What are you binge watching? | Page 44 | The Boneyard

What are you binge watching?

Reaction Score
Stephen Merchant is pretty well known. He is the co-creator/writer/director of the show. He also was co-writer/director on The Office with Ricky Gervais.

I agree, it's a great show. Lot of fun.
Stephen Merchant was great in the show "Hello Ladies" which only lasted one season on HBO.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Dang. "Extraordinary" went downhill after a good start. Only a few episodes left so I'll finish, but fairly disappointed with how the season has progressed. They made the main character less and less likable with each passing episode. Some of the side characters aren't interesting enough to deserve any screen time (I'm looking at you schlubby slacker boyfriend of the best friend/roommate). The best friend is totally stealing the show. How many times have I seen that happen? Countless.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I am two episodes into the Gilded Age. It is not bad, but I feel like it could have been better, at least through two episodes. The show is based on a fascinating period of history. George Russell in the show is based on Jay Gould, who was absolutely bonkers in the scams he would pull off and the risks he took.

Look up the Erie War. I hope they do it in the show.

I get that I am not the target audience of this show. It is definitely targeting middle-aged and older women who are jonesing for their Downton Abbey fix. I think Downton Abbey is so soapy and contrived that it is unwatchable, so Gilded Age is a significant upgrade, but it is also pretty soapy. Everyone being terrified of Christine Baranski's character, who is basically a shut in, is fantasy pron for middle-aged women. Also, Carrie Coon's character's ability to completely control her daughter's life is something many middle-aged women would love to do. It is not quite fan service, but there is definitely a fair amount of chumming the waters for the target audience that goes on in this show.

That said, it was an interesting time in American and human history, and I think the show does a pretty good job of portraying a rapidly changing society. The original American aristocracy, as portrayed by Baranski and her group, did not have a lot of time in the sun before the merchant class swamped them. The European aristocracy had over a 1,000 year run. The American landed gentry got maybe 200 years, and most families got quite a bit less than that.

The scene where Edison lights up the building in New York (which happened in real life) is a really stark illustration of the new and the old New York society, and how quickly the old were fading to irrelevance.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Dang. "Extraordinary" went downhill after a good start. Only a few episodes left so I'll finish, but fairly disappointed with how the season has progressed. They made the main character less and less likable with each passing episode. Some of the side characters aren't interesting enough to deserve any screen time (I'm looking at you schlubby slacker boyfriend of the best friend/roommate). The best friend is totally stealing the show. How many times have I seen that happen? Countless.
I am a couple of episodes in it. The concept had promise but the implementation has been just so so. I was hoping it would find its footing but apparently that’s not going to happen.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Started watching "The Consultant" (Prime) last night. Couple of episodes in. I've enjoyed Christoph Waltz in most things he's done, and he's at his creepiest in this series. Far as I can tell, the plot is based on Waltz being a business consultant who ensures the legacy of entrepreneurs after they die - and his customers all die pretty quickly after his work contract is signed. This show involves him taking over a gaming company. It's an interesting concept and the first episode is one of the wilder starts to any series I've seen. The lead female is solid, but the 2nd lead male is erractic - sometimes seemingly used simply for comic relief, sometimes ingenuous, and other times (as when he's in the Hummer), brilliantly played. Don't know what to think yet other than it's a showpiece for Waltz's talents and a plot line I find original, but it's eight episodes I think I'll see through.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I am a couple of episodes in it. The concept had promise but the implementation has been just so so. I was hoping it would find its footing but apparently that’s not going to happen.
The finale picked back up again after a lull during the middle of the season. One big event that happened, really did not need to take the whole season to get there.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Picked up Season 2 of Carnival Row on Prime. Stars Orlando Bloom and Cara Delavigne (who looks absolutely stunning this season) in a sort of SteamPunk Industrial revolution era version of London that is instead a fictional place called the Burgue. Fae are real (Delavigne is one) and they take different forms, winged Pixies, Fauns, and more. Humans treat the fae badly, use them as servants and cheap labor. There are obvious connotations there. There's a lot of political intrigue, some romance, rebellion, and ultimately it's actually a bit complicated. I like the show, but it may actually move a bit too fast, making it harder to remember who is who and what their scheme is or might be. Still, it's different and entertaining.

Reaction Score
Started watching "The Consultant" (Prime) last night. Couple of episodes in. I've enjoyed Christoph Waltz in most things he's done, and he's at his creepiest in this series. Far as I can tell, the plot is based on Waltz being a business consultant who ensures the legacy of entrepreneurs after they die - and his customers all die pretty quickly after his work contract is signed. This show involves him taking over a gaming company. It's an interesting concept and the first episode is one of the wilder starts to any series I've seen. The lead female is solid, but the 2nd lead male is erractic - sometimes seemingly used simply for comic relief, sometimes ingenuous, and other times (as when he's in the Hummer), brilliantly played. Don't know what to think yet other than it's a showpiece for Waltz's talents and a plot line I find original, but it's eight episodes I think I'll see through.
First few episodes are really interesting but it fizzles out and is a dumb mess by the end. Waltz is always fascinating to watch though.

CL82

Reaction Score
The finale picked back up again after a lull during the middle of the season. One big event that happened, really did not need to take the whole season to get there.
Thanks for the heads up. Maybe I’ll circle back to it.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
"Daisy Jones and The Six" is a new series on Amazon Prime. First 3 episodes are up, new ep. will be released each Thursday. Just watched the pilot, I'm all in. About the rise and fall of a fictitious rock band in the 70s. Stars Riley Keough and Sam Claflin, with Suki Waterhouse and a nearly unrecognizable Timothy Olyphant.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Okay, watched 3 episodes now. The Six were a band fronted by Claflin who were about to take off, then he had to go to rehab and it looked like they were done. Their producer had been trying to work with Daisy, and on a lark he decided to bring her in to work with the band. That's where it's at now, but obviously they're going to take off again and hit it big. Pretty good so far.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Finished up Lockwood & Co. A bit of a chore at the end. The first episode was the best. Did a good job of introducing you to the characters, setting the stage, and diving right into the action. I didn't end up enjoying where the story went as much as I thought I might based on how it started. Oh well. I didn't realize until I did some reading about it that it's an adaptation of a YA book series. Last episode left the door wide open for another season.
Finished it up last night. I thought it was pretty good for a show clearly aimed at a YA audience. The actors are all pretty solid and the story lines stayed interesting and avoided straying into silly teenage romance spats. Good character development. The premise is quite interesting and unusual. Definitely expect a season 2 unless it bombed.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Finished Wednesday. It was quite good honestly. As @nwhoopfan noted, Ortega cribbed from both the original Wednesday dances and Siouxsie Sioux, Fosse and others from the 80s. Talked to my 19 year old daughter and she said the 80s and New Wave we coming back anyway among her age group, but this put it over the top. I remember New Wave Night at Huskies.

Ortega is trashing the writers in interviews and wants more control of the show in Season 2. That has disaster written all over it.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Ortega is trashing the writers in interviews and wants more control of the show in Season 2. That has disaster written all over it.
Maybe. Maybe not. The girl can down hot wings and seems to have a flair for scary stuff.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Maybe. Maybe not. The girl can down hot wings and seems to have a flair for scary stuff.

Maybe she is that 1 in 20 actor that can write too. I kinda doubt it. I think she is another in a long line of prima donnas that thinks her ability to say things that are written on a piece of paper in a way that is interesting makes her a creative genius that is smarter than people that have made a career out of writing and producing.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Shaun the Sheep. I started a long time ago, set it aside, then just came back to it. It's silly, but I find myself chuckling at it frequently. Stop motion animation from Aardman, the creators of Wallace & Grommit. Each episode has 2 or 3 mini episodes. Something to fill in a bit of time and provide some entertainment.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Yeah, I thought so too. I just took a look online and they’re calling it the “midseason finale“ whatever that means.
Just FYI Alaska Daily is back now. 2 new episodes have aired this month. The first was a bit of a side track, but the most recent was back to the main plot line.

CL82

Reaction Score
Just FYI Alaska Daily is back now. 2 new episodes have aired this month. The first was a bit of a side track, but the most recent was back to the main plot line.
Yeah, I watched the first one and was stunned how they can make a hostage crisis boring. Everyone was delivering their lines in a flat monotone. It was a weird choice. I was always on the fence a bit about it, but I think I’m out now..

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Shaun the Sheep. I started a long time ago, set it aside, then just came back to it. It's silly, but I find myself chuckling at it frequently. Stop motion animation from Aardman, the creators of Wallace & Grommit. Each episode has 2 or 3 mini episodes. Something to fill in a bit of time and provide some entertainment.
Thank god for Shaun the Sheep. Gave me an alternative I enjoyed when the little ones wanted to watch Bubble Guppies.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Thank god for Shaun the Sheep. Gave me an alternative I enjoyed when the little ones wanted to watch Bubble Guppies.
That reminds me of Chicken Run, which was absolutely brilliant

Reaction Score
I've been enjoying the reboot of Party Down on Starz. The reboot picks up ten years after the original and brings back all the cast from the original. The original show only ran for two seasons, but was consistently clever and funny. Was definitely a show that had been canceled too early and I'm psyched to see it being given another chance.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
"Class of '07" is new on Amazon Prime. All episodes available to stream. I watched 2, enjoyable so far. It's the reunion at an all girls Catholic school when unfortunately the whole earth apparently is flooded, except for their little hill top that is now an island. They have to try to get along with each other, while also figuring out how to deal with an apocalypse. Of the cast I'd only seen Emily Browning and Caitlin Stasey before, but several other good performances. How have I never heard of Megan Smart? Oh, set in Australia and most if not all of the cast are Australians.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
"Class of '07" is new on Amazon Prime. All episodes available to stream. I watched 2,
I haven't truly binged anything in a long time. I plowed thru this all in one go. Only 8 episodes, around 30 minutes each. It's hard to describe. Sometimes straight forward comedy, sometimes parody, sometimes absurd, it got serious at times, even approached being on the verge of horror. Continued to be good performances throughout.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom