What are you binge watching? | Page 45 | The Boneyard

What are you binge watching?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Low Country. HBO Max. This is the Murdaugh family story in Cinemax style instead of the Netflix documentary. I didn't see the Netflix version, but they tend to take a different approach. The story here is interesting, involving several pretty unpleasant people. Particularly interesting to me as I've spent a fair amount of time in the Low Country. I think it's also a fascinating look at how a family can create an embedded power structure of corruption that acts as a shield and a sword. Reminds me of the days when the mafia ran things, reminds me of Whitey Bulger in South Boston, and I imagine this is like AA ball compared to the major leagues of the Mexican cartels. Binged three episodes, pretty well done. Slightly repetitive, but not as much as Netflix usually is.

Reaction Score
Waco- Netflix 3 episode mini series. Was hoping for a bit more, felt rushed at times and no real deep analysis. First episode is a quick background on Koresh and some of the Davidians and then quickly goes to the initial breach at the compound. 2nd episode revolves around the children in the compound and tactics the ATF and FBI use to get the cult to surrender. Last episode is about the use of tear gas and subsequent fire that breaks out and the aftermath. Again feels very rushed.

Reaction Score
We just finished Your Honor season 2, whoa that was a pile of.............................................................. Well I've seen worse, but lord the writing on this show makes my head hurt.

Reaction Score
I finished The Man in the High Castle. Kind of ended with a whimper. As a history buff, it was the Germany-Japan winning WWII storyline that intrigued me, but that's only a sub plot. I didn't expect the plot turn that the series took, and I didn't particularly like it.

Reaction Score
Finished up Daisy Jones and The Six. I really enjoyed it and thought the end was really well done. A couple twists in the last 15 minutes. And I really liked how they took you through the band's last day/concert, even though you knew it was their last concert together it was interesting to watch play out. Well worth the watch.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Wednesday on Netflix. The title Wednesday is for Wednesday Addams of the Addams family. I love this series and my husband is enjoying it too. Now a high school teenager, Wednesday unsurprisingly doesn’t fit into her “normie“ school so parents Gomez and Morticia (Catherine Zeta Jones) enroll her in their alma mater, Nevermore, a place for outcasts. Something creepy and scary lives in the woods, of course, and that’s key to the story.

I can’t figure out if Wednesday is copying or paying homage to other horror shows, although this one is a comedy-horror, but we spotted some Stranger Things similarities as well as Carrie and others. The lead stays in character really well. I highly recommend

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Liaison. Apple TV. As with everything on Apple TV, production quality is high. Set in London and France. Stars Vincent Cassel as Gabriel and Eva Green as Alison. This is a political/cybercrime thriller, with some twists and tangles as Gabriel and Alison are both engaged in a large complex problem/mission but have a prior relationship that ends up impacting their efforts. Are they on the same side? The story can be complex and tricky to follow, but I think it's really well done.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Shrinking (Apple TV) - I am 6 episodes in. This is a solid comedy with Jason Segal and Harrison Ford. Nothing earth shaking or particularly original, but an interesting premise and cast, and thoughtful enough to be interesting without feeling like homework. Harrison Ford is perfect for his character. I don't think Jason Segal is a particularly good actor, but he can pull off the character and has enough charisma to lead the show. Something is a little off about Jessica Williams' character Gaby, but I think they can clean it up next season. The character is a little too cool and badass for a shrink, and they need to dial it back, just a little. Lukita Maxwell plays Segal's character's daughter, and she is fantastic. She doesn't have the contrived quirkiness of so many actresses of her generation (see Hannah Einbinder of Hacks, whose ticks and sighs are very distracting). Maxwell plays a tough role straight on, and crushes it.

A surprisingly big name collection of supporting actors, including Heidi Gardner, Wendie Malick and Ted McGinley, do a great job.

Reaction Score
Lucky Hank - Not binge watching because only 2 episodes have aired but what say you. I figured with Bob Odenkirk it should be good. The characters have been very good so far, lots of humor. Not sure if the storyline is all that entertaining though long term but I would expect it to pick up the pace. I looked up one of the main characters and it turns out Suzanne Cryer graduated from Greenwhich High School probably around 1984 or so.

It's Saul Goodman

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Some of you might try on HBO: CB STRIKE. I really liked it. 5 ? seasons.

I've read all the books. Started the 1st season but haven't gotten very far.

Poker Face is the best new show I've watched recently.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Shrinking (Apple TV) - I am 6 episodes in. This is a solid comedy with Jason Segal and Harrison Ford. Nothing earth shaking or particularly original, but an interesting premise and cast, and thoughtful enough to be interesting without feeling like homework. Harrison Ford is perfect for his character. I don't think Jason Segal is a particularly good actor, but he can pull off the character and has enough charisma to lead the show. Something is a little off about Jessica Williams' character Gaby, but I think they can clean it up next season. The character is a little too cool and badass for a shrink, and they need to dial it back, just a little. Lukita Maxwell plays Segal's character's daughter, and she is fantastic. She doesn't have the contrived quirkiness of so many actresses of her generation (see Hannah Einbinder of Hacks, whose ticks and sighs are very distracting). Maxwell plays a tough role straight on, and crushes it.

A surprisingly big name collection of supporting actors, including Heidi Gardner, Wendie Malick and Ted McGinley, do a great job.

Good writeup. Worth watching.

I do love Hacks, though. And the character's neuroses drive much of the plot.

Reaction Score
I just finished 'The Last of Us'. Had some good moments, but also a few uneven episodes. I thought the third episode focusing on the two guys in the MA back woods was awesome and very well done; the KC episode and escape from KC episode were total bangers. Could have done without the 'two girls in the mall' episode as I did not think it moved the story along one bit.

IMO they need to focus a lot more on the action side of things....I don't think folks are tuning in for the narrative.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I've been enjoying the reboot of Party Down on Starz. The reboot picks up ten years after the original and brings back all the cast from the original. The original show only ran for two seasons, but was consistently clever and funny. Was definitely a show that had been canceled too early and I'm psyched to see it being given another chance.

Actually started a thread on this because I was pleasantly shocked to see them beat the reboot curse. It's really funny and just as good as the first 2 seasons.

Speaking of which, Reboot on Hulu was pretty good -- and then Hulu canceled it after the first season.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Lucky Hank - Not binge watching because only 2 episodes have aired but what say you. I figured with Bob Odenkirk it should be good. The characters have been very good so far, lots of humor. Not sure if the storyline is all that entertaining though long term but I would expect it to pick up the pace. I looked up one of the main characters and it turns out Suzanne Cryer graduated from Greenwhich High School probably around 1984 or so.

It's Saul Goodman

I didn't realized this was based on the Richard Russo book Straight Man. It isn't one of Russo's best books, but even a second tier Richard Russo book is a pretty good book. The book's plot doesn't matter that much, so I expect the show to be similar.

Odenkirk is perfect for the role.

Reaction Score
I didn't realized this was based on the Richard Russo book Straight Man. It isn't one of Russo's best books, but even a second tier Richard Russo book is a pretty good book. The book's plot doesn't matter that much, so I expect the show to be similar.

Odenkirk is perfect for the role.

Richard Russo, when I'm not down some sci-fi rabbit hole (Neal Stephenson, etc), is my jam.

The way he write about life in towns where in yesteryear they flourished. It's just brilliant.

Reaction Score
Richard Russo, when I'm not down some sci-fi rabbit hole (Neal Stephenson, etc), is my jam.

The way he write about life in towns where in yesteryear they flourished. It's just brilliant.
He's the best, I need to start his Straight Man tv series.

Reaction Score
Well I’ve finished Taboo on Paramount +. Solid entertainment but not awesome.

Went through my “magic” fix with Shadow & Bone on Netflix, and with The Sandman on Netflix. Both very good with Sandman being by far better.

About to switch gears with Line of Duty. Anyone have any comments on this one? As background I thought Foyles War was superb.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Waco- Netflix 3 episode mini series. Was hoping for a bit more, felt rushed at times and no real deep analysis. First episode is a quick background on Koresh and some of the Davidians and then quickly goes to the initial breach at the compound. 2nd episode revolves around the children in the compound and tactics the ATF and FBI use to get the cult to surrender. Last episode is about the use of tear gas and subsequent fire that breaks out and the aftermath. Again feels very rushed.
Left out that FBI shot first, killed all the dogs on compound. They admitted they "might" have shot one, but actually they killed several. Once the FBI opened fire, the BD shot back. In the third episode, they left out that the FBI used military grade tear gas, highly flammable. It had been banned from civilian use, but they used it anyway. Some interesting interviews, though.

Reaction Score
Left out that FBI shot first, killed all the dogs on compound. They admitted they "might" have shot one, but actually they killed several. Once the FBI opened fire, the BD shot back. In the third episode, they left out that the FBI used military grade tear gas, highly flammable. It had been banned from civilian use, but they used it anyway. Some interesting interviews, though.

Yeah I felt it was more pro government than previous stuff I've watched

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Watching The Selection. 30 civilians are put through elements of special forces training. The guys who are running the course are skilled at breaking you down physically and mentally. It’s really compelling TV. I watched a celebrity version of this that was so water down by comparison and, I expect this is water down compared to actual special forces selection courses. It’s good stuff.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Good writeup. Worth watching.

I do love Hacks, though. And the character's neuroses drive much of the plot.

Hacks is a great premise and Smart does a good job in the lead. I think Einbender sucks. Among my other issues with her is she always looks like she is laughing at her own jokes.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom