Week 10 preview (Jan. 10-16) | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Week 10 preview (Jan. 10-16)

Reaction Score
6'3'' Husker freshman (2021 Nebraska Gatorade POY) Alexis Markowski is the real deal! 4 for 4 from threeland in the first quarter!

Reaction Score
You betcha!!!!

Huskers begin 2nd half with 4 three's.

Current foul tally. Huskers 18 - Hawkeyes 2.

Huskers announcers are high energy, animated and fun to hear.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Can't see the Mich/Maryland game but wow. The Terps have 8 FG and 11 TO and are getting trashed at home.
You beat a street ball team by not letting them play street ball. Michigan showed poise against Maryland's defense, running the shot clock under ten almost every time down the floor. Well played.

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
The team's bus didnt leave until a few hours ago. Not sure which way they took, as I saw that some of the main routes to Raleigh were closed.

In terms of NC... alot of times it varies by which part of the state you are in. Part of the problem with predictions here is sometimes warm air aloft gets in the mix and turns the snow into freezing rain. Its 20 degrees here, but its about 38 degrees about 5,000 feet above.. so as we got snow this morning... we are now getting freezing rain and sleet. Looking at the weather map.. going westward... its raining in Raleigh, .. there is a mix of sleet, snow, and freezing rain in durham, its snowing in Burlington, and here in Greensboro its a mix of snow, sleet, and freezing rain. Mind you all this difference is taking place over a 60 mile stretch of highway. They have treated the roads here in the Triad for the past four days or so. The problem in VA the other week was that they couldn't pre-treat the roads because the storm came in with all rain... then turned to snow.... and it was alot more snow then predicted.

The last time we got measurable snow fall here was in Dec of 2018..... we got a foot of snow on a Sunday. The highway and main roads were driveable the next day... but the secondary and neighborhood roads were a mess for most of the week. One thing about that week... was it snowed... and the temps were in the teens.. so the snow had a hard time melting. Alot of times it snows.... and the snow has melted the next day... or even by the afternoon.

My plan was to get up this morning about six and go to the store to get some bologna, dr pepper, and candles, and celery. But alas, I didnt wake up until after 11.... so the roads are bad outside, and I am not sure the grocery stores are even open.
This was my back yard this morning. Biggest snowfall here since February of 2014.

61e4428138bb36.99315189.png

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
You beat a street ball team by not letting them play street ball. Michigan showed poise against Maryland's defense, running the shot clock under ten almost every time down the floor. Well played.

I don't doubt you, but that still doesn't explain Maryland's total ineptness on the other side of the ball.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Iowa beats Nebraska 93-83. Foul differential 28-7 and FTs 34-8. That's shameful. I really wasn't pulling for one team or the other, so I have no bias here. I hate the way refs can have such a massive impact on a game. Just ridiculous.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Czinano and Clark both scored 31, triple double for Caitlin. Markowski w/ 27 for Nebraska.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Clark had 4 steals and 2 blocks in addition to everything else.

Reaction Score
Today, a well-disciplined TEAM beat the pants off of another team. In my view Maryland is perennially over ranked. And Michigan, like Indiana, is a mature team, that understands teamwork, and plays very hard nosed defense.

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
Today was NC State's Wes Moore's 1000th game as a collegiate coach. He has a record of 764-236.

Reaction Score
I don't doubt you, but that still doesn't explain Maryland's total ineptness on the other side of the ball.
I think Michigan trapping or doubling the ballhandler off screens and then recovering well to defend the first pass had a lot to do with that. They also made shots so Maryland couldn't get out in transition. I've seen Maryland play a few times and they seem to be a one-dimensional team. They have a lot of talent. I really didn't think Michigan would have been able to do what they did today especially with Naz Hillman not scoring until well into the 2nd quarter, but they did.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Gutty win for Indiana. Already down 2 starters, they lost a third in overtime. Berger was money down the stretch of the game.
Man, that was an exciting game. Grace Berger should really be better-known than she is. I'll be surprised if she's not drafted; a big guard with a great basketball IQ.

Grace Waggoner, who doesn't get much playing time, also made a couple of good plays down the stretch. She's a great story -- wanted to go to IU, but wasn't offered. Had made a verbal to another school, then earned an academic scholarship to any Indiana state school. So she's on a full scholarship to IU without having to take up a scholly on the basketball team.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Today, a well-disciplined TEAM beat the pants off of another team. In my view Maryland is perennially over ranked. And Michigan, like Indiana, is a mature team, that understands teamwork, and plays very hard nosed defense.
Maryland now 1-5 against ranked teams. This may be why Brenda usually schedules only cupcakes out of conference.

undersized

Iowa/Indiana/Big Ten Fan
Reaction Score
Man, that was an exciting game. Grace Berger should really be better-known than she is. I'll be surprised if she's not drafted; a big guard with a great basketball IQ.

Grace Waggoner, who doesn't get much playing time, also made a couple of good plays down the stretch. She's a great story -- wanted to go to IU, but wasn't offered. Had made a verbal to another school, then earned an academic scholarship to any Indiana state school. So she's on a full scholarship to IU without having to take up a scholly on the basketball team.
Update to your story: Grace Waggoner was put on a basketball scholarship this season.

Reaction Score
I think Michigan trapping or doubling the ballhandler off screens and then recovering well to defend the first pass had a lot to do with that. They also made shots so Maryland couldn't get out in transition. I've seen Maryland play a few times and they seem to be a one-dimensional team. They have a lot of talent. I really didn't think Michigan would have been able to do what they did today especially with Naz Hillman not scoring until well into the 2nd quarter, but they did.
Texas last year and now Indiana and Michigan showed the country the blueprint to beating Maryland. Slow down the game down and use all the shot clock. Offensive rebounding and shot making keep the Terps from running. I'm predicting Maryland will have double digit losses this season.

Reaction Score

Michigan's scoring is a lot more balanced in comparison to previous seasons. Kizer has made a large impact. Phelia has impressed as a freshman. Nolan, while streaky, can knock down 3s giving some range.

This wasn't the case last season. Teams can't just focus on Brown and Hillmon to shut the them down like before.

Reaction Score
This has been a disappointing season for Brenda, but Maryland almost won in Indiana in Diamond Miller's first real game back in a few backs. Also, there wasn't a lot of "hard-nosed defense" by Michigan when Maryland destroyed them in Ann Arbor last year.

I still think Maryland can turn things around like they did two years ago. Just need to find a toehold defensively.

undersized

Iowa/Indiana/Big Ten Fan
Reaction Score
This has been a disappointing season for Brenda, but Maryland almost won in Indiana in Diamond Miller's first real game back in a few backs. Also, there wasn't a lot of "hard-nosed defense" by Michigan when Maryland destroyed them in Ann Arbor last year.

I still think Maryland can turn things around like they did two years ago. Just need to find a toehold defensively.
For sure. A few disappointing results thus doesn't negate the fact that they are still an incredibly dangerous matchup for pretty much any team!

Reaction Score

Defense has been a weakness, but their shooting hasn't been what we're typically used to.

I can't remember the last time I've seen Owusu with 5 shot attempts for a full game. And Rebecca's Lobo's observation about Angel Reese needing to work on her finishes was a good point.
For sure. A few disappointing results thus doesn't negate the fact that they are still an incredibly dangerous matchup for pretty much any team!
The season is far from over, especially in the Big 10. We're only halfway through conference play from what I can tell. If they get their focus back on track, they could be very dangerous if they're in sync as a team.

Reaction Score
I can't remember the last time I've seen Owusu with 5 shot attempts for a full game. And Rebecca's Lobo's observation about Angel Reese needing to work on her finishes was a good point.
Heh, Owusu rarely shoots fewer than 10X a game, so maybe you've just caught her on weird days.

Agreed about Reese. She got chased down by Hillmon yesterday on a fast break (no shame), but didn't even give herself a chance to get the ball up because she shot from her hip. It's strange that someone so fluid has such a herky-jerky layup.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Well we don't have the Jan 17-23 thread up yet, so I'll put it here. Oregon St. finally gets a decent win. Beat Colorado 69-66 in OT. CU and Arizona were among the last unbeatens, but both have picked up 2 L's quickly in conference.

OT was ugly. Only 2 points for each team for more than 4 1/2 minutes. But OSU got the game winner on a kick out 3 for TVO off an O board for Mitrovic.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Well we don't have the Jan 17-23 thread up yet, so I'll put it here. Oregon St. finally gets a decent win. Beat Colorado 69-66 in OT. CU and Arizona were among the last unbeatens, but both have picked up 2 L's quickly in conference.

OT was ugly. Only 2 points for each team for more than 4 1/2 minutes. But OSU got the game winner on a kick out 3 for TVO off an O board for Mitrovic.
glad to hear OSU pulled it out. I was watching on the live stream and, with 10 seconds left in regulation, it kept looping back to midway through the third, so I gave up, assuming Colo was going to win up and with the ball.

And boy do I hate Colorado's style of play. I almost wished they'd called the flagrant on Sherrod when she mauled Adams on the fast break, just to send a message to JR Payne to keep her players in check. The risk of injury always feels so much higher playing against Colorado...

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
glad to hear OSU pulled it out. I was watching on the live stream and, with 10 seconds left in regulation, it kept looping back to midway through the third, so I gave up, assuming Colo was going to win up and with the ball.

And boy do I hate Colorado's style of play. I almost wished they'd called the flagrant on Sherrod when she mauled Adams on the fast break, just to send a message to JR Payne to keep her players in check. The risk of injury always feels so much higher playing against Colorado...
Both teams had plenty of chances to win this game that they didn't take advantage of. Finally Oregon St. did.

I've never been a fan of Sherrod. Looks like she had a great pair of games against the LA schools, but now has been completely M.I.A. against both Stanford and OSU. I just don't think she's the PG that is gonna lead to CU on to bigger and better things. Hollingshed had a tough start, eventually ended up w/ a decent game, but not one of her best. Is it possible that Colorado's best player is actually Quay Miller? Who woulda thunk that?

Reaction Score
Attended the OSU game today. It looked like curtains for OSU again, but some stellar individual plays late in Q4, and then in the OT saved OSU from another heartbreaking loss. Multiple times OSU had 3 freshmen on the floor, and they are playing well minus some unassisted freshmen turnovers. No games in the PAC-12 are easy. Colorado will be in every game they play in the PAC-12. After watching the Colorado vs Stanford game, I thought Colorado would press OSU to death like Arizona did against OSU. OSU handled Colorado's pressure very well today, but for some freshmen silly turnovers, OSU is on a positive trajectory right now.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom