Week 10 preview (Jan. 10-16) | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Week 10 preview (Jan. 10-16)

Reaction Score
How bad is it actually? It's pretty cold here (0 F), but how the winter weather affects areas like NC and parts Virginia confuse me.

An hour drive would not seem to be too bad. What am I missing?
I can assure you that Carolinians have no idea how to drive in snow but the team is already there.

Reaction Score
I can assure you that Carolinians have no idea how to drive in snow but the team is already there.
I would have assumed they made the trip the day before. I didn't think teams travelled the same day if they could avoid having to.

Reaction Score
How bad is it actually? It's pretty cold here (0 F), but how the winter weather affects areas like NC and parts Virginia confuse me.

2 problems in the South:
Lots of accidents Bc folks don’t know how to drive in snow AND
Snow piles up much faster since there are like 5 plows for the entire region

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
2 problems in the South:
Lots of accidents Bc folks don’t know how to drive in snow AND
Snow piles up much faster since there are like 5 plows for the entire region
I moved to Virginia from Maine. In addition to the culture shock, the complete inability to handle snow totally baffled me. For an area with about 100,000 people and 800 square miles, they had two snow plows. They got a grant to improve their ability to handle snow. They could buy two more plows or 10 spreaders (or 1 and 5). They went with the spreaders. I lived in an apartment complex that was on the side of a hill. They had two plows for the parking lot. They broke both plows not lifting them for the speed bumps, so they didn't plow for the rest of the winter that year.

In my time in Virginia, we got more snow than my folks got in Connecticut, so it's not like snow was something really unusual.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Yeah that’s a tough 25 miles ( that the team travelled yesterday)

The team's bus didnt leave until a few hours ago. Not sure which way they took, as I saw that some of the main routes to Raleigh were closed.

In terms of NC... alot of times it varies by which part of the state you are in. Part of the problem with predictions here is sometimes warm air aloft gets in the mix and turns the snow into freezing rain. Its 20 degrees here, but its about 38 degrees about 5,000 feet above.. so as we got snow this morning... we are now getting freezing rain and sleet. Looking at the weather map.. going westward... its raining in Raleigh, .. there is a mix of sleet, snow, and freezing rain in durham, its snowing in Burlington, and here in Greensboro its a mix of snow, sleet, and freezing rain. Mind you all this difference is taking place over a 60 mile stretch of highway. They have treated the roads here in the Triad for the past four days or so. The problem in VA the other week was that they couldn't pre-treat the roads because the storm came in with all rain... then turned to snow.... and it was alot more snow then predicted.

The last time we got measurable snow fall here was in Dec of 2018..... we got a foot of snow on a Sunday. The highway and main roads were driveable the next day... but the secondary and neighborhood roads were a mess for most of the week. One thing about that week... was it snowed... and the temps were in the teens.. so the snow had a hard time melting. Alot of times it snows.... and the snow has melted the next day... or even by the afternoon.

My plan was to get up this morning about six and go to the store to get some bologna, dr pepper, and candles, and celery. But alas, I didnt wake up until after 11.... so the roads are bad outside, and I am not sure the grocery stores are even open.

Reaction Score
My plan was to get up this morning about six and go to the store to get some bologna, dr pepper, and candles, and celery. But alas, I didnt wake up until after 11.... so the roads are bad outside, and I am not sure the grocery stores are even open.
You arent always stocked with Dr Pepper?

Reaction Score
Stanford and Indiana both trail at the half to weak opponents !

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
The basketball day is off to a good start.. good job ND.

You arent always stocked with Dr Pepper?

I don't drink sodas much, but I stopped an got a can of dr pepper yesterday.... and thought to myself... I should go get another one.. but its too late now.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

Wearing all black today..... that's what you would wear to a funeral or during a period of mourning... I don't like this one bit

:oops::oops::(:(:(

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score

Wearing all black today..... that's what you would wear to a funeral or during a period of mourning... I don't like this one bit

I dunno -- Geno wore all black yesterday, he said it was "To match my soul."

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
download.jpeg

Reaction Score

Haven't they won in all black already? I thought it was the greys that were to be burned?

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Haven't they won in all black already? I thought it was the greys that were to be burned?

Might have to burn some more jerseys in a couple of hours... we will see.

Im sure we have worn black already, my memory aint what it used to be. I prefer the traditional blue.... best jerseys in WCBB

Reaction Score
Might have to burn some more jerseys in a couple of hours... we will see.

Im sure we have worn black already, my memory aint what it used to be. I prefer the traditional blue.... best jerseys in WCBB
I agree re traditional blue. It just seems to be the right colour.

Reaction Score
Purdue blew a 6 point lead with 1:03 to go. Almost lost, but now in OT.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Not sure if I should watch this Duke-State game... or go out and shovel snow and clean off the car before it gets dark. Decisions decisions

Reaction Score
Stanford closes on 23-10 run to beat Utah 83-73.
Card escapes from the Rockies with two comeback wins.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Stanford beat Utah by 10 after trailing at the half. Looks like Brink had her best game for quite a while--24 pts/11 reb. Lexie had 21. Wilson has been making a bigger impact lately, she had 12 off the bench.

Jenna Johnson led the Utes w/ 15. That kid is good. I'm really surprised that Maxwell has been coming off the bench lately, pretty sure she'd started every game for 2+ years until just recently.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom