Week 11 Top 25 Games Jan 24-29 (plus a few others) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Week 11 Top 25 Games Jan 24-29 (plus a few others)

Reaction Score
Who are you stating would lose to Oklahoma? Indiana or Ohio State? Doesn't really matter as OU plays zero defense, and has no reliable down-low post player.
You may have a point. I was thinking tOSU could lose to Okla (or those others) without it really seeming like a shocking upset. Or they could win. I meant that this is their peer group, not the top-5 teams. But IU does look to me like a top-5 team.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Talk about "off games", not only did I add unwanted space between my commentary and then the game llsting, I also forgot to add the Sunday slate of games! Hopefully the masses won't be critiquing my efforts like they did Dorka's....

Anyway, Sunday shows 4 games with both Ranked opponents-Duke@FSU, 'Nova@UConn, ND@NC State and UCLA@Utah.
I added a handful of other notable games like a struggling Louisville at a resurgent Syracuse and a hot USC at Colorado. And for our fine and committed Oregon State Beaver fans their game against Cal.
1674832608856.png

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I hate to irritate our fine and loyal Duke fan @triaddukefan but if VPI wins easily tonight, I think we can fear a similar 2022 collapse as FSU, ND, Miami, VPI again, NC State and NC all await on the schedule. A 10-8 or 11-7 conference record is very possible. Given their current SoS, they would still qualify for the NCAAT but that 17-2 shiny record would slink to 20-7 or 21-6 before the ACC Tournament.

I've said before, this years team is not last years team. No way in heck are we fading like last year. For starters, we play tenacious defense. Looking at the massey numbers, last year we finished 45 in terms of defense. We are currently at 2. This years team is deeper, tougher, and every one is locked in and on the same page in terms of how Lawson wants to play. Coach alluded some of that in her most recent radio show.

We have 9 regular season games left. I expect us to go to Greensboro with a 22-7 record at worst, 24-5 at best. I think winning one game in the tournament will clinch us as a host in the NCAA's.

I repeat. THIS TEAM IS NOT GONNA GO IN THE TANK.

20221214_112542.jpg

Reaction Score
If I may ask, why are you thinking Kennedy Brown showcase with Kitley is worthwhile? Kennedy hasn't really shown up at all this year to be a factor and to now go against the ACC reigning player of the year-not a fair request. To wit:
NameSchoolEfficGPMinFG%3FG%FT%RAsstA-TOPts
KitleyVPI26.11834.456.1%25.0%72.9%11.061.60.72518.7
Brown, KDuke
10.1​
1924.447.3%0.0%76.5%4.681.20.6577.8
I watched the game. KB is not really an offensive threat against another solid BIG like Kitley. However, KB is a very solid defender in the low post, as was evident in the game last night. KB was as responsible as any of the Duke players for the victory last night. Duke is going to be a very tough out in the NCAA Tournament on their defense alone. If Duke's offense continues to improve, watch out.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I watched the game. KB is not really an offensive threat against another solid BIG like Kitley. However, KB is a very solid defender in the low post, as was evident in the game last night. KB was as responsible as any of the Duke players for the victory last night. Duke is going to be a very tough out in the NCAA Tournament on their defense alone. If Duke's offense continues to improve, watch out.

Brown's value does not always show up in the bix score. Last night's defensive effort was impressive overall. Kitley finished 1-9 from the floor. Amoore was like 3-15. Coach Brooks was not happy about the way Duke played defense. It will be interesting to see what adjustments he makes in the return matchup in Blacksburg

Reaction Score
In a match up with WAC implications, Cal Baptist looks to avenge their only loss of the month and are currently leading SFA.

The Lancers got off to a very slow start this season but in a tribute to both coaching and cohesion they've really pulled it together and are picking off the teams ahead of them in the standings. After defeating the Antelopes earlier this month it appears that Cal Baptist will also take down Stephen F Austin putting Cal Baptist in second place one game behind SUU, setting up a big showdown on February 28th in Cedar City.

The Lancers laid 48 on their opponent in the first half and with over half the third quarter gone have hit 11 of 18 threes.

Reaction Score
A few really big games today, games that will sort out who's who, so to speak:

Duke-FSU and ND-NC St in the ACC -- this is the main chance for FSU and NC St to prove they belong in "the conversation."

and in the Pac 12, UCLA-Utah -- they're ranked closely (8-9 in the AP) but each one of them holds the promise to something higher.

Reaction Score
Is this box score correct?

Purdue is 7 of 9 from 3 in the first quarter vs Ohio State? Woah..

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
tOSU suddenly in free fall w/ 3 straight losses. Purdue with a couple big wins recently.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
And NC State gets a big win against Notre Dame. This ACC race could get interesting down the back stretch.

Reaction Score
I've said before, this years team is not last years team. No way in heck are we fading like last year. For starters, we play tenacious defense. Looking at the massey numbers, last year we finished 45 in terms of defense. We are currently at 2. This years team is deeper, tougher, and every one is locked in and on the same page in terms of how Lawson wants to play. Coach alluded some of that in her most recent radio show.

We have 9 regular season games left. I expect us to go to Greensboro with a 22-7 record at worst, 24-5 at best. I think winning one game in the tournament will clinch us as a host in the NCAA's.

I repeat. THIS TEAM IS NOT GONNA GO IN THE TANK.

View attachment 83521

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
tOSU suddenly in free fall w/ 3 straight losses. Purdue with a couple big wins recently.
Just checking their schedule, what looked like a decent OOC with TN ranked 5 and Louisville ranked 18 and then Oregon ranked 18 no longer looks so special with all three out of the rankings now. It leaves them with only one win against a currently ranked team - Michigan at #13.

Last edited:

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Former UConn scholie offer finalist Paulina Paris having a huge game for North Carolina today. She has six 3's and 20 points with 5 steals.

Reaction Score
At this point in the season, the 20+ games point, the polls mean nothing and it's all about NET. Right now, even most of today's losers are still likely on the top 4 lines of the S curve. Arizona and UCLA fell out of the top 25, but they can probably still manage a #7 or #8 seed

Reaction Score
Does Utah move up to a 2 seed and Oregon move up from a 7 seed to a 6 seed? Oregon’s Net before today was a 14, but Charlie had them as a 7 seed on Friday.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Does Utah move up to a 2 seed and Oregon move up from a 7 seed to a 6 seed? Oregon’s Net before today was a 14, but Charlie had them as a 7 seed on Friday.
Why do the computers love Oregon so much every year? They are 5-5 in conference, they are mediocre. 2 years ago I couldn't figure out why all the formulas had them ranked so high as they kept losing to every good team they played. It's weird.

Reaction Score
Why do the computers love Oregon so much every year? They are 5-5 in conference, they are mediocre. 2 years ago I couldn't figure out why all the formulas had them ranked so high as they kept losing to every good team they played. It's weird.
Net ranking is only one of 14 factors the committee takes into account when seeding teams. That is why Charlie is seeding Oregon as a 7 seed even though the Net has them ranked 14.

Reaction Score
I think it’s more complicated than just a bunch of factors. NET is the primary factor, but it is a crude instrument early in the season because of the way it calculates SoS. But late in the season it becomes much more precise. For example, LSU has a high NET ranking that is probably not an accurate measure of how good they are as a team. By the end of February, however, NET rankings will give a better picture of team quality.

Charlie departs from NET now because it isn’t accurate enough yet. So he supplements it with “eye test” judgments. Even so, he still has LSU as a #2 seed which strikes me as too high. When the committee makes its final decisions, they are not required to follow NET exclusively. But this tool will be accurate enough that it won’t be as necessary to supplement it as it is now. Also, the main motivation for looking beyond NET is because geographic considerations (like not placing too many teams from one conference in the same region or sub-region) will require it.

Reaction Score
I second your question. They have only won two games against Quad one teams. They have lost 6 games. That gives them a dismal minus four Quad one record. They do not deserve to be ranked.

By contrast, Columbia U has 5 wins against Quad One teams and only 3 losses. For a plus 2 quad 1 record. They are not top 25 in any ranking

Reaction Score
If I wanted to be sarcastic, I would say the Net is giving Oregon sympathy points for not hanging a banner for finishing #1 in the Massey in 2020;).

AP had Oregon unranked last week, coaches had them ranked 23rd, but this morning the Net still has Oregon ranked 14th and Massey has them ranked 20th. Charlie had them a 7 seed last Friday. Some folks still like RPI, which moved Oregon up from 35 to 34 after their loss yesterday.

Though RealTimeRPI has Oregon at 34 and Warren Nolan’s calculation of RPI has them at 43, so what is the real RPI?

Some folks claim the Big East is just as strong as the PAC12 this year, but the Net has the PAC ranked 1 and the Big East is 6th according to Nolan.

Someone claimed yesterday the polls mean nothing and it’s all about Net now. I’m just trying to point out Net is probably the starting point the committee uses as a first sort, but the other 13 factors they use are needed to have more accurate seedings. A system that treats a win against the 29th ranked team the same as one against the 3rd ranked team is imperfect.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Someone claimed yesterday the polls mean nothing and it’s all about Net now. I’m just trying to point out Net is probably the starting point the committee uses as a first sort, but the other 13 factors they use are needed to have more accurate seedlings. A system that treats a win against the 29th ranked team the same as one against the 3rd ranked team is imperfect.
That was me, and I share your doubts about NET, and your sense of the need for other factors. It is imperfect. But it is the primary tool they use, as I read the “rule book.” You could call that “the starting point,” but if the committee departs too far from it, they risk being accused of partiality.

On the other hand, they have to depart from it, not because it’s imperfect, but because the seedings are not simply about rankings. They have to avoid matching conference opponents against each other too soon, and avoid geographic problems. I think — just guessing here — this is their primary reason for introducing other measures, including the dreaded “eye test.”

Also, imperfect as NET seems now, it will seem less so at the end of February. LSU will have found a spot somewhat more plausible and closer to reality in the NET by then.

Last season, the committee had UConn as a #2 seed in the Hartford region. This was a compromise (lower seed, home region) between their likely suspicion that we were better than appearances up to that moment, and the more real accomplishments of a team like NC St. Events showed this to be a reasonable compromise. A sign of it is how much complaining about it there was on all sides afterwards.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
UConn was definitely a problem for the committee last year. Everyone knew UConn was likely a #1 seed, but Paige hadn’t played enough to know how much she would contribute. This year UConn’s record compared to other teams should get then the #2 or #3 #1 seed.

Though, there is analysis that in the NBA the home court advantage is 2.16 to 4.25 points. Does UConn make it to the Final Four last year if they play NC State in Spokane or Wichita?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom