What becomes of Freitas Ice Forum with Toscano opening next month? | The Boneyard

What becomes of Freitas Ice Forum with Toscano opening next month?

Reaction Score
Does the university continue to utilize Freitas as a secondary rink or is it converted into another athletic facility? The cost of operating two rinks might be financially unfeasible. Conversion of Freitas into an indoor tennis or golf complex might be more cost effective and provide the athletic district with another impressive facility.

Reaction Score
Does the university continue to utilize Freitas as a secondary rink or is it converted into another athletic facility? The cost of operating two rinks might be financially unfeasible. Conversion of Freitas into an indoor tennis or golf complex might be more cost effective and provide the athletic district with another impressive facility.

Heard UConn Volleyball is moving in… ice system is beyond life.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It’s been 22 years. Is the useful life of an ice rink only 20 years? Seems like many go longer than that.

Reaction Score
It’s been 22 years. Is the useful life of an ice rink only 20 years? Seems like many go longer than that.
… you can replace the ice making/refrigeration system for better performance (as they have done @ XL) but it’s not cheap.

CL82

Reaction Score
… you can replace the ice making/refrigeration system for better performance (as they have done @ XL) but it’s not cheap.
I wouldn’t think it would be, but I am thinking forward to the useful life for Toscano. I would like to think, with suitable upgrades, it’ll be our home for more than 20 years.

I took a quick look online and couldn’t find anything, but I would guess most people upgrade the cooling system and leave the existing pipes in place. So maybe you’re looking 40 to 45 years before a major renovation? I have no idea, I’m just thinking out loud.

CL82

Reaction Score
Really? Wonder if this would setup for Gampel renovations
Post/handle

I would think the concourse project would be the next one up but that’s just speculation.

Reaction Score
Post/handle

I would think the concourse project would be the next one up but that’s just speculation.
Same. But I wonder if they don’t use it for volleyball anymore or any basketball practices can they can get rid of the retractable seats. That could possibly allow them to up the capacity.

Reaction Score
That's pretty cool and maybe a launch point for the program to become competitive with some minor renovations to the venue. Perfect size arena for the program.

CL82

Reaction Score
I’m not aware of any college program that has a dedicated volleyball arena. It almost seems like “too much facility”, but then again, I really don’t follow the sport at all. I agree with. @Storrs South that it would seem to give our program a recruiting advantage if we did.

Reaction Score
I’m not aware of any college program that has a dedicated volleyball arena. It almost seems like “too much facility”, but then again, I really don’t follow the sport at all. I agree with. @Storrs South that it would seem to give our program a recruiting advantage if we did.

There are quite a few that are primarily volleyball: The 10 best places to watch NCAA volleyball, according to the fans

(I looked a bit back when I heard the volleyball reconfiguration rumors)

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Even if the ice making is a mess, so long as the shell of the building is structurally sound and the HVAC and electricity is fine, the athletic dept should be able to repurpose it.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Maybe let the ice melt and use the water for a practice facility for the rowing team.

Reaction Score
It won’t be an ice rink and volleyball makes some sense as all of the other programs either have facilities already or have new ones built or renovated. This includes the ones coming in the future like the renovation of the field house for track and field etc.

Attachments

• B0C0C795-08A1-4B94-8D00-C81A264A25B0.jpeg
    B0C0C795-08A1-4B94-8D00-C81A264A25B0.jpeg
    146.4 KB · Views: 156
Reaction Score
could it be used as a recreational ice rink for UConn community and greater region

Reaction Score
I had heard Benedict specifically say they will keep two sheets. Also I don’t know anything about ice making equipment and life but I have skated on Freitas recently and it was an awesome sheet. I have played at many rinks and it was among the best playing surfaces I have played on. Of course I am no expert.

Reaction Score
I posted this here because I was looking for images of the new hockey forum. curious. Do the soccer teams have an indoor practice facility? If not for volleyball, Freitas would work. Do they get to use Shenkman? Here's a nice image of the athletics facilities layout with the new Toscano Forum in the background. Still plenty of room for a 40k stadium. We used to play soccer on Sunday mornings in the baseball outfield.

uconn.jpg

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom