We are like no other | Page 3 | The Boneyard

We are like no other

Reaction Score
I was watching the Indiana game replay this afternoon (yup, a lazy Saturday) and couldn’t help wondering if this core has 2 NCs in them.

Paige, Nika, Aaliyah are a tough trio and they’ll define the Huskies for the next two years. I think they have what it takes to carry the others for this coming season, and the following season Azzi and Caroline will carry a much bigger load.

And what about the third season? Can Azzi and Caroline lead the way to a third NC with the help of Ice and Ayanna? Ashlynn and KK will have to carry some of the scoring load. I predict Ice and Ayanna will be the power pair in the lane every other team dreads.

And the 4th season? Then it will be Ashlynn and KK’s team to run, but Ice and Ayanna’s team to lead. I think they can do it… if Geno and CD manage to recruit well.
Don't get ahead of yourself, just win 1 championship , then you can talk about consecutive Championships.
There isn't a Stewie on this team predicting wining 4.

Reaction Score
The new season will be a good one. I for one am looking forward to this version of the Huskies as they integrate the new talent into the current group of "kids" which was battle tested last year. We'll see what they learned. No mama E to look after them. Who will step up and take that role this year? Enquiring fans want to know. ;)

I don't know if they will continue the Final Four streak (although I think they certainly have a great shot). There are two teams out there that I feel may be more talented than the Huskies this year and I'm sure we all know who those two teams are. Other teams have outstanding players as well (though maybe not in the quantity of the "big three") that will have something to say about how the season goes. So, for me, I will be overjoyed if they get NC No. 12 and will be sad, but not crushed, if they don't get it. I think most fans likely feel that same way.

And when a game doesn't turn out the way we would like, I would hope that we don't pillory the players or the coaching staff. It's ok to discuss what did or didn't work without making it personal. Every player has their strengths and weaknesses and the games reveal that. Constantly harping on it gets old and tiresome. I had to step away from the site a few times last year because of the negativity after certain games. Maybe it was a reflection of the pandemic or the mindset of the country overall, but last year got brutal at times. I would prefer that we find a way to "Accentuate the Positive, Eliminate the Negative, and don't mess with Mr. In Between." It will make for a much more enjoyable season.
I particularly believe that the ability to slash to the basket and finish at the rim, combined with stop & pop mid-range (good brakes) and multiple 3 pt threats on offense {Nika (improved 3 ptrs), Paige (always, & fully healed and stronger than ever), Azzi (showed it at tournament time), the new Lou (so far so good - yes, it is practice), Caroline (fully healed and stronger than ever) plus strength and efficiency in the post(s) [high/low: Dorka (fully healed and stronger than ever), AE (confident & better than she finished during tournament time), ICE (stronger & faster than she is showing & dominating in U18 in Argentina), AP (having people foul her elbow without missing any games & showing that her 3X3 skills translates well in 5 on 5), and Amari (rapidly becomes consistently good in what Geno is looking for in her), and I look forward to a fully healed & quick AG.

I do not remember a time when UCONN had five of eleven women coming off of surgery in an eighteen month period. Prayers sent for fully healed Huskies, and continued good health for all eleven (and practice players faces...), and let each team member be rapid learners of "the system" as each year is a "new" team [three excellent seniors graduated to the WNBA, and effectly four 'new' women as AG was out with back surgery, and Lou, ICE, & AP in for their first year with the Huskies].

After the last year [called "the toughest" year ever by Geno], may this be Geno's easiest year ever by having all of last year's starters (six of them in double digit starts, but none starting every game - you all know the history) stepping up to more than fill the gap of leadership (in a positive way) left by the three graduates to the WNBA.

Go Huskies!!! Much success on the quest of NC #12!

Reaction Score
and Amari (rapidly becomes consistently good in what Geno is looking for in her)
You got me thinking about what exactly Geno might be looking for from Amari, and it occurred to me that he might think she could develop more or less like Tamari Key at Tennessee. Not super high energy, but consistently capable of getting 10 pts, 8 rebounds and a few blocks. Key started slow (though she averaged 18 mins as a freshman) with 7 pts 5 rebounds per game and got more minutes each year and her production improved incrementally.

sun

Reaction Score
Both Ayanna and Amari can dunk.
I'm not sure which will be the first to do it but it's going to be sweet.

Reaction Score
"Can dunk" in practice is completely different than "does dunk" (in games).

Don't expect it to happen. The gametime opportunities are rare. Enjoy yourself if/when it happens but a three pointer is more important.

Reaction Score
I am enormously proud of what our team accomplished last season.

Same - the heart and grit they displayed was inspiring....especially that 2OT game which I got to experience in person (except for Dorka's fall right in front of me :( )

Reaction Score
You got me thinking about what exactly Geno might be looking for from Amari, and it occurred to me that he might think she could develop more or less like Tamari Key at Tennessee. Not super high energy, but consistently capable of getting 10 pts, 8 rebounds and a few blocks. Key started slow (though she averaged 18 mins as a freshman) with 7 pts 5 rebounds per game and got more minutes each year and her production improved incrementally.
I don’t think this early in her career she can average 10 points for a top 5 National power team. Paige and Azzi have some nights off shooting- this should also be expected with Amari too. As a result - what else can she do? She doesn't bang well inside. SO she isn't going to give you much on inside points. And her defense is not good. Thus every time she misses an outside shot she puts the defense in potential trouble because she also isn’t so hot in transition,.

And how much does she help playing a fast pace which UCONN wants? There just isn’t enough possessions for her to average 10 per game unless she beats out the starters. And if she isn't getting 30+ minutes she isn't going to average 8 rebounds per game. There just isn't enough possessions in a game in which UCONN is also trying to get plenty of looks for their better players to give to Amari so she could attain 10 points and 8 rebounds. And if the suggestion is that maybe she made a mistake coming (which I would disagree with) then the counter would be that maybe if you give her these 30 minutes then UCONN won't be making it near as far to the Final Four.

I see great opportunity for her in the 10- 15 minute range if everything goes right. If she gets more than 15 she has been doing great. To put it in perspective Kamilla Cardoso averaged 13.4 minutes per game and just 5.1 rebounds for SC after being ROY in ACC the prior year.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
CHAMPIONSHIP!!!! SHORT ANSWER! WE ARE DUE!!!

Attachments

• 041F5880-543D-46DF-954B-3241E1E6C0BC.jpeg
    041F5880-543D-46DF-954B-3241E1E6C0BC.jpeg
    158.7 KB · Views: 87
Reaction Score
I don’t think this early in her career she can average 10 points for a top 5 National power team. Paige and Azzi have some nights off shooting- this should also be expected with Amari too. As a result - what else can she do? She doesn't bang well inside. SO she isn't going to give you much on inside points. And her defense is not good. Thus every time she misses an outside shot she puts the defense in potential trouble because she also isn’t so hot in transition,.

And how much does she help playing a fast pace which UCONN wants? There just isn’t enough possessions for her to average 10 per game unless she beats out the starters.
And if she isn't getting 30+ minutes she isn't going to average 8 rebounds per game. There just isn't enough possessions in a game in which UCONN is also trying to get plenty of looks for their better players to give to Amari so she could attain 10 points and 8 rebounds. And if the suggestion is that maybe she made a mistake coming (which I would disagree with) then the counter would be that maybe if you give her these 30 minutes then UCONN won't be making it near as far to the Final Four.

I see great opportunity for her in the 10- 15 minute range if everything goes right. If she gets more than 15 she has been doing great. To put it in perspective Kamilla Cardoso averaged 13.4 minutes per game and just 5.1 rebounds for SC after being ROY in ACC the prior year.
Did you have to bring reality into this? Another 10 posts or so and they'd have her ticketed to be an AA. ;)

Reaction Score

And how much does she help playing a fast pace which UCONN wants? There just isn’t enough possessions for her to average 10 per game unless she beats out the starters. And if she isn't getting 30+ minutes she isn't going to average 8 rebounds per game. There just isn't enough possessions in a game in which UCONN is also trying to get plenty of looks for their better players to give to Amari so she could attain 10 points and 8 rebounds. And if the suggestion is that maybe she made a mistake coming (which I would disagree with) then the counter would be that maybe if you give her these 30 minutes then UCONN won't be making it near as far to the Final Four.

I was not thinking she'd score 10pts/game this year. But I think she could score 6-7pts/game if she earned 15 mins, rather like Key did in her first year at 18 mins/game. I realize this is optimistic -- but it is June after all. [How quickly some folks forget this.] She's a good shooter from 15 ft and has a couple of quick post moves and already knows not to bring the ball down when she catches it in the lane. In other words, if all goes well for her, she might score 3 times in a game this season. And if it doesn't go well, she won't get the chance.

Maybe to give it more context, if Amari is going to be the 5 after Dorka leaves, she'll have to develop similarly to Key. Otherwise, in the absence of any recruits over 6'3", the 5 will have to be shared between Aaliyah and Ice, and we'll be the worse for it.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
And sometimes dunking is a stupid thing to do.The foreign girl on Dallas stole the ball for a breakaway dunk.
After that Stewie woke up and has been on a one women tear since then.
Don't ever wake up a sleeping bear.

Reaction Score
Well, let's put the 21-22 season to rest. We can keep talking about our injuries, our bouts with sickness, what would have happened if none of that occurred. These things happen to alot of teams, but because of the expectations of this team every year, many of our fans are really disappointed in the results of the season. To me, although we made it to the NC game, it didn't feel the same. The journey to get there was not Joyful as we had hoped, but full of trying times that we felt were overwhelming to say the least, BUT we got there.

Are we in a place now that we will not be happy unless the ultimate goal is achieved? 30 years ago, we were like most teams now, thrilled if we had a chance to will our conference title, or to make it to the big dance for the first time. Every game back then meant something, no blowouts, but intense games that put us on the front of our seats. Do you miss that, because I do. Don't get me wrong, I am a huge fan and my expectations are the same as most of you. No NC, disappointing year, no final four, a travesty. Right now we are different from fans of most schools, expecting the ultimate year in and year out. All I'm saying is that our goal each year is like no other, so only a great season with great wins over other great teams is the only thing that will make us happy. So, that's how it is with us, and at my age I want to be happy again, so we must do it this year. Like it or not, that is our expectation and we have to achieve that. In the mean time, good luck to those teams with the other expectations, and may they have the success they crave. We were there once upon a time, and the feeling was spectacular. Go Huskies.
We will have an exciting team that will get better as the season progresses. Many superb players. We can win it all or get beaten. In any case, it will be a great ride. Enjoy it.

Reaction Score
We will have an exciting team that will get better as the season progresses. Many superb players. We can win it all or get beaten. In any case, it will be a great ride. Enjoy it.
And I think we haven't seen the best of Caroline by a long shot. If she was struggling all year with a lingering injury from HS, and
she ( post surgery ) becomes 100% healthy, we may see a superstar emerge. She already showed that potential even when limping about.

Reaction Score
Two former #1 recruits. Only one "former national player of the year." (Not belittling Azzi's talent or potential)
I guess I mean assume “the national player of the year” was in reference to HS?Right? I mean we did have 3 last season if we are counting Gatorade Players of the Year. I mean nobody has had two or more College National Players of The Year since Maya and Tina, if I’m not mistaken.

Reaction Score
I agree, whipped cream definitely makes the world go around. I suppose the cherries contribute something too.
Especially when the whipped cream comes out of a pressurized can and is placed directly in one's mouth. The noise makes me laugh every time my wife does it.... :)

When the UCONN women win # 12 NC, I will try it myself!

Go Huskies!

Reaction Score
Geno has always said that a team has to suffer before it can become a great team!
The loss to ND in 2001 FF Semi's set up the outstanding team of 2002!
Last year's team injuries and illnesses made the returnees more hungry to have a great team this and in upcoming seasons.
They know they could have been special in a normal type season!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom