Westbrook Waiver Appeal Denied | The Boneyard

Westbrook Waiver Appeal Denied

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I'm sure Evina feels terrible right now, and I feel terrible for her. If anything comes out of this, I sincerely hope that the NCAA creates a hard and fast rule on transfers that is no longer open to interpretation. No one should ever have to go through this Stop.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Not surprising, and a damn shame. What's ironic is we are in the middle of NCAA gotterdammerung. In 5 years the NCAA will no longer have this power, and will be a shell of itself. Evina was just born at the wrong time. Keep your chin up young lady, this just means next year you'll come back healed, healthy, and stronger than ever...and you're still and always will be a Husky for life.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I'm sure Evina feels terrible right now, and I feel terrible for her. If anything comes out of this, I sincerely hope that the NCAA creates a hard and fast rule on transfers that is no longer open to interpretation. No one should ever have to go through this Stop.
100% on the transfer rule change. Way too arbitrary, so far as I can see.

At the same time, I have never thought that the sit-out year was a "waste", usually players (who can, after all, participate in practice, etc.) are that much more prepared to be an integral part of the team when they come fully aboard the next year. I have seen this, although I also recognize that sometimes, you just need the (highly skilled) body.

Reaction Score
Well, 2019-20 was gonna be tough, but that kills our shot at a Final Four IMO. Not enough depth.....you can get by with a short bench with KLS/NC but this crew....not so much. Geno’s gonna enjoy himself, tho. He gets to coach instead of rolling out overwhelming talent.

HAVING SAID THAT....our 20-21 incoming class/eligibles + returnees will be BONKERS.

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
100% on the transfer rule change. Way too arbitrary, so far as I can see.

At the same time, I have never thought that the sit-out year was a "waste", usually players (who can, after all, participate in practice, etc.) are that much more prepared to be an integral part of the team when they come fully aboard the next year. I have seen this, although I also recognize that sometimes, you just need the (highly skilled) body.
If everyone knew they had to sit out a year, I have no problem. My issue is that kids get their hopes up and then have to deal with the arbitrary and inconsistent decision making process of the NCAA.

So Evina will practice with the Huskies for a year, largely as a practice player, not really learning UConn’s system, except by osmosis. Next year there will be a logjam for PT, with 4 returning starters plus a reserve who will likely be the 6th man this season. Add in a really talented group of 5 freshmen and Evina is going to have to fight for PT.

Had Evina been eligible this season, I absolutely believe she would have been the 5th starter this season, and one of two senior starters next year when she could play and graduate with her good friend Megan.

Reaction Score
Okay this totally sucks...HOWEVER, at this point isn't it case closed and now Evina, her family, and Geno can finally reveal what exactly went down at Tennessee? Geno stated that if something like what Evina endured went down at UConn for one of his players, there would've been some investigation. Spill the tea!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Well, 2019-20 was gonna be tough, but that kills our shot at a Final Four IMO. Not enough depth.....you can get by with a short bench with KLS/NC but this crew....not so much. Geno’s gonna enjoy himself, tho. He gets to coach instead of rolling out overwhelming talent.

HAVING SAID THAT....our 20-21 incoming class/eligibles + returnees will be BONKERS.
I agree this year will be tough, but I will never underestimate Geno’s ability to get the Huskies back to the FF when March rolls around, including this season.

Reaction Score
Wow what utter hogwash. Down with the NCAA. They decide to apply their rules differently from year to year.

Can Notre Dame please hand the Jess Shepherd championship? No way they win without Jess Shepherd.

Also Miss State should hand back their record from last year. No way they perform as good as they did last year without AEH. Also Geno fully supported the AEH transfer and immediate eligibility even though rumors were couldn't follow UCONN "rules". If any whiff comes out that Tenn did something to get in the way of Evina's immediate eligibility then Geno should immediately cancel the series with Tenn.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I'm disappointed for Evina, the team, and the fans. It doesn't feel fair.

The NCAA just approved a waiver appeal for a SJU player Rasheem Dunn. Here's where it gets interesting...

The original waiver was denied. Rasheem originally went to St. Francis. Transferred to Cleveland State and had to sit out a year. Before even suiting up, his coach was fired so he transferred to SJU. The AD of Cleveland state did NOT support the waiver request. The NCAA originally denied his waiver "sources said Cleveland State athletic director Scott Garnett, hired in April, has not supported Dunn being eligible to play right away and the NCAA’s decision not to clear him was based on the fact he could’ve stayed at Cleveland State"

However, SJU appealed and the NCAA has reversed their decision and ruled him eligible. Is there any more to this story? I couldn't find anything, but the reasons for his waiver seem "less" than Evina's. Evina was more than just a coach getting fired and 2 transfers. Seems like bull$h!t to me... :mad:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

Future NCAA transfer protocol: everybody plays the next season or nobody plays. No waivers, no exceptions. :mad: Shepard gets a waiver for whatever reason (we’ll never know the reasons stated, nor should we). Her waiver was granted timely.

Westbrook left for different reasons, and was denied twice. Before Westbrook’s waiver application, I never really cared one way or the other about waiver approval or denials. That is a dynamic that in fairness to everyone needs to be remodeled.

Mistakes are made. A one time transfer can correct those mistakes. Either everyone plays the next season or no one plays. No exceptions. That’s fair for ALL across the board. Right now, everything is shrouded in secrecy.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

These are the committee members who denied the waiver to Westbrook. No explanation, no spokesperson.

Kristina Minor
Rutgers, New Jersey
Big Ten Conference
Erik Price
Pac-12 Conference
Pac-12 Conference
Stephen Aley
Univ Texas El Paso
Conference USA
Tim S. Parker
Virginia Polytechnic
Atlantic Coast Conference