. It will never get any better than it is right now. American still do not get soccer, you can't run MLS the was they run other major sports in America. The other USA leagues are the best in the world. They only idea for growth is trying to crush the USL.
The ownership structure is a problem. It means we can't have relegation. There are already too many MLS teams. Need a clear 1st and 2nd division with relegation if you really want it to get better.

Reaction Score
Need an open pyramid but US businesses philosophy won't permit the risk

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Messi wants to play for Miami in the MLS.
Messi in Miami is today's version of Beckenbauer joining the Cosmos 45 years ago.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
For the MLS to grow they need to adopt the relegation/promotion format used around the world. The MLS and USL divisions should find a way to combine and become one entity with relegation and promotion between the levels being a standard.

Otherwise we have probably hit our cap of being in the range of 12-20 best league in the world.

The ownership structure is a problem. It means we can't have relegation. There are already too many MLS teams. Need a clear 1st and 2nd division with relegation if you really want it to get better.
MLS will never have promotion/relegation and tiered leagues because the business model has been to overcharge on adding franchises. If your plan is to charge a couple hundred million dollars to put a team in a new market (or double down on an existing market) you can't sell the idea if the new franchise owner has to worry about being relegated.

Everything about the way we do this here is counter productive for building a national team at the highest level.

All in all the statements that MLS may be ~15 or so in rankings if professional leagues may be accurate but the difference in quality between MLS and whatever league is 25 is far less than than the difference in quality between #8 or #9 and MLS.

Reaction Score
The Championship I could see an argument for, but I don’t think any other second tier could make a case.
I regularly watch 2. Bundesliga matches but honestly can't say I see too much of MLS matches so I may be biased. I'm not saying it's light years ahead of MLS, but that the level of play, top to bottom, may be slightly better; I could be wrong. Anyway, at that level there probably isn't much of a difference.

Reaction Score
I regularly watch 2. Bundesliga matches but honestly can't say I see too much of MLS matches so I may be biased. I'm not saying it's light years ahead of MLS, but that the level of play, top to bottom, may be slightly better; I could be wrong. Anyway, at that level there probably isn't much of a difference.

How much 2. Bundesliga matches do you think Shizzle has seen?

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I’ve never seen one. Aside from Wrexham I’ve never seen any lower division Euro football. Paul Mullin and Ollie Palmer look great, but I’m sure that’s just due to the poor competition.

But I’ve seen enough MLS to suggest you’re on the right track. There are good players, sometimes several on a given team. But the talent is highly uneven. If MLS had half as many clubs maybe.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
MLS probably ranks 15-20 in the world. It's growth is limited because they have a salary cap and no understanding of futbol.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Approximately the same number of MLS matches I've seen in the last 2 years.
For kicks, I looked up the FIFA 23 rankings of players and teams. If that is of any value, B2 and MLS are pretty comparable. The Championship would be a slight step above either. Rationally, that seems right.

Reaction Score
This may be old news here. NYCFC is getting a new stadium next to Citi Field in Queens. They have a message board with 22k posts going back to 2014 about getting a new stadium. Will seat 25k and cost almost $800 million. I'd say MLS is doing quite well.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
For kicks, I looked up the FIFA 23 rankings of players and teams. If that is of any value, B2 and MLS are pretty comparable. The Championship would be a slight step above either. Rationally, that seems right.
If you checked on the value of the coaches you would see why there is still a big discrepancy.

Reaction Score
If you checked on the value of the coaches you would see why there is still a big discrepancy.

The idea that the Championship is only a slight step above MLS is slightly hilarious.

Reaction Score
This may be old news here. NYCFC is getting a new stadium next to Citi Field in Queens. They have a message board with 22k posts going back to 2014 about getting a new stadium. Will seat 25k and cost almost $800 million. I'd say MLS is doing quite well.

It’s about time. They’ve only been working in this for 8 years.

Funny that they got it done before the Revs though.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
The idea that the Championship is only a slight step above MLS is slightly hilarious.
Not my rankings. I suspect the bottom wouldn’t win MLS. MLS is just weird due to the contract structure. Like I said, that Revolution team two years ago was legit quite good. Turner, Buchanan, Buska, Bou, Gil, it just can’t last.

Reaction Score
Not my rankings. I suspect the bottom wouldn’t win MLS. MLS is just weird due to the contract structure. Like I said, that Revolution team two years ago was legit quite good. Turner, Buchanan, Buska, Bou, Gil, it just can’t last.

MLS doesn’t have the depth. They would get hammered in the Championship. In the Championship the play more games too. MLS isn’t built to compete like that.

Reaction Score
Where does the Saudi league rank among leagues? I see that Ronaldo is signing for big bucks over there so I was wondering what the thoughts are on that. Good or bad move? I mean, €200 is €200.

I checked out the Saudi National team and it looks like the entire team plays in Saudi Arabia. Then I checked out Al-Nassr and see that Gonzalo Martinez from Argentina who also played MLS is on the squad. Also Luiz Gustavo from Brazil.

Reaction Score
Yes, I'm not sure what your point is.
His point is that, as to soccer, anything American is bad and anything in European is good. And if someone or something has mixed ties to Europe and the U.S. (see, e.g., Berhalter, Greg and Donovan, Landon), he just pretends their background is entirely European or American based on whether he likes them or not.

Reaction Score
MLS will never have promotion/relegation and tiered leagues because the business model has been to overcharge on adding franchises. If your plan is to charge a couple hundred million dollars to put a team in a new market (or double down on an existing market) you can't sell the idea if the new franchise owner has to worry about being relegated.

Everything about the way we do this here is counter productive for building a national team at the highest level.

All in all the statements that MLS may be ~15 or so in rankings if professional leagues may be accurate but the difference in quality between MLS and whatever league is 25 is far less than than the difference in quality between #8 or #9 and MLS.
It is unrealistic to think that rich people are going to abandon the American theory of owning a major league sports franchise, that has been incredibly successful over time, to pick a model that may be good for developing the sport but won't, in the short or intermediate term, drive franchise values up. It is what it is.

Plus TV money is not going to be the same if contracts go to bid with no guaranty that major teams will remain in the largest TV markets.

Reaction Score
Where does the Saudi league rank among leagues? I see that Ronaldo is signing for big bucks over there so I was wondering what the thoughts are on that. Good or bad move? I mean, €200 is €200.

I checked out the Saudi National team and it looks like the entire team plays in Saudi Arabia. Then I checked out Al-Nassr and see that Gonzalo Martinez from Argentina who also played MLS is on the squad. Also Luiz Gustavo from Brazil.

It doesn’t rank.

Reaction Score
It is unrealistic to think that rich people are going to abandon the American theory of owning a major league sports franchise, that has been incredibly successful over time, to pick a model that may be good for developing the sport but won't, in the short or intermediate term, drive franchise values up. It is what it is.

Plus TV money is not going to be the same if contracts go to bid with no guaranty that major teams will remain in the largest TV markets.

And that’s why our league will always be a selling league and not a top league in the world.

Reaction Score

I used to think that.

But does Brazil have a top global league? Does Argentina?

England has the toughest league in the world and they never deliver on expectations.

We can be perfectly fine with a domestic selling league with Academies developing players just like they do in Argentina, Brazil, Belgium etc.

France has an awesome team. But the league as a whole has no parity and it is at best 4 or 5th in the world.

You don’t need to have the best League. Also one of the theories on why England always underperforms is that because the play in England where you have two domestic cups, League and Champions/Europa League. These guys aren’t fresh and rested.

Whereas the top players from places other than England play in Ligue 1, La Liga, Serie A or the Bundesliga. Those leagues have much more humane schedules and some even take a winter break.

Reaction Score
And that’s why our league will always be a selling league and not a top league in the world.
Is that a contributing factor? Maybe. That soccer is, at best, the 4th most popular team sport in the country might have a little more to do with it.

Reaction Score
It doesn’t rank.
So it is purely about the cash then. It seems odd that someone of Ronaldo's stature would go to a crappy league. I understand the sport is very different than our US sports but does this make sense? Is it because he knows he is slowing down? Come to America Ronaldo!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom