Week 3 games (Dec. 7-13) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Week 3 games (Dec. 7-13)

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
So is Kansas St. over South Dakota St. actually a fairly big upset? 62-53, SDSU ranked #22.

edit--the Jackrabbits had beaten Iowa St., Creighton and Gonzaga to start the season.
Not a big upset based on expectations coming into the season. Kansas State figured to be a competitive team built around Ayoka Lee and some other competent pieces. But yet, they looked bad in their early games and Lee got injured early in the Kentucky game and only played 4 minutes (notice that lucky and Kentucky rhyme).

KSU got Lee back in time for this game, and she had 18 and 9 on 7-10 FG, by far her best performance yet. SDSU had a miserably cold-shooting first quarter and found themselves down 24-7 early in 2Q, and never could make up the stagger.

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
Going to be lots of movement in the lower reaches of my next BY Top 25 ballot...with UNC and South Dakota State both losing Thursday, plus Northwestern making its season debut with a big win; I didn't even have the Wildcats on my last ballot.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Going to be lots of movement in the lower reaches of my next BY Top 25 ballot...with UNC and South Dakota State both losing Thursday, plus Northwestern making its season debut with a big win; I didn't even have the Wildcats on my last ballot.
There are a jillion games on Sunday again. I’m sure we haven’t seen the last of the disruptive results.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Not a big upset based on expectations coming into the season. Kansas State figured to be a competitive team built around Ayoka Lee and some other competent pieces. But yet, they looked bad in their early games and Lee got injured early in the Kentucky game and only played 4 minutes (notice that lucky and Kentucky rhyme).

KSU got Lee back in time for this game, and she had 18 and 9 on 7-10 FG, by far her best performance yet. SDSU had a miserably cold-shooting first quarter and found themselves down 24-7 early in 2Q, and never could make up the stagger.
So thanks to the alarm I installed on the daily games (no thanks to YOU!!! ;)), I watched virtually all of that game and was thinking, How is K-State not ranked and how do they have two losses. So I looked up the box scores and heard the OVER enthusiastic K-State announcers (all game they were too gung ho in the Wildcats favor) welcome Ayoka back onto the court.

This is a talented team and is my pick for 2nd in the Big12, yup, that's right, I am picking against VIC and the Texas fanatics on this board! :p

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Utah is celebrating their big win over Oregon St. by trailing Montana St. at the half.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Well Utah has built up a 10 point lead about midway thru Q4. Gylten seems kinda spindly but she's in berserker mode, knocking people around and grabbing all the rebounds.

SimpleDawg

Dan Mullen, Dak Prescott, and Vic Schaefer fan
Reaction Score
Is anyone playing better than Rae Burrell?

In the SEC? Not many. But her opponents have been pretty terrible so far. Dungee is playing the best considering the level of competition (like...... she spanked Baylor), but Burrell is definitely in the Top 3.

Last edited:

Plebe

Reaction Score
In the SEC? Not many. But her opponents have been pretty terrible so far. Dungee is playing the best considering the level of competition (like...... she spanked Baylor), but Burrell is definitely in the Top 3.
Top 3? Maybe among SEC teams from the state of Tennessee.

Burrell isn't in the top 3 of SEC in any statistical category. I can think of at least 5 players off the top of my head who are playing better, as you say, weighted against the competition. At least 2 of them play for Texas A&M.

N'Dea Jones gets my vote for best performance in light of quality opponents. She's averaging 18.5 ppg on 71% FG to go with 10.5 rebounds per game. Dungee is shooting 25% from 3 on the year. Against Maryland she was 5-14 overall and 0-6 from 3, and the Terps swatted Arkansas around the court for 40 minutes like a red-headed stepchild. Dungee had a better game against Baylor, but Ramirez was at least as key to that win as Dungee was.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
The Huskies of Houston Baptist destroyed McMurry 103-30.

The Huskies of Connecticut beat UMass-Lowell 79-23

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

As a result... the Tarheels will play Miami Monday at 2pm on the ACCN

Last edited:

Plebe

Reaction Score
It's been a challenge to stay abreast of all the cancellations and postponements and to keep the header post updated accordingly. I appreciate everyone who's been posting the latest schedule updates in this thread.

Today's casualties have fallen especially hard on the ACC's shoulders: UNC-Louisville and Duke-Miami both were postponed (and the Syracuse-Binghamton game had been canceled before I put together the list).

It's crazy how disproportionately large the Sunday lineup is compared to other days of the week. I have work projects to finish for tomorrow, but I'll be sneaking peeks at the following 3 games in particular:
  • UCF-FGCU. Ladies and gentlemen, this is to decide the best team in the state of Florida (sorry, FSU). I'm curious to see how Kristan Bell leads her FGCU team in the trip up I-5 to visit UCF. Have I talked about how lucky (in quotes) Arkansas got, squeaking by FGCU just hours before the NCAA approved Bell's waiver?

• Tennessee at the Real UT. Both teams have some promise but both have A LOT to prove, having binged their way through enough cupcakes to become pre-diabetic but then faltering in their only significant tests so far.

• UO-OSU. The "Civil War" game is always a good watch. But this is such a new-look year for this matchup, with veritable stars on both teams only a few games into their college careers. I do hope Sedona Prince is in action again (I believe she was held out of UO's latest game?).
How about y'all. Which game or games will be commanding your attention today?

Last edited:

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
Not a Sunday cancellation but Nicholls' Saturday game with Jackson State was cancelled, too.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Interesting subplot in the Drexel-Villanova game. Denise Dillon is coaching against her former team. Drexel currently leads by four points in the second quarter.

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
Virginia and Florida State tied 28-28 at the half.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
TN vs TX of course. Mixed feelings. TN losing is always attractive but I want UConn to face TN when they still have some confidence before snuffing them out.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Virginia and Florida State tied 28-28 at the half.
As I mentioned above, there is no way FSU is better than UCF this year. UCF completely dominated Virginia.

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
7:00 left in game...Virginia has only scored 11 points in the second half.

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
Final: Florida State beats Virginia, 69-51.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Looks like NC State survived a scare..

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Triple double for Dyasha Fair--28/12/10--as Buffalo beats Akron 85-77 in their MAC opener.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Arkansas is pasting Central Arkansas. Slocum/Ramirez/Dungee were all in double figures at the half. Up 50 fairly early in Q3.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom