Week 2 Rankings | The Boneyard

Week 2 Rankings

Reaction Score
Where do you think we’ll end up? Seth Davis doesn’t even have us ranked because we “haven’t played a good team”, yet he has Houston who went to OT with Hofstra, OSU at 14 when they could barely beat 2 garbage teams, and Maryland who struggled in all 3 games against bad teams as well.

Still seem to get no respect even though we demolished bad teams like a great team is expected to do.

Prediction: 23
We should be: 13

Reaction Score
Where do you think we’ll end up? Seth Davis doesn’t even have us ranked because we “haven’t played a good team”, yet he has Houston who went to OT with Hofstra, OSU at 14 when they could barely beat 2 garbage teams, and Maryland who struggled in all 3 games against bad teams as well.

Still seem to get no respect even though we demolished bad teams like a great team is expected to do.

Prediction: 23
We should be: 13
I think we only move up one spot with the FSU loss to Florida, and we remain in that 20-24 range until we do some damage down in the Bahamas.

Reaction Score
It seems like a lot of people still aren't convinced UConn is back. The elevated talent and depth alone is Top 25 worthy. What jumped out at me Saturday is the number of guys who look comfortable and smooth out there. Sanogo, Gaffney, Akok, Martin, Cole...they all looked confident. Even the last bucket of the game by Springs looked great. A special, deep lineup that needs to show they can do it against the big boys, then people will come around.

It's a great time to be a Huskies fan.

Reaction Score
It seems like a lot of people still aren't convinced UConn is back. The elevated talent and depth alone is Top 25 worthy. What jumped out at me Saturday is the number of guys who look comfortable and smooth out there. Sanogo, Gaffney, Akok, Martin, Cole...they all looked confident. Even the last bucket of the game by Springs looked great. A special, deep lineup that needs to show they can do it against the big boys, then people will come around.

It's a great time to be a Huskies fan.

We don't really know if we have elevated our talent or have depth until we play good teams.

Reaction Score
Eh maybe move up 1 because of the FSU loss. We haven't proven anything yet. If a couple other teams have some good wins I wouldn't be surprised to see us drop out, and that would probably be fair.

If we beat Auburn, then the top-15 consideration is in order.

Reaction Score
We don't really know if we have elevated our talent or have depth until we play good teams.
Not even the homer in me when I say this, but we actually have the deepest front court in the country. Jon Rothstein even said so himself 2 days ago - and he said "it's not even particularly close".

We just demolished 2 bad teams which is what great teams are expected to do. Half the ranked teams this week were struggling to even score any points against crap mid/low majors. We haven't even seen what Hawkins can bring yet, but if he's everything we've been promised, we will be winning the Big East this year.

If you don't think this team is more talented than last year, idk what to tell ya. We added a top 10 recruiting class + Akok, returned BE DPOY and BE 6th man of the year. Sanogo looks like a first team all BE, Cole & Gaff look awesome. Martin looks great.

Reaction Score
Eh maybe move up 1 because of the FSU loss. We haven't proven anything yet. If a couple other teams have some good wins I wouldn't be surprised to see us drop out, and that would probably be fair.

If we haven't proven anything yet then neither have 20 of the other top 25 teams who have played and struggled against cupcakes.

Reaction Score
If we haven't proven anything yet then neither have 20 of the other top 25 teams who have played and struggled against cupcakes.

Yup, which is why there won't be much movement in the top 25. Pretty simple really. This is an odd point to make--it doesn't really refute or support what I said at all.

Reaction Score
I think we see a little movement up. If we win battle 4 Atlantis with a Auburn - mich st/loyola - Baylor path I genuinely think we go top 10.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Not even the homer in me when I say this, but we actually have the deepest front court in the country. Jon Rothstein even said so himself 2 days ago - and he said "it's not even particularly close".

We just demolished 2 bad teams which is what great teams are expected to do. Half the ranked teams this week were struggling to even score any points against crap mid/low majors. We haven't even seen what Hawkins can bring yet, but if he's everything we've been promised, we will be winning the Big East this year.

If you don't think this team is more talented than last year, idk what to tell ya. We added a top 10 recruiting class + Akok, returned BE DPOY and BE 6th man of the year. Sanogo looks like a first team all BE, Cole & Gaff look awesome. Martin looks great.

The team has looked great, but they've looked great against two of the worst teams in college basketball. The team looked great against cupcakes last year and then struggled to score in the halfcourt against good teams -- and we lost our lottery pick guard. I'm not saying we're not good, but I would imagine a lot of national writers want to see us do this against a good team before they're willing to put us up as high as you want to.

Reaction Score
In this case the computer metrics and humans are pretty much aligned, so we're going to be 20-23 almost everywhere.

Reaction Score
The team has looked great, but they've looked great against two of the worst teams in college basketball. The team looked great against cupcakes last year and then struggled to score in the halfcourt against good teams -- and we lost our lottery pick guard. I'm not saying we're not good, but I would imagine a lot of national writers want to see us do this against a good team before they're willing to put us up as high as you want to.
It's funny how many people can't seem to remember anything past 5 minutes ago with this team. Last year we put up 98 on Georgetown in the last regular season game, and 94 against Depaul in the first round of the BE tournament. Both of those teams were way better than who we have played this year, and we blew their doors off. The games were over at the half.

Then we played 2 mid level NCAA tournament teams and scored in the 50's.

My only takeaway from these games is Akok is way healthier.

Reaction Score
No one thinks we’ll pass St Bonnies? They looked really bad last night

Reaction Score

Nobody has proven anything yet, the season just started.

Reaction Score
Yup, which is why there won't be much movement in the top 25. Pretty simple really. This is an odd point to make--it doesn't really refute or support what I said at all.
You said you wouldn't be surprised to see us drop out, that's not how it works.

Reaction Score
It's funny how many people can't seem to remember anything past 5 minutes ago with this team. Last year we put up 98 on Georgetown in the last regular season game, and 94 against Depaul in the first round of the BE tournament. Both of those teams were way better than who we have played this year, and we blew their doors off. The games were over at the half.

Then we played 2 mid level NCAA tournament teams and scored in the 50's.

My only takeaway from these games is Akok is way healthier.
Matchups mattered a lot for the team last year. We absolutely destroyed any teams that played traditional bigs who didn't spread the court with 5 out, and lost to every team that played 5 out. Hopefully that is less the case this year.

Reaction Score
You said you wouldn't be surprised to see us drop out, that's not how it works.

If we're at #24 and somebody ranked say, 25-35 gets a quality win, they could bump us out. They aren't unranking some top 15 team if they haven't had any meaningful games. This isn't that hard to get dude. This is my exact quote:

"If a couple other teams have some good wins I wouldn't be surprised to see us drop out"

IF lower ranked teams get wins and move into the top 25, SOMEONE has to drop out. That's obviously going to be the teams in the 20-25 range if there isn't any other useful games to judge how good they are. Can't believe this is somehow a controversial point. It's common sense.

Do you understand what "if" means? Or what a parameter is? I don't have a clue if any lower ranked teams have a quality win or not. I set a parameter for the argument: IF a lower ranked team gets a quality win, THEN UConn may drop out of the rankings. Saying "well 'if' hasn't happened" is a bad faith argument and irrelevant.

If you want to discuss what lower ranked teams have or have not had quality wins, feel free to. But it's not a relevant point to the premise of my argument.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If we want to do a ranked teams which look unimpressive though, I’ll go first.

Ohio State has not looked like they even deserve to be ranked. They are literally a one man show right now w/ Liddell. Arguably the worst guard play out of the top 25

Reaction Score
If we're at #24 and somebody ranked say, 25-35 gets a quality win, they could bump us out. They aren't unranking some top 15 team if they haven't had any meaningful games. This isn't that hard to get dude. This is my exact quote:

"If a couple other teams have some good wins I wouldn't be surprised to see us drop out"

IF lower ranked teams get wins and move into the top 25, SOMEONE has to drop out. That's obviously going to be the teams in the 20-25 range if there isn't any other useful games to judge how good they are. Can't believe this is somehow a controversial point. It's common sense.
That's not how it works.

JonnyRI

The files are in the computer
Reaction Score
I think we see a little movement up. If we win battle 4 Atlantis with a Auburn - mich st/loyola - Baylor path I genuinely think we go top 10.
That would put us closer to 5 than 10 I think , thinking back to Maui.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom