Way too Early Look at Next Season | The Boneyard

Way too Early Look at Next Season

Reaction Score
I must say at the outset that the 2020-21 team was better than anticipated by yours truly. I thought it would lose in the regional finals and so wrote in my personal bracket. Just making it back the the Final Four was a tremendous accomplishment, especially considering how inexperienced that Huskies are. The inexperience caught up against an inspired Arizona squad. I cannot think of any team except the 1994-95 one that has given me so much pleasure thanks to Paige Bueckers, Nika Mühl, and Aaliyah Edwards. They already rank among my all-time favorites.

What are the questions and what can we look forward to in next year’s team as we must endure more than seven months before the new season begins.

First of all, one of the biggest questions as the season approached its end was what Evina Westbrook was going to do. I thought that she would turn pro, but happily that is not the case. She is coming back because the team has unfinished business and hope that the entire team will approach the next season as did the 2001-02 championship team. They were pissed and were not going to lose again.

What about transfers? Will any of the current players enter the transfer portal for more playing time greener pastures, particularly since a loaded class of newbies will be descending upon Storrs during the summer and the vacancy expected by many has not occurred? Is there any possibility that UConn will accept/desire a transfer who can either provide some board muscle or Aari McDonald like quickness at guard? I doubt it.

As for the returnees, what can we expect? We know what we will probably be getting with seniors Olivia Nelson-Ododa and Christyn Williams, players who were expected to be of All-American quality but have fallen short thus far. Both played some high quality games over the past season and Williams had a good tournament despite some lapses on layups, foul shooting, and guarding Aari McDonald. ONO had only 1 point on 1-7 shooting against Arizona. If they can be solid role players and do what they do best, Williams driving to the basket and Ododa playing good defense and passing, that should be good enough. Westbrook will be a valuable return and a starter. As for rising juniors Aubrey Griffin and Anna Makurat, major questions remain. Can Griffin harness her aggressiveness, learn to play within the flow, and become a better shooter or shall she remain a bit player? Can Makurat rebound from what was largely a wasted season due to her injury by hitting the gym and working on getting her shot off quicker so that she can again be a major cog in the UConn machine? With regard to the second year players, we will continue to marvel at the play of Paige Bueckers and look forward to major improvements from Aaliyah Edwards and Nika Mühl. Can, however, Mir McLean and Piath Gabriel, particularly the latter, improve enough to be part of the rotation? A team can never have too many bigs and it would be nice for UConn to have enough for once.

As for the fabulous frosh - Amari DeBerry, Caroline Ducharme, Azzi Fudd, and Saylor Poffenbarger - we all expect great things. Poffenbarger dipped her toes in the water this season and should be ahead of the curve in preparing for the fall. A big guard with quick release should prove to be invaluable. Caroline Ducharme pretty much fills the same bill and she is supposed to be a better shooter. Assuming they both get minutes, would they play together or would one substitute for the other? DeBerry is a tall player, but from reports she is more of the ONO mold than the Edwards. From pictures, it looks as though she has a little more meat on her bones. Can she provide some muscle inside? Finally, there is Azzi Fudd. If she is as good a shooter as reports say, then look out.

We have six months to argue and debate about the starting five. My bet is that it will be the one that ended the season before Nika’s injury. In addition, we can discuss how many games, if any, the team might lose.

In addition, we will be interested to see if any more players give UConn verbal commitments between now and the start of practice. Two blue chippers Isunah Brady and Ayanna Patterson have committed for 2022 and who will be the third? I doubt that it will be Kiki Rice. My money is on Nika’s younger sister, assuming she qualifies as part of the 2022 class.

It looks on paper as this will be the deepest team the Huskies have had since 1999-2000 and it will be interesting to see how Geno manages a wealth of talent. Of course, what seems like too many good players could well be a lot less should there be serious injuries. Remember, what seemed like a fabulous 2000-01 team, indeed the deepest in UConn’s storied history, fell short due to season ending injuries to All-Americans Svetlana Abrosimova and Shea Ralph. And, the absence of Nika at full tilt for most of the tournament. The downside is that 10 on the squad will be either first or second year players, but with Westbrook returning we should not have to worry too much about senior leadership..

A final note. Even thought UConn will be loaded next season, Baylor, South Carolina, and Stanford are too, and the Huskies are by no means certain to win it all in 2021-22. Moreover, there is the question of how many quality players will take advantage of the NCAA decision to allow an extra year of eligibility for those on the roster this season and what effect that might have on powerhouse teams.

Only six and one half months to the start of practice.

Reaction Score
What this Boneyarder believed was going to be a slow off season as we awaited the start of fall practice has turned out to be not so quiet after all. Four major news items have occurred in less than two weeks - Evina Westbrook’s decision to return for her senior year, Anna Makurat leaving UConn, Dorka Juhasz transferring to UConn from Ohio State, and Vanderbilt’s decision to hire Shea Ralph as its next head coach.

As far as next year’s Husky team is concerned, the first and third events are by far the most significant. A good many including yours truly expected Westbrook to turn pro after her one season at UConn. She decided to remain because, as she stated, of unfinished business. The team will come out the big winner with the experience and leadership she brings for next season even though her minutes may well decrease. The signing of Dorka Juhasz, however, was a big surprise at least to me despite some on the board touting her once she entered the transfer portal. According to Fairfield Fan Coach Auriemma aggressively pursued her because Nelson-Odoba, despite her defensive prowess, good passing, and decent rebounding, exposed her weaknesses on the offensive end in the tournament, one that helps explain the unexpected loss to Arizona. She was ineffective against Iowa, Baylor, and Arizona. Geno probably figures that both Gabriel and DeBarry are at least a year away and something drastic needed to be done. At the very least, Juhasz provides another big with a somewhat different skill set in the mix.

Rather than debating who is and is not starting, I’m taking the tack of dividing the players into four categories (arranged in alphabetical order) and then thinking about floor possibilities.

Bigs - DeBarry, Gabriel, Juhasz, Nelson-Ododa

Power forwards - Edwards, Griffin, McLean

Wings - Ducharame, Poffenbarger, Westbrook, Williams (can also bring the ball up)

Guards - Bueckers, Chassion, Fudd, Mühl.

One can think of several possibilities for players on the floor, for example, 1 big, 1 power, 1 wing, 2 guards; 1 big, 2 wings, 2 guards (the most common configuration for last season; two bigs, 1wing, 2 guards, 1 big, 1 wing, 3 guards and so on.

The deep squad (assuming no serious injuries) can present a number of floor combinations, not to mention pressure defense that will speed up the game and lead to a number of turnovers. Then there is the possibility of using two separate squads to provide fresh bodies on the floor to present different looks to opponents, although this seems unlikely to me. I expect to see a good deal of the first and second combos with a lot of substitution is and out, for example, Williams substituted for by Ducharme and ODO by Juhasz. I look forward to seeing a much deeper rotation of 9 or 10 as in the 1999-2000 and 2000-01 seasons.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
What this Boneyarder believed was going to be a slow off season as we awaited the start of fall practice has turned out to be not so quiet after all. Four major news items have occurred in less than two weeks - Evina Westbrook’s decision to return for her senior year, Anna Makurat leaving UConn, Dorka Juhasz transferring to UConn from Ohio State, and Vanderbilt’s decision to hire Shea Ralph as its next head coach.

As far as next year’s Husky team is concerned, the first and third events are by far the most significant. A good many including yours truly expected Westbrook to turn pro after her one season at UConn. She decided to remain because, as she stated, of unfinished business. The team will come out the big winner with the experience and leadership she brings for next season even though her minutes may well decrease. The signing of Dorka Juhasz, however, was a big surprise at least to me despite some on the board touting her once she entered the transfer portal. According to Fairfield Fan Coach Auriemma aggressively pursued her because Nelson-Odoba, despite her defensive prowess, good passing, and decent rebounding, exposed her weaknesses on the offensive end in the tournament, one that helps explain the unexpected loss to Arizona. She was ineffective against Iowa, Baylor, and Arizona. Geno probably figures that both Gabriel and DeBarry are at least a year away and something drastic needed to be done. At the very least, Juhasz provides another big with a somewhat different skill set in the mix.

Rather than debating who is and is not starting, I’m taking the tack of dividing the players into four categories (arranged in alphabetical order) and then thinking about floor possibilities.

Bigs - DeBarry, Gabriel, Juhasz, Nelson-Ododa

Power forwards - Edwards, Griffin, McLean

Wings - Ducharame, Poffenbarger, Westbrook, Williams (can also bring the ball up)

Guards - Bueckers, Chassion, Fudd, Mühl.

One can think of several possibilities for players on the floor, for example, 1 big, 1 power, 1 wing, 2 guards; 1 big, 2 wings, 2 guards (the most common configuration for last season; two bigs, 1wing, 2 guards, 1 big, 1 wing, 3 guards and so on.

The deep squad (assuming no serious injuries) can present a number of floor combinations, not to mention pressure defense that will speed up the game and lead to a number of turnovers. Then there is the possibility of using two separate squads to provide fresh bodies on the floor to present different looks to opponents, although this seems unlikely to me. I expect to see a good deal of the first and second combos with a lot of substitution is and out, for example, Williams substituted for by Ducharme and ODO by Juhasz. I look forward to seeing a much deeper rotation of 9 or 10 as in the 1999-2000 and 2000-01 seasons.
An interesting division of the talent, but I might do it a bit differently:
Centers - Nelson-Ododa, Gabriel, DeBerry (Juhasz, Edwards)

(Power) Forwards - Juhasz, Griffin, Edwards, McLean (DeBerry)

Wings/SG - Westbrook, Williams, Chassion, Poffenbarger, Fudd, Ducharame (Griffin, Bueckers, McLean)

PG - Bueckers, Mühl. (Westbrook, Williams)

Those in (Blue) listed on a second line as 'secondary' positions. Sequence determined by entry class not by playing rank within their positions.

Wings are primarily jump shooters, while forwards are at the rim scorers/rebounders. My hope is that both Aubrey and Mir become more capable as jump shooters, but currently they are not, or have not shown that ability. They are quick enough to play perimeter defense and their height suggest beyond college they will be more 'wing' than forward, but the skills need to be expanded.

DeBerry I am not sure I have slotted correctly and we'll be better informed once next season begins. Juhasz by inclination/strength and Edwards by height are more forward than center. Ono will always be a center at CT.

PG is pretty obvious - Chassion will never be a primary ball handler, and Paige will be the most fluid in role based on the players on the court with her. The only other primary ball handlers I see on the roster are Westbrook and Williams, though Saylor/Caroline might surprise us.

Geno and the coaches like to create simple roles for freshmen that they can focus on when he has the depth to do so. DT, KML, Lou = spot up shooter, Kelly, Morgan = defensive stalwart, etc. I think Fudd and Caroline will probably be designated spot up shooters. Saylor is an interesting issue - Geno already called her very smart/intelligent and she got her few minutes as 'spot up shooter' this year - she might get a slightly more challenging set of responsibilities next season.

Geno has mentioned full court/trapping defense for next year and he has the bodies to do it - Mir and Aubrey may become central to that playing that middle defender spot that Stewart often occupied - they don't have her height but they have the quickness and length and quick leaping to be effective there.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
From UcMiami's post, notice the flexibility of parts. Players can be slotted in different spots depending on the game situations. This is Geno's "positionless basketball." A player is more valuable if they can play more than one position.

Reaction Score
IMO, the team has eight core starters;
Ono, Dorka, Alijah

Paige, Azzi, Evina, CW, Nika

Anyone else getting time will be because of injuries or foul trouble. With the talent pool of the remaining seven, it would be nice to see the entire fourth quarter used for mop up duty in con competitive games.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Ono, Dorka, Alijah

Anyone else getting time will be because of injuries or foul trouble. With the talent pool of the remaining seven, it would be nice to see the entire fourth quarter used for mop up duty in con competitive games.
As you are being so selective, I would actually say six core starters, and move both Azzi and Dorka to the bench - they both have significant learning curves at Uconn, and I don't see either starting in 2021 (come Jan 2022 all bets are off.) I don't see any of the 6 playing 20 minutes in the first half, and probably not 15 minutes either except maybe in early games against top 10 teams. There is too much talent on the bench not to get the sixth player plus Dorka and Azzi some minutes as well as unnamed others.

Reaction Score
Ono, Dorka, Alijah

Do you think the core 8 can win the national championship? Stanford and South Carolina will be mighty good.....

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Do you think the core 8 can win the national championship? Stanford and South Carolina will be mighty good.....
They will. Their are going to be some epic battles in WBB the next few years. That's a good thing.

Keep in mind that (random) list didn't include Amari DeBarry (#5 HS player) or Caroline Ducharme (who beat Fudd in a three point contest) or even Saylor Poffenberger (#17). I suspect they will contribute. Nor the amazingly athletic junior Aubrey Griffen, Mir McLean or Piath Garbriel who will be available. UConn will be incredibly deep, as are Stanford and SC.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
Just for fun, I took the approach of building 3 tiers of 5 players (based on a gut-level assessment of their relative skill level and experience) with full understanding that there are many unknowns. Tier 1 is my opening day starting line-up but I would not be surprised if Tiers 1 and 2 did some swapping as the season progresses.
Tier 1- Paige, Christyn, Evina, Aaliyah, Liv​
Tier 2- Nika, Azzi, Dorka, Caroline, Aubrey​
Tier 3- Autumn, Saylor, Piath, Mir, Amari​

My first thought after putting these to paper was that 2nd tier could be a very successful Big East team that would likely qualify for the Big Dance with the addition of a couple of subs picked up off Tier 3. We B DEEP!

Geno seems to have issued a pretty clear challenge to Liv. She must be well aware that running up numbers against out-manned Big East teams is fine, but your performance in big games is what establishes your true value and legacy. For example, what do you think of when you think of Kelly Schumacher's career? [HINT: Kelly's Block Party] I think Liv will be better in her last year but how much better? No idea. Dorka will have designs on those minutes and she didn't come here to spectate.

Can Aaliyah really come off the bench again? After what we've seen and the kind of praise Geno heaps on her, I think she starts. Even if she shows only modest improvement next season she's probably in the conversation on some All-America teams. How do you keep her off the court right from the tip?

This has to be Christyn's year to shine wire to wire all season. She's so strong around the hoop and a very capable shooter from mid- to deep-range. She also goes very hard on the D. If she can stay out of her own head next year, she's gonna be great and might get to the goal she set when she came here.

I don't see Nika starting when all is said and done. That could change if she gets more offensive punch in her game. How many times did you see Nika come open in/near the paint and you disrupted the family and pets shouting "SHOOT!!". Can't be just me. Nika needs to watch Jen Riz and Sue Bird tape on an endless loop. Less Ticha Penicheiro, more Sue/Jen.

Paige will get better. 'Nuff said.

Evina made a big commitment staying here and I doubt that will be lost on Geno, who values commitment and loyalty above nearly everything else. I don't know if she can regain some of her early-career explosiveness, but I'd love to see it.

Azzi. Will she get here and blow my little tier-scheme out of the water? As it is, I'm giving her a real chance to be the first guard off the bench (sorry Nika). Could she end up a starter? I suspect 6th Woman of the Year and lots of minutes.

Caroline. Seems very talented and motivated. I wonder if she can play D at this level and get herself open enough to get her shot off. I have no answers, but I'm looking forward to seeing her play. She's Tier 2 based on highlight reels and fan hype... unreliable but intriguing.

With all this talent Aubrey will have to do more than be a disruptive defender, but Geno hints at doing lots of pressing. Aubrey feeds on pressured passes.

Tier 3. Saylor was not impressive last season (not surprising given her situation) but has the advantage of months of experience now. She should come in well prepared. Piath remains a project, but there were glimmers of what could be. A sophomore leap would be fun to see. Uber-athletic Mir just could not establish herself last season. At times she looked like she was going in every direction at once. If she can focus her energy she could find a place on the floor in a pressing defense. Amari is a total unknown to me, but I believe at least some of the buzz. Her time will come post-ONO, I think.

Autumn. The best season and a great kid who could be a D-2 starter. I hope she is getting what she needs from her UConn experience.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Just for fun, I took the approach of building 3 tiers of 5 players (based on a gut-level assessment of their relative skill level and experience) with full understanding that there are many unknowns. Tier 1 is my opening day starting line-up but I would not be surprised if Tiers 1 and 2 did some swapping as the season progresses.
Tier 1- Paige, Christyn, Evina, Aaliyah, Liv​
Tier 2- Nika, Azzi, Dorka, Caroline, Aubrey​
Tier 3- Autumn, Saylor, Piath, Mir, Amari​

My first thought after putting these to paper was that 2nd tier could be a very successful Big East team that would likely qualify for the Big Dance with the addition of a couple of subs picked up off Tier 3. We B DEEP!

Geno seems to have issued a pretty clear challenge to Liv. She must be well aware that running up numbers against out-manned Big East teams is fine, but your performance in big games is what establishes your true value and legacy. For example, what do you think of when you think of Kelly Schumacher's career? [HINT: Kelly's Block Party] I think Liv will be better in her last year but how much better? No idea. Dorka will have designs on those minutes and she didn't come here to spectate.

Can Aaliyah really come off the bench again? After what we've seen and the kind of praise Geno heaps on her, I think she starts. Even if she shows only modest improvement next season she's probably in the conversation on some All-America teams. How do you keep her off the court right from the tip?

This has to be Christyn's year to shine wire to wire all season. She's so strong around the hoop and a very capable shooter from mid- to deep-range. She also goes very hard on the D. If she can stay out of her own head next year, she's gonna be great and might get to the goal she set when she came here.

I don't see Nika starting when all is said and done. That could change if she gets more offensive punch in her game. How many times did you see Nika come open in/near the paint and disrupt the family and pets shouting "SHOOT!!". Can't be just me. Nika needs to watch Jen Riz and Sue Bird tape on an endless loop. Less Ticha Penicheiro, more Sue/Jen.

Paige will get better. 'Nuff said.

Evina made a big commitment staying here and I doubt that will be lost on Geno, who values commitment and loyalty above nearly everything else. I don't know if she can regain some of her early-career explosiveness, but I'd love to see it.

Azzi. Will she get here and blow my little tier-scheme out of the water? As it is, I'm giving her a real chance to be the first guard off the bench (sorry Nika). Could she end up a starter? I suspect 6th Woman of the Year and lots of minutes.

Caroline. Seems very talented and motivated. I wonder if she can play D at this level and get herself open enough to get her shot off. I have no answers but I'm looking forward to seeing her play. She's Tier 2 based on highlight reels and fan hype... unreliable but intriguing.

With all this talent Aubrey will have to do more than be a disruptive defender, but Geno hints at doing lots of pressing. Aubrey feeds on pressured passes.

Tier 3. Saylor was not impressive last season (not surprising given her situation) but has the advantage of months of experience now. She should come in well prepared. Piath remains a project, but there were glimmers of what could be. A sophomore leap would be fun to see. Uber-athletic Mir just could not establish herself last season. At times she looked like she was going in every direction at once. If she can focus her energy she could find a place on the floor in a pressing defense. Amari is a total unknown to me, but I believe at least some of the buzz. Her time will come post-ONO, I think.

Autumn. The best season and a great kid who could be a D-2 starter. I hope she is getting what she needs from her UConn experience.
This is probably the assessment I agree with the most, especially the comments about Liv, very important senior year and I do expect her to be better. Evina coming back is huge, not just for her leadership but she will also be another year removed from her knee surgery. We've only seen a small sample of the complete Westbrook game. I expect her and CW to have big senior years. Aaliyah is a future AA, no question. As a freshman she wasnt bullied by anyone, while she left her impression on everyone she played! she is ready to take off.
Who am I forgetting? oh yeah Pistol Paige was the best player in the country as a freshman, I only expect greatness from here on out.
The X factor in all of this is Azzi if she is as good as advertised, and many say she is better than Paige, this team can only be beaten by injuries. The core of this team has already beaten SoCarolina and Baylor that is important for a young team going into next season.

Reaction Score
I have quite a bit of confidence regarding improvement from some of our players. Everyone may get a little better of course but I think Nika, Aaliyah and maybe Evina could show a big leap. In Nika's case her early numbers were terrible, and like Anna the year before she was 0 for America for a while. She had injuries early and late, started very foul prone but toned that down as the season wore on, and in some ways I think she was very restrained in terms of making things happen on the offensive end. I was very surprised she did not have way more assists, but she is a little turnover prone, and I think Geno probably restrained her penetration for fear of turnovers, but she is capable of creating good looks for perimeter and interior shots if she gains Geno's confidence a bit and is not too careless. With the injuries and trying to fit her style with the system last year, she has an opportunity to be much better this season.

In Aaliyah's case her numbers scoring down low were exceptional, and as Geno has suggested warrants getting her many more touches next year. Her defense and rebounding were good and overall we got tremendous production from her as a rookie, and yet she had a few statistical areas were she can improve substantially. Her assists, turnovers, and personal fouls were not good at all. Those are the kind of categories that usually show improvement with experience, and particularly in the Uconn system. So she did great, but because of those categories, she still has plenty of upside just by cleaning up those categories.

In Evina's case, I was surprised she came back. But because of her decision, I suspect she may have been bothered by her knee a lot more than I might have thought. We know her practice time was curtailed somewhat, and in addressing next year's team, and the possibility of playing full court, Geno suggested Evina's knees and Anna's injury didn't allow him to consider that. Also in the NBA it has been true over and over again that players returning from knee injuries can make a contribution the next season, but don't fully recover until the second year after surgery. If true for her as well, we could see a major improvement from her just because of getting her health back.

So everyone may be better, but those three in particular could potentially make a big leap.

Reaction Score
Looking at next year and I see 3 tiers of player.

Tier 1 - ONO, Westbrook, Williams, Bueckers, Edwards, Muhl, Fudd
Tier 2 - Griffin, Juhasz, McLean, DeBarry, Ducharme, Poffenberger
Tier 3 - Chasison, Gabriel

Tier 1 is pretty simple to me, players that when healthy will be in the rotation. Tier 3 is long term projects who probably won't see much time this coming season. Tier 2 is the battle for time. Juhasz will probably be moved to tier 1 quickly. That leaves 5 really talented players fighting it out for two spots in the rotation. Will be interesting to see how it shakes out.

Reaction Score
There is one sub-team that will have to sort things out. How they do it, and how they handle both the internal competition and the emotional stress, will be a major factor for the entire team. That sub-team is the front court of Edwards, ONO, DeBerry, Gabriel, and Juhasz in the post. And then there are the forwards Poffenbarger, Ducharme, Griffin, and McLean. Since Coach Geno interchanges his front court players, and even forwards and guards, there is no clear-cut delineation of who plays what position. And that means no clear-cut number of minutes that will be divvied up between that sub-team. Coach Geno could go with four guards and a post, or with a point guard, shooting guard, and three forwards, or two guards, a forward, and two posts, as he did after Muhl went down with an injury.

But if he's considering the front court separately, it's nine players who could be vying for one to three positions at any one time. So it's not just ONO and Edwards versus Juhasz and DeBerry, which would be fine if Coach Geno were committed to having two of them on the court at any one time. But he's not. ONO could find herself fighting for playing time against Ducharme and Poffenbarger, or against a rejuvenated Griffin.

I can't recall any UConn team that had so many talented players on the bench vying for starter status, or even significant playing time. Though many BY'er's talk about this being a blessing, I think this is going to be a major area of stress among the players. Could be positive. Or not....

Reaction Score
Why not play as many players as possible if they're capable? UConn has the bench, which should be a strength, but it's not a strength if you don't use those players. Paige, Christyn, Evina, Olivia, Aaliyah, Nika, Dorka, Saylor, Amari, Caroline, Aubrey. That's 11 players who should get minutes. If anyone falters, there's plenty of talent to fill in. The players can't be effective if they don't play.

Reaction Score
Geno said in passing that he wanted to change the way UConn plays because of greater depth, including full court coverage. First, Nika had injury issues, then Anna had a fracture.....so he ditched the idea.

For next year, there will be no such constraint even with an injury or two. Full court pressure in on the table; substitution in waves, have set units, mix and match combinations to counter opponents, have four (or even five) 3-pt shooters in moments during a game, best defensive combination depending on opponent capabilities, best running team combination, etc.

I wouldn't prejudge abilities of each player, especially when data is limited re: such a young team (still). This will be an intense preparation Summer for UConn to sort out all these things that open possibilities to a variety of approaches to game conditions.....instead of the singular style they were forced to play when the roster had no depth. The concept is great but a lot of work to turn them into a well-oiled juggernaut is ahead - the coaching staff is going to enjoy it. Too bad, Shea will not be around to help with the guards.....the replacement had better be good.

Beyond the obvious (Paige, Azzi, Christyn, Evina and the posts), I think Nika and Caroline will be very important, for different reasons: especially if Nika improves her shooting, Caroline improves her defense and you end up with essentially two starting fives for almost any team in the country (but for a handful), which you can deploy in a game at any time.....reinforcing the possibility of long stretches of using pressure defense.

One regret: I don't think this team has the speed to be an elite full-court press team but their length top to bottom will help them in that regard for long stretches, if coach wants to use it.

It will be a joy or a nightmare for Geno to think of ways to get the most out of this roster and ensure winning the NC in Minneapolis just like they did in 1995.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
An interesting division of the talent, but I might do it a bit differently:
Centers - Nelson-Ododa, Gabriel, DeBerry (Juhasz, Edwards)

(Power) Forwards - Juhasz, Griffin, Edwards, McLean (DeBerry)

Wings/SG - Westbrook, Williams, Chassion, Poffenbarger, Fudd, Ducharame (Griffin, Bueckers, McLean)

PG - Bueckers, Mühl. (Westbrook, Williams)

Those in (Blue) listed on a second line as 'secondary' positions. Sequence determined by entry class not by playing rank within their positions.

Wings are primarily jump shooters, while forwards are at the rim scorers/rebounders. My hope is that both Aubrey and Mir become more capable as jump shooters, but currently they are not, or have not shown that ability. They are quick enough to play perimeter defense and their height suggest beyond college they will be more 'wing' than forward, but the skills need to be expanded.

DeBerry I am not sure I have slotted correctly and we'll be better informed once next season begins. Juhasz by inclination/strength and Edwards by height are more forward than center. Ono will always be a center at CT.

PG is pretty obvious - Chassion will never be a primary ball handler, and Paige will be the most fluid in role based on the players on the court with her. The only other primary ball handlers I see on the roster are Westbrook and Williams, though Saylor/Caroline might surprise us.

Geno and the coaches like to create simple roles for freshmen that they can focus on when he has the depth to do so. DT, KML, Lou = spot up shooter, Kelly, Morgan = defensive stalwart, etc. I think Fudd and Caroline will probably be designated spot up shooters. Saylor is an interesting issue - Geno already called her very smart/intelligent and she got her few minutes as 'spot up shooter' this year - she might get a slightly more challenging set of responsibilities next season.

Geno has mentioned full court/trapping defense for next year and he has the bodies to do it - Mir and Aubrey may become central to that playing that middle defender spot that Stewart often occupied - they don't have her height but they have the quickness and length and quick leaping to be effective there.
Has anyone stopped to think that Chassion is at UCONN to become an effective Coach at the D I level?

One does not have to be the greatest player ever to be an outstanding coach....

Reaction Score
They will. Their are going to be some epic battles in WBB the next few years. That's a good thing.

Keep in mind that (random) list didn't include Amari DeBarry (#5 HS player) or Caroline Ducharme (who beat Fudd in a three point contest) or even Saylor Poffenberger (#17). I suspect they will contribute. Nor the amazingly athletic junior Aubrey Griffen, Mir McLean or Piath Garbriel who will be available. UConn will be incredibly deep, as are Stanford and SC.
It will be the match-ups on the floor, and who is playing well on any given day or evening that will matter. I believe Geno/CD and company will be up to the rapid fire chess match that will ensue with the other top four teams in the nation when they meet in the 2021-2022 season.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It will be the match-ups on the floor, and who is playing well on any given day or evening that will matter. I believe Geno/CD and company will be up to the rapid fire chess match that will ensue with the other top four teams in the nation when they meet in the 2021-2022 season.
They'll have options, for sure, and when they do, it is unwise to bet against them. (Heck it is unwise to bet against them even when they don't.)

Reaction Score
There is one sub-team that will have to sort things out. How they do it, and how they handle both the internal competition and the emotional stress, will be a major factor for the entire team. That sub-team is the front court of Edwards, ONO, DeBerry, Gabriel, and Juhasz in the post. And then there are the forwards Poffenbarger, Ducharme, Griffin, and McLean. Since Coach Geno interchanges his front court players, and even forwards and guards, there is no clear-cut delineation of who plays what position. And that means no clear-cut number of minutes that will be divvied up between that sub-team. Coach Geno could go with four guards and a post, or with a point guard, shooting guard, and three forwards, or two guards, a forward, and two posts, as he did after Muhl went down with an injury.

But if he's considering the front court separately, it's nine players who could be vying for one to three positions at any one time. So it's not just ONO and Edwards versus Juhasz and DeBerry, which would be fine if Coach Geno were committed to having two of them on the court at any one time. But he's not. ONO could find herself fighting for playing time against Ducharme and Poffenbarger, or against a rejuvenated Griffin.

I can't recall any UConn team that had so many talented players on the bench vying for starter status, or even significant playing time. Though many BY'er's talk about this being a blessing, I think this is going to be a major area of stress among the players. Could be positive. Or not....
This is big time college athletics, competition is ALWAYS a good thing. Again, these are not little girls playing in a catholic league. Nor should they be treated as such. I know this HOF coach will not treat them as such. You come here to be apart of greatness you should at least be prepared for a little competition.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom