What are you binge watching? | Page 38 | The Boneyard

What are you binge watching?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Loved the 1st episode. Might've set a bar too high, like Brockmire did. I'm three episodes in and finding i can stay ahead of the jokes, which to me means it's a bit too predictable. I'll keep going though.

There is a meta aspect to the show that makes even the predictable jokes funny on multiple levels.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Watched Season 3 of The Boys over several days. That series just keeps getting more and more twisted. Several scenes were downright depraved. I can't even remember Season 2 much, I think I enjoyed this more though. I wouldn't have expected it, but Kimiko and Frenchie ended up being the heart and soul of this season IMO.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Watched Season 3 of The Boys over several days. That series just keeps getting more and more twisted. Several scenes were downright depraved. I can't even remember Season 2 much, I think I enjoyed this more though. I wouldn't have expected it, but Kimiko and Frenchie ended up being the heart and soul of this season IMO.
I think this show is just a few pointlessly shocking and depraved scenes away from being really good. I get that it's part of the point, but it's really not necessary and detracts from their more valid commentary. I thought Soldier Boy was a solid story arc, and Jensen Ackles nails it.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I think this show is just a few pointlessly shocking and depraved scenes away from being really good.
At least Termite is gone now. Pretty much any scene with him was disgusting.

Reaction Score
Showtime's 'American Gigolo' is not bad.

The lead aactor (guy from 'The Walking Dead' and 'We Own This City') looks just like a young Richard Gere in the film version.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Welcome To Wrexham
The Patient
Both on Hulu
How is welcome to Wrexham? I feel as if it is doomed to be a vague reference to Ted Lasso.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
How is welcome to Wrexham? I feel as if it is doomed to be a vague reference to Ted Lasso.
Binged 5 episodes last night. Really enjoy it. It's like Ted Lasso meets Clarkson's Farm. The fun parts are all the locals, and the players who share private moments. Rob and Ryan are involved, but they are not the main characters in this, really. There's two older ladies always having tea at the same table, yapping about the team and players. They remind me of the old guys in the balcony in The Muppet Show. You get to see how much of a struggle it is to be a pro footballer at this level, paid about as much as a checkout person at Target.

It's an in depth look at a struggling small former coal mining city in Wales, which has a centuries old passion for the football team that is similarly at the lowest point it has ever been. Will the club make it back? Will the city of Wrexham be revived? How much hope do two celebrity owners bring?

CL82

Reaction Score
Binged 5 episodes last night. Really enjoy it. It's like Ted Lasso meets Clarkson's Farm. The fun parts are all the locals, and the players who share private moments. Rob and Ryan are involved, but they are not the main characters in this, really. There's two older ladies always having tea at the same table, yapping about the team and players. They remind me of the old guys in the balcony in The Muppet Show. You get to see how much of a struggle it is to be a pro footballer at this level, paid about as much as a checkout person at Target.

It's an in depth look at a struggling small former coal mining city in Wales, which has a centuries old passion for the football team that is similarly at the lowest point it has ever been. Will the club make it back? Will the city of Wrexham be revived? How much hope do two celebrity owners bring?
Thanks, I got as far as Ryan making snow angels on the turf and figured it would be a narcissistic focus on him and bailed. I’ll give it another shot.

I watched The Patient instead. That was surprisingly good. I am three episodes in, and they are doing a great job with the tension and hopelessness of the doctor situation. My guess is that Sam ended up killing his father and that’s why he “went away.“ Out of all the characters, it’s the mother who gives me the heebie-jeebies. There is something super creepy I mom next-door vibe coupled with the matter fact way she talks about Sam’s issues

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Thanks, I got as far as Ryan making snow angels on the turf and figured it would be a narcissistic focus on him and bailed. I’ll give it another shot.

I watched The Patient instead. That was surprisingly good. I am three episodes in, and they are doing a great job with the tension and hopelessness of the doctor situation. My guess is that Sam ended up killing his father and that’s why he “went away.“ Out of all the characters, it’s the mother who gives me the heebie-jeebies. There is something super creepy I mom next-door vibe coupled with the matter fact way she talks about Sam’s issues
Between the two, Rob is in the show more than Ryan. It makes sense. Rob is more of an ordinary guy. Ryan is an A lister married to Blake Lively. Rob makes a joke about their social media pull helping the club, saying they have a combined 50 million followers...then he says "you're going to show the chart aren't you". Rob 1M, Ryan 49M (or something like that). Some parts are humbling for both of them.

I'll check into the Patient. I want to check out the werewolf show on Disney+ as well.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Finished off The Terminal List. Ending pissed me off. Nearly ruined the whole thing for me. That and the flashbacks and hallucinations got fairly irritating and redundant. Solid show, but not great. I thought Reacher was better.

Watched 1 ep. of Outer Range, I'll probably move on to that next.

Reaction Score
Finished off The Terminal List. Ending pissed me off. Nearly ruined the whole thing for me. That and the flashbacks and hallucinations got fairly irritating and redundant. Solid show, but not great. I thought Reacher was better.

Watched 1 ep. of Outer Range, I'll probably move on to that next.
I agree with your assessment on Reacher being more enjoyable than Terminal List. I liked Terminal List and I enjoy Chris Pratt, but part of what I enjoy about him as an actor is the humor he brings to his roles. And this role had no humor in it.

I will be interested to hear your opinion on Outer Range. I know some folks on here enjoyed it tremendously, but it was a bit too far "out there" for me.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I will be interested to hear your opinion on Outer Range. I know some folks on here enjoyed it tremendously, but it was a bit too far "out there" for me.
I've watched 3 episodes. Not sure if I'm going to continue. Having a hard time getting into it. Don't really care about most of the characters. I'm a big fan of Imogen Poots, but maybe even she's not enough to keep me going.

I also watched 3 episodes of Yellowjackets (got the DVD from the library, after streaming 2 eps). Think I'm pulling the plug on that too. I just don't have the patience for slowly developing plots. If something is glacially slow paced, it better have compelling characters. And neither of these shows does IMO.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Archive 81. Netflix. Started last night. Looking for horror stuff. This is pretty spooky in a few different ways. It’s like a blend of a Conjuring movie with Fringe. You just aren’t at all sure what is going on, but there’s a genuine sense of impending dread. Cast has no big names. Production level is just ok, by design I think. Some scenes have that Blair Witch realism. Plot is essentially a video restoration guy is hired to restore a bunch of Sony 8mm tapes, and what they reveal tells the story of a woman doing a video grad student project on a NYC apartment complex, where weird stuff is going down. But then connections arise between the guy in the now and the girl in the then. Are they real? What’s happening. Worth a watch.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Rings of Power. Final episode was last night, and if I had any misgivings before that (not many), that episode redeemed the series. Really just a superb episode. Too many naysayers complaining that the show diverges from Tolkien. He didn't publish anything covering these events in detail, it was just pieced together, often from notes. Morfydd Clark is just absolutely lovely as Galadriel, but also fierce. The locations, sets, cinematography, make House of the Dragon look like a made for TV movie by comparison.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
We just watched 2 seasons of The Sinners on netflix in like 2 nights. Really enjoyed it. Good to see Bill Pullman around.
Season 4 dropped earlier this month. It's the final season. Moved slowly at first but really came together around E4-5. Other than Pullman, the only repeating character was his gf Sonja. Frances Farmer is really the only "name" in this year's new cast, but most everyone was credible in their role and the storytelling was well done. Pullman still played Pullman, which at times can be annoying, but his laconic thing worked better this season that in past seasons.

Reaction Score
Season 4 dropped earlier this month. It's the final season. Moved slowly at first but really came together around E4-5. Other than Pullman, the only repeating character was his gf Sonja. Frances Farmer is really the only "name" in this year's new cast, but most everyone was credible in their role and the storytelling was well done. Pullman still played Pullman, which at times can be annoying, but his laconic thing worked better this season that in past seasons.
Yeah we watched it in a night or two. I really like Pullman.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Started Shantaram on Apple TV. I really liked the book, and there have been attempts to make a movie out of the book for 15 years, with both Johnny Depp and Russell Crowe attached at various times. I thought TV was the better format for the show, and I was fine with Charlie Hunnam as "Lin", the lead. He looks the part. The book is an unwieldy mess of a story about the Bombay (now Mumbai) underworld of the early 1980's. The plot is all over the place and the book is too long, and yet I couldn't put it down when I read it.

The reviews are pretty rough, but TV reviewers jumped the shark when the consensus of the first season of Succession was mediocre. They crap on everything new, and then jump on the bandwagon if a show takes off (see Succession). Some of the reviews are simply factually wrong, such as one review that was upset that the show was not shot in India, when much of the show was shot in India, just not Mumbai.

That said, something is just missing through 2 episodes. The show isn't terrible, but it isn't grabbing me either. At first I thought the acting was bad, but when most of the actors are bad, maybe it is the direction and not the actors. Most of the characters come off as wooden and one dimensional. Author Gregory David Roberts wrote such a complex web of interesting characters in the book that I expected the TV show to be incredible. Elektra Kilbey is pretty bad as Lisa, who is one of the key characters, but maybe it is not her fault, because the actors that play several other key characters, like Karla, look like they are in a soap opera from the 80's. Charlie Hunnam is OK, but I think of him like I think of Patrick Swayze or Emilia Clarke. They aren't great actors, but they are just so appealing and likeable that you let it go.

It is being directed like a melodrama when it should be chaos. I have only read about it, but Bombay circa 1983 should be an intense and vibrant experience. This was a city on the cusp of a seismic shift in both Indian history and the globalization of the world economy. That was captured in the book, where the city was the real star, with Lin just a narrator. In the show, the city seems like an Indian version of Cincinnati, in dull, flyover generica. You rarely see Mumbai in Slumdog Millionaire, yet it is still a living, breathing presence in that movie. So far, Shantaram doesn't come close to replicating that energy.

I hope the show picks up the pace because I have been looking forward to this show for a long time.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
Started Shantaram on Apple TV. I really liked the book, and there have been attempts to make a movie out of the book for 15 years, with both Johnny Depp and Russell Crowe attached at various times. I thought TV was the better format for the show, and I was fine with Charlie Hunnam as "Lin", the lead. He looks the part. The book is an unwieldy mess of a story about the Bombay (now Mumbai) underworld of the early 1980's. The plot is all over the place and the book is too long, and yet I couldn't put it down when I read it.

The reviews are pretty rough, but TV reviewers jumped the shark when the consensus of the first season of Succession was mediocre. They crap on everything new, and then jump on the bandwagon if a show takes off (see Succession). Some of the reviews are simply factually wrong, such as one review that was upset that the show was not shot in India, when much of the show was shot in India, just not Mumbai.

That said, something is just missing through 2 episodes. The show isn't terrible, but it isn't grabbing me either. At first I thought the acting was bad, but when most of the actors are bad, maybe it is the direction and not the actors. Most of the characters come off as wooden and one dimensional. Author Gregory David Roberts wrote such a complex web of interesting characters in the book that I expected the TV show to be incredible. Elektra Kilbey is pretty bad as Lisa, who is one of the key characters, but maybe it is not her fault, because the actors that play several other key characters, like Karla, look like they are in a soap opera from the 80's. Charlie Hunnam is OK, but I think of him like I think of Patrick Swayze or Emilia Clarke. They aren't great actors, but they are just so appealing and likeable that you let it go.

It is being directed like a melodrama when it should be chaos. I have only read about it, but Bombay circa 1983 should be an intense and vibrant experience. This was a city on the cusp of a seismic shift in both Indian history and the globalization of the world economy. That was captured in the book, where the city was the real star, with Lin just a narrator. In the show, the city seems like an Indian version of Cincinnati, in dull, flyover generica. You rarely see Mumbai in Slumdog Millionaire, yet it is still a living, breathing presence in that movie. So far, Shantaram doesn't come close to replicating that energy.

I hope the show picks up the pace because I have been looking forward to this show for a long time.
Thanks for this. I enjoyed the book, but you're right, my overall feeling was it was too long. I saw this pop up on Apple TV and couldn't decide whether to give it a go. I think I'll add it to my watch list but wait until i'm desperate for something to watch.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
2 episodes of "The Peripheral" are available on Amazon now, with a new ep. being released each Friday. Fairly interesting, but they are going to draw it out giving you tidbits of information. Chloe Grace Moretz and her brother think they are beta testing a new extremely immersive simulation game. Turns out they are not, it is data transfer to 70 years in the future and everything that happens is real. Wearing a headset with neural links allows her to pilot a synthetic body in the future. Not much is clear about what is happening in the future, but because of their involvement they become targets for elimination in their time frame. Based on a story by William Gibson. Some of the same creative team behind Westworld.

Reaction Score
I'm a little late to pop culture party with this one but 'Severance' is awesome. We're only three episodes in and we've slowed down to ration the remainder. It's really good.

Also watching 'Shantaram' on Apple TV+. So far so good through 2 eps, big Charlie Hunnam fan.

Looking to start the new Amazon scifi series from the Nolan brothers, 'The Peripheral'. Heard mixed reviews, one of those 'love it or hate it' deals.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
I'm a little late to pop culture party with this one but 'Severance' is awesome. We're only three episodes in and we've slowed down to ration the remainder. It's really good.

Also watching 'Shantaram' on Apple TV+. So far so good through 2 eps, big Charlie Hunnam fan.

Looking to start the new Amazon scifi series from the Nolan brothers, 'The Peripheral'. Heard mixed reviews, one of those 'love it or hate it' deals.
I just watched Severance recently also and I loved it. I almost gave up after the first episode...but the quirkiness had me intrigued...then it just got better and better. Loved Patricia Arquette.

CL82

Reaction Score
I just finished The Patient. That ended up being very good. Tough to say much about it without spoilers. I will say the ending was oddly satisfying.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I just finished The Patient. That ended up being very good. Tough to say much about it without spoilers. I will say the ending was oddly satisfying.
As Hulu queues up the next new episode of whatever series you're watching, I've found it disconcerting to watch The Patient immediately followed by Reboot.

Truth be told, I'm kind of glad The Patient is over. I had too many questions, like does the doc ever get his laundry done, and how does that work. If not, that basement had to be ripe.

CL82

Reaction Score
As Hulu queues up the next new episode of whatever series you're watching, I've found it disconcerting to watch The Patient immediately followed by Reboot.

Truth be told, I'm kind of glad The Patient is over. I had too many questions, like does the doc ever get his laundry done, and how does that work. If not, that basement had to be ripe.
I thought exactly the same thing. No toilet paper down there either and being in the room with an unemptied bed pain all day couldn’t have been a party either.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom