• Business owner

Votes: 9 4.0%
  • Healthcare

Votes: 19 8.4%
  • Insurance

Votes: 14 6.2%
  • Other

Votes: 28 12.3%
  • Trades (Construction, electrical, boat building, etc.)

Votes: 6 2.6%
  • Marketing/Advertising

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • IT

Votes: 20 8.8%
  • Finance

Votes: 29 12.8%
  • Operations/Management

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • Food service

Votes: 3 1.3%

• Total voters
Reaction Score
It seems to me that everyone on the ol' 'Yard is a lawyer or teacher. I'd like to see how true or untrue that perception is. Choose the industry you work on below, or comment if your field isn't included. If you're retired, choose whatever you spent the bulk of your career doing.

What Would You Say You Do Here Office Space GIF

Edit: Apparently I can edit the poll response options, so if your field isn't included, let me know and I'll add it. You can change your response, so feel free to do so as the list of choices evolves.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Teacher. Assistant principal in 2023 if I play my cards right.

My dad occasionally posts on my account--he's a boat builder.

I do not teach woodshop but if any of you have a bunch of money and want a custom made boat under like 30 feet, hit me up lol.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
I work in the digital marketing space- Google, Facebook ad strategy and management.
Does that count as sales? I don’t know.

Reaction Score
Former CMO, floundering start up founder and perpetually aggravated (i wish i could get paid for being annoyed).

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
My first career was as a business equipment repairman for Olivetti, from 66 through 72. Ended up a decade later managing the service department for a business equipment dealer, and eventually dragged them kicking and screaming into the computer age.
Meanwhile, I'd been augmenting my income writing for several outdoor magazines, and as that became busier and more lucrative for me, I expanded into writing about other subjects I was well versed in as well. By the time the kids were grown and the mortgage was paid, we had what seemed a decent nest egg tucked away, so I retired from that occupation in 1989 and wrote full time, until my health attacked me again. We ended up uninsured and hospitals and doctors took our nest egg away. Went to work for a friend who runs a fishing lure company as the IT department, Export Manager and molding equipment repairman. I modernized his computer system (the software he was using when I went to work there had originally been written for the Wang.) Wrote him an entirely home grown system based on Lotus 123 with a front end from Lotus Approach. I was there from after my AAA surgery in '98 until 2012, when I retired for good for vascular surgery. Since then, I've been a professional patient, and have gone very few years without some kind major surgery or malady.

Reaction Score
I wanted to say something snarky like Chief's top advisor but I couldn't bring myself to it plus it could jeopardize a future job opportunity. That is unrelated, by the way.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
I have such a niche role that I still don't know how to easily explain it. So every time somebody asks me what I do, they see the look on my face and the long pause, and pretty much say nevermind, forget I asked. Works for everyone.

Short answer is consultant to enterprise software companies

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom