Westbrook = Rebounding Machine | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Westbrook = Rebounding Machine

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
She still has the fire. She was converted to the point guard position and it took some time to adjust.

That's all well and good, but she led the team in assists last year, is the leading the team in assists this year. Not saying her role isn't slightly different than it was last year, but it seems like she came in being okay with facilitating the offense.

And I'm also not trying to knock her down, but I watch a fair amount of Tennessee basketball, too, and she just doesn't seem to be progressing. I just think Tennessee's ability to recruit top ten talent anytime soon kind of depends on her growth, and it's just not happening like it should be.

Reaction Score
Solid job coaching, crappy job recruiting. Tennessee is lucky that Holly was such a tremendous recruiter because they have 0 top 40 recruits the last 2 cycles, and so far have one from 2022 - #33. Not sure who else they think they have a legit shot at, but 4 out of the top 10 are already off the table, and 8 out of the top 25.

Davis, Key, Horston, Burrell, Kushkituah, etc. are all Holly's kids. Suarez, the freshman, seems good. She's from Spain - probably the best recruit KH has gotten in her tenure.

Im pretty sure tenn is on Patterson’s final list

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Basically, just maturity and consistency. She had already developed a really good shot that was on display during her sophomore season. She still had some games where the turnovers were high, but overall, she was a much better decision maker with a positive assist to turnover ratio. It was known to many that she would be a better player off the ball as a shooting guard, but part of her decision to play at TN was to be the point guard. Some TN fans were high on Evina and knew with more time and maturity she would be a consistent threat, but there was another segment of disgruntled fans that are just miserable people. Every fan base has them. She also battled through leg injuries her entire time there. The biggest difference I see now is maturity and a better overall team that allows her to do less and the game not fall on the shoulders of 2 players production (Evina and Rennia).

Had she stayed at TN to play for Kellie, we'd see a confident, very good player in orange, too. She did used to hot dog a bit too and looks like she's realized that it's not necessary at this level. Wish her the best
You mention in your first sentence Horston's sophomore season. This is her sophomore season. I believe Vol fans do not agree with your assessment. They are all over her lack of progress.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
New coach just has to show the recruits her capability. The recruits will come with the emergence of the Lady Vols. That's just how recruiting works. The good news is Kellie is a great talent evaluator and doesn't need to rely on rankings that are highly inaccurate at best. Chelsea Dungee should have proven that to you. Get out of the rankings. You had 3 number 1 kids lose to Arkansas.
Thanks, but I don't need a lecture from you on recruiting or rankings or coaching, or anything really. Go back to Volnation to peddle that drivel. With the number of games UCONN has lost in the past 10 years, we are the last fan base you want to waste your breath blathering about recruiting, or winning games you should win.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
She quietly plays a game that results in 12 points, 5 asssists and 14 rebounds. No fanfare, just plays the game. She does this most of the time, maybe not as many rebounds, but just plays this consistent. A steady force on the floor. And, we do not even know if she has any physical difficulty.
Her rebounding stats shows she's about 3-4 in that category overall... I think she has more than Griffin but Griffin's offensive rebounding puts her ahead

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Evina is now leading the team in defensive rebounds and has collected more defensive rebounds than Liv on the season. @DaddyChoc good thread to big up Evina. Message to Liv: You need to be better! This is the second year in a row that a player 6'1" is out rebounding you ON YOUR OWN TEAM!

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Having seen Evina play a few times for TN I wasn’t overly excited when I heard about her transferring. Now seeing her courage and maturity and all around solid play I am so glad Evina decided to become a Husky.
The BEST decision she's made in the last 4 years. Now the question is will she return to UConn for her senior year? I sure hope so. It will definitely strengthen next year's team, and It may improve her "draft stock" in the WNBA.

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
The BEST decision she's made in the last 4 years. Now the question is will she return to UConn for her senior year? I sure hope so. It will definitely strengthen next year's team, and It may improve her "draft stock" in the WNBA.
I have no clue where she stacks up for the WNBA, because of her injuries and limited games played in last few years. Anyone have any ideas from anyone on her potential draft slotting.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I have no clue where she stacks up for the WNBA, because of her injuries and limited games played in last few years. Anyone have any ideas from anyone on her potential draft slotting.
Me either. :confused:

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Who had the 2nd most rebounds against Seton Hall last night?

Reaction Score
When Horston was being recruited her high school senior year some on the Boneyard were touting her as a future college superstar. She said she wanted to attend a school that could prepare her for the WNBA and would push her. That is one reason some Boneyarders thought she would choose UConn. A lot of UConn fans were disappointed when she chose Tennessee. She was, we were told, undoubtedly the best player coming out of high school and maybe she was. If their are some here who are disappointed with C. Williams play so far, she has been a lot better than Horston. It almost seemed, some thought, Geno had to settle for Griffin. Well, Horston is paying for that decision now and Griffin, who may not be as talented offensively, is growing her basketball skills. Horston may eventually reach her seemingly abundant potential, but I doubt it if she stays at Tennessee. She continues to be a turnover machine and is being roasted by some on VolNation. Evina's sophomore season was a lot better than Horston's. I am glad UConn got Griffin.
There are alternative ways to enhance your WNBA potential. One is to go someplace where you can be the star, put up big numbers and make sure you get your name out there based on your accomplishments. Another is to be a key contributor, but perhaps one of many, on a great team that is always on TV and in the discussion for a national championship.

By transferring to Uconn, Evina traded the former for the later. She has transformed her game from a high usage mediocre efficiency player, to a much lower usage rate with much higher efficiency. She has turned herself into a swiss army knife, showing her versatility, and perhaps more importantly the ability to see what the team needs most in that game.

Now Evina obviously has injury issues, but I think just from the standpoint of her WNBA aspirations, I think she made a wise choice for a couple of reasons.

First after her sophomore season, there were questions regarding her being a me first player, and the role she has assumed on and off the court this year has effectively dealt with those concerns. In addition her most likely role in the WNBA anyway, is not as a star, but as a versatile role player that can be a good teammate. She is showing a more well rounded game, the ability to play three positions in the league etc., and for a team picking in the second half of the first round or early second, that is what teams are looking for.

Reaction Score
New coach just has to show the recruits her capability. The recruits will come with the emergence of the Lady Vols. That's just how recruiting works. The good news is Kellie is a great talent evaluator and doesn't need to rely on rankings that are highly inaccurate at best. Chelsea Dungee should have proven that to you. Get out of the rankings. You had 3 number 1 kids lose to Arkansas.
And beat Tennessee!

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Evina is now leading the team in defensive rebounds and has collected more defensive rebounds than Liv on the season. @DaddyChoc good thread to big up Evina. Message to Liv: You need to be better! This is the second year in a row that a player 6'1" is out rebounding you ON YOUR OWN TEAM!
Who had the most rebounds tonight against St Johns? hmmmm

Last edited:

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Evina improved across the board from her freshman to sophomore seasons. It is worth noting that she remained on campus all summer after her freshman season to improve her strength and conditioning as well as to work with TN MBB HC Rick Barnes on her shooting mechanics. As for Horston, while I’m not particularly close to the situation, it is my understanding that she has regressed some in this her sophomore season. In the LV’s win yesterday vs FL, Horston had 2 pts in 26 minutes.
From reading Vol Nation, they are for the most part very down on Horston. One thread had them reviewing possible transfers and grad students that could come in for the point.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
From reading Vol Nation, they are for the most part very down on Horston. One thread had them reviewing possible transfers and grad students that could come in for the point.
Horston has clearly regressed from her freshman to sophomore season. The one thing I noticed is that she has added a lot of bulk to her frame. I wonder about her fitness level. Horston is clearly not a guard, and I think is struggling to find her role with the LV’s.

Reaction Score
Horston has clearly regressed from her freshman to sophomore season. The one thing I noticed is that she has added a lot of bulk to her frame. I wonder about her fitness level. Horston is clearly not a guard, and I think is struggling to find her role with the LV’s.
Per Volnation, Horston has a back issue. What is it? Is it true? Also, was stated she has a wrist issue. Don't know if any of this is true or an assumption.

Reaction Score
Evina had a MONSTER night in Rebounds against St. John's. - If you look at the season defensive stats, factoring in the average number of minutes played per game, the ONE UCONN PLAYER who has been EXTREMELY CONSISTENT all season long, with total number of Rebounds and Steals per game, it has been AUBREY GRIFFIN. (Last evening against St. John's, she was tied for 2nd in Total Rebounds and Led the Team in Total Steals).

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
who had the 2nd most rebounds against Xavier Saturday afternoon? Edwards led the team, maybe Liv, maybe Griffin... hmmm Paige?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
TN under Holly was just a terribly coached team and players sort of did whatever they could/wanted. Evina as a Sophomore started 31 games, average 31 mpg, scored 14.9 points (tied team lead) on .419/.380/.721 and average 3.6 rebounds with 163 assists, 101 TO and 49 steals - bold numbers team leading. The team was 19-13, 8th in the SEC and bounced in the first round of the NCAA as an 11 seed by UCLA. She started as a Freshman as well 33 games 28 mpg, 8.4 ppg, .390/.318/.513, 2.8 rebounds, 143 assists, 123 TO, 30 steals and 23 blocks. The team was 25-8 hosted the first weekend of the NCAA as the 3 seed and lost in the second round to #6 Oregon State.

Just as a reference for those numbers both years the TN team had less than 1.0 turnovers to assists, and shot .430/.325/.695 in 18-19 and .450/.307/..701 in 17-18 so by a sophomore she was 'above average' for the team which played sloppy and generally undisciplined basketball.

She has been a completely different player this year. Night and day - she has started 24, played 29mpg, scored 9.4, averaged 5.1 rebounds with 101 assists, 56 TO, 44 steals and 17 blocks. She is playing disciplined basketball and seems to be always in control and making good decisions. And her defense is also light years better, mostly because of actually having a system and a coach.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
TN under Holly was just a terribly coached team and players sort of did whatever they could/wanted. Evina as a Sophomore started 31 games, average 31 mpg, scored 14.9 points (tied team lead) on .419/.380/.721 and average 3.6 rebounds with 163 assists, 101 TO and 49 steals - bold numbers team leading. The team was 19-13, 8th in the SEC and bounced in the first round of the NCAA as an 11 seed by UCLA. She started as a Freshman as well 33 games 28 mpg, 8.4 ppg, .390/.318/.513, 2.8 rebounds, 143 assists, 123 TO, 30 steals and 23 blocks. The team was 25-8 hosted the first weekend of the NCAA as the 3 seed and lost in the second round to #6 Oregon State.

Just as a reference for those numbers both years the TN team had less than 1.0 turnovers to assists, and shot .430/.325/.695 in 18-19 and .450/.307/..701 in 17-18 so by a sophomore she was 'above average' for the team which played sloppy and generally undisciplined basketball.

She has been a completely different player this year. Night and day - she has started 24, played 29mpg, scored 9.4, averaged 5.1 rebounds with 101 assists, 56 TO, 44 steals and 17 blocks. She is playing disciplined basketball and seems to be always in control and making good decisions. And her defense is also light years better, mostly because of actually having a system and a coach.
But her shooting percentages, I will bet, are well below what they were at TN. I suppose you can chalk that up to a gimpy knee, but really I think it is a bit of a mystery (since it was better early in the season). With her other contributions, if she shot even 40/30/70 she would be one of the best players on the team who is not sharing an acronym with Peanut Butter.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
But her shooting percentages, I will bet, are well below what they were at TN. I suppose you can chalk that up to a gimpy knee, but really I think it is a bit of a mystery (since it was better early in the season). With her other contributions, if she shot even 40/30/70 she would be one of the best players on the team who is not sharing an acronym with Peanut Butter.
She is shooting .446/.309/.775 so about the same as she shot at TN - worse on the three but better elsewhere. She shot 10.36 times a game as a Vol and she is shooting 7.67 times a game this year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom