Week 11 Top 25 Games Jan 24-29 (plus a few others) | The Boneyard

Week 11 Top 25 Games Jan 24-29 (plus a few others)

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Below is the list of games this week featuring Top 25 teams. As Tues is a dud of a day, I did add the 1 game of mild interest. I also added a couple other Big East games this week. My thread, my prerogative. I am sorry I didn't post yesterday as I had to finish my real work to enable me to make it to Storrs for last night's beatdown of DePaul. :cool: There are 6 games this week featuring rank vs. rank, headlined by Wed #2 tOSU at #6 Indiana.

RKTuesday-Jan 24TimeNetwork
Creighton@ Providence7:00 PM
Wednesday-Jan 25
18 Iowa State@ TCU7:30 PMBIG12|ESPN+
14 Oklahoma@ Texas8:00 PMLHN
Thursday-Jan 26
15 North Carolina@ Pittsburgh6:00 PMACCNX
RK13 Michigan@ 10 Maryland6:30 PM
Florida Atlantic@ 23 Middle Tennessee7:00 PMESPN+
RK12 Virginia Tech@ 16 Duke8:00 PMACCN
RK24 Florida State@ 7 Notre Dame8:00 PMACCNX
5 UConn@ Tennessee8:00 PMESPN
Purdue@ 22 Illinois8:00 PM
RK2 Ohio State@ 6 Indiana8:30 PM
Loyola Marymount@ 17 Gonzaga9:00 PM
Friday-Jan 27
RK8 UCLA@ 25 Colorado9:00 PM
USC@ 9 Utah9:00 PM
Washington@ 19 Arizona9:00 PM
Oregon State@ 3 Stanford11:00 PM
Saturday-Jan 28
Nebraska@ 10 Iowa1:00 PM
DePaul@ Seton Hall1:00 PM
Florida International@ 23 Middle Tennessee2:00 PMESPN+
Yale@ Princeton2:00 PMESPN+
RK14 Oklahoma@ 18 Iowa State4:00 PMBIG12|ESPN+
Pepperdine@ 17 Gonzaga5:00 PM

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
That thursday night 8pm-830 slot is overloaded. Too bad they couldn't have spread things out some.
Yes, I'll have to be platform/channel surfing between two screens to keep up with excellent contests.
Thx @DefenseBB for helping us keep track!

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
Yes, I'll have to be platform/channel surfing between two screens to keep up with excellent contests.
Thx @DefenseBB for helping us keep track!
Hey, I just updated the AA-POY stats and added Olivia Miles who has leapfrogged Latson in Efficiency rating! She's second in the ACC behing Kitley (26.1)

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
For many years, as ACC WCBB was improving and all three Triangle teams sported competitive teams, I always wished some of the Thursday night games played would be televised. It wasn't so long ago that it was rare for WCBB to be aired on TV other than on weekends.

Now...we get today, and 5 really intriguing matchups, all broadcast at the same time or overlapping. My, how times have changed...and for the better!

Reaction Score
Va Tech —Duke should be a good game and an excellent showcase for Kennedy Brown. Can she matchup and produce against Kitley? Lots of other good matchups up and down the lineup for both teams. And the wildcard is how well Owusu is playing. But I like Duke in this one.

Reaction Score
I suspect IU will beat tOSU. If Czinano could outplay Mikulasikova, I’m sure Holmes can, too. And the IU guard corps is comparable to Iowa’s.
Mikulasikova...in her defense had to keep leaving Czinano because OSU guards kept getting beat. Not to mention Czinano had to play very little D since Mikulasikova only got 4 shots and made 3. The other OSU bigs...Thierry and McMahon had a field day. OSU guards completely owned that loss to Iowa with too many 3s (frosty) and sub par defense.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Mikulasikova...in her defense had to keep leaving Czinano because OSU guards kept getting beat. Not to mention Czinano had to play very little D since Mikulasikova only got 4 shots and made 3. The other OSU bigs...Thierry and McMahon had a field day. OSU guards completely owned that loss to Iowa with too many 3s (frosty) and sub par defense.
I was surprised by OSU's performance that game, given that the Buckeyes had beaten Iowa four straight times. On one hand, Sheldon was not available and I believe she is the proverbial straw to OSU's drink, but Mikesell and Harris were just off-kilter in all respects. Thierry and McMahon kept them close.

There's a lot of IU options to chase for OSU tonight, from Holmes to Scalia and the new IU utility player, Parrish. And then, after all that, Berger is ready to take care of business. Tough challenge.

Reaction Score
I was surprised by OSU's performance that game, given that the Buckeyes had beaten Iowa four straight times. On one hand, Sheldon was not available and I believe she is the proverbial straw to OSU's drink, but Mikesell and Harris were just off-kilter in all respects. Thierry and McMahon kept them close.

There's a lot of IU options to chase for OSU tonight, from Holmes to Scalia and the new IU utility player, Parrish. And then, after all that, Berger is ready to take care of business. Tough challenge.
Yea...this is a toss-up game for me. Have no idea who wins.

Reaction Score
I take your points. But I can’t help thinking Czinano had 4 fouls because she was playing some D. And Stuelke played really well when Czinano has to sit. Similarly, tOSU guards shot poorly because of the Iowa pressure. I don’t want to steal any credit from Iowa and especially Clark. She was everywhere on the court practically scoring at will. She’s not my favorite player, but when she’s on, she’s arguably the best in the land. That puts a lot of pressure on the opposing guards, both to defend her (good luck) and to match her production. They crumbled under that pressure. It also didn’t help that Iowa is not an easy team to press and that’s a good bit of tOSO’s game.

For her part, McMahon is an impressive freshman. She’s exceeded expectations and seems to have chosen a program that suits her well.

In the end, though, I think neither team will make the final four. tOSU has been overrated much of the season, though they’ve played really well, even a bit above their heads. These are two really evenly matched teams.

Reaction Score
I take your points. But I can’t help thinking Czinano had 4 fouls because she was playing some D. And Stuelke played really well when Czinano has to sit. Similarly, tOSU guards shot poorly because of the Iowa pressure. I don’t want to steal any credit from Iowa and especially Clark. She was everywhere on the court practically scoring at will. She’s not my favorite player, but when she’s on, she’s arguably the best in the land. That puts a lot of pressure on the opposing guards, both to defend her (good luck) and to match her production. They crumbled under that pressure. It also didn’t help that Iowa is not an easy team to press and that’s a good bit of tOSO’s game.

For her part, McMahon is an impressive freshman. She’s exceeded expectations and seems to have chosen a program that suits her well.

In the end, though, I think neither team will make the final four. tOSU has been overrated much of the season, though they’ve played really well, even a bit above their heads. These are two really evenly matched teams.
She was playing D trying to help on Thiery and McMahon.

Reaction Score

Iowa has given up almost 30 turnovers to Michigan State (20) and OSU (17) who both like to press. OSU did what they needed to defensively with respect to pressure in my opinion. They didn't capitalize like they normally do is what I gathered from watching the game.

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
Indiana's defense is much stronger than Iowa's and Holmes will eat Rebecca's lunch and take whatever snack money she has left over. The only concern that Indiana has is to keep Holmes out of foul trouble. Remember, this game is AT INDIANA so I expect a good crowd and tOSU second loss. That doesn't mean that tOSU is not good, just that Indiana at home is better.

Reaction Score
Iowa has given up almost 30 turnovers to Michigan State (20) and OSU (17) who both like to press. OSU did what they needed to defensively with respect to pressure in my opinion. They didn't capitalize like they normally do is what I gathered from watching the game.
I can watch it again this afternoon, as a palate cleanser for the main event. But I didn't notice the press affecting Iowa much when I first watched it. I'll keep my eyes open more this time.

Indiana's defense is much stronger than Iowa's and Holmes will eat Rebecca's lunch and take whatever snack money she has left over. The only concern that Indiana has is to keep Holmes out of foul trouble. Remember, this game is AT INDIANA so I expect a good crowd and tOSU second loss. That doesn't mean that tOSU is not good, just that Indiana at home is better.
I agree. Both good teams, but IU is better... I'd say anywhere, not just at home.

Forecasting a bit, it won't surprise me to see IU make it to the Final Four. But if tOSU makes it that far I will be surprised. Just looking at Creme's latest bracket (lol) with both of them as #1 seeds -- that won't last -- but even accepting that guess, they would probably lose to any of ND, Utah, Okla or FSU and I wouldn't call those upsets. By contrast, in Creme's bracket again, only LSU looks like a real threat to IU. Anything else would be an upset, which is not impossible, of course.

In short, a #1 or #2 seed makes sense to me for IU, but tOSU looks more like a #3 or a #4 seed.

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
Va Tech —Duke should be a good game and an excellent showcase for Kennedy Brown. Can she matchup and produce against Kitley? Lots of other good matchups up and down the lineup for both teams. And the wildcard is how well Owusu is playing. But I like Duke in this one.
If I may ask, why are you thinking Kennedy Brown showcase with Kitley is worthwhile? Kennedy hasn't really shown up at all this year to be a factor and to now go against the ACC reigning player of the year-not a fair request. To wit:
NameSchoolEfficGPMinFG%3FG%FT%RAsstA-TOPts
KitleyVPI26.11834.456.1%25.0%72.9%11.061.60.72518.7
Brown, KDuke
10.1​
1924.447.3%0.0%76.5%4.681.20.6577.8

Reaction Score

I’ve watched Ohio State closely this year and Thierry and McMahon have been the stories of the season for the Buckeyes. They’ve individually and collectively won them a handful of games they’d otherwise have lost. McMahon in particular looks like a future pro to me.

Reaction Score
If I may ask, why are you thinking Kennedy Brown showcase with Kitley is worthwhile? Kennedy hasn't really shown up at all this year to be a factor and to now go against the ACC reigning player of the year-not a fair request. To wit:
NameSchoolEfficGPMinFG%3FG%FT%RAsstA-TOPts
KitleyVPI26.11834.456.1%25.0%72.9%11.061.60.72518.7
Brown, KDuke
10.1​
1924.447.3%0.0%76.5%4.681.20.6577.8
That's exactly what the stat line shows. Which means for Brown, this is a moment to showcase her talents, show the world what she's got. Maybe she's not strong enough to dominate Kitley, though she's certainly tall enough. But maybe this is the night she comes out of her shell. Players live for opportunities like this. And if Duke is going anywhere in the tournament, they need Brown to step up.

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
That's exactly what the stat line shows. Which means for Brown, this is a moment to showcase her talents, show the world what she's got. Maybe she's not strong enough to dominate Kitley, though she's certainly tall enough. But maybe this is the night she comes out of her shell. Players live for opportunities like this. And if Duke is going anywhere in the tournament, they need Brown to step up.
My point is, she hasn't shown that ability at all in 19 games this year, so why would this game be any different? She has gone up against other centers this year and not exactly outperformed any of them. What are you seeing or thinking that I am not? To me, she's been a bit of a bust for Duke considering her OSU experience.

Reaction Score
My point is, she hasn't shown that ability at all in 19 games this year, so why would this game be any different? She has gone up against other centers this year and not exactly outperformed any of them. What are you seeing or thinking that I am not? To me, she's been a bit of a bust for Duke considering her OSU experience.
Don't worry. I'm not seeing anything new in her. Your assessment of what she's done so far is just right.

But this strikes me as the moment in Duke's season when "the rubber meets the road," or "time to put up or shut up." They took a hard loss to UNC, and they need to bounce back now in order to get ready for March. If they get another beatdown, it may be hard for them to bounce back in time. And that means it can't just be Taylor, Balogun, and Day-Lewis. Brown needs to step up if Duke is going to accomplish anything great this season.

What do I think the odds of Brown accomplishing this are? Not high. But if there was ever a moment for her to discover a "beast mode" this is it.

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
I hate to irritate our fine and loyal Duke fan @triaddukefan but if VPI wins easily tonight, I think we can fear a similar 2022 collapse as FSU, ND, Miami, VPI again, NC State and NC all await on the schedule. A 10-8 or 11-7 conference record is very possible. Given their current SoS, they would still qualify for the NCAAT but that 17-2 shiny record would slink to 20-7 or 21-6 before the ACC Tournament.

Reaction Score
I can watch it again this afternoon, as a palate cleanser for the main event. But I didn't notice the press affecting Iowa much when I first watched it. I'll keep my eyes open more this time.

I agree. Both good teams, but IU is better... I'd say anywhere, not just at home.

Forecasting a bit, it won't surprise me to see IU make it to the Final Four. But if tOSU makes it that far I will be surprised. Just looking at Creme's latest bracket (lol) with both of them as #1 seeds -- that won't last -- but even accepting that guess, they would probably lose to any of ND, Utah, Okla or FSU and I wouldn't call those upsets. By contrast, in Creme's bracket again, only LSU looks like a real threat to IU. Anything else would be an upset, which is not impossible, of course.

In short, a #1 or #2 seed makes sense to me for IU, but tOSU looks more like a #3 or a #4 seed.
Pressing is more than just making it difficult to cross half court to get into their offense. Rushing a team into bad decisions is also a desired result. Iowa hasn't been prone to turnovers for most of the season, maybe averaging 10 a game. Turning it over 20 times in a half court offense is very unusual, for a team like Iowa.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Pressing is more than just making it difficult to cross half court to get into their offense. Rushing a team into bad decisions is also a desired result. Iowa hasn't been prone to turnovers for most of the season, maybe averaging 10 a game. Turning it over 20 times in a half court offense is very unusual, for a team like Iowa.
I agree, though the other oddity is that tOSU only got 13 pts off 17 TOs. That also seems a bit low for them. Also, iirc, Iowa blew them out in the 2nd and 4th quarters. tOSU made a furious comeback in the 3rd, and I imagine (just a guess) this is when many of the TOs and pts off TOs happened. In the 3rd, Iowa shot <30% I think, and couldn't buy a 3 pointer. That seems to be when they really felt the pressure, as you suggest. But otherwise, they shot really well. I'm heading home now, so I'll be watching the game this evening, either before or after the main event, so I'll get to see if my guess is right.

Reaction Score
Ok, I've re-watched the Iowa-tOSU game, and I can now confidently say that pressing turnovers were definitely not the primary issue, or worse, the press may have been the reason tOSU lost. In the 1st quarter, tOSU pressed after every made basket and did get a few steals, but the overall turnover difference wasn't all that great. It was a 1 point game at the end of the quarter. And there was a downside as well: in the 2nd quarter tOSU looked tired, and no longer pressed after makes. As a result, Iowa outscored them 20-10.

tOSU made a furious comeback in the 3rd quarter outscoring Iowa 20-13 and closing the gap to 2. Czinano picked up her 3rd and 4th fouls and ended up sitting quite a bit. After they traded runs in the first 5 mins tOSU was able to press again and Iowa didn't score at all. They shot <30% in this quarter, and Clark had to score most of their points. It was Iowa's turn to look tired.

In the 4th quarter, tOSU looked tired again, retreated into a pretty passive zone in the half court defense, and committed several fatigue fouls and Iowa shot the lights out, outscoring them 27-18. The few times they tried to press, Clark beat it and Iowa got easy scores.

The press was effective for as long as tOSU was able to sustain it. But the cost to them was high, exhausting them each time. I like the concept of their team -- the scrappy pressing D and uptempo transition offense. But I don't think they have the athletes to run it against top-tier talent, which is also what the loss to IU shows pretty clearly. If it exhausts them, do they have a half court offense they can fall back on? Mikulasikova and McMahon have been that earlier in the season. But against Iowa or IU -- and other top ten teams, I expect, they will not be enough.

Mikulasikova played well in the first half, getting all 8 of her points and her only rebound. In the second half, she had nothing left and got no points no rebounds. By contrast, Czinano ended up with 22 pts 4 rebounds playing roughly the same minutes. Czinano's number are not a fluke, but Mikulasikova's were -- and it's difficult not to attribute this to the stiffer competition than what she usually faces.

Also, consider this comparison: Mikesell 12 points 2 Reb 1 assists vs Clark with 28, 15, 10. Is it unfair to compare Mikesell to Clark? in a sense, yes. But that's the point -- the Iowa guards are just better, even playing without Warnock, and there's no one else besides Mikesell to compare to Clark.

The bright spot for tOSU is McMahon, who is a substantial talent, though she may not be ready to carry a team yet. She still makes freshman mistakes at key moments. The future looks bright for her, but I don't think she can save this team this year.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score

Who are you stating would lose to Oklahoma? Indiana or Ohio State? Doesn't really matter as OU plays zero defense, and has no reliable down-low post player.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom