What are you binge watching? | Page 39 | The Boneyard

What are you binge watching?

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Decided to give Rings of Power a chance. Watched 2 episodes. Didn't really do much for me.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Just finished the first episode of 'The Peripheral'. I'm in.
This is really quite good. Solid all around, with a fair amount of tension. You think you may know what's going on, but probably don't. Chloe Grace Moretz is good as is Gary Carr.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Started Shantaram on Apple TV. I really liked the book, and there have been attempts to make a movie out of the book for 15 years, with both Johnny Depp and Russell Crowe attached at various times. I thought TV was the better format for the show, and I was fine with Charlie Hunnam as "Lin", the lead. He looks the part. The book is an unwieldy mess of a story about the Bombay (now Mumbai) underworld of the early 1980's. The plot is all over the place and the book is too long, and yet I couldn't put it down when I read it.

The reviews are pretty rough, but TV reviewers jumped the shark when the consensus of the first season of Succession was mediocre. They crap on everything new, and then jump on the bandwagon if a show takes off (see Succession). Some of the reviews are simply factually wrong, such as one review that was upset that the show was not shot in India, when much of the show was shot in India, just not Mumbai.

That said, something is just missing through 2 episodes. The show isn't terrible, but it isn't grabbing me either. At first I thought the acting was bad, but when most of the actors are bad, maybe it is the direction and not the actors. Most of the characters come off as wooden and one dimensional. Author Gregory David Roberts wrote such a complex web of interesting characters in the book that I expected the TV show to be incredible. Elektra Kilbey is pretty bad as Lisa, who is one of the key characters, but maybe it is not her fault, because the actors that play several other key characters, like Karla, look like they are in a soap opera from the 80's. Charlie Hunnam is OK, but I think of him like I think of Patrick Swayze or Emilia Clarke. They aren't great actors, but they are just so appealing and likeable that you let it go.

It is being directed like a melodrama when it should be chaos. I have only read about it, but Bombay circa 1983 should be an intense and vibrant experience. This was a city on the cusp of a seismic shift in both Indian history and the globalization of the world economy. That was captured in the book, where the city was the real star, with Lin just a narrator. In the show, the city seems like an Indian version of Cincinnati, in dull, flyover generica. You rarely see Mumbai in Slumdog Millionaire, yet it is still a living, breathing presence in that movie. So far, Shantaram doesn't come close to replicating that energy.

I hope the show picks up the pace because I have been looking forward to this show for a long time.

This gets better in episodes 3 and 4. I don't get what the director of the first two episodes was doing, but the characters, for the most part, are more three dimensional in episodes 3 and 4. I know the show had some problems with filming during Covid and Charlie Hunnam got really sick during filming, so maybe that was a factor in how wooden the first two episodes are.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
4 episodes in on Peripheral now. Finally peeled back the curtain a little bit on what happens in the future. Definitely a slow burn. I like Wilf, but some of the other future characters aren't particularly compelling. The story suffers when we go too long without having Chloe on screen.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Two episodes in on Inside Man. Interesting premise: death row inmate (Stanley Tucci) helps solve mysteries if he deems the case morally good. Some comic relief provided by a huge guy who plays Dillon, who has a photographic memory and is also on death row due to multiple murders and eating his mother's feet. Want to see where this goes.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Two episodes in on Inside Man. Interesting premise: death row inmate (Stanley Tucci) helps solve mysteries if he deems the case morally good. Some comic relief provided by a huge guy who plays Dillon, who has a photographic memory and is also on death row due to multiple murders and eating his mother's feet. Want to see where this goes.
Finished Inside Man. Enjoyed it. Only four episodes. Didn't see any info on whether there will be more, although there was a cliffhanger to end ep4 (after credits).

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Netflix' 'All Quiet on the Western Front' was absolutely incredible.

DEFINITE Must-Watch. Easy best picture candidate.
I think this belong in recently watched movies, but I am indeed looking forward to this one.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Daily Alaska

I decided to watch this based upon the comments on the board. I wasn’t sure, but it’s been sucking me in episode by episode. I have to say I like it. Thursday is the season finale.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
gold rush, last season. not the same juice as earlier seasons, but as long as parker and beets are in it, im in it.
re-binge watching the season of trailer park boys where they get their cannabis business going. legendary. fun. legendarily funny. (dvds. if i like a series, i'll hunt down and buy the disc if available. i ain't getting caught in no apocalypse without some solar panels, a screen, and the dvds of my fav shows.)
can't really binge watch wicked tuner. good show, but after only a couple episodes, you kinda feel like 3 beers lying out in the sun up on the bow. drowsy.

CL82

Reaction Score
What?! That was fast.
Yeah, I thought so too. I just took a look online and they’re calling it the “midseason finale“ whatever that means.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Yeah, I thought so too. I just took a look online and they’re calling it the “midseason finale“ whatever that means.
I think that means they'll take a little hiatus and then have new episodes starting up again.

Reaction Score
I need to rewatch Army of Darkness. One of the greatest meme/memorable line movies ever.

I never saw the original or sequel but did see AoD recently and enjoyed it so decided to give the show a chance and am really enjoying it. I like turning off the brain from dealing with life and just enjoying some mindless fun and gore that makes no apologies for what it is and doesnt take itself at all seriously.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Finally started Yellowstone. That was one wild Pilot episode. Almost a movie. It's certainly an interesting cast of characters. Not sure many of them are likable.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Daily Alaska

I decided to watch this based upon the comments on the board. I wasn’t sure, but it’s been sucking me in episode by episode. I have to say I like it. Thursday is the season finale.
I'm three episodes in, also because of this board. Not sure I'll stick with it. Given the high quality of so many series these days, this one seems a bit more like something out of the 80s or 90s in terms of formula and dialogue. But the setting and native characters make it more interesting than an urban crime drama.

CL82

Reaction Score
I'm three episodes in, also because of this board. Not sure I'll stick with it. Given the high quality of so many series these days, this one seems a bit more like something out of the 80s or 90s in terms of formula and dialogue. But the setting and native characters make it more interesting than an urban crime drama.
I see what you’re seeing and agree. It gets increasingly better. It’s not a great show, but it’s definitely solid.

Reaction Score
Watched the latest American horror story season , "NYC" and thought it was one of the best seasons to date. I keep watching them even though theyve been pretty bad since the first 2 seasons but this season was way less campy and focused on the aids epidemic on the 80s.

Reaction Score
Got through the first few episodes of Interview with a Vampire. It is stylish but lacks the bite of the movie. They have to stretch the story for the series and at times if feels like they are stuck on repeat.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom