whaley for big east dpoy | The Boneyard

whaley for big east dpoy

Reaction Score
I don’t follow the rest of the league either but all I can say is Whaley’s defense is elite. He’s so disruptive and does a lot of things that don’t show up in the stats either. I’d be curious to see who is considered a better defensive player than him in the league.

Reaction Score
He has a shot. It usually goes to shot blockers on a top team in the league. I don't know the league well enough to make a great judgment, but Whaley certainly is a brilliant defender at this level.

Reaction Score
Whaley was great tonight on the defensive end. I was thinking the same thing tonight watching him. Nice to see after the St. John's game, which was easily his worst.

Also, Martin is a pretty tenacious defender.

I loved it tonight because 3 or 4 different UConn players had their guy drive and then try to move them with their body. The UConn defender was there straight up and strong, the the offensive player just bounced off of them like they ran into a wall.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I’m not sure where this Whaley had been. He’s too often looked lethargic compared to what we saw tonight. When he plays with thus level of energy he changes the game on defense. Defense is our identity so we need him.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
as of now, he should be a shoo-in. i mean, people have eyes, don't they?
his hands are faster than lightning.

Reaction Score
WHALEY ate Nze up tonight - held him to 1 for 11 shooting!! 9%!!

I think the focus on Nze was gameplan after Uconn let him get 18 last time the played, Nze also had 15 key points in Butler's win over Creighton.... Whaley said "not today" and just kept rejecting him. Was beautiful to watch.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
He reminds me of a slightly bigger Rodman. He is not quite as versatile as Rodman but his quickness for his size is elite. And at his size he's able to impose his will at times on big men. He dominated this game defensively.

Also small point. Following the Creighton game it appeared that the only UConn player McDermott made a point of congratulating was Whaley. He was that dominant.

Reaction Score
I don’t follow the rest of the league either but all I can say is Whaley’s defense is elite. He’s so disruptive and does a lot of things that don’t show up in the stats either. I’d be curious to see who is considered a better defensive player than him in the league.
Think
Bo outlaw

evmore

FRIENDOftheprogram
Reaction Score
Probably go to Gillespie for drawing charges
...words like "gritty" & sayings like "tough as nails" attached to the write up as they fantasize about Aaron Craft sliding side to side in a defensive stance.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
...words like "gritty" & sayings like "tough as nails" attached to the write up as they fantasize about Aaron Craft sliding side to side in a defensive stance.
Gym rat

Reaction Score
He has a good shot. Might be the favorite at the moment. We've got the best statistical D in the league and he's top 3 in blocks (and the 2 above are backups or on bad teams).
Obiagu plays a good amount (~50% of SHU games) and is a really insane shot blocker, but Whaley’s ability to stay with quicker players and disrupt passes/ball handlers on the perimeter puts him over the top IMO. He’s the guy who makes the best part of this team go.

Reaction Score
I'm biased but he may be the best hedging ball-screen defender I've ever seen at the college level. He never lets the guard turn the corner and oftentimes he's able to force a turnover.
He is the best ever at this. Unfortunately teams are starting to avoid having bigs set ball screens for their guards against us because of Whaley. In the beginning of the season he caused at least 3 guards to poop their pants when he hedged.

Reaction Score
Obiagu plays a good amount (~50% of SHU games) and is a really insane shot blocker, but Whaley’s ability to stay with quicker players and disrupt passes/ball handlers on the perimeter puts him over the top IMO. He’s the guy who makes the best part of this team go.
Yeah, I'd be hard pressed to give it to a guy on the 7th best D by efficiency who plays half the minutes vs. the key defender on the team with the best defense who plays almost 80% of the team's minutes. But I'm sure Obiagu will have his defenders.

It's not like Obiagu has a bigger impact in his lesser minutes anyways. Whaley still has a bigger impact on D /100p by on/off than Obiagu (major sample size caveats apply)..

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom