We're not joining any major football conference | The Boneyard

We're not joining any major football conference

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Our program is just not worthy. I think JC's retirement combined with PP's incompetence ruined any chance for us to move when the moving was hot. Our football is so bad, our basketball programs can't save it

Reaction Score
On top of that our contract at Rentschler Field isn’t attractive to conferences who might want to play in NYC or Boston every once in a while. We have to play all our home games there.

Reaction Score
Our program is just not worthy. I think JC's retirement combined with PP's incompetence ruined any chance for us to move when the moving was hot. Our football is so bad, our basketball programs can't save it
the fact that our men's program spit the bit in the AAC didn't help matters either.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
On top of that our contract at Rentschler Field isn’t attractive to conferences who might want to play in NYC or Boston every once in a while. We have to play all our home games there.
We played a home game at Fenway.

Reaction Score

Lincoln shot.

Reaction Score
It is impossible to make such blanket predictions. We just don't know where our FB and men's BB program will be in a few years. We have demographics, location, and national championships on our side, too. I never thought Rutgers would have wound up in B10, but there it is.

Reaction Score
This attitude is the dumbest thing about UConn fans. Sorry to say this.

Then WHY are P5 schools scheduling us in football as an independent more than as a member of the AAC? Do people here even rationalize or just post blind emo rants? Last I checked, the AD fired the HC.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
This attitude is the dumbest thing about UConn fans. Sorry to say this.

Then WHY are P5 schools scheduling us in football as an independent more than as a member of the AAC? Do people here even rationalize or just post blind emo rants? Last I checked, the AD fired the HC.
Read the tea leaves. We're not that far away from a point where the real cream of the crop splits from the Wakes, BCs, Washington State's, Candy's and other weaker schools in power conferences. UConn won't be in that top tier club, although there might be conference opportunities with B1G, ACC, SEC castoffs. For example, I'd expect Clemson and FSU to be in a conference with Bama and other SEC powers by 2030.

Reaction Score
Read the tea leaves. We're not that far away from a point where the real cream of the crop splits from the Wakes, BCs, Washington State's, Candy's and other weaker schools in power conferences. UConn won't be in that top tier club, although there might be conference opportunities with B1G, ACC, SEC castoffs. For example, I'd expect Clemson and FSU to be in a conference with Bama and other SEC powers by 2030.
The ACC is a bad end result? Holy cow. I'll leave you guys to yourselves.

And I very highly doubt the Big Ten will fall apart. The Big Ten, the SEC and the Pac-12 will remain the most desirable conferences for any school.

Reaction Score
And I wouldn't expect Clemson and FSU to be in the SEC. I thought the SEC already made clear they don't want to double down any state in expansion, other than Texas.

UF is an original member. You think they'll let in FSU? They have zero need to expand to 18. They can stay as they are for another 50 years and dominate.

Pointless. If college sports is compared to minor leagues, that would mean they want as many sizeable markets as possible.

Reaction Score
And I wouldn't expect Clemson and FSU to be in the SEC. I thought the SEC already made clear they don't want to double down any state in expansion, other than Texas.

UF is an original member. You think they'll let in FSU? They have zero need to expand to 18. They can stay as they are for another 50 years and dominate.

Pointless. If college sports is compared to minor leagues, that would mean they want as many sizeable markets as possible.
Doubling down in Florida is not a bad idea, and expanding into North Carolina and Virginia is an obvious play, especially if you already have two programs in Miss and Tenn.

Reaction Score
Doubling down in Florida is not a bad idea, and expanding into North Carolina and Virginia is an obvious play, especially if you already have two programs in Miss and Tenn.
North Carolina and Virginia. Geez, there you go. The Big Ten and SEC will battle for that area.

The 2 programs in Tennessee and Mississippi were in the SEC before the television was invented. Just an FYI.

Reaction Score
The ACC is a bad end result? Holy cow. I'll leave you guys to yourselves.

And I very highly doubt the Big Ten will fall apart. The Big Ten, the SEC and the Pac-12 will remain the most desirable conferences for any school.
UConn would be a great fit for the ACC. We just have to prove we are capable enough to play with them.

Reaction Score
UConn would be a great fit for the ACC. We just have to prove we are capable enough to play with them.
We already have. Didn't we beat UL the same year they were invited?

Some people just can't wrap their heads around the fact there's good coaches and bad coaches. And good administrators and bad administrators. We've had runs of both at the wrong times. God have mercy on us.

Reaction Score
North Carolina and Virginia. Geez, there you go. The Big Ten and SEC will battle for that area.

The 2 programs in Tennessee and Mississippi were in the SEC before the television was invented. Just an FYI.
So you think both the B1G and SEC will leave VA and NC to the ACC and not attempt to gain entry?

Reaction Score
Can you read?
Yes. You clearly wrote the SEC "They have zero need to expand to 18" and "The Big Ten and SEC will battle for that area." I couldn't tell which statement was sarcasm.

Reaction Score
Yes. You clearly wrote the SEC "They have zero need to expand to 18" and "The Big Ten and SEC will battle for that area." I couldn't tell which statement was sarcasm.
Perhaps there's truth to both? I am pretty sure UVA and UNC prefer the Big Ten. That probably would mean NC State or Duke and Virginia Tech for the SEC.

Reaction Score
We already have. Didn't we beat UL the same year they were invited?

Some people just can't wrap their heads around the fact there's good coaches and bad coaches. And good administrators and bad administrators. We've had runs of both at the wrong times. God have mercy on us.

UConn did beat Louisville in 2012...but UConn went 5-7 while Louisville won 11 games that season. If UConn had won 11 games that season and gone on and beaten Florida in the Sugar Bowl...who knows?

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

You're thinking in confined boxes.

I'm suggesting that there won't be an "SEC" or "ACC" or "B1G" in another decade. There will be huge football powerhouses that command huge viewership, attendance, and national interest. Then there will be a middle group of schools that used to be in those conferences but weren't holding their own, like the Wakes, Dukes, BCs, Vandys and Ruttys. And then there's the regional/directionals and the dregs that nobody tunes in for or goes to see except total diehards.

In the future, among power schools, "Conferences" won't matter. Revenue - and especially revenue splits - will. That's why I believe it's silly to suggest the SEC won't change. Of course they will if new packaging is advantageous to the schools who currently drive the bus.

So UConn wouldn't be "joining the ACC". They'd be affiliated with a group of former ACC (and B1G) schools that were 2nd tier. And considering where we are now, that's not half bad.

Reaction Score
The remaining colleges in the ACC may try to keep the conference together, and they will need schools like UConn to achieve that.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom