We are like no other | The Boneyard

We are like no other

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Well, let's put the 21-22 season to rest. We can keep talking about our injuries, our bouts with sickness, what would have happened if none of that occurred. These things happen to alot of teams, but because of the expectations of this team every year, many of our fans are really disappointed in the results of the season. To me, although we made it to the NC game, it didn't feel the same. The journey to get there was not Joyful as we had hoped, but full of trying times that we felt were overwhelming to say the least, BUT we got there.

Are we in a place now that we will not be happy unless the ultimate goal is achieved? 30 years ago, we were like most teams now, thrilled if we had a chance to will our conference title, or to make it to the big dance for the first time. Every game back then meant something, no blowouts, but intense games that put us on the front of our seats. Do you miss that, because I do. Don't get me wrong, I am a huge fan and my expectations are the same as most of you. No NC, disappointing year, no final four, a travesty. Right now we are different from fans of most schools, expecting the ultimate year in and year out. All I'm saying is that our goal each year is like no other, so only a great season with great wins over other great teams is the only thing that will make us happy. So, that's how it is with us, and at my age I want to be happy again, so we must do it this year. Like it or not, that is our expectation and we have to achieve that. In the mean time, good luck to those teams with the other expectations, and may they have the success they crave. We were there once upon a time, and the feeling was spectacular. Go Huskies.

Reaction Score
this season I have no expectations of a title and it's a bit relieving. Replacing that many players that left this offseason and expecting freshman to come in and replace them would be foolish to think. I do think Patterson will do well in her freshman season, but still will have to go through experience in a tournament.

Reaction Score
Well said! We won 11 tiles, and our primary competition was a small handful of teams. But in the process, we've taught more teams to be great, too, and the competition is a lot stiffer now. That's an important part of Geno's legacy, not just making UConn great, but helping make WCBB great.

I look at other BE teams, like Creighton and Marquette, DePaul and Villanova. These are rising programs and I wonder how they are thinking about what the coming season holds. Creighton, for example, dazzled in the tournament, grit and talent let them play a little above their heads until they finally lost to SC. Jim Flanery has a tall task in front of him, managing the emotions and the hopes of his team, seeing if they can do it again. They accomplished great things, and even if they can't repeat it this season, it will still be wonderful for them.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Well said! We won 11 tiles, and our primary competition was a small handful of teams. But in the process, we've taught more teams to be great, too, and the competition is a lot stiffer now. That's an important part of Geno's legacy, not just making UConn great, but helping make WCBB great.
This.

I suppose some will argue that it is coincidence, but I view Geno as the tide that raised all boats. His quest for perfection showed woman’s college basketball what it takes to succeed, and, indeed, what it takes to build a dynasty. Undoubtedly, his legacy UConn is great and well appreciated, but I wonder if the rest of women’s college basketball will appreciate how he helped change the game.

Reaction Score
The talent is certainly there to answer the question you raised including the coaching staff. In all practical reality, the unknowns, the unforseen injuries, and team configuraion can bring set backs. Just as one poster has said, there are many more teams that have invested in Geno's desire to achieve excellence. From my point of view, I guess that I will take it one game at a time.

Reaction Score
this season I have no expectations of a title and it's a bit relieving. Replacing that many players that left this offseason and expecting freshman to come in and replace them would be foolish to think. I do think Patterson will do well in her freshman season, but still will have to go through experience in a tournament.
socal613ws- - -I start each season with just 1 hope or wish, that is to remain injury and/or no serious illnesses!
It certainly didn't happen last season, but I figure if we can remain healthy, UCONN WILL have a hugely successful season!
Too much talent to be denied!

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
To some degree what we are seeing is the natural progression of a sport that finally gets attention and fan support and financial support (thank you title IX.)

Pat did her part
Geno came along
CPTV gambled on Uconn WCBB
1995 happened and 1996 Olympics followed - and two pro leagues were spawned one with NBA money behind it.
And multiple sports networks started searching for product.
TN without Pat fell back to the pack and multiple teams filled the void. Before 2017 for 22 years Uconn and TN combined for 16 titles, the rest of the 350+/- D1 programs won 6. Before Pat left, from 1995-2008, Uconn and TN appeared in 10 of 14 FF together - 1999 and 2006 were the only years that at least one of TN or Uconn didn't appear in a FF in the last 27 years! There were other really good teams throughout those 28 years but Uconn and TN and then Uconn alone didn't give them any air to breath.

I agree with the OP - the current string of FF appearances has created a level of expectation never seen before and taken some of the joy out of incredibly good seasons - the excitement of a team trying to make a FF the past two seasons when the team just wasn't that good - and succeeding! should be cause for celebration. 2005, 2006, and 2007 are so far in the rear view mirror that I shudder to think what it would be like here if we were to miss a FF in the future. (And it will happen sometime.)

Reaction Score
I agree with the OP - the current string of FF appearances has created a level of expectation never seen before and taken some of the joy out of incredibly good seasons - the excitement of a team trying to make a FF the past two seasons when the team just wasn't that good - and succeeding! should be cause for celebration. 2005, 2006, and 2007 are so far in the rear view mirror that I shudder to think what it would be like here if we were to miss a FF in the future. (And it will happen sometime.)
I feel it too, the streak is precarious. The Elite Eight win over Baylor was really as far as we could go in '21. The game could have gone either way, and one might think that the injury to DiDi Richards decided the game, and some still gripe about a missed foul call at the end. Of course, letting Paige score 28 points wasn't a really good idea either. But the loss to Arizona showed that we weren't really ready to win it all. Paige was awesome, of course, but the rest of the team folded.

What will happen this year? Who knows? But I like our chances, and thank goodness we will have a challenge getting past SC!

Reaction Score
I’m confident that we have the best player in the country. When Geno has that, and a good supporting cast, which we also have, he wins titles. Of course there are about 4 other teams that are in the mix, but this year, I think we overcome all.

Reaction Score
The new season will be a good one. I for one am looking forward to this version of the Huskies as they integrate the new talent into the current group of "kids" which was battle tested last year. We'll see what they learned. No mama E to look after them. Who will step up and take that role this year? Enquiring fans want to know. ;)

I don't know if they will continue the Final Four streak (although I think they certainly have a great shot). There are two teams out there that I feel may be more talented than the Huskies this year and I'm sure we all know who those two teams are. Other teams have outstanding players as well (though maybe not in the quantity of the "big three") that will have something to say about how the season goes. So, for me, I will be overjoyed if they get NC No. 12 and will be sad, but not crushed, if they don't get it. I think most fans likely feel that same way.

And when a game doesn't turn out the way we would like, I would hope that we don't pillory the players or the coaching staff. It's ok to discuss what did or didn't work without making it personal. Every player has their strengths and weaknesses and the games reveal that. Constantly harping on it gets old and tiresome. I had to step away from the site a few times last year because of the negativity after certain games. Maybe it was a reflection of the pandemic or the mindset of the country overall, but last year got brutal at times. I would prefer that we find a way to "Accentuate the Positive, Eliminate the Negative, and don't mess with Mr. In Between." It will make for a much more enjoyable season.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

I look at other BE teams, like Creighton and Marquette, DePaul and Villanova. These are rising programs and I wonder how they are thinking about what the coming season holds. Creighton, for example, dazzled in the tournament, grit and talent let them play a little above their heads until they finally lost to SC. Jim Flanery has a tall task in front of him, managing the emotions and the hopes of his team, seeing if they can do it again. They accomplished great things, and even if they can't repeat it this season, it will still be wonderful for them.
Everyone on UConn’s schedule will be improved this year, regardless of conference affiliation. Go BIG or go home. With the addition of UConn to the Big East Conference, the member schools are forced to improve their women’s basketball teams. We saw the residue of those efforts last season. Expect more in the months and years to come.

That’s good for UConn and WCBB. The SEC is perceived by some to be the best conference in the country for women’s basketball. After getting an unprecedented 4 teams in the tournament last year, it would be fair to say that if the Big East is not one of the 6 best conferences in the country, they’re knocking on the door.

I would love to see ALL Big East teams be formidable this year and for the foreseeable future. Nothing is gained by playing cupcakes. They don't sharpen your iron and they don't help you prepare for the elite teams remaining on your schedule. I want to see UConn have to beat team's, not watch weak teams rollover after 5-6 minutes of play because they don't match up talent wise.

I’m a lot happier after a hard fought win over top 10 ranked Notre Dame or Tennessee than I am over an easy win against sub .500 win Georgetown. :confused:

Reaction Score
Maybe I’m an eternal optimist but Paige might come back better than ever, the other players probably come back improved and Ice and Ayanna might give us exactly what we need to take it all the way. With health and a little luck, I like our chances. Adding 2 top 5 prospects is huge and Lou is a proven commodity. I really like our chances. Best team out of the last 5.

Reaction Score
There is nothing I agree with regarding the OP and his comments on this thread. I'm a complete "180" vs the OP. This is a all fun for me. I'll never understand comments like the OP. In addition to many of the negative posts made/make.

The game -- watching it- and watching with family / friends and talking about it whether on here or outside of here is fun. It just seems quite a few posters (not saying the OP is) are just "miserable" until the last game is won. I don't know. I happen to love basketball. I love basketball. Maybe just some here that are more negative are fans of winning only the last game and not basketball? I don't know.

I just don't agree with the negative sentiment that has been so prevalent on here.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The new season will be a good one. I for one am looking forward to this version of the Huskies as they integrate the new talent into the current group of "kids" which was battle tested last year. We'll see what they learned. No mama E to look after them. Who will step up and take that role this year? Enquiring fans want to know. ;)

I don't know if they will continue the Final Four streak (although I think they certainly have a great shot). There are two teams out there that I feel may be more talented than the Huskies this year and I'm sure we all know who those two teams are. Other teams have outstanding players as well (though maybe not in the quantity of the "big three") that will have something to say about how the season goes. So, for me, I will be overjoyed if they get NC No. 12 and will be sad, but not crushed, if they don't get it. I think most fans likely feel that same way.

And when a game doesn't turn out the way we would like, I would hope that we don't pillory the players or the coaching staff. It's ok to discuss what did or didn't work without making it personal. Every player has their strengths and weaknesses and the games reveal that. Constantly harping on it gets old and tiresome. I had to step away from the site a few times last year because of the negativity after certain games. Maybe it was a reflection of the pandemic or the mindset of the country overall, but last year got brutal at times. I would prefer that we find a way to "Accentuate the Positive, Eliminate the Negative, and don't mess with Mr. In Between." It will make for a much more enjoyable season.
While I certainly concede that your two unnamed teams are capable of beating us, I have to disagree that either is “more talented”. As for No. 12, I guess time will tell. If we can stay healthy, I like our chances!

Reaction Score
Where's TonyC? He needs to address this.

Reaction Score
There is nothing I agree with regarding the OP and his comments on this thread. I'm a complete "180" vs the OP. This is a all fun for me. I'll never understand comments like the OP. In addition to many of the negative posts made/make.

The game -- watching it- and watching with family / friends and talking about it whether on here or outside of here is fun. It just seems quite a few posters (not saying the OP is) are just "miserable" until the last game is won. I don't know. I happen to love basketball. I love basketball. Maybe just some here that are more negative are fans of winning only the last game and not basketball? I don't know.

I just don't agree with the negative sentiment that has been so prevalent on here.
Huh? Agree with nothing? You and I are reading the OP very differently. I thought it was a good post from a real fan.

I don't like the negativity either. Hence my call out to TonyC above. I think we all need a little shot of Tony from time to time.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I'm in complete agreement with CL 82...

Remember when Geno was complaining about the low level and expectations
of his coaching colleagues...what was it...a decade ago?

You don't hear that anymore...people caught on, the level of fitness improved
Geno's approach was something less than rocket science
and much of it was reproducible

Take switching on D...so many teams do it just as well ask us.

The secrets are out and there are many good and dangerous teams
Can Geno stay a step ahead...do we have the talent?

Should be a fun season

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score

LOL, sorry, I was not trying to be negative. Of all the sports teams that I follow, UConn wbb is on top by a huge margin. I was just thinking about it the other day, seeing videos of years gone by, seeing the excitement in the faces of players and fans. I expect to win this year, and I will attend or watch on TV every game that is available. Just wanted to mention how tough it was to watch last season, but wild horses wouldn't keep me away from watching or supporting our team. Some people read things the wrong way, and I was not "miserable" watching, it was just not as joyful as it has in the past because of all the players missing. I love this team, always have and always will, and will support them until the day I die. I hope nobody will take this post the wrong way.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
I have greater expectations for this season than I had for last season. This coming season will have a new and more aggressive leadership with a determined mindset. We have two posts, Dorka and Aaliyah, with lots of game experience and have played at a high level. High potential Amari has practiced for one season and should understand by now the required intensity level for the games and practice. I think Isunah will surprise us, not as a starter but with solid play as a frosh. She won't be lost on the court. This is her dream, UCONN. I have not viewed Avanna's most recent games but I expect a bit less from her, however, she could be used not unlike Samarie Walker to body-up on players like SC's Boston. UCONN has two former national players of the year, Paige and Azzi. A healthy Caroline will be amazing. Nika is the team catalyst and energy source who, hopefully, has an improved shot. Although her three point percentage (34%) was only behind Azzi (43%) and Paige (35%). Aubrey could play at the wing or guard provided her offense improves and the "deer in the headlights" is gone. She potentially could reprise Gabby's role. Lou Lopez Sénécal is a wild card. Last season at Fairfield she shot 45% FG and 40% 3FG against perhaps a lower level of competition. If they can play to their potential, I think they are back into the NCAA finals against SC with a better front court. Assuming her wrist is not an issue, I think Dorka et al will be better than last year and win the NCAA championship.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
I suspect Geno's coaching philosophy was a whole new idea to many. Coach them not like women but ball players.
I think Leon Barmore may have had the same philosophy without the smart-ass part. ;):rolleyes: Pat Summitt treated her players as players, not girls. In any case see the video below. Sounds like whenever you hear Barmore, then you could substitute Auriemma. It will start at a point where some of his players including Kim Mulkey discuss Barmore. In the huddle he reminds mean of Geno. Sounds like he also treated his coaches as Geno does with trust. Some good stuff about Kim Mulkey as well.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I have greater expectations for this season than I had for last season. This coming season will have a new and more aggressive leadership with a determined mindset. We have two posts, Dorka and Aaliyah, with lots of game experience and have played at a high level. High potential Amari has practiced for one season and should understand by now the required intensity level for the games and practice. I think Isunah will surprise us, not as a starter but with solid play as a frosh. She won't be lost on the court. This is her dream, UCONN. I have not viewed Avanna's most recent games but I expect a bit less from her, however, she could be used not unlike Samarie Walker to body-up on players like SC's Boston. UCONN has two former national players of the year, Paige and Azzi. A healthy Caroline will be amazing. Nika is the team catalyst and energy source who, hopefully, has an improved shot. Although her three point percentage (34%) was only behind Azzi (43%) and Paige (35%). Aubrey could play at the wing or guard provided her offense improves and the "deer in the headlights" is gone. She potentially could reprise Gabby's role. Lou Lopez Sénécal is a wild card. Last season at Fairfield she shot 45% FG and 40% 3FG against perhaps a lower level of competition. If they can play to their potential, I think they are back into the NCAA finals against SC with a better front court. Assuming her wrist is not an issue, I think Dorka et al will be better than last year and win the NCAA championship.
Two former #1 recruits. Only one "former national player of the year." (Not belittling Azzi's talent or potential)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom