What I hope to see next season from each player (work on over the summer) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

What I hope to see next season from each player (work on over the summer)

Reaction Score
I would only add for Evina finishing at the rim and getting the confidence completely back in the mid range jumpers and 3s. For Paige, it has to be the continual insertion of herself and her will in every game and taking responsibility for the team but for the summer that can only translate into perfecting the all around aspects of her game including defense with training, shooting, conditioning and strength. CW should probably work on her first step on the drives and her pull ups and 3s. I think the other players were covered before but the above 3, plus Azzi, is where I think most of the points will come from next year.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Like the OP fixation on hook shots. When I played BB I loved hook shots, especially banked ones - used to spend a lot of time on the black top just shooting them. (Of course I like playing pool and working bank shots there too.)
It is one of those things in BB that seemed to disappear once everyone became obsessed with dunks, but every once in awhile a player rediscovers the hook shot and for a few years becomes a phenom again. It really is almost unblockable and not a difficult shot to master.

Paige and other guards who drive into the trees use sort of a modified hook shot on many of their drives - the hand away from the defender in a looping full extension, just more of an sidearm delivery than the full over the head and shoulders.

Reaction Score
Olivia: get stronger, work on shooting the ball without bringing the ball down where shorter players can steal it, work on banking your layups off the glass
Aubrey: work on faking before shooting a layup, work on your two and three-point shots
Christyn: work on being more consistent
Aaliyah: work on your two-point shot
Paige: work on the simple pass, sometimes the longer passes didn't work
Nika: work on your 3-point shot and the confidence to shoot it; you can shoot it, but you have to believe it

Everyone else: work on your overall game

Reaction Score
Forgot Evina: Work on being aggressive in every game, you have the skills, enforce your will on each and every game

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
For the team, come out playing from the opening tipoff. None of this taking 15 minutes to get going. For Paige, try taking a shot before we are six minutes into the game. Don't take the Big East for granted. Go for the jugular. For non-starters, play like you want to start when you get in. Make the most of your time, don't just sit and pout. I really hope the non-starters can push the starters for playing time. And I hope Geno rewards them if they do.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Just a brief comment on Eric's post. I think that Tina Charles' hook shot may be the best weapon in the W. For years, I've wanted the taller UConn players--Lou included--to develop a baby hook. I'd like to see Liv, Liya, and Aubrey especially work on that. I think Paige already has it.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Outside of what's been mentioned already: I'd like to see Saylor work on her inside game and some back-to-the-basket moves. When the coaches can work with the players, I hope that CD and Jamelle work with her. I think she can be an effective stretch 4.

Reaction Score
Just a brief comment on Eric's post. I think that Tina Charles' hook shot may be the best weapon in the W. For years, I've wanted the taller UConn players--Lou included--to develop a baby hook. I'd like to see Liv, Liya, and Aubrey especially work on that. I think Paige already has it.
I agree 100% but I don't bother mentioning it here anymore. A lot of these people have no idea what the shot is or how it works. They probably think it's like the hook shot Bill Russell took back in the '50s running through the lane. B. Stewart has it too and it's almost unblockable. Another college guy who uses it with both hands is Drew Timme of Gonzaga. Kids would have to learn it from someone who has it because obviously most coaching staffs don't know how to teach it.

Reaction Score
Paige: build some muscle

C: consistency in her shot. She was building to being an All American late into the season, but that type of play needs to happen for the entire season

ONO: I would love for her to develop into a post but that’s been drawn out here. So, if she continues to play the high post, she needs to develop that outside shot to be consistent

E: rest and hopefully build some strength.

Aaliyah: needs to be a better passer, especially in the high post. Work on that jumper around the free throw line as well

Nika and Aubrey: mid range and long distance shots need work

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Olivia - work on a baby hook. 6'3"
Aaliyah - would also like to see her also work on a baby hook shot. She's one who might benefit from leaving campus and playing hoops with the Canadian National team - playing with elite players against elite players.
Piath - work on a baby hook shot. See a theme there?
Freshmen: I would say get to Storrs as soon as possible, hit the weight room, meet with a fitness/nutrition trainer, and get their bodies in as good of shape as possible.
ANYONE who is on the "bubble" right now and who does NOT work a ton on their game simply won't see the floor on a consistent basis.
On paper no one has more talent than UCONN on their roster
Great job!
  • You are so right! A baby hook is a must for college centers. Liv, Aaliyah, Piath, and Amari PLEASE learn it. Practice it. And use it in games! Tina mastered it. With it Stewie became totally unstoppable. I thought last fall CD said Liv was working on developing a baby hook. She could not master it? Actually in addition to the baby hook I want all of the posts to make 250 shots every day from within the restricted area while a tall practice player or two harasses them. Too many blown layups/bunnies.
  • Freshmen arrive unready for the grueling UCONN practices. They arrive having not begun weightlifting to gain strength. Not aerobically fit for the college game. Why?
  • Bubble babies will sweat it for PT. Next season there will be loads of competition for PT. Gain every advantage you can.
  • "On paper no one has more talent than UCONN on their roster" On paper, maybe. But on the court? Posts are weaker than most other top 15 teams. Aaliyah is the only UCONN post I have any confidence in both offensively and defensively. But even she needs a jump in skills and ability. And yeah, I agree she should compete with the Canadian National team. I like Liv in the high post on offense but not in the low post. Her defense is good. Amari looks to be Liv v2. She really needs strength training. Piath may surprise. Her moves around the basket appear to be much smoother than Liv's.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I was looking at a picture the other day that I believe had Liv and Amari together, and Liv's lower legs looked like they were less that one half the circumference of Amari, and Amari did not look huge, just normal. Liv looked like she had pipe cleaners for lower legs. If she is that skinny it is no wonder she gets pushed around and hates contact in the lane. She has to work like mad to bulk up, 20 pounds minimum, especially is she wants to go to the WNBA. Players there are even bigger than college. Has anyone got that picture, or another one of Liv standing next to another player? Is she really as skinny as it looked. Maybe it would help with her jumping ability too. Do 500 jumps a day, as high as you can, till you drop from exhaustion. Jumping center she seems to get beat by some 6 foot 2 players. Of course sometimes that is because the ref throws the ball up about 6 inches away from straight up. At least it looks like that on TV.

Reaction Score
must have been a weird picture of Liv. USA basketball says she is only 5 pounds lighter than Boston. Hard to believe.

Reaction Score
must have been a weird picture of Liv. USA basketball says she is only 5 pounds lighter than Boston. Hard to believe.
She may have been holding a 'Wilson' ball! After all, they might be heavier. :rolleyes:

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Not FROM each player but FOR each player— Rings!! With National Champion engraved.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom