What are you binge watching? | Page 43 | The Boneyard

What are you binge watching?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I stuck with this and was rewarded. It’s not HBO level stuff but it was entertaining.
Agreed, I'm about 5-6 episodes in now, and it's pretty good.

Reaction Score
Over the weekend, I watched the first four episodes posted of Poker Face on Peacock. It's an hourly crime solving show, starring Natasha Lyonne. She plays a drifter who has the ability to tell when people are lying. It's in the mode of Columbo, where it's not so much a whodunnit, but more of a how will they prove it? I'm a big fan of hers and really enjoyed her last show, Russian Doll (Season 1>Season 2).

Reaction Score
Late to the party with Reacher, but we enjoyed the first few episodes so far. I read a handful of the Lee Child books and wanted to puke seeing Tom Cruise as Reacher. Alan Ritchson is a little more like it!

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Over the weekend, I watched the first four episodes posted of Poker Face on Peacock. It's an hourly crime solving show, starring Natasha Lyonne. She plays a drifter who has the ability to tell when people are lying. It's in the mode of Columbo, where it's not so much a whodunnit, but more of a how will they prove it? I'm a big fan of hers and really enjoyed her last show, Russian Doll (Season 1>Season 2).

Would love to watch this as I've enjoyed Lyonne in most everything she does. But I also would love to watch things on Paramount+ and AppleTV, and I'm just not enticed to sub to more streaming services over the three I already have.

I'm generally not a fan of consolidation, but with streaming, I wouldn't mind seeing it!

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The Staircase (HBO) - I have gotten a little worn out by True Crime stories, so I figured I would get to this when I got to this. It turns out that it is really good, although uncomfortable to watch at time. The story is about a really bizarre actual murder case in North Carolina that began in 2001. The acting is really good in a complicated story with lots of complicated characters. Sophie Turner (aka Sansa Stark) and Odessa Young are really excellent as adopted sisters of the lead characters. All the actors that play the kids do a really good job. Juliette Binoche is outstanding as a documentary editor who is the only person trying to find the truth.

Colin Firth does a very good job as Michael Peterson, and Toni Collette is solid as his wife Kathleen, but I feel like both were miscast. Firth 95% pulls it off, but I spent the entire series thinking that someone else would have been better for Kathleen. There isn't enough chemistry between the two of them that I really bought that they were ever in love. I think the series would have been better with slightly less acclaimed actors in those two roles. These is a slightly upper-middle class couple from North Carolina, and it is hard to buy these two as those people. I got past it, but they weren't perfect for the roles.

My biggest issue is that the show completely looks past an opportunity to intelligently address the massive anti-gay bias that was the underpinning of the trial and Michael Peterson's ultimate conviction. The case against Peterson was OK, but rather than really put a strong case together, the prosecutors leaned in on the fact that Peterson was bisexual. The prosecution's entire theory for the case fell apart when the missing "murder weapon" was discovered and turned out not to be a murder weapon, and the rest of the evidence had lots of problems. Peterson's lawyer got into the trial the fact (which later turned out to have been a lie) that Peterson had told his wife about his bisexuality, and the jury, despite not knowing that was a lie, didn't care. Ultimately, the prosecution got a conviction because the jury didn't like that Peterson was bisexual/gay, and convicted him on that despite all the other problems with the case.

I do not know if Peterson did it or not. I could be talked into it either way, but that is why the standard of proof in a criminal case is greater than preponderance of evidence. The standard is "beyond a reasonable doubt", and there is no way the prosecution met that standard. Despite that, Peterson spent 8 or 9 years in jail (I am not clear when he went in) because the prosecution turned the trial into a discussion of Peterson's bisexuality. I would have liked the series to explore that more.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score

I watched the first episode and really enjoyed it. I also loved Lyonne in Russia Doll.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
The Staircase (HBO) - I have gotten a little worn out by True Crime stories, so I figured I would get to this when I got to this. It turns out that it is really good, although uncomfortable to watch at time. The story is about a really bizarre actual murder case in North Carolina that began in 2001. The acting is really good in a complicated story with lots of complicated characters. Sophie Turner (aka Sansa Stark) and Odessa Young are really excellent as adopted sisters of the lead characters. All the actors that play the kids do a really good job. Juliette Binoche is outstanding as a documentary editor who is the only person trying to find the truth.

Colin Firth does a very good job as Michael Peterson, and Toni Collette is solid as his wife Kathleen, but I feel like both were miscast. Firth 95% pulls it off, but I spent the entire series thinking that someone else would have been better for Kathleen. There isn't enough chemistry between the two of them that I really bought that they were ever in love. I think the series would have been better with slightly less acclaimed actors in those two roles. These is a slightly upper-middle class couple from North Carolina, and it is hard to buy these two as those people. I got past it, but they weren't perfect for the roles.

My biggest issue is that the show completely looks past an opportunity to intelligently address the massive anti-gay bias that was the underpinning of the trial and Michael Peterson's ultimate conviction. The case against Peterson was OK, but rather than really put a strong case together, the prosecutors leaned in on the fact that Peterson was bisexual. The prosecution's entire theory for the case fell apart when the missing "murder weapon" was discovered and turned out not to be a murder weapon, and the rest of the evidence had lots of problems. Peterson's lawyer got into the trial the fact (which later turned out to have been a lie) that Peterson had told his wife about his bisexuality, and the jury, despite not knowing that was a lie, didn't care. Ultimately, the prosecution got a conviction because the jury didn't like that Peterson was bisexual/gay, and convicted him on that despite all the other problems with the case.

I do not know if Peterson did it or not. I could be talked into it either way, but that is why the standard of proof in a criminal case is greater than preponderance of evidence. The standard is "beyond a reasonable doubt", and there is no way the prosecution met that standard. Despite that, Peterson spent 8 or 9 years in jail (I am not clear when he went in) because the prosecution turned the trial into a discussion of Peterson's bisexuality. I would have liked the series to explore that more.
Interesting. Am I the only one who has a hard time watching a dramatized story about an event when I've already seen at least one documentary account of it? That's why I've been avoiding this and The Dropout, but I may give this one a shot.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
If anybody saw episode 3 of The Last of Us, there was a genuine moment of geographic absurdity, and fans have been mocking and trolling the show ever since. Some of it is pretty funny.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Finished up Lockwood & Co. A bit of a chore at the end. The first episode was the best. Did a good job of introducing you to the characters, setting the stage, and diving right into the action. I didn't end up enjoying where the story went as much as I thought I might based on how it started. Oh well. I didn't realize until I did some reading about it that it's an adaptation of a YA book series. Last episode left the door wide open for another season.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Watched half of "Hawkeye" yesterday. Entertaining enough. I'd give just about anything a try with Hailee Steinfield in it.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
The Last Of Us right now is, IMO, the best show on viewership TV. Some may find its story line generic, but its application is virtually flawless, and the acting is beyond first rate. As someone that actually played the game (as with when I read the Song Of Ice And Fire series) I was extremely skeptical but hopeful. However once again HBO shows they, unlike Netfilx, have a finger on the pulse of the ready made fan base of adaptations.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
It's one of the better short series, behind Loki.
Finished it off. I wish Florence Pugh had been on screen more. I love her Yelena character. So deadpan, so funny.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Clarkson's Farm season 2. This has been fun and funny, but also simply astonishing. The extent of bureaucratic overreach is simply unimaginable. They are crushing farmers in the UK with this nonsense. It's fine if people don't like Clarkson for being a bit crude and he's a polarizing figure, but there's no question that he's helping to bring visibility to what these farmers face.

Reaction Score
Last of Us is great although I am kind of afraid of mushrooms now.

Wife and I are watching Pokerface and we're enjoying it.

I am finally getting around to The Man in the High Castle. I just finished the first season and although I am not gripped by it, I'll carry on.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I am finally getting around to The Man in the High Castle. I just finished the first season and although I am not gripped by it, I'll carry on.
It took me awhile to warm up it, mostly due to not really understanding what I was watching. But it got better. Worth the entire ride, IMO.

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
Finally got around to Snowfall and have ripped through the first three seasons over the past couple of weeks. No idea how I missed this show from it's onset. Had I known this was pretty much the Freeway Rick Ross story I would have been watching it from the beginning.

Fantastic show and I was completely gripped to the TV to end season 3 when the destruction of Mel begins. So sad to see someone with so much going for them succumb to their environment. Hoping to be caught up for the new season to start on Feb 23.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Watched 2 episodes of Hulu's "Extraordinary." Really liking it, not very many episodes so should be able to knock it out quickly. Set in the UK. Everybody acquires some kind of power (some of them are so mundane you can't call them superpowers) around the time they turn 18, except for our main character. Mid 20s and still waiting. She's a likable loser, nothing really pans out for her in life. It's funny, sometimes the awkward kind, but also has some emotional depth to it. Lots of fun sight gags going on in the background with people using their powers, sometimes in really stupid ways.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Watched 2 episodes of Hulu's "Extraordinary." Really liking it, not very many episodes so should be able to knock it out quickly. Set in the UK. Everybody acquires some kind of power (some of them are so mundane you can't call them superpowers) around the time they turn 18, except for our main character. Mid 20s and still waiting. She's a likable loser, nothing really pans out for her in life. It's funny, sometimes the awkward kind, but also has some emotional depth to it. Lots of fun sight gags going on in the background with people using their powers, sometimes in really stupid ways.
Not to ruin this show for you sounds a lot like the plot of Encanto

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Ah, the story is probably ~90% straight. The characters are drawn liberally but the history is on point.

It's a must watch IMO, as is Tokyo Vice.

I've also been watching The Gilded Age with the wife and it's.....surprisingly good. The set design is absolutely superb and very evocative of Victorian Era NYC

I am two episodes into the Gilded Age. It is not bad, but I feel like it could have been better, at least through two episodes. The show is based on a fascinating period of history. George Russell in the show is based on Jay Gould, who was absolutely bonkers in the scams he would pull off and the risks he took.

Look up the Erie War. I hope they do it in the show.

Reaction Score
The Outlaws on Netflix is a great British dark comedy/mystery show. Acting is superb. Christopher Walken is the only big name star, however the other cast members are as talented if not better.

I enjoy British based shows so I have a slight bias.

Reaction Score
Like others, I have watched Poker Face. I subscribed to Peacock based on the first episode of Poker Face. I only pay for Showtime and ESPN streaming options in addition to Peacock. It was nice to see actors such as Ellen Barkin, Tim Meadows, John Ratzenberger and especially Adrien Brody in some of the episodes.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
The Outlaws on Netflix is a great British dark comedy/mystery show. Acting is superb. Christopher Walken is the only big name star, however the other cast members are as talented if not better.

I enjoy British based shows so I have a slight bias.
Stephen Merchant is pretty well known. He is the co-creator/writer/director of the show. He also was co-writer/director on The Office with Ricky Gervais.

I agree, it's a great show. Lot of fun.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom