What comes next for UConn athletics/football now that the football season is canceled? | The Boneyard

What comes next for UConn athletics/football now that the football season is canceled?

Reaction Score
For me what comes next is enjoying having power back on! ;) I hope that comes soon for everyone.
As for football I got the call from the school rep with the options for those that have already bought tickets. That will come in an email with a return form next week. In conversation he answered all my questions.
No need to list options as they are already in a few threads. He did though when I asked if it was about the scheduling or the governors quarantine between games say no, it was more about the players not being comfortable.
Buildings with no access, having to eat lunch in their cars between practices etc. Said it was very much a team decision.
As for myself, obviously very disappointed. Have a long time friend that got hooked last year and opted in to join the crew for the season. Good news he is still all in and this is the first time I have committed to season tickets for the next season in advance.

Reaction Score

>>At the FBS level, players are expected to remain on campus if classes are on campus. While comments from several players and coaches over the weekend spread the idea that postponing the season would send players back home, that’s not the case. After canceling its season, UConn went through its normal workouts last week and plans to continue doing so with work in the fall. Recent FBS teams whose seasons were postponed have said they plan to do the same (though one team, Fresno State, never returned to campus in the first place due to being in a COVID-19 hotspot). Wisconsin athletic director Barry Alvarez said he expects the Badgers to continue their 20-hour workout weeks.

“Who’s sending them home?” UConn coach Randy Edsall said. “I think everybody’s going to do the same thing. If you’re not playing, they’re just gonna keep their players in a routine that you’re normally in. It’s just that you’re not going to be competing on Saturdays.”

But that’s led some to ask: If they can work out and be on campus, why can’t they play games? Edsall noted UConn had yet to be allowed in its locker room, and some MAC schools hadn’t been in their weight rooms due to local ordinances. UCLA coach Chip Kelly said Monday was the first day Bruins coaches were allowed back in their football building. Many schools just weren’t in a position to play games anytime soon, but they believe workouts and testing protocols continue to keep players safe and the structure benefits everyone.

“I’m glad that we made the decision when we made it,” Edsall said. “I know our players are glad that we made the decision when we did. We have clarity. We know what we’re doing, we can put together a schedule moving forward, and we’ll follow that until somebody tells us we can’t follow that.”<<

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
No way northern schools will be playing ball when its all said and done. Maybe the crazy southern schools get around to bending their state/local health rules to work for football. Kind of all nutz.

Spring football seems impossible too, although its sure to be discussed heavily. Best case for spring would be permission for a handful of exhibition games.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
No way northern schools will be playing ball when its all said and done. Maybe the crazy southern schools get around to bending their state/local health rules to work for football. Kind of all nutz.

Spring football seems impossible too, although its sure to be discussed heavily. Best case for spring would be permission for a handful of exhibition games.
I'm guessing an over reliance, at least publicly, on the effectiveness of a vaccine will lead to an abbreviated Spring season. Heck, I'm counting on it for the basketball season.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I'm guessing an over reliance, at least publicly, on the effectiveness of a vaccine will lead to an abbreviated Spring season. Heck, I'm counting on it for the basketball season.
I’m not optimistic - gonna have the near same arguments then.

Reaction Score

>>The NCAA Football Oversight Committee approved a recommendation Tuesday to grant those impacted teams 12 hours a week of football work with their players this fall, five of which can be spent on the field in contactless drills and seven of which can be spent in strength and conditioning work and meetings. This somewhat unprecedented hybrid model is a middle ground between the typical 20-hour-a-week in-season standard and the eight-hour-a-week offseason model. The proposal is expected to be approved by the D-I Council on Wednesday.<<

Reaction Score
Have to admire the effort of these kids. Practicing with a mask on must be awful.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom