Week 10 preview (Jan. 10-16) | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Week 10 preview (Jan. 10-16)

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

Geez Louise.

This is Virginia Tech's season so far, summarized in three bullet points:
  • Beat a bunch of total scrubs in meaningless games.
  • Got whipped in every meaningful game they played — including a drubbing at the hands of Missouri State, a team far outside the top 25 in polls — except ...
  • Demolished Duke not once, but twice.
I can't even begin to describe how typical this is of the ACC. Teams with nothing going for them get handed "quality" wins by overrated opponents, like hobos in the bread line.

An 11 point margin isn't what I call getting demolished :confused:

Reaction Score
I don't think Oregon St. is a Tourney team this year. Haven't beaten anybody worth a damn yet this year. Didn't score for the last 3 minutes, let this one slip away from them against Arizona.
I agree (as of now) they’d be NIT-bound. They should be improved for the next 2-4 years with all those high ranked recruits.

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
It's looking less and less likely that the Duke/NC State game will be played on Sunday. The weather forecast calls for a wintry mix of snow/sleet/freezing rain across the western and central Carolinas late Saturday night and Sunday.

Would ACC move the Duke/NC State game to Saturday? If it does, there's no room on ACCN for that game to be shown, since 4 men's games are scheduled Saturday.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Would ACC move the Duke/NC State game to Saturday? If it does, there's no room on ACCN for that game to be shown, since 4 men's games are scheduled Saturday.

Perhaps they should just cancel the game at this point.

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
Perhaps they should just cancel the game at this point.
Looking at the Sunday ACCW schedule, several games are threatened at this point:

Duke at NC State
Syracuse at Virginia
Clemson at Virginia Tech

Reaction Score
I agree (as of now) they’d be NIT-bound. They should be improved for the next 2-4 years with all those high ranked recruits.
Have to disagree. Attended the game last night, and frankly was very impressed with Oregon State. Played without Taylor Jones, and it just came down to the last possession. AZ knows how to win in final seconds and OSU is learning how to win in final seconds. OSU played very well against the AZ team (with their entire lineup). OSU's defense is every bit as good as AZ's defense. It was a great game. This was OSU's first PAC-12 game. I would favor OSU in the next game vs Colorado on Monday.

Reaction Score
My TV says there are games 4-10. But they rerunning the FB conference championship at Noon-4.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Not sure when it got added. Utah's game against Cal on Thursday didn't happen, so today they played (and destroyed) UC Riverside. Surprised to see Brynna Maxwell didn't start, but she did play. Jenna Johnson is continuing her strong Fr. campaign. They are scheduled to play Stanford on Sunday.

Reaction Score
Marquette pounding Georgetown 55-27. Am hoping that it's because the Hoyas are short-handed.

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
Looking at the Sunday ACCW schedule, several games are threatened at this point:

Duke at NC State
Syracuse at Virginia
Clemson at Virginia Tech
Syracuse/Virginia and Clemson/VaTech games postponed due to winter weather. Announced by ACC office this evening.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Stanford's probably going to survive in Colorado with an ugly win. 41% shooting and 20 TO's to 11 assists. Really thought they'd be more dominant this year.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Stanford's probably going to survive in Colorado with an ugly win. 41% shooting and 20 TO's to 11 assists. Really thought they'd be more dominant this year.
If you'd seen our two most recent games we've played @Colo, you'd realize this actually is being more dominant. For whatever reason, the away games at Colorado are our kryptonite.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Maybe truly dominant teams are a thing of the past. Everybody has looked vulnerable at times this year.

Hollingshed certainly didn't step up to the moment for Colorado. 2-12 shooting, 7 pts/3 reb. Sherrod w/ 6 on 2-9. Miller led them w/ 16. Like I said she always seems to play well against the Card, doesn't matter which team she's playing for.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
After a long layoff, Washington kept close to UCLA for about 3 quarters, then lost contact. Only mustered 48 points. UCLA scored 63. Only 47 shot attempts. UW has to be one of the lowest paced teams in the country. In her Pac 12 debut Mulkey scored a whopping 3 pts. 6 reb, 3 assists, 1 block. When the transfer was announced I was excited, but after seeing her some in the OOC I lowered my expectations quite a bit.

UCLA totally bailed out by their transfer players. Thomas had 25 and Penn 16.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
After a DISASTROUS first quarter (trailing 17-3), Washington St. settled in, then dominated USC the rest of the way and won 71-63 on the road. Can't ever count out the scrappy Cougs. USC I think is just forever doomed to be mediocre.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
If you'd seen our two most recent games we've played @Colo, you'd realize this actually is being more dominant. For whatever reason, the away games at Colorado are our kryptonite.

Altitude

Reaction Score
Watching the Stanford vs Colorado game last night you have to be impressed by both teams. Colorado had 11 steals in the 1st quarter!!! Against Stanford!!!!! CO's defensive pressure is unreal. Teams need to backdoor Colorado more often to keep them honest.

What impresses me so much about Stanford is they are never out of a game. The Hull sisters were on the bench the entire 4th quarter until Wilson was hurt. Tara makes great in-game personnel substitutions and always seems to find the right 5 players to have on the court to expose weakness in the other team. I am so impressed by Stanford's ability to tighten up the defense in the 2nd half, and find the right 5 players to put on the court during different phases of the game.

Colorado is going to mess up NCAA brackets, they are for real.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I watched this game intently and my suspicions were affirmed that 1. Stanford is sorely missing a point guard 2. Colorado played WAY TOO physical and committed significantly more fouls than we’re even called-25 fouls!
The place was packed which was awesome and given some of the traditional PAC12 that are struggling (UCLA, OSU,ASU) Colorado can make some in-roads this year and who knows maybe top 4!

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Watching the Stanford vs Colorado game last night you have to be impressed by both teams. Colorado had 11 steals in the 1st quarter!!! Against Stanford!!!!! CO's defensive pressure is unreal. Teams need to backdoor Colorado more often to keep them honest.

What impresses me so much about Stanford is they are never out of a game. The Hull sisters were on the bench the entire 4th quarter until Wilson was hurt. Tara makes great in-game personnel substitutions and always seems to find the right 5 players to have on the court to expose weakness in the other team. I am so impressed by Stanford's ability to tighten up the defense in the 2nd half, and find the right 5 players to put on the court during different phases of the game.

Colorado is going to mess up NCAA brackets, they are for real.
It's a point now perhaps nearing "dead horse" territory, but the lack of an adequate ball protector to replace Kiana Williams continues to loom large for Stanford. This was also a huge part of their demise in the SC game.

Until Stanford can prove that it can protect the ball and punish teams for overplaying for steals, teams with good pressure D will bring it hard on them and Stanford will be forced to win ugly, if at all.

I'm not drooling over Colorado, but I do think they'll easily make the NCAA tournament this year, despite the fact they still don't have any quality wins.

Reaction Score
Have to disagree. Attended the game last night, and frankly was very impressed with Oregon State. Played without Taylor Jones, and it just came down to the last possession. AZ knows how to win in final seconds and OSU is learning how to win in final seconds. OSU played very well against the AZ team (with their entire lineup). OSU's defense is every bit as good as AZ's defense. It was a great game. This was OSU's first PAC-12 game. I would favor OSU in the next game vs Colorado on Monday.
Oh yeah most definitely, I was just referring to the quality of teams that Oregon State has beaten this year and the resume to get into the NCAA Tourney (as of today). I had them as #13 in my BY Week 1 Poll so really high on the squad.

I also think they’ll upset Colorado especially at home, and win the next 6 leading up to the rematch with Arizona.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Texas Tech beat Kansas St. handily today. Is the Big 12 just a pile of lukewarm mush? Maybe Iowa St. is the class of the league. Baylor ain't what they used to be. Texas looks fairly uninspiring ever since beating Stanford. Hard to get excited about any of these teams.

edit--oops, forgot Oklahoma seems to be rapidly improving, but not really ready to be a powerhouse just yet

Reaction Score
Texas Tech beat Kansas St. handily today. Is the Big 12 just a pile of lukewarm mush? Maybe Iowa St. is the class of the league. Baylor ain't what they used to be. Texas looks fairly uninspiring ever since beating Stanford. Hard to get excited about any of these teams.
Iowa St is the best team in the big 12 I think. OU is playing like the 2nd best team right now.

Its weird though to see the Big 12 where it is with the play of Texas and Baylor lately.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Welp.. Seems like the Duke vs State game is a go after all. Can't believe they are gonna make Duke travel in the dangerous snow/ice all the way to Raleigh. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Reaction Score
Welp.. Seems like the Duke vs State game is a go after all. Can't believe they are gonna make Duke travel in the dangerous snow/ice all the way to Raleigh. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
Yeah that’s a tough 25 miles ( that the team travelled yesterday)

Reaction Score
How bad is it actually? It's pretty cold here (0 F), but how the winter weather affects areas like NC and parts Virginia confuse me.

An hour drive would not seem to be too bad. What am I missing?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom