What Could Happen to P5 Conferences after Coronavirus Cases Settle | The Boneyard

What Could Happen to P5 Conferences after Coronavirus Cases Settle

Reaction Score
Could ACC or B10 conferences look to expand after coronavirus outbreak impacts the bottom line. Could it be a time for more expansion given the economic conditions? Does a school like UConn have a shot?

Reaction Score
I doubt it...going above 14 is unwieldly.....and who is attractive enough money wise to bring enough new money so as to keep payouts the same?

In the B1G, a team would need to generate around $50 million to keep payouts the same.

The cablebox-add days of picking up a Rutgers may be over...

I think that you will see a hunkering down until the impact of rapidly changing viewing technology settles in and money judgements can be made.

Reaction Score
I think the bigger issue is if the networks can continue this economically going forward a lot longer. You're likely to see financial issues as well as higher tax rates to pay for all of this. Belt tightening is almost unavoidable. You couple that with streaming and the already precarious situation with networks losing paying subscribers and the future of big tv contracts is not alive and well. Hence, closer regional competition may be closer than expected. Time will tell. I for one think Nyc has some long term issues ahead of it. They already had a lot of flee due to taxes in Nyc/Ny state, this will only hurt it more. All the hedge guys already have/are fleeing to Ct and Fla. Corp. may as well. Living in a big dish of a city is going to get less attractive for a lot of reasons other than money.

Reaction Score
I think the P5 pool will be culled, this time not from realignment; but from the pandemic, especially if fall football is wiped-out. Too many programs that are borderline profitable spent millions on coaches salaries and facilities and face all of those bills with no gate revenue and reduced TV revenue coming in for most of 2020. They wo't be able to as for help from their host univesity as they own millions themselves in refuned room & board fees (I saw a blurb that Rutgers has projected a $150 Million budget deficit for the 2019/2020 academic year, which does not include atheltic numbers). They won't be getting any help from their State government either as nearly every State will be in the red due to loss of revenue and the cost of dealing with the pandemic itself along with expanded social service support. It could get really ugly for a lot of schools.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I'll just throw this here.

Reaction Score
I think the P5 pool will be culled, this time not from realignment; but from the pandemic, especially if fall football is wiped-out. Too many programs that are borderline profitable spent millions on coaches salaries and facilities and face all of those bills with no gate revenue and reduced TV revenue coming in for most of 2020. They wo't be able to as for help from their host univesity as they own millions themselves in refuned room & board fees (I saw a blurb that Rutgers has projected a $150 Million budget deficit for the 2019/2020 academic year, which does not include atheltic numbers). They won't be getting any help from their State government either as nearly every State will be in the red due to loss of revenue and the cost of dealing with the pandemic itself along with expanded social service support. It could get really ugly for a lot of schools.

Good luck drawing folks to a Rutgers fball game this fall. Assuming the schedule goes of as usual.

Reaction Score
Could ACC or B10 conferences look to expand after coronavirus outbreak impacts the bottom line. Could it be a time for more expansion given the economic conditions? Does a school like UConn have a shot?
I believe that it will be a long time before the economy recovers. As as been said, the stock market drops like an elevator, but rises like an escalator. It is possible that many P5 schools will not be able to maintain their own status if this pandemic is as bad as some say and persists. Sadly, it appears that UConn will not be joining either of those conferences. UConn did have a real opportunity, but unfortunately for reasons that have been discussed many times, the opportunity was lost. UConn has decided to join the Big East, which has no P5 members. That was a signal that the P5 dream is over. Football will be independent, until a decision will be made whether to even keep the program afloat. So sadly, to answer your question, the answer is that you have more of a chance to win the Powerball than UConn has to go to either of those conferences.

Reaction Score
I believe that it will be a long time before the economy recovers. As as been said, the stock market drops like an elevator, but rises like an escalator. It is possible that many P5 schools will not be able to maintain their own status if this pandemic is as bad as some say and persists. Sadly, it appears that UConn will not be joining either of those conferences. UConn did have a real opportunity, but unfortunately for reasons that have been discussed many times, the opportunity was lost. UConn has decided to join the Big East, which has no P5 members. That was a signal that the P5 dream is over. Football will be independent, until a decision will be made whether to even keep the program afloat. So sadly, to answer your question, the answer is that you have more of a chance to win the Powerball than UConn has to go to either of those conferences.
Actually UConn would look more desirable than schools with smaller fanbases, like Wake, etc.

Reaction Score
There is something to be said for tradition in conferences...

...60 years ago, in 1960, Wake played FSU, UNC, VT, NC St., Duke, and Clemson.

The traditional rivalry is valued enough that UNC and Wake scheduled each other as OOC opponents in 2019 and 2021. Rather than play a non ACC opponent in a home and home, they have scheduled each other outside the ACC rotation.

As UConn fans like playing in the northeast, I think that there remains a regional flavor to the ACC (and to hell with BC and Cuse). The whole is equal to more than the sum of its parts.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think that David Benedict stated it well....

“Student athlete welfare is talked about a lot. There are a lot of universities out there that are being asked to travel all over the country to compete. It’s very demanding when you add it with practice and the academic side of things, its difficult to manage. So rejoining a conference that is much more regionally appropriate is really great for our student athletes. We didn’t have many bus trips in the American. We’re going to have a lot more bus trips now. I’m excited from that standpoint, it will be better for our student athletes’ welfare. Plus, a lot of them come from the New England and northeast regions. They grew up watching these rivalries. There’s a lot of talk within our student athlete body of being excited to go back and play those teams again.”

https://the-boneyard.com/javascript:void(0)

Reaction Score
Actually UConn would look more desirable than schools with smaller fanbases, like Wake, etc.
Wake averages around 28K per home football game, UConn lucky to average 20K. They seem to do well in their sporting events compared to UConn. I wouldn't pick on Wake, they were a friend. They finished 8-5 in ACC, UConn was what again in the AAC? No stones from people in glass houses right?

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Wake averages around 28K per home football game, UConn lucky to average 20K. They seem to do well in their sporting events compared to UConn. I wouldn't pick on Wake, they were a friend. They finished 8-5 in ACC, UConn was what again in the AAC? No stones from people in glass houses right?
They are very small school, less than 5k students, right? Fourth brand in their state- and private. When the top 20 schools breakaway Wake won’t be one of them.... not that you would disagree with that statement.

Reaction Score
They are very small school, less than 5k students, right? Fourth brand in their state- and private. When the top 20 schools breakaway Wake won’t be one of them.... not that you would disagree with that statement.
They have a little over 5K. I agree with you that if the P5 became P4, they would not be one of them. My issue is why bash them? They are where they are. They were not asked to leave when the mighty ACC expanded. Size doesn't matter.

Reaction Score
You know, the SEC could have dumped Vanderbilt, and the ACC, Wake....but tradition is still valued.

And...four votes are already tallied for Wake..(and Virginia,VT always tag along with Tobacco Road).

"Wake Forest is referred to as being a part of "Tobacco Road" or the Big Four,[150] terms that refer to the four North Carolina schools that compete heatedly against each other within the ACC. Wake Forest swept the series with its Tobacco Road rivals in 1924, 1951, 1970, 1984, 1987, 2006, 2007, and 2019."

Since Wake has been in a different division than UNC and Duke...the chances to play them and NC State in the same year are rare.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I wasn't picking on Wake. I was giving an example of a lower end AD, with the business model the P5 use. Holy cow. I'll use Washington State next time for you, OK?

Reaction Score
If some members of the ACC, such as Clemson and Miami, depart for some super conference, does that make space available for UConn in the ACC? Could coronavirus-related financial pressure lead to these kind of events?

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
They have a little over 5K. I agree with you that if the P5 became P4, they would not be one of them. My issue is why bash them? They are where they are. They were not asked to leave when the mighty ACC expanded. Size doesn't matter.
We bash because this is a UConn board and we are bitter...rightfully so.

Reaction Score
I sincerely hope that conferences mirror what has worked for the SEC...and to some extent, the Big Ten....stay geographically relevant.

The experiment the ACC has had with the expansion northeast with BC and Cuse hasn't been a rousing success....Boston College has been in two ACC Championship games (2007 & 8), and sold a combined 5,000 tickets.

Notre Dame probably wants to play Frodo, but BC isn't of much interest anywhere else. Rutgers, in the B1G, is much the same.

That lack of regionality has always been the problem with CUSA and other stitched together Frankenstein conferences,

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If some members of the ACC, such as Clemson and Miami, depart for some super conference, does that make space available for UConn in the ACC? Could coronavirus-related financial pressure lead to these kind of events?

Probably not. If the most economically important teams leave a conference, you will most likely see that conference contract.

Reaction Score
We bash because this is a UConn board and we are bitter...rightfully so.
We are bitter, no one more than I, but I prefer to take it out on the villains, like BC, Cuse, FSU etc. Wake is an innocent bystander. They were not against UConn.

Reaction Score
The ACC front office just told the Presidents how it was....that football made up the lion's share of the media value and that shuffled UConn back some.

Once Swofford layed out Dean Jordan's advice (he was the hired ACC media consultant and had worked with the Big Ten and 12 on their media deals), there was no lobbying...

“The world is a much different place now in that regard,” Swofford said. “For decades, as a conference, we made more headlines in basketball and more money in basketball, and there was nothing inherently wrong with that. Obviously, basketball remains a huge part of our success and identity today.

“But for various reasons, that picture has changed significantly. We’ve been through realignment and expansion multiple times, with football a major factor in that."

Reaction Score
The ACC front office just told the Presidents how it was....that football made up the lion's share of the media value and that shuffled UConn back some.

Once Swofford layed out Dean Jordan's advice (he was the hired ACC media consultant and had worked with the Big Ten and 12 on their media deals), there was no lobbying...

“The world is a much different place now in that regard,” Swofford said. “For decades, as a conference, we made more headlines in basketball and more money in basketball, and there was nothing inherently wrong with that. Obviously, basketball remains a huge part of our success and identity today.

“But for various reasons, that picture has changed significantly. We’ve been through realignment and expansion multiple times, with football a major factor in that."
I personally will never forget BC crowing about the "academic prestige" of the ACC. The ACC front office was bullied into submission by you guys.

Reaction Score
Nah...I do think that UConn, Coach K, and the general blog media were unaware of how much football impacted the ESPN contract. Even Swofford said he was taken by surprise.

If you are thinking ACC basketball you are thinking "UConn would be a great get".

But when Dean Jordan, Managing partner of the Wasserman Media Group, started working with ESPN on behalf of the ACC...the ACC office quickly realized that the future of the conference revolved around football.

And, yes, some football schools had been saying that. Jordan was no amateur and the Presidents listened...FSU was actually recalcitrant about signing up for a long term deal...Jordan and Swofford flew in and met individually with each Trustee to convince them

Dean Jordan led Wasserman’s successful media rights representation of the College Football Playoff, the University of Notre Dame, the Atlantic Coast Conference, Big 12. He also directed Wasserman’s efforts with both media and non-media related engagements for clients such as the United States Golf Association, NASCAR, Major League Soccer, United States Tennis Association, United States Olympic Committee.

When Jordan and ESPN talked...all had to listen. DeFillipo was very close to the truth when he said...."ESPN told us what to do."

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Nah...I do think that UConn, Coach K, and the general blog media were unaware of how much football impacted the ESPN contract. Even Swofford said he was taken by surprise.

If you are thinking ACC basketball you are thinking "UConn would be a great get".

But when Dean Jordan, Managing partner of the Wasserman Media Group, started working with ESPN on behalf of the ACC...the ACC office quickly realized that the future of the conference revolved around football.

And, yes, some football schools had been saying that. Jordan was no amateur and the Presidents listened...FSU was actually recalcitrant about signing up for a long term deal...Jordan and Swofford flew in and met individually with each Trustee to convince them

Dean Jordan led Wasserman’s successful media rights representation of the College Football Playoff, the University of Notre Dame, the Atlantic Coast Conference, Big 12. He also directed Wasserman’s efforts with both media and non-media related engagements for clients such as the United States Golf Association, NASCAR, Major League Soccer, United States Tennis Association, United States Olympic Committee.

When Jordan and ESPN talked...all had to listen. DeFillipo was very close to the truth when he said...."ESPN told us what to do."
I still hate BC, FSU, Cuse, and ESPN. All the rational discussion in the world won't change that.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom