We are like no other | Page 2 | The Boneyard

We are like no other

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Two former #1 recruits. Only one "former national player of the year." (Not belittling Azzi's talent or potential)
Before UConn: No. 1 ranked recruit ... 2021 Morgan Wooten HS Basketball Player of the Year ... Three-time Gatorade Washington, D.C. Player of the Year ... 2021 McDonald's All-American ... 2019 Gatorade National Player of the Year (first sophomore ever to win award)

Reaction Score
Before UConn: No. 1 ranked recruit ... 2021 Morgan Wooten HS Basketball Player of the Year ... Three-time Gatorade Washington, D.C. Player of the Year ... 2021 McDonald's All-American ... 2019 Gatorade National Player of the Year (first sophomore ever to win award)
Okay, we're counting high school and all the different HS awards. We also have two then. Had three if we count Gatorade National Player of the Year but Rivers transferred.:(

I again stress, my post was not intended to denigrate Azii at all. She is one of the best pure shooters I have ever seen. AGAIN, I think Azzi has a great career ahead of her at UConn. PEACE

On the main threadline, yeah. You guys ARE different in your expectations. I expect a final four return for my team and hope for more. I won't slit my wrists if we don't make it past 8.

Majic Hands

https://www.neumi.com/jkvetter
Reaction Score
:) I just love the process.

Staff trying to get the best players that could/should fit into their program.

Staff and players getting on the same page figuring out what they're good at and what needs improvement.

Finding and building on a kids motivation and goals.

Practices that's more stressful than games. Players learning how to play effectively in different lineups against different teams.

Game by game. Practices by practice. Getting better so that by the end of the year the "TEAM" is playing to the best of it's ability.

Just love it.

As to the negativity on the BY. I see it as many of us armchair coaches/fan's/know-it-alls are unable to grasp that our expectations probably exceed the players ability. That's not the kids fault, nor the staff, nor the program. It's the fan's inability to realize"They" have a problem. Not the kid.

Not to wish my life away. But. I'm so looking forward to the first game this fall as much as the last game of the season .

Reaction Score
SC still has to be favored and Stanford still has a ton of talent. Texas looks strong and teams like Tennessee and Notre Dame could well emerge to be top 4 teams as well. The bottom line is it should be a terrific season of top flite competition.

Reaction Score
I expect the similar fate as last season. #1 SC as #1 overall seed and then Stanford Uconn as the same final 4 matchup. and the #4th 1 seed will be the weakest I would say right now Notre Dame due to their talent/experience.

Reaction Score
I have greater expectations for this season than I had for last season. This coming season will have a new and more aggressive leadership with a determined mindset. We have two posts, Dorka and Aaliyah, with lots of game experience and have played at a high level. High potential Amari has practiced for one season and should understand by now the required intensity level for the games and practice. I think Isunah will surprise us, not as a starter but with solid play as a frosh. She won't be lost on the court. This is her dream, UCONN. I have not viewed Avanna's most recent games but I expect a bit less from her, however, she could be used not unlike Samarie Walker to body-up on players like SC's Boston. UCONN has two former national players of the year, Paige and Azzi. A healthy Caroline will be amazing. Nika is the team catalyst and energy source who, hopefully, has an improved shot. Although her three point percentage (34%) was only behind Azzi (43%) and Paige (35%). Aubrey could play at the wing or guard provided her offense improves and the "deer in the headlights" is gone. She potentially could reprise Gabby's role. Lou Lopez Sénécal is a wild card. Last season at Fairfield she shot 45% FG and 40% 3FG against perhaps a lower level of competition. If they can play to their potential, I think they are back into the NCAA finals against SC with a better front court. Assuming her wrist is not an issue, I think Dorka et al will be better than last year and win the NCAA championship.
that's a lot of if's. Just can't see a scenario where this team was better than last season. ONO held the fort when ppl were hurt, Williams was easily the best defender on the team, Westbrook would fill roles when players were out. Don't see how those players are replaced overnight.

Reaction Score
Huh? Agree with nothing? You and I are reading the OP very differently. I thought it was a good post from a real fan.

I don't like the negativity either. Hence my call out to TonyC above. I think we all need a little shot of Tony from time to time.
Yeah – everything. I just want to start off with baldhuskie is a terrific poster. baldhuskie is respectful to everyone and has many thought-provoking posts. And it’s absolutely okay if we like different things. But yeah- “everything.”

1—The OP is minimizing the injuries UCONN endured by stating many other teams have had injuries too. But this many injuries to the quality of players no team had to endure.

2—The OP said making it to the Finals wasn’t the same. It was for me.

3—The OP said it wasn’t as joyful. It was for me.

4—The OP said “. . . we felt were overwhelming.” Well the season wasn’t “overwhelming for me. I said many times that when Paige and Azzi were out – I made many posts saying “This team Needs Azzi Fudd.” That’s not “overwhelmed.” That’s an injury issue that the OP seems to minimize while I was just waiting for her return with a belief the team would start playing much better.

5--- The OP asks about as a fan not being happy unless a title is won. That’s not me. I’m unhappy that we didn’t win it all, but in the context the OP is speaking,- for me I’m proud of the team and satisfied with the season considering all that happened.

6--- The OP speaks of missing games that were closer like they were 30 years ago? I can’t agree with that. I enjoy watching amazing basketball from UCONN regardless of the score. I hate ugly basketball even if we win. If I want uglier basketball but close games then why not prefer to watch the men? They are “good” but the women are “great.”: Gimmee “Quality” any day of the week.

7--- The OP speaks of the season being “disappointing?” Only to a very minor degree for me. I am not a “title or bust” fan.

8—The OP talks of “what makes us happy.” The OP states having great wins over great teams is the mark of a great season. Well UCONN beat SC and Baylor last year. And this year beat NC State and Stanford. Those are “great” wins. So isn’t the Op saying “title or bust?” And maybe the Op is implying that there can only be “great wins” during the season if UCONN wins its last game? Otherwise no other win can be considered “great?” You mean most posters on here weren’t psyched over the wins I just mentioned above right after the game?

Reaction Score
LOL, sorry, I was not trying to be negative. Of all the sports teams that I follow, UConn wbb is on top by a huge margin. I was just thinking about it the other day, seeing videos of years gone by, seeing the excitement in the faces of players and fans. I expect to win this year, and I will attend or watch on TV every game that is available. Just wanted to mention how tough it was to watch last season, but wild horses wouldn't keep me away from watching or supporting our team. Some people read things the wrong way, and I was not "miserable" watching, it was just not as joyful as it has in the past because of all the players missing. I love this team, always have and always will, and will support them until the day I die. I hope nobody will take this post the wrong way.
No need for you to apologize – not one bit. You offer an opinion of what you prefer. And you are always respectful. I hope my posts on this thread did not imply that you aren’t a great fan. I tried making a point in my 1st post on here saying “I’m not saying the OP is” referring to “miserable.” Please don’t take it that way. You're respectful and provide thought-provoking comments.

All I was saying – I hope it came out that way is—I didn’t agree with anything you said that makes you the fan/how you enjoy. I enjoy things completely different than you if what you said is how you feel. I feel “180 different.” And that’s okay. There is no problem with us liking the game/team differently.

I just thought overall your post was a negative post – and that is fine. I don’t agree with much negative when it comes to the UCONN women. And I relish the wins for example last year over SC and Baylor. And this year over NC State and Stanford. Complete and utter joy with those wins for me. For me—to not appreciate those wins and downplay them is to a degree- “negative.”

Reaction Score
Okay, we're counting high school and all the different HS awards. We also have two then. Had three if we count Gatorade National Player of the Year but Rivers transferred.:(

I again stress, my post was not intended to denigrate Azii at all. She is one of the best pure shooters I have ever seen. AGAIN, I think Azzi has a great career ahead of her at UConn. PEACE

On the main threadline, yeah. You guys ARE different in your expectations. I expect a final four return for my team and hope for more. I won't slit my wrists if we don't make it past 8.

She was the NPOY in the 2019 season, winning over all the current SCar seniors & juniors who were still in high school. :eek:

Reaction Score
Yeah – everything. I just want to start off with baldhuskie is a terrific poster. baldhuskie is respectful to everyone and has many thought-provoking posts. And it’s absolutely okay if we like different things. But yeah- “everything.”

1—The OP is minimizing the injuries UCONN endured by stating many other teams have had injuries too. But this many injuries to the quality of players no team had to endure.

2—The OP said making it to the Finals wasn’t the same. It was for me.

3—The OP said it wasn’t as joyful. It was for me.

4—The OP said “. . . we felt were overwhelming.” Well the season wasn’t “overwhelming for me. I said many times that when Paige and Azzi were out – I made many posts saying “This team Needs Azzi Fudd.” That’s not “overwhelmed.” That’s an injury issue that the OP seems to minimize while I was just waiting for her return with a belief the team would start playing much better.

5--- The OP asks about as a fan not being happy unless a title is won. That’s not me. I’m unhappy that we didn’t win it all, but in the context the OP is speaking,- for me I’m proud of the team and satisfied with the season considering all that happened.

6--- The OP speaks of missing games that were closer like they were 30 years ago? I can’t agree with that. I enjoy watching amazing basketball from UCONN regardless of the score. I hate ugly basketball even if we win. If I want uglier basketball but close games then why not prefer to watch the men? They are “good” but the women are “great.”: Gimmee “Quality” any day of the week.

7--- The OP speaks of the season being “disappointing?” Only to a very minor degree for me. I am not a “title or bust” fan.

8—The OP talks of “what makes us happy.” The OP states having great wins over great teams is the mark of a great season. Well UCONN beat SC and Baylor last year. And this year beat NC State and Stanford. Those are “great” wins. So isn’t the Op saying “title or bust?” And maybe the Op is implying that there can only be “great wins” during the season if UCONN wins its last game? Otherwise no other win can be considered “great?” You mean most posters on here weren’t psyched over the wins I just mentioned above right after the game?
OK, let me explain the thoughts going through my (simple) head when I read the post. Let me draw an analogy. Remember Christmas morning when you were 6 or 7 years old? How about last Christmas with the kids all grown and moved out of the house? Are the 2 Christmas's the same? This past UConn season was like the current Christmas. If we had a season like this past season in the early 90's we would all be going nuts, like Christmas morning for a 7 year old. What's the problem? We are very, very spoiled.

As far as enjoying UConn basketball, people ask me why I drive to Hartford game after game to watch blow-outs? I do it because I really enjoy excellent basketball execution. I do not enjoy losses. Not at all, even if UConn played well. Was I disappointed in this past season? No, considering everything it was a very successful season, but something was missing. Oh yeah, the NC. No pony under the Christmas tree this year :)

Reaction Score
The thing that keeps me coming back to the BY is the diversity of perspectives from all of the posters, most of whom have been following UCONN WCBB far longer than I.
Given the circumstances surrounding last season, it would be impossible not to express some disappointment.
And hard not to lapse into a little bitterness or “negativity “
I continued to look forward to each game and can honestly say I was thrilled and proud of the way Geno and the team were able to put it together at the end and get to the NC game.
I must admit being kind of despondent and anxious after Paige went down and the dumpster fire game at GA Tech.
The ladies showed great resiliency and plain old guts as they gradually healed and returned to the “ Husky Way”
Really looking forward to next season to see what they can do when they are , hopefully, in good healthy.

Reaction Score
that's a lot of if's. Just can't see a scenario where this team was better than last season. ONO held the fort when ppl were hurt, Williams was easily the best defender on the team, Westbrook would fill roles when players were out. Don't see how those players are replaced overnight.
When talking about players who didn't end up at Uconn, but somewhere else.
The one that would have made a difference and probably led to a few championships was Ezi. She's still only 21, yet starting to show the ability she has.

Reaction Score
I expect the similar fate as last season. #1 SC as #1 overall seed and then Stanford Uconn as the same final 4 matchup. and the #4th 1 seed will be the weakest I would say right now Notre Dame due to their talent/experience.
I agree but I do think losing Henny is a big deal. Two of their bigger games vs Stanford and vs UConn, she was arguably the best player on the floor. It does perhaps allow Zia to be a bit more on the ball which could be great for her in her senior season. As far as that 4th 1 seed, I like Tennessee a bit more than Notre Dame, but ND should be really good. I truly do believe Shaylee Gonzales who just entered the portal could take a team like Arizona to another level or make a team like Stanford the favorite.

Reaction Score
The thing that keeps me coming back to the BY is the diversity of perspectives from all of the posters, most of whom have been following UCONN WCBB far longer than I.
Given the circumstances surrounding last season, it would be impossible not to express some disappointment.
And hard not to lapse into a little bitterness or “negativity “
I continued to look forward to each game and can honestly say I was thrilled and proud of the way Geno and the team were able to put it together at the end and get to the NC game.
I must admit being kind of despondent and anxious after Paige went down and the dumpster fire game at GA Tech.
The ladies showed great resiliency and plain old guts as they gradually healed and returned to the “ Husky Way”
Really looking forward to next season to see what they can do when they are , hopefully, in good healthy.
I share your sentiments, and I too was felled by the GA Tech game. I've only recently returned to UConn WBB -- I was a fan in the Lobo-Wolters days because I lived in the area, and then came back for the DT years and caught the last two NCs with Stewie. When she graduated, my interested faded... until someone showed me a video of a Junior at Hopkins HS in the Minnesota state championships and all the old feelings returned. It was as if the magic was coming back to Storrs.

About that dreadful GA Tech game, I felt a little better about it after watching a replay of the GA Tech-NC St game. Tech played really tough in the first half. NC St came roaring back in the end, but even they looked vulnerable in the first half. I guess that's sort of what happened to us, except without Paige we didn't have the fire to come back at the end. Watching NC St do what we should have done was a sort of consolation.

sun

Reaction Score
Being part of the FF elite for so many years running is a huge accomplishment,
That has now become the primary goal and measurement of UConn's success that also allows it to continue recruiting enough top players to keep it in the running for a NC.
After losing to Arizona without any seniors, and having the same basic team return last year until all of the injuries piled up including to Dorka, UConn was fortunate to be able to make it as far as it did.
That's my measurement for success, and we exceeded that by beating Stanford.
Other than the loss to Scar not being very close which the injuries affected, UConn had its chance and simply couldn't win which was an unfortunate heartbreak.

But the players are much more affected by the result than the fans should be.
They're the ones having surgery, rehab and recovery and suffering from the defeat.
But from a fan perspective, to make it to the FF & the NC game was a huge success.
I would judge this season and every season the same way.
The players use their muscles, bones and brains to defy the physics of this world while leaping for the stars.
Only 2 teams get to fight for that opportunity.
They can't control the outcome, when UConn deserves to win another NC then they'll win.
Until then it's just a roulette wheel of injuries, rehab., conditioning and recruitment.

All of the national titles and consecutive win records are in the past.
All we have left are the 14 straight FF's which I think we really need to applaud if the UConn women can even make it to 15.
That accomplishment alone in 2022 -23 would be stupendous.
From there we'll see if they can get some whipped cream and a cherry on top by winning NC #12.
But for now they're #2 and they need to try harder, and they need more bodies.
That's what makes the world go around and fans can only continue to root for another day.
The UConn mantra should simply be FF or bust., and then at the end of the season we'll see where the team lands when everyone comes back down to earth from Mount Olympus.

Reaction Score
I agree, whipped cream definitely makes the world go around. I suppose the cherries contribute something too.

sun

Reaction Score
I agree, whipped cream definitely makes the world go around. I suppose the cherries contribute something too.
Yep, and maybe this year some other major competitor will have the same amount of misfortune that UConn had to deal with last year.
Sometimes what goes around comes around.

Reaction Score
OK, let me explain the thoughts going through my (simple) head when I read the post. Let me draw an analogy. Remember Christmas morning when you were 6 or 7 years old? How about last Christmas with the kids all grown and moved out of the house? Are the 2 Christmas's the same? This past UConn season was like the current Christmas. If we had a season like this past season in the early 90's we would all be going nuts, like Christmas morning for a 7 year old. What's the problem? We are very, very spoiled.

As far as enjoying UConn basketball, people ask me why I drive to Hartford game after game to watch blow-outs? I do it because I really enjoy excellent basketball execution. I do not enjoy losses. Not at all, even if UConn played well. Was I disappointed in this past season? No, considering everything it was a very successful season, but something was missing. Oh yeah, the NC. No pony under the Christmas tree this year :)
I don’t agree. Using your analogy you still highly appreciate both, don’t you? You prefer one over the other, but you still appreciate both, right?

When the OP made comments like wanting to go back 30 years in which UCONN was having close games but not a title threat. And then the OP mentions only a great season with great wins over great teams is what makes “us” happy. But the point I made is – is that UCONN has beaten some great teams and had great wins. SO why not have some level of happiness/appreciation? I just felt the great victories got swept under the rug. The overall injuries that UCONN had got swept under the rug. The super play resulting in blowouts gets not so much appreciated. As a fan, I appreciate them.

So why isn’t this in contrast to your analogy? You still highly appreciate both Christmas’s, right? I didn’t read anywhere on the original post that the OP appreciated the season; only that it was a disappointment. Ofc he is a great fan. And he is a respectful classy poster. But the comments made are of “disappointment” and no appreciation of the season.

You, on the other hand, say you are disappointed but the context I read from yours is that you still appreciate the latter X-Mas too, don’t you? I believe I’m more in align with what you’re saying as I have stated in point 5 that I said “I’m unhappy we didn’t win. . .” But I still appreciated the season – just as you I think you still appreciate the latter X-Mas too.

Reaction Score
I agree but I do think losing Henny is a big deal. Two of their bigger games vs Stanford and vs UConn, she was arguably the best player on the floor. It does perhaps allow Zia to be a bit more on the ball which could be great for her in her senior season. As far as that 4th 1 seed, I like Tennessee a bit more than Notre Dame, but ND should be really good. I truly do believe Shaylee Gonzales who just entered the portal could take a team like Arizona to another level or make a team like Stanford the favorite.
yea similar to Mdoggie I don't buy Tenn until they actually get back to a final 4, I actually like UNC more than them. I thought UNC for whatever reason gave South Carolina the toughest test.

Reaction Score
I appreciate every Christmas, but let's get off the Christmas analogy. I said I was NOT disappointed with the past season. Where in my post did I say that? I feel the run up to the NC game was spectacular. If we could have pulled off the NC, PAHuskyfan's movie script would have gone into production :)

Having said that, I personally lost some of the giddy 1995 hysteria. I suspect others have too. We were innocent babes back then. Will we ever get that feeling back? Maybe not, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. After decades of excellent basketball, I expect and appreciate excellent basketball and I almost always get it from UConn.

We are now in a long NC drought (for UConn). Maybe the next NC might rekindle just a little bit of that 1995 feeling. I certainly hope so.

Reaction Score
I appreciate every Christmas, but let's get off the Christmas analogy. I said I was NOT disappointed with the past season. Where in my post did I say that? I feel the run up to the NC game was spectacular. If we could have pulled off the NC, PAHuskyfan's movie script would have gone into production :)

Having said that, I personally lost some of the giddy 1995 hysteria. I suspect others have too. We were innocent babes back then. Will we ever get that feeling back? Maybe not, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. After decades of excellent basketball, I expect and appreciate excellent basketball and I almost always get it from UConn.

We are now in a long NC drought (for UConn). Maybe the next NC might rekindle just a little bit of that 1995 feeling. I certainly hope so.
Huh?? I just saw this.

I didn't say you were disappointed. From the 1st sentence I said you appreciate both. I only brought up XMas though because you did. But where did you think I said you didn't appreciate? Matter of fact, I said you and I were more in agreement with the analogy you sent because you do appreciate both.

And as far as your feeling giddy comment – okay you don’t feel “as giddy.” But you still feel “giddy,” right? I too would feel giddier if they won it all but also feel giddy for getting to Final Fours and Title games.

But this has nothing to do with “lost innocence” for me. I was still giddy as hell with the wins over NC State and Stanford. I could barely get to sleep after those NC State and Stanford games. So in those moments I still feel like that “innocent kid” you refer to.

Reaction Score
I was watching the Indiana game replay this afternoon (yup, a lazy Saturday) and couldn’t help wondering if this core has 2 NCs in them.

Paige, Nika, Aaliyah are a tough trio and they’ll define the Huskies for the next two years. I think they have what it takes to carry the others for this coming season, and the following season Azzi and Caroline will carry a much bigger load.

And what about the third season? Can Azzi and Caroline lead the way to a third NC with the help of Ice and Ayanna? Ashlynn and KK will have to carry some of the scoring load. I predict Ice and Ayanna will be the power pair in the lane every other team dreads.

And the 4th season? Then it will be Ashlynn and KK’s team to run, but Ice and Ayanna’s team to lead. I think they can do it… if Geno and CD manage to recruit well.

Reaction Score
I was watching the Indiana game replay this afternoon (yup, a lazy Saturday) and couldn’t help wondering if this core has 2 NCs in them.

Paige, Nika, Aaliyah are a tough trio and they’ll define the Huskies for the next two years. I think they have what it takes to carry the others for this coming season, and the following season Azzi and Caroline will carry a much bigger load.

And what about the third season? Can Azzi and Caroline lead the way to a third NC with the help of Ice and Ayanna? Ashlynn and KK will have to carry some of the scoring load. I predict Ice and Ayanna will be the power pair in the lane every other team dreads.

And the 4th season? Then it will be Ashlynn and KK’s team to run, but Ice and Ayanna’s team to lead. I think they can do it… if Geno and CD manage to recruit well.
pretty sure this question has ben asked the past 5 seasons, we know the result. There's no need to project anything until it actually happens. If last season didn't happen, this season will be way harder to win a title.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom